Zappa/Hendrix Strat on the Auction Block

NudeAdGuy

May 1, 2002, 3:00:09 PM5/1/02
A co-worker just wandered into my office with an E-bay motors and music
catalogue, announcing an auction the weekend of May 31-June 2, at the Mandalay
Bay in Las Vegas.

One of the items up for grabs: (I'll Transcribe exactly what it says 'cause I'm
a nice guy):

"Jimi Hendrix 'Burning' Guitar, The legendary 1967 Hendrix/Zappa Fender
Stratocaster guitar originally owned by Jimi Hendrix and set on fire by Jimi at
the 1968 Monterey Pop Festival. After the incendiary performance the charred
guitar was given to Jimi's friend legendary rocker Frank Zappa, who also
performed at the Festival.

Frank Zappa restored the Hendrix/Zappa guitar and played it throughout the
70's. Dweezil later found it in pieces underneath a staircase in the Zappa home
in the mid '80s and rebuilt the Hendrix/Zappa guitar. Today, the guitar sports
a new neck and new pick guard.

' The Hendrix/Zappa guitar is obviously very special becuase it was played by
two of the greatest guitarists who have ever lived,' says Dweezil Zappa. "Just
by looking at the guitar you can sense the history behiind the music. It's very
inspiring.'"

No opening bids here, but the seller is Cooper-Owen, a London-based auction
house.

I don't know how I feel about this...

TT

(BTW: Other guitars up for sale at this Auction include Gene Simmons's "Axe"
guitar, signed by GS; A Mike Rutherford bass, Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Hamiltone"
Strat, and more. Plus, they're also auctioning off a "limited edition colour
photograph of Captain Beefheart performing," by Photographer Tommy Hanley.)
www.cdbaby.com/tuerff
"This is the B-side of our platter, sports fans...and I'm singing just for you,
covered in sequins!" -- Viv Stanshall

shitorangehorsey

May 1, 2002, 5:41:16 PM5/1/02
nude...@aol.com (NudeAdGuy) wrote in message news:<20020501150009...@mb-cu.aol.com>...

Uh, that is SO wrong.

Zappa did not perform at Monterey. The Monterey guitar is already
owned by a Hendrix collector and on display in Seattle (The Hendrix
Hometown).

Dweezil's guitar was burned by Hendrix at the Miami Pop Festival and
wasn't given to Zappa by Hendrix, but by someone else (a roadie?).
Dweezil completely rebuilt it, so not much is left of the original
item, it would seem.

If you transcribed that "exactly" then some shit ain't right.

see here: http://www.univibes.com/Zappa_2.html

SOH

Ed Mann

May 1, 2002, 11:48:10 PM5/1/02
> Dweezil's guitar was burned by Hendrix at the Miami Pop Festival and
> wasn't given to Zappa by Hendrix, but by someone else (a roadie?).
> Dweezil completely rebuilt it, so not much is left of the original
> item, it would seem.

**this is entirely true - but there was only the body left of it from
since its first rebuild.

After my audition to join Franks band we were standing around and he
asked if i had any questions - I said - "yeh - can I hold that guitar
for a minute?

In 1978 We played Miami - and it was the first time I had ever seen FZ
bring that guitar out for a show - before that he had been playing the
imitation SG - anyway - that nite was amazing - especially for what
was coming out of the guitar - long, beautiful sustained feedback -
textures, etc - very unlike Frank at that time- or any time - it
wasn;t particularly aggressive - but it was strong and different.
Frank never brought it out again for the who tour. I think Jimi was
glad to see it.

*Ed

TTuerff

May 2, 2002, 1:44:18 AM5/2/02
<< If you transcribed that "exactly" then some shit ain't right. >>

I just transcribed what was in the catalogue. Didn't have time to critique...

TT

www.cdbaby.com/tuerff

Patrick Neve

May 2, 2002, 2:27:13 AM5/2/02

Man, we are truly blessed to be getting straight poop like this.. the poop
simply does not get any straighter.. thank you Ed!

Charles Ulrich

May 2, 2002, 3:12:47 AM5/2/02
In article <825371e6.02050...@posting.google.com>,
edm...@earthlink.net (Ed Mann) wrote:

> In 1978 We played Miami - and it was the first time I had ever seen FZ
> bring that guitar out for a show - before that he had been playing the
> imitation SG - anyway - that nite was amazing - especially for what
> was coming out of the guitar - long, beautiful sustained feedback -
> textures, etc - very unlike Frank at that time- or any time - it
> wasn;t particularly aggressive - but it was strong and different.
> Frank never brought it out again for the who tour.

Because he didn't want Pete Townshend to smash it after all that work
restoring it, perhaps?

Apparently FZ did play it again in 1981, however. The Guitar album
booklet indicates that three solos were played on the Hendrix Strat.

--Charles

shitorangehorsey

May 2, 2002, 12:23:38 PM5/2/02
ttu...@aol.com (TTuerff) wrote in message news:<20020502014418...@mb-cu.aol.com>...

I understand. Also, Monterey wasn't in 1968! Who are these people?!

SOH

Robert Burz

May 4, 2002, 10:29:04 AM5/4/02

Someone has a page that lists all the Zappa shows, (isn't it you Charles?),
but I can't find the address. Anyway, it was 76, 77, or 78, I'm not sure,
that FZ opened the Hartford Civic Center show with that strat. The song was
Black Napkins. (Ninja would have a recording I'm sure.) After that he put
it away. I have some B&W photos of him using it and yes, Ed was in the band
cuz he's in my photos as well as Mars in some kind of 'fro wig. So, for
those of you with that show on tape, that's what it sounds like.

Charles Ulrich

May 4, 2002, 11:22:37 AM5/4/02
In article <QeSA8.34955$_j4.9...@news1.east.cox.net>,
"Robert Burz" <bu...@acoxa.net> wrote:

> Someone has a page that lists all the Zappa shows, (isn't it you Charles?),

It is indeed me (and/or I), though it's probably not indeed all the
Zappa shows.

http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/

> Anyway, it was 76, 77, or 78, I'm not sure,
> that FZ opened the Hartford Civic Center show with that strat.

Sounds like October 17, 1977.

> The song was
> Black Napkins. (Ninja would have a recording I'm sure.) After that he put
> it away. I have some B&W photos of him using it and yes, Ed was in the band
> cuz he's in my photos as well as Mars in some kind of 'fro wig. So, for
> those of you with that show on tape, that's what it sounds like.

Jon lists Black Napkins as the last song of that show, Peaches as the
first.

Robert Burz

May 4, 2002, 4:09:16 PM5/4/02
"Charles Ulrich" <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message
> In article <QeSA8.34955$_j4.9...@news1.east.cox.net>,
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/giglist/

> Sounds like October 17, 1977.

> Jon lists Black Napkins as the last song of that show, Peaches as the
> first.

Yeah, he must be right. I remember Black Napkins was the encore for one of
these and he said it was a "song for lovers". It must have been the 81
tour then. I get all these tours mixed up over the ages.

Ed Mann

May 5, 2002, 10:04:14 AM5/5/02
"Robert Burz" <bu...@acoxa.net> wrote in message news:<QeSA8.34955$_j4.9...@news1.east.cox.net>...

**Robert! - thanks for this- and - please might I request some copies
of those photos? I have almosy no photos of my times on stage with
Frank - everyone else does but no me - so I humbly ask for copies
whereever I can - so my kids can see whay I am this way.

edm...@earthlink.net
edm...@paiste.com

thanks Robert

Ed

Ed Mann

May 5, 2002, 10:09:51 AM5/5/02
Charles Ulrich <ulr...@sfu.ca> wrote in message news:<ulrich-69F41C....@news.vf.shawcable.net>...

**yeh - sorry - this is my mistake - should not write early in the
morning w/out a spell checker - I meant - "Frank never brought it out
again for the whole tour."

but that nite was different - there were all these sweet tones just
coming out of the axe. It seemed to me like Frank had an idea for a
solo which I quickly abandoned and just went with what the guitar was
doing in terms of natural harmonic feedback. Tommy and Peter commented
on the same thing at that time - right after the show. It was cool -
but Frank also put the guitar down after that solo and went with his
SG just for consistancy I think.