Anyone heard the Live Zappa/Pink Floyd Jam '69?

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
FZ and PF jammed on Interstellar Overdrive on 10/25/69 at the Actuel
Festival in Belgium. Last I heard a private collector had the film of it
but wouldn't release it. I think the audio is out there...has anyone heard
it?

-Nik

Knut Skogstad

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

It's The Amougies Festival. And yes, I've got a copy of it...

Knut
--
To reply: Remove NOSPAM from the e-mail address.

"The largest flying land mammal is the absent mind"

Don Van Vliet

dukeo...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
In article <01be4323$8d49e860$7a8bfcd0@default>,

"Nik Lowenberg" <Lowenber...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> FZ and PF jammed on Interstellar Overdrive on 10/25/69 at the Actuel
> Festival in Belgium. Last I heard a private collector had the film of it
> but wouldn't release it. I think the audio is out there...has anyone heard
> it?
>
> -Nik

I would love to believe this is true, but I can't believe it is. And I think
this has gone around and around and around and nobody else believes it. Those
who can prove otherwise, present yerselves!

the duke.

--
Visit the FZ CC Book of Days at
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Cabaret/9519/index.html

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99

> It's The Amougies Festival. And yes, I've got a copy of it...

How is it? Good quality? Is the jam any good?

-Nik

Patrick Neve

Jan 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/18/99
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Knut Skogstad wrote:

> Nik Lowenberg wrote:
> >
> > FZ and PF jammed on Interstellar Overdrive on 10/25/69 at the Actuel
> > Festival in Belgium. Last I heard a private collector had the film of it
> > but wouldn't release it. I think the audio is out there...has anyone heard
> > it?
> >
> > -Nik
>

> It's The Amougies Festival. And yes, I've got a copy of it...

Then the Amougies festival and the Actuel Festival are one and the same?
There seem to be two different dates:
10/25/69 and 11/17/69... which is it?
Also, I thought it was spelled "D'Amiogies".

I thought there was an unproduced film called "Music Power" or something
which was to feature this.. what can you tell me about the real title of
the show?

Someone please tell the whole scoop on this film!!!

Thanks,
Patrick

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~splat/videography.html

James Diesel

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
Didn`t Beefhart appear at this Festival also?

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99

> Then the Amougies festival and the Actuel Festival are one and the same?
> There seem to be two different dates:
> 10/25/69 and 11/17/69... which is it?
> Also, I thought it was spelled "D'Amiogies".
>
> I thought there was an unproduced film called "Music Power" or something
> which was to feature this.. what can you tell me about the real title of
> the show?
>
> Someone please tell the whole scoop on this film!!!

There was no show on 11/17/69. 10/25/69 is the correct date. The Actuel
Festival was held at Mont de I'Enclus in Amougies, Belgium. It was going
to be the first ever rock festival in France, but the promoters couldn't
get a licence, so they tried another place in France and then finally ended
up in Belgium.

See my other post for video details.

-Nik

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99

> I would love to believe this is true, but I can't believe it is. And I
think
> this has gone around and around and around and nobody else believes it.

What? The film? Um...yeah, there is a film. Two documentaries were made
of the festival and one called Music Power featured Pink Floyd and it went
on the French cinema circiut in June '70. It is highly probable that the
jam was filmed as it was played in the middle of the set (as opposed to an
encore or at a different time all together). Now, I haven't seen the film
and the jam may not be in it. It could be on the editing room's floor.
But I read somewhere else that a private collector had it.

-Nik

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99

> Didn`t Beefhart appear at this Festival also?

Dunno, but why didn't FZ and PF jam at other festivals together? Like at
Bath 6/27/70.

-Nik

Cle4d

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
>Subject: Re: Anyone heard the Live Zappa/Pink Floyd Jam '69?

>Didn`t Beefhart appear at this Festival also?

Yes, Capt Beefheart was there. FZ introduces him to the crowd.

Cleavon

Stephen Williams

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
I saw this movie in Montreal this past summer. There is some Pink Floyd
footage, also FZ and some CB but no Intersteller Overdrive. Boy what a
shitty movie, like woodstock on that brown acid! Zappa introduces the
Captain, and plays a little guitar with an other band. PF plays a couple
of songs, maybe Eugine and I forget the other one. I had read about the
FZ/PF jam, and was dissapointed that it was not in the film. Boy what a
horrible film! Steve

It Never Entered My Mind

Jan 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/19/99
On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 00:34:38 -0500 (EST), sw...@webtv.net (Stephen
Williams) wrote:

>I saw this movie in Montreal this past summer. There is some Pink Floyd
>footage, also FZ and some CB but no Intersteller Overdrive. Boy what a

>shitty movie [... ] Boy what a horrible film!

Thanks for telling us about it ... and how bad it is.

Drew

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

Stephen Williams wrote in message
<15627-36...@newsd-121.bryant.webtv.net>...

I saw this movie in Montreal this past summer.

Under what title?

Drew

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

>But I read somewhere else that a private collector had it.

I've heard the audio of IO, and it's my opinion Zappa does not participate.
At least the piece I heard.

jwbr...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
I thought this was a rumor that Zappa had put to rest, but damned if I can
remember where.

Maybe Biffy can enlighten us if he finds the time to check in.

John Brower

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99

> and it's my opinion Zappa does not participate.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did as newspaper reported on it. Plus it's
legendary and legends are usually based on truth...

-Nik

Stephen Williams

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
The movie was shown under the title "Amougies" at La Cinematheque
quebecoise on June 4,1998 in Montreal. Steve

Charles Ulrich

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In article <01be4589$21e5d8a0$0913fed0@default>, "Nik Lowenberg"
<Lowenber...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Like the one about eating shit on stage, right?

--Charles

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99

> Like the one about eating shit on stage, right?

Don't know about that one...was that in a reputable newspaper?

-Nik

Drew

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
>> and it's my opinion Zappa does not participate.
>
>Yeah, I'm pretty sure he did as newspaper reported on it. Plus it's
>legendary and legends are usually based on truth...

It's too bad nobody asked Zappa! maybe they did? Now I have interviews where
he mentions people he has played with like Lennon, Hendrix (twice), but no
mention of Floyd in that one. We need to research this!

Dan B.

Jan 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/22/99
Ha ha--that was a good one!

Biffyshrew

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Drew wrote:

>I've heard the audio of IO, and it's my

>opinion Zappa does not participate.

It's my understanding that the tape in circulation purporting to be the
Amougies "Interstellar Overdrive" is not Amougies at all.

Your pal,
Biffy the Elephant Shrew @}-`--}----
Visit me at http://members.aol.com/biffyshrew/biffy.html
"An informed public will always choose the descant recorder."--M. Armand Vliet

Biffyshrew

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
John Brower wrote:

>I thought this was a rumor that Zappa had put to rest, but damned if I can
>remember where.

In Society Pages USA #2, Zappa stated unequivocally that he did not play
onstage with Pink Floyd. Then two issues later, they turned up a photo of the
jam, showing FZ ca. 1969 onstage with a guy who is identifiably Nick Mason and
another guy with a P-Bass whose face isn't visible but whose hunched posture is
that of Roger Waters...

Craig

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
jwbr...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message
<7883m8$764$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>I thought this was a rumor that Zappa had put to rest, but damned if I can
>remember where.
>
>Maybe Biffy can enlighten us if he finds the time to check in.
>
>John Brower

There has been a photograph published in the 1970's, that was re-printed in
one of the Society Pages (USA) fanzines that shows FZ on stage with Pink
Floyd at Amougies. I believe Dominique Chevalier forwarded it on to Den &
Rob to help clear up the matter, after FZ stated in one of his interviews
with Society Pages that he didn't play with the Floyd. Sorry but I don't
remember which adition of SP it was in.
--

regards
Craig Jones

jwbr...@my-dejanews.com

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
In article <19990122200746...@ng-fd1.aol.com>,
biffy...@aol.communists (Biffyshrew) wrote:

> In Society Pages USA #2, Zappa stated unequivocally that he did not play
> onstage with Pink Floyd. Then two issues later, they turned up a photo of the
> jam, showing FZ ca. 1969 onstage with a guy who is identifiably Nick Mason and
> another guy with a P-Bass whose face isn't visible but whose hunched posture is
> that of Roger Waters...

As usual, the Shrewish power of recall comes to the rescue.

When Bill Gates buys out the developer of the first neural microchip, Biffy
can still breathe easy.

Johan Lif

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
Drew <MK/BFD...@Mistakes.com> wrote:

> It's too bad nobody asked Zappa! maybe they did? Now I have interviews where
> he mentions people he has played with like Lennon, Hendrix (twice), but no
> mention of Floyd in that one. We need to research this!

An interview with PF drummer Nick Mason mentions this Amougies jam with
Zappa; I remember him saying something to the effect that "very few
people have the right personality to play with us", but what Zappa did
was "terribly right".

Johan

Patrick Neve

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99

This makes me foam at the mouth. I sure hope footage of this sees the
light of day while I'm alive.

Drew

Jan 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/23/99
>>I've heard the audio of IO, and it's my
>>opinion Zappa does not participate.
>
>It's my understanding that the tape in circulation purporting to be the
>Amougies "Interstellar Overdrive" is not Amougies at all.

That is probably what I have, which is buried somewhere!
If anyone thinks they actually have this recording please send me a copy! I
have lot's to trade!

slo train

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
Must have been a GREAT show, but unfortunately the only people who
remember it are Zappa, Mason, and Gilmore... everybody else was eating
the beige acid.

Slo-Train

DartheadNY

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99
I just recently listened to what The dynamic Eric Buxton calls "The Interview
of the Century" where he and Den Simms interviewed Frank at his house for
almost 4 hours . They asked Frank that question , if he had played with Floyd
as rumored and Frank said No. He was at the show which featured many acts where
he introduced certain bands and jammed with Ansly Dunbar , but " did not play
with Pink Floyd".
And that is right from Franks mouth...

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

Only one problem with that, he did jam with Pink Floyd onstage in Amourgies
'69. Melody Maker and others reported on it. We've established that FZ
said something to the contrary, I'm sure he had some reason to deny playing
(we'll never know that reason probably). He did the jam...that's final.

-Nik

Michael Pierry

Jan 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/28/99

Maybe he didn't want people to know, because he was totally embarrassed to
have played with a band that SUCKS A BIG FAT DONKEY DICK!!! If I saw any of
those guys from Pink Floyd, I'd crap in my hand and throw it at them! Because
they SUCK. Especially the revered Syd Barrett-psychedelic Alice-in-Wonderland
psychedelic "See Emily Play with herself" bullshit.

(This post was brought to you by Ian Penman on five shots of cheap whiskey.)
--
"Is that a wheel of cheese in your pocket or are you... um... some kind of
lumpy person?" - Matt Baume

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

> Maybe he didn't want people to know, because he was totally embarrassed
> have played with a band that SUCKS A BIG FAT DONKEY DICK!!! If I saw any
of
> those guys from Pink Floyd, I'd crap in my hand and throw it at them!
Because
> they SUCK. Especially the revered Syd Barrett-psychedelic
Alice-in-Wonderland
> psychedelic "See Emily Play with herself" bullshit.
>
> (This post was brought to you by Ian Penman on five shots of cheap
whiskey.)

Wow, that's harsh. The Floyd rule. I can't stand Barrett either, but a
lot of their stuff is great. Echoes, parts of Dark Side of the Moon, their
live shit, Point Me at the Sky, etc...

-Nik

Michael Pierry

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

Sorry, it was a joke. That's my bizarre sense of humor when I'm trying to unwind.

StucoHomes

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
>I can't stand Barrett either, but a
>lot of their stuff is great. Echoes,

If i had to choose three main influences on me as a songwriter, they'd be Frank
Zappa, Syd Barrett, and Robert Wyatt, in no particular order.

But what do I know?
-----
Jody - aka Jack Armstrong/Stucco Homes
"Write it down for me, I'll put it in mein column next week..." - faust
"Iao Zai Zao Mai Mao Tai Tao Now" - Daevid Allen
"..then I laid down on the couch and I got my snooze on..." - Arbuckle Jones

Ray Dittmeier

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
My friend "Nik Lowenberg" <Lowenber...@worldnet.att.net>
translated from the original Sanskrit text:

>> I just recently listened to what The dynamic Eric Buxton calls "The
>Interview
>> of the Century" where he and Den Simms interviewed Frank at his house for
>> almost 4 hours . They asked Frank that question , if he had played with
>Floyd
>> as rumored and Frank said No. He was at the show which featured many acts
>where
>> he introduced certain bands and jammed with Ansly Dunbar , but " did not
>play
>> with Pink Floyd".
>> And that is right from Franks mouth...
>
>Only one problem with that, he did jam with Pink Floyd onstage in Amourgies
>'69. Melody Maker and others reported on it. We've established that FZ
>said something to the contrary, I'm sure he had some reason to deny playing
>(we'll never know that reason probably). He did the jam...that's final.

Maybe it would be best to think of Zappa's comment in this context:
The YCDTOSA liner notes.

--
Mother Nature's a mad scientist, Jerry!
--Cosmo Kramer

cr2...@geocities.com

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99
I want the guy with the whiskey to come back.what else does a true zappa fan
despise!

Nik Lowenberg

Jan 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/29/99

> But what do I know?

> "Iao Zai Zao Mai Mao Tai Tao Now" - Daevid Allen

You apparently know that Gong rules! Gong '75 is great too: no Daevid
Allen, new violin player, and they're still crazy as hell!

-Nik

Doug Jackson

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
Yeah Biffy,
I've got a copy of that same photo.
Frank did vibrate the strings with Pink Floyd.
I also have a copy of the Society Pages Interveiew
referrenced several times earlier in this string.
Don't remember if Frank denied "playing music"
with PF (don't wanna dig it out of storage now)
but the photo looks legit.

Doug Jackson
tri...@erols.com
http://207.96.8.144/