Chester Thompson

Naji Chmayssani

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00

I heard he played in Weather Report. Can somebody tell me the name of the
album?
For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).
Thx

--

Naji Chmayssani
na...@village.uunet.be

Greg Carson

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:48:59 +0100, "Naji Chmayssani"
<na...@village.uunet.be> wrote:

>I heard he played in Weather Report. Can somebody tell me the name of the
>album?
>For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).
>Thx

Yes he played on the 1976 release "Black Market"

Greg shag...@apk.net

A society cannot be both ignorant and free. Thomas Jefferson

Lewis Saul

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
>For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).
>Thx

That's a tough one, man.

They put out one LP per year from 1970 to their final release in 1986...

I'm gonna no nuts here a little on your behalf and everyone else who is
curious, cuz I'z a WR freak and you should know that about me! So is Arthur
Barrow, btw.

Stay with me now, Naji...

**
btw, these are all LP's. I'm just assuming they're all available on CD -- if
not, someone is committing a horrible crime against nature, and hopefully
you could find an LP somewhere...

1) Weather Report (1970/71?) -- Their debut album was almost like a sequel
to Bitches Brew, of which both Shorter and Zawinul were big
contributors...but Jozy was going for something very different with this new
group, and you won't detect any obvious similarity (of course, the track
"Orange Lady" appears on this release, as well as the Bitches Brew box set
[not the stand-alone version]). This is a great record that I hardly ever
listen to anymore. Not the best place to start. But you'll get it eventually
if you get hooked and become a completist...the music is very spacey (can't
you tell by the track names: "Milky Way," "Umbrellas," "Seventh Arrow,"
"Morning Lake," "Waterfall," "Tears," "Eurydice." Get this later. Personnel:
[I will never write Zawinul or Shorter after this, because they're on ALL of
'em: Alphonze Mouzon (drums); Miroslav Vitous (bass); Airto Moreiro
(percussion)]

2) I Sing the Body Electric (1972) -- A wild ride in 1972! "Unknown Soldier"
the opening cut will raise the hairs on the back of your elbow -- truly
magnificent writing and playing. Side Two is from a 1/13/72 concert in
Tokyo. Similar to 1) above, but better produced. [Vitous, Eric Gravátt
(drums); Dom Um Romao (percussion); Andrew White (English Horn); Hubert
Laws, Jr. (flute); Wilmer Wise (D and Piccolo Trumpet); Yolande Bavan,
Joshie Armstrong, Chapman Roberts (singers); Roger Powell (consultant);
Ralph Towner (12-string guitar)]

3) Sweetnighter (1973) -- As the production values got better, the
compositions and playing seemed to follow along. This is a very jam-oriented
album, with Boogie Woogie Waltz clocking in at 13:01...There are some real
gems on this LP, but like I said -- get the later stuff first...[Vitous,
Gravatt (no accent mark this time), Romao, Herschel Dwellingham (drums);
Andrew N. White III (English Horn and Fender Bass)

4) Mysterious Traveller (1974) -- Okay, here we go! The memories that this
album brings back. Absolutely fantastic (though not my #1 recommendation).
You will want to own this eventually. The sound cooks, simmers, bubbles and
pops through in amazing ways. This is the beginning of a slightly different
kind of keyboard sound for Jozy (lots of rich, imaginative background runs
and beautiful comping). Wayne is beyond belief here -- just completely
magical. Get this! [Alphonso Johnson (bass), Romao, Ishmael Wilburn
(percussion); Vitous]

5) Tale Spinnin' (1975) -- I think of this as a close relative of 4) above.
The funkiness on this cannot even be described. But I'll try. "Man In The
Green Shirt" and "Between the Thighs" are mini-masterpieces. Jozy and
Wayne's writing is getting sharper, crisper -- a lot more written out
stuff -- but plenty of out-of-this-world improvisation. [no credits, just
photos of four black guys and Jozy on both sides! -- I think one is Johnson,
not sure about the other two].

6) Black Market (1976) -- [Acuna, percussion; Jaco Pastorius (bass), Chester
Thompson (drums)]. I'll never forget hearing "Cannon Ball" for the first
time. He had just died, and of course Jozy played with him and knew him well
and this sad tribute just broke my heart the first time I heard it (ya know,
Nat just died recently, too). Not the heart and soul of this record by any
means (a very slow tune), but the rest of the album is a simmering cauldron
of great music. Barbary Coast will just knock your socks off. Another great
funky release...

7) Heavy Weather (1977) -- There's always one track on every release know
that just completely blew me away the first time I heard it. On this one
it's on Side Two and it's called "Palladíum -- it segues from a latin drum
and percussion solo called "Rumba Mamá" and again -- this will knock you
over! Did I mention that Jaco is in the band now? The music is now
other-worldly, imho. This one has "Birdland" WR's only thing that you can
even say ever resembled a "hit" !!! It's been covered by everybody (badly by
Freddie Hubbard) -- but this is THE one! As usual, there's a great variety
of feels and tempi in this one (a very slow, sad one called "A Remark You
Made" is quite beautiful). This is a great one, but not your FIRST
purchase... [Acuna, Pastorius, Badrena (percussion)]

8) Mr. Gone (1978) -- This should be your second or third purchase (after my
#1 recommendation to come soon). Co-produced by Jaco. Once again -- no
credits, but my high-school pal, Peter Erskine, had joined the band on
drums. We used to call him "The Octopus" (obvious reason). On the first
track, he definitely lives up to that nickname: "The Pursuit of the Woman
with the Feathered Hat" -- Side Two is the great delight in this one -- Mr.
Gone followed by Punk Jazz. You *must* hear Punk Jazz, everybody in this
group! It's awesome. A very old Wayne Shorter tune follows (did you Wayne
wrote about 2000 compositions? Did you know his wife was on TWA 800? Sad but
true) -- "Pinocchio" -- a real jazz standard put into WR context... Last
track "And Then" has actual singing with words on it!!!!

9) Night Passage (1980) -- Hmm. A bit of a let down after 8) -- how could
they top that! But a very beautiful and touching album in many ways. If I
can be objective about Peter -- he rules here (listen to "Fast City") -- as
well as Jaco, who again co-produced. Jaco is astonishing in "Three Views of
a Secret" a composition he obviously was fond of -- he later recorded it
with his solo projects...

10) Weather Report (1982) -- Great title, eh? Nice bit of confusion for the
record company, I imagine! But of course, this bears no resemblance
whatsoever to the 1970/71 WR. A 3-part affair called "N.Y.C." is worth the
price of admission. Dara Factor One and Dara Factor Two (great titles).
Volcano for Hire also features Peter going nuts. [Robert Thomas, Jr. is in
the credits but I can't remember what he does.]

11) Procession (1983) -- This would be my recommend for #1 purchase. As the
title track begins you will begin to understand why we (WR freaks) are so
nuts. I also heard this live in my solitary WR concert in Pittsburgh in '83.
They started with this and I have never heard any band play something live
that duplicated what they did in the studio so precisely and gorgeously.
Side Two opens with "Where the Moon Goes" which is another incredible
rockin' tune -- with words. In fact, this is my absolute favorite WR tune,
as far as the very few tracks with lyrics to 'em. I love these lyrics and
this was the "theme song" of my marriage to Joannie in 1983! ("Here's the
moral of the story/Life is short/Live it up/CELEBRATE!/Anywhere the moon
goes...) <chills> -- GET THIS immediately! [Omar Hakim, drums; Victor
Bailey, bass, Jose Rossy, percussion]

12) Domino Theory (1984) -- often overlooked but as good as anything. Same
personnel as above except add Carl Anderson on vocals (ugh)...Mostly live
recording, this one shows off the band in that way -- their incredible
ability to stay tight and focused for hours and hours at a time -- ONE TAKE
ONLY!!! (not to say there is NO editing in here!) -- as I said, often
overlooked, but quite good. "Db Waltz" is one of my favorites. There is some
cookin' and smokin' goin' on here...

almost done... :)

13) Sportin' Life (1985) {add: Mino Cinelu on percussion to above, plus
"guests" -- Bobby McFerrin, Carl Anderson, Dee Dee Bellson and Alfie Silas
on incredible vocals} -- and these incredible vocals begin the album with
"Corner Pocket" -- You will think the bees inside your head are going to fly
away with you in this one...I think knowing that the end was near, Jozy and
Wayne took a lot of care with this one. I HIGHLY recommend this one, too...

14) This is This (1986) The photo on the back says it all and will make you
cry if you are me. Jozy and Wayne shaking hands, looking at each other with
awe and respect -- Goodbye guys. Go do your solo things (which, as good as
they are, will NEVER (imho) measure up to the best of the WR
releases...Peter is back on drums here; Hakim is on one track. Carlos
Santana on guitar and other vocalists. Santana really rocks on this one and
I don't recall that he got a Grammy for it :) -- it was the first time WR
had EVER employed an electric guitar (don't get picky on me and tell me that
an electric bass guitar counts!!) -- and Santana really rocks out. This is
This. There is nothing else to say...

Peter co-produced this, btw. Man With the Copper Fingers, Jungle Stuff,
Part I (still waiting for Part II :) -- all great great music. Jeez, I keep
saying that, huh? On the back of the slip are cute illustrations by June
Valentine of "all the musicians who gave their enthusiasm and talent over
the last fifteen years, we sincerely thank -- JZ & WS --

Track down this music and let me know what you think.

Greg Carson

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
On Sat, 4 Mar 2000 11:41:33 -0800, "Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com>
wrote:

Hey Lew you forget the live double album, 8:30, which is from the
same tour that I was lucky enough to see. Jaco does this killer bass
solo, that is out of this world. The 4th side of this album was
studio.

I think the number one purchase should be Heavy Weather, this is the
best place to start, if birdland don't make you a fan nothing will.
Although in the talk you forgot to mention my favorite song on heavy
weather, which is Teen Town.

Procession, I have had that since it first came out, and I did not
like it for the longest time, but I started listening to it again,
and it is great, but I would not start there.

Number Two, I would make Black Market, and number 3 Tale Spinner.

Jack P. Armstrong

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
>For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).

"Third" by Soft Machine.
- - - - - - -
Jody B. (aka Jack P. Armstrong)
"I am a real Minimalist, because I don't do very much. I know some minimalists
who call themselves minimalist but they do loads of minimalism. That is
cheating. I really don't do very much." - Robert Wyatt

tonyw...@hotmail.com

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
Lewis Saul <ls...@azstarnet.com> wrote:

> 13) Sportin' Life (1985) {add: Mino Cinelu on percussion to above, plus
> "guests" -- Bobby McFerrin, Carl Anderson, Dee Dee Bellson and Alfie Silas
> on incredible vocals} -- and these incredible vocals begin the album with
> "Corner Pocket" -- You will think the bees inside your head are going to fly
> away with you in this one...I think knowing that the end was near, Jozy and
> Wayne took a lot of care with this one. I HIGHLY recommend this one, too...

I bought this when I was 14 - first WR I heard, and I assumed it wasn't a
popular one because it didn't have Jaco and it didn't sound FANTASTIC like I
was expecting it to. Corner Pocket is great, but the cover of What's Going
On is amazing.

--
The meaning of affz:
"You get out what you put in - a bit like a box. Only, it's a newsgroup."

Lewis Saul

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
>Hey Lew you forget the live double album, 8:30, which is from the

Right. I have that on tape, not LP, and forgot about it! But you're right
it's great -- but not a place to start for a newbie...

>I think the number one purchase should be Heavy Weather, this is the
>best place to start, if birdland don't make you a fan nothing will.
>Although in the talk you forgot to mention my favorite song on heavy
>weather, which is Teen Town.

Agreed.

Procession, I have had that since it first came out, and I did not
>like it for the longest time, but I started listening to it again,
>and it is great, but I would not start there.

Hmm. Disagree. But that's what makes the world spin. This album completely
turned my head around (and probably having heard the whole thing spewed out
live, with such perfect acoustics and accuracy, affected my thinking). I
still think it's one of the best things they did...

>Number Two, I would make Black Market, and number 3 Tale Spinner.

Spinnin'

Yeah, if Naji gets anything, he'll be quickly addicted and will get it all
eventually, right?

I got such a kick out of Arthur Barrow's new CD -- where he quotes a Jozy
riff -- but uses it for his own unique purposes. It's completely
recognizable, yet dazzlingly new and fresh!

A plug for Arthur. If you don't have AB3 yet, give him a call and get one...

ls

Jeff

Mar 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/4/00
wrote:

>>For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).
>>Thx
>>

>2) I Sing the Body Electric (1972) -- A wild ride in 1972! "Unknown Soldier"
>the opening cut will raise the hairs on the back of your elbow -- truly
>magnificent writing and playing. Side Two is from a 1/13/72 concert in
>Tokyo. Similar to 1) above, but better produced. [Vitous, Eric Gravátt
>(drums); Dom Um Romao (percussion); Andrew White (English Horn); Hubert
>Laws, Jr. (flute); Wilmer Wise (D and Piccolo Trumpet); Yolande Bavan,
>Joshie Armstrong, Chapman Roberts (singers); Roger Powell (consultant);
>Ralph Towner (12-string guitar)]

I remember when the album came out there was a little sticker on the
plastic outer wrapping with a quote from Zappa - something to the
effect of: "I find this album excellent and or beautiful. Thank you
for the opportunity to hear it."

jeff

Chris Maxfield

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
In article <89s1ga$38e$3...@wisteria.csv.warwick.ac.uk>, tonyw...@hotmail.com
writes:

>> 13) Sportin' Life (1985) {add: Mino Cinelu on percussion to above, plus
>> "guests" -- Bobby McFerrin, Carl Anderson, Dee Dee Bellson and Alfie Silas
>> on incredible vocals} -- and these incredible vocals begin the album with
>> "Corner Pocket" -- You will think the bees inside your head are going to
>fly
>> away with you in this one...I think knowing that the end was near, Jozy and
>> Wayne took a lot of care with this one. I HIGHLY recommend this one, too...
>
>I bought this when I was 14 - first WR I heard, and I assumed it wasn't a
>popular one because it didn't have Jaco and it didn't sound FANTASTIC like I
>was expecting it to. Corner Pocket is great, but the cover of What's Going
>On is amazing.

I saw them play live in Sarasota Florida in 1986. A pretty hot show, I might
add.

Zapp...@aol.com a.k.a. Chris Maxfield
``Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why I
draw cartoons. It's my life.'' --Charles Schulz

Ralph Wayvone

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Fascinating. WR is also a passion of mine, although I have no releases
after Jaco's departure. (An attempt to become a Jaclone was part of my
musical development). I will get "Procession" on Lewis' recommendation.

Some observations on WR and the fusion music movement in general:

I hate to be boringly conventional, but I think that Heavy Weather is
hands down the greatest WR recording. Everything is there, especially
compositionally and orchestration-wise.It also represents a turning point
in fusion of the 70's as well.

Initially ('69-'73), fusion was quite loose and incorporated a lot of what
we now call "world music" elements. Another feature of this music is a
kind of simultaneous improvisation, where each player uses short phrases
to contibute to a group statement, rather like an updated Dixieland
approach. The music which emanated from the Bitches Brew roster shared
these characteristics, and some of the best music of the period is of this
type. The initial releases of Weather Report were an apotheosis of this
approach. "Sweetnighter" remains my favorite of this period and is highly
underrated, IMO. Hot Rats is the Zappa recording that best fits this
description.

(One recording of the time which deserves mention is a Wayne Shorter solo
called Super Nova, which plays up the world elements of the Bitches Brew
style. It's what BB would have sounded like if it had been recorded in
Brazil.)

Corea and McLaughlin pushed the groove and world elements of this early
fusion into a refined fusion style that I call Supernoodle. It relies on
virtuosity and volume, but compositionally it has less to offer (curse
you, Gayle Moran). Once they adopted hightech melodies and virtuosic
super-soloists, Supernoodlers drained fusion of its experimental,
searching quality. It was also the death knell of the collective improv
approach.

A further degradation of fusion occurred when less virtuosic performers
answered the challenge of BB simply by plopping jazz solos over funk or
disco beats. I call this variation Limpnoodle. The Noodle variations gave
fusion a bad name, and people who say they don't like fusion are usually
basing their opinions on one kind of Noodle or another.

WR's recordings of that period (Mysterious Traveller, Tale Spinnin')
avoided the trap of Supernoodle while simultaneously leaving the
updated-Dixieland, collective improv elements behind. The Grand Wazoo is
Zappa's contribution of this period. (Miles himself was the only fusioneer
who kept that going, but at great cost to his popularity. When he retired
in 1975 the BB-updated-Dixie style of improv died, but an Ornette Coleman
variation on this approach surfaced in the late 70's).

WR answered that crises by ratcheting up the quality of its songwriting
starting with Mysterious Traveller, and culminating with Heavy Weather.
It's the WR equivalent to Sgt. Pepper. After Heavy Weather you can hear
the band starting to come apart, each track representing the group
participating as sidemen for the compositional aspirations of each member.

Stretching the Beatles metaphor further, Mr. Gone is the WR White Album,
Night Passage is WR's Abbey Road (a self-conscious return to group
cohesion) This recording is better than Lewis says, IMO, and I like it a
lot more than Mr.Gone. 8:30 is WR's Let It Be. The 1982 [self-titled]
finds the Jaco-era WR almost succumbing to Supernoodle.

After that I lost track. I have or had all the WR releases up to '83.

In sum, Weather Report was the finest flower in the fusion hothouse.

Verbosely Yours,

--
To reply by email, remove "-nospam" from the address.

Kristian Kier

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
wrote:

>>For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).

>>Thx
>>

>That's a tough one, man.
>
>They put out one LP per year from 1970 to their final release in 1986...
>
>I'm gonna no nuts here a little on your behalf and everyone else who is
>curious, cuz I'z a WR freak and you should know that about me! So is Arthur
>Barrow, btw.
>
>Stay with me now, Naji...

Ohhh, I feel sooo sorry for you, Lewis!

Yes, sooo sorry......

I mean... - but.....

Sooo sorry you can´t watch PAL material.....

[whiping imaginary tears away]

...so no WR concertos for you,.....

[sigh]

...and no 4hrs docu with and about Jozy, even....

Again, soooo sorry for you....

And not even a master of the rerun of WR, Offenbach, Stadthalle
(Townhall), 09/29/78....
http://www.rockpalast.de/termine.html

[sigh]

[sigh again]

I maybe come over to your party and let you *smell* the tapes....
8-)

-Kristian

PS: You forgot 8:30

Lewis Saul

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
>I maybe come over to your party and let you *smell* the tapes....
>8-)

I'd rather smoke the tapes. But I don't do dat stuff anymore, man....

>-Kristian
>
>PS: You forgot 8:30

I know. I have it on tape, and forgot about while blazing through my pile of
LPs...

I'm sure there are plenty of good tapes of WR performances! But the best is
that their oeuvre is so re-playable -- I listen to 'em all and NEVER get
tired of 'em...

Sort of like this other artist near the end of the alphabet....

Lewis Saul
The Frank Zappa Musical Resource Institute (TFZMRI) (Yeah, we're back...)
http://www.onour.com/tfzmri
ls...@azstarnet.com

Bill

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Lewis Saul wrote:

<snip>

> I'm sure there are plenty of good tapes of WR performances! But the best is
> that their oeuvre is so re-playable -- I listen to 'em all and NEVER get
> tired of 'em...
>
> Sort of like this other artist near the end of the alphabet....

John Zorn?

Naji Chmayssani

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll keep you posted!
Btw I saw Yes in concert in Brussels a few days ago and posted my review
(short one) on the foolowing address:
http://www.wilmington.net/yes/
(go to YesNet, then reviews then go to Brussels Feb 29; the 2nd review)
cheerio

--
Naji Chmayssani
na...@village.uunet.be
Naji Chmayssani wrote in message <89qpch$8qu$1...@newnews1.news.nl.uu.net>...

>I heard he played in Weather Report. Can somebody tell me the name of the
>album?

>For WR fans, what is the best album I can buy? (beginner).
>Thx
>

>--
>
>Naji Chmayssani
>na...@village.uunet.be

Lewis Saul

Mar 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/5/00
Gerard wrote in message ...
>Did you happen to catch the ponty, w.r. show in Phx, Lewis?.

Nope. Only saw 'em once, in PGH in '83...

Real strange
>evening. It was a ponty crowd. After he opened there was a steady
>procession of departures during W.R. I was disappointed in that I was
>hoping to see Erskine and I believe they had this no name drummer by the
>name of Omar Hakim...

I hope you're just kidding. But maybe not. Omar is one of **the** finest
drummers on the planet. Peter would be the first to say so, too...

Check out Hakim's playing on the stuff he did with WR. I think he's just as
good as Peter for that kind of sound. He might have settled into studio
work -- not sure -- but whoever he's with is lucky to have him, imo...

Someone will tell us what Omar's up to...

Lewis Saul
The Frank Zappa Musical Resource Institute (TFZMRI)

http://www.onour.com/tfzmri
ls...@azstarnet.com

here's a message for all you cute people out there, btw: (all together now:
..."there's a lot more of us ugly motherfuckas...")

if you don't like my sig file, don't read it...
*definitely* **do not** click on that little http thingie up there if it
annoys you that I might possibly be promoting a Zappa website that I've
worked my butt off on and pay bunches of money for because it's so fucking
big (eventually) -- and most of all **definitely** _do not_ tell me that you
appreciate that there are people out there doing this for the Zappa fandom
population in order to share the fun and excitement about Frank's music and
fuck you and goodnight...

can anyone tell i quit smoking?

Gerard

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Did you happen to catch the ponty, w.r. show in Phx, Lewis?. Real strange

Lewis Saul <ls...@azstarnet.com> wrote in message

> >I maybe come over to your party and let you *smell* the tapes....
> >8-)
> >

> I'd rather smoke the tapes. But I don't do dat stuff anymore, man....
>

> >-Kristian
> >
> >PS: You forgot 8:30
>
> I know. I have it on tape, and forgot about while blazing through my pile
of
> LPs...
>
> I'm sure there are plenty of good tapes of WR performances! But the best
is
> that their oeuvre is so re-playable -- I listen to 'em all and NEVER get
> tired of 'em...
>
> Sort of like this other artist near the end of the alphabet....
>
> Lewis Saul

Kristian Kier

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 04:37:01 -0800, "Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com>
wrote:

>>I maybe come over to your party and let you *smell* the tapes....

>>8-)
>>

>I'd rather smoke the tapes. But I don't do dat stuff anymore, man....

Not even granulated and prepared (with love, fer sure...) in cigarette
paper, in the size of your choice?

>>PS: You forgot 8:30
>
>I know. I have it on tape, and forgot about while blazing through my pile of
>LPs...

8:30 was the first introducing to WR to me. When I started to develope
my interests in Rock music, somewhere at the age of 15, a colleague of
my father used to lend me some albums from his collection. This album
was one of them. I discovered Klaus Doldinger愀 Passport shortly
before. Can愒 remember if I liked the album at first listen, but taped
it anyway. It somehow grew on me later, as I runned through my "Live
LP" period later on. Every new artist who has to be discovered by me
had to have at least a live album out to get my attention. I still
*love* live recordings, they show at best the playing skills of each
musician without studio make-up.

My first Zappa was JG2/3, but didn愒 like it. Second one, shortly
thereafter, was R&E, and that was the real stuff for me at that time.
(At the same time I listened to Punk, Van Halen, Bluesrock, etc. as
well...)

>I'm sure there are plenty of good tapes of WR performances! But the best is
>that their oeuvre is so re-playable -- I listen to 'em all and NEVER get
>tired of 'em...

Well, I have so much to listen to, that I play very seldom one and the
same LP or CD for a second time, so every time I惴 in the mood for a
WR album it愀 always some kind of new experience to me. The time lap
between the listening is now very big, I simply do not have the time
to listen to amounts of music these days anymore.

>Sort of like this other artist near the end of the alphabet....

Oh yeah, I like them, too! Especially their material from the
seventies, before the music started to develope too much in the
commercial direction. It then had more "Boogie" in it, before the red
car period.

-Kristian

Gerard

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
Definitely kiddin about Omar. A style unto himself.

> Gerard wrote in message ...
> >Did you happen to catch the ponty, w.r. show in Phx, Lewis?.
>
> Nope. Only saw 'em once, in PGH in '83...
>
> Real strange
> >evening. It was a ponty crowd. After he opened there was a steady
> >procession of departures during W.R. I was disappointed in that I was
> >hoping to see Erskine and I believe they had this no name drummer by the
> >name of Omar Hakim...
>
> I hope you're just kidding. But maybe not. Omar is one of **the** finest
> drummers on the planet. Peter would be the first to say so, too...
>
> Check out Hakim's playing on the stuff he did with WR. I think he's just
as
> good as Peter for that kind of sound. He might have settled into studio
> work -- not sure -- but whoever he's with is lucky to have him, imo...
>
> Someone will tell us what Omar's up to...
>
> Lewis Saul
> The Frank Zappa Musical Resource Institute (TFZMRI)

Michael Gula

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
Bill wrote:

> Lewis Saul wrote:

> > Sort of like this other artist near the end of the alphabet....
> >

> John Zorn?

Zoogz?
--

To reply remove MORESPAM

Tom Yost

Mar 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/7/00
Gerard wrote:

> Did you happen to catch the ponty, w.r. show in Phx, Lewis?. Real strange

> evening. It was a ponty crowd. After he opened there was a steady
> procession of departures during W.R.

I have a ticket stub from this show, but funny... absolutely no
recollection of the concert. (sign of the times...?)

I do fondly recall a show at Gammage a few years earlier...

Tom

(Gilbert, AZ)

Martin Higgs

Mar 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/8/00
On Sun, 5 Mar 2000 23:05:09 -0800, "Lewis Saul" <ls...@azstarnet.com>
wrote:

>Gerard wrote in message ...

>>Did you happen to catch the ponty, w.r. show in Phx, Lewis?.
>

>Nope. Only saw 'em once, in PGH in '83...
>

>Real strange
>>evening. It was a ponty crowd. After he opened there was a steady

>>procession of departures during W.R. I was disappointed in that I was
>>hoping to see Erskine and I believe they had this no name drummer by the
>>name of Omar Hakim...
>
>I hope you're just kidding. But maybe not. Omar is one of **the** finest
>drummers on the planet. Peter would be the first to say so, too...
>
>Check out Hakim's playing on the stuff he did with WR. I think he's just as
>good as Peter for that kind of sound. He might have settled into studio
>work -- not sure -- but whoever he's with is lucky to have him, imo...
>
>Someone will tell us what Omar's up to...

Peter Erskine (and John Scofield) are playing with the City of
Birmingham Symphony Orchestra this Thursday. The piece is 'Grand
Duo', first performance, by Magnus Lindberg, ..Simon Rattle
conducting. To be broadcast on BBC Radio 3 at 7:30pm ..don't think
you'll pick this up in the USA tho' :)

Martin.............

>fuck you and goodnight...

Er, ok then!

>can anyone tell i quit smoking?

-- 'Anyone can open for the Mothers...except The Soft Machine' Frank Zappa, 1967

Jack P. Armstrong

Mar 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/9/00
>Peter Erskine (and John Scofield)

Speaking of John Scofield - everyone here needs to get his "A Go Go" album...
John Scofield with Medeski, Martin and Wood! *spoo* It's so funky it should be
illegal.