Dragon Code 2

Wyrm

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Greetings.

OK, I am formally announcing that I have taken over managing the New Dragon
Code. I am still sifting through loads of comments that Baxil has passed to
me, but over the next week or so it should appear at:

http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/

There's not a lot there at present, but I hope to get the Species tag up
sometime today and then will follow with the other tags one by one.

I'm hoping that there will be some sort of discussion on this thread as to
the various tags before they get 'set in stone'.

Lastly, anyone with a DC2. code may well need to make changes because a
number of the tags are being modified to make the whole code more
machine-readable. Why? Well has anyone been able to decypher others' codes
without looking at the DC page? Probably not. So there will [eventually] be
some programs available which will decypher the codes (both on and off
line).

Wyrm.

--
Wyrm: http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/

DC.D f++ s-- h++ CFire a+++++ $+ (m) d+++
WL++ Fr++++ L700f BF e+++ g-- i+! U+++

Dragon's, coming, out of the sea.
Shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
Peter Gabriel - Genesis.

Marayong

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Wyrm wrote:
> OK, I am formally announcing that I have taken over managing the New
> Dragon Code...

Thanks Wyrm!

You will let us know when the "final" version will be up in a week or
so?

And something to decode the DC code .. Hmm.. what platforms are you
planning on supporting? Dos/Windows obviously, but what of mac? Just
getting in with that one before some else thinks of it. :)

Marayong <thanks again!>
--
We praise you, Lord, for the strange and the silly,
For supernovas and odd-shaped animals, the whimsical shape of a cloud,

Raudrin

Jul 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/19/99
Wyrm wrote:

> Greetings.

Greetings. :-8)

> Lastly, anyone with a DC2. code may well need to make changes because a
> number of the tags are being modified to make the whole code more
> machine-readable. Why? Well has anyone been able to decypher others' codes
> without looking at the DC page? Probably not. So there will [eventually] be
> some programs available which will decypher the codes (both on and off
> line).

If you want, I could play around with a unix and/or CGI decoder when the
code is finalized.. Let me know if you need such assistance :-8)

--
Raudrin Talarlesa -=- mundanely Jared Lemke -=- peg...@avalon.net
ICQ:24761065 -=- http://www.avalon.net/~pegasus (not yet active)

DC2.D CP Gm a(d- h) L9f4t6w w- pFWL B- f+ r++ s+ Fr- (U) i! h+ $ m

Hespa

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
In article <FF42p...@flightdata.co.uk>,
laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:
> Greetings.

> OK, I am formally announcing that I have taken over managing the New
Dragon
> Code. I am still sifting through loads of comments that Baxil has
passed to
> me, but over the next week or so it should appear at:
>
> http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/
>
> There's not a lot there at present, but I hope to get the Species tag
up
> sometime today and then will follow with the other tags one by one.
>
> I'm hoping that there will be some sort of discussion on this thread
as to
> the various tags before they get 'set in stone'.
>
> Lastly, anyone with a DC2. code may well need to make changes because
> number of the tags are being modified to make the whole code more
> machine-readable. Why? Well has anyone been able to decypher others'
codes
> without looking at the DC page? Probably not. So there will
[eventually] be
> some programs available which will decypher the codes (both on and off
> line).

"Ooh, I'll have to go and look at your page. I hope the old Dragon Code
will be staying online until DC2 is finished, since I still have a link
to it from my page..."

> Wyrm.

Hespa.
Draco Megaptera Novaeangliae - Large-Winged Dragon
DC:D 0+ CS>G WL++* L- Bnone Hespa's Little Shop Of Wonders is now open
Hespa's Wyrmberg - http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~emann
To email, replace 'my-dejanews' with 'bigfoot'. ICQ=32722485

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Cerulean

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Quoth Wyrm:

>http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/

It looks like you've got a good start there.

>I'm hoping that there will be some sort of discussion on this thread as to
>the various tags before they get 'set in stone'.

Already I can give you a suggestion to add to the ~ (Shapeshifter)
identifier. Something like this:

Shapeshifters that have one primary form may put that species and ~
side by side, in order of importance.
DC2.D~ indicates "I am a Dragon with shapeshifting ability."
DC2.~D indicates "I am a shapeshifter with no one natural form, but I
choose to always/usually have the form of a dragon."

The distinction seems small, but it is significant, as it is an issue
of identity.

>Well has anyone been able to decypher others' codes
>without looking at the DC page? Probably not.

I think it's not that hard to learn, actually, but by all means
program something for those who do not. Other codes are usually too
much to memorize, but I can read the DC on sight, and the DC2 will
probably be even more intuitive.

--
___vvz /( Absurd Notions is on! -> http://cerulean.st/absurdnotions/
<__,` Z / ( | Cerulean= | DC.D/? f s+ h++ Gm CB^P a $ d+++ l* g- e! i

Karenji

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
Wyrm wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> OK, I am formally announcing that I have taken over managing the New Dragon
> Code.

Brave of you. :-8)

> I am still sifting through loads of comments that Baxil has passed to
> me, but over the next week or so it should appear at:
>
> http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/
>
> There's not a lot there at present, but I hope to get the Species tag up
> sometime today and then will follow with the other tags one by one.

I've just been there, so I must be one of the first beings to lay eyes
on it. It seems to be a little scrambled as yet tho'.

> I'm hoping that there will be some sort of discussion on this thread as to
> the various tags before they get 'set in stone'.
>

> Lastly, anyone with a DC2. code may well need to make changes because a
> number of the tags are being modified to make the whole code more

> machine-readable. Why? Well has anyone been able to decypher others' codes

> without looking at the DC page? Probably not. So there will [eventually] be
> some programs available which will decypher the codes (both on and off
> line).

A deciphering device is GREAT idea, Wyrm. I can't read the things yet.
The only bits of the code that make sense to me on first glance are the
species, size and colour (as long as it's a basic one).

When the whole thing's finished I'll revamp mine as necessary.
BTW, the rest of your site's good, but I accidentally made a recipe for
grilled Karenji! I know I'm plump, but I don't think I'd be very nice to
eat...

--
oo
oo

DarkSide

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99
>Dragon's, coming, out of the sea.
>Shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
> Peter Gabriel - Genesis.

Great choice of .sig quote, Wyrm. One o' my favorite songs.

~*~DarkSide~*~
"I'm not a human, but I play one in real life."
Dragon Code: DC2.Dfrost Gm a- L15f5t18w w- pWLF BC f++ r+++! s Fr U- i+ h++ $+
m ++ o- e++ CDW
http://members.aol.com/darksidevv/index.html
Help! http://www.angelfire.com/yt/helpkerri

z_anon

Jul 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/20/99

Wyrm <laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Greetings.
>
> OK, I am formally announcing that I have taken over managing the New
Dragon
> Code. I am still sifting through loads of comments that Baxil has passed

> me, but over the next week or so it should appear at:

yay, thankyou wyrm!

<nibble>

> Lastly, anyone with a DC2. code may well need to make changes because a
> number of the tags are being modified to make the whole code more
> machine-readable. Why? Well has anyone been able to decypher others' codes
> without looking at the DC page? Probably not. So there will [eventually]
be
> some programs available which will decypher the codes (both on and off
> line).

just one thought... people have been using DC2 codes for nearly a year it
seems (or more?)... to avoid confusion, how about you call the new code DC3
so as not to render existing and long ago posted DC2 codes illegal?

> Wyrm.
>
> --
> Wyrm: http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/
>
> DC.D f++ s-- h++ CFire a+++++ $+ (m) d+++
> WL++ Fr++++ L700f BF e+++ g-- i+! U+++
>

> Dragon's, coming, out of the sea.
> Shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
> Peter Gabriel - Genesis.

--Z, the not yet returned dwaggie!

nugator

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:

>Greetings.

>OK, I am formally announcing that I have taken over managing the New Dragon
>Code. I am still sifting through loads of comments that Baxil has passed to
>me, but over the next week or so it should appear at:

>http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/

>There's not a lot there at present, but I hope to get the Species tag up
>sometime today and then will follow with the other tags one by one.

>I'm hoping that there will be some sort of discussion on this thread as to

>the various tags before they get 'set in stone'.

<nods> Definitely sounds like a good thing. May i thewn being by
requesting that "faerie" be added to the specifics in the dragon list?
I'm not entirely faerie, personally, but i'm much more faerie than i
am any other kind of drak, and i'd like to be specific. }:=8)

>Lastly, anyone with a DC2. code may well need to make changes because a
>number of the tags are being modified to make the whole code more
>machine-readable. Why? Well has anyone been able to decypher others' codes
>without looking at the DC page? Probably not. So there will [eventually] be
>some programs available which will decypher the codes (both on and off
>line).

Good idea. On that note, are you going to need to specify a standard
order for tagging?

>Wyrm.

Dester'edra

--
Dester'edra Cloudancer of Amoraegrarum Somniare
DC.Df*s+h+a$--(d)WL++*Fr++(cacao)L25cmt45cmg-e+mCLB>aqua:V^DSwTiridescentBmusic

Wyrm

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Greetings.

dpo...@dcr.net put their foot in it by writing:

>And something to decode the DC code .. Hmm.. what platforms are you

There will be a Java-Applet which you can save locally and run on your own
local Web Page - that takes care of most OSes. There will also be a Windows
95/98/NT/2000 application, a DOS application, and a UNIX shell application.
I'll probably even do a MAC application too!
I'm also open to any other applications and will link to all of them (and
even host them on an FTP site if required).

Wyrm

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Greetings.

Hespa <he...@my-deja.com> put their foot in it by writing:

>"Ooh, I'll have to go and look at your page. I hope the old Dragon Code
>will be staying online until DC2 is finished, since I still have a link

The 'Old Dragon Code' will be on-line forever as far as I am concerned.

Wyrm

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Greetings.

Karenji <"karenji - no spam - "@labyrinth.net.au> put their foot in it by writing:

>I've just been there, so I must be one of the first beings to lay eyes
>on it. It seems to be a little scrambled as yet tho'.

You are probably using Netscape - which does not interpret Javascript Style
Script properly, however I have ammended the page so that Netscape users
should now have no problem.

Wyrm

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Greetings.

"z_anon" <mica...@msn.com> put their foot in it by writing:

>just one thought... people have been using DC2 codes for nearly a year it
>seems (or more?)... to avoid confusion, how about you call the new code DC3
>so as not to render existing and long ago posted DC2 codes illegal?

No. As it always said on Baxil's page, the Revised Dragon Code (DC2) was a
Work In Progress (Beta) and was to be used at the user's discretion. It
also warned that it may well change out from underneath users.

It should be relatively easy to spot those using the 'invalid' DC2 codes.

Wyrm

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Greetings.

kevin...@worldnet.att.net (Cerulean) put their foot in it by writing:

>Shapeshifters that have one primary form may put that species and ~
>side by side, in order of importance.

I can see what you are driving at, however I can also see potential for
confusion if one has, for example, a Werewolf that can shapechange into a
Western Dragon. That might be represented as:

DC2.~H/C~Dw

but is that a Shapechanger that can change from Human to Canine, with the
Canine being able to change occasionally into a Western Dragon?
(Assuming C is Canine - which it might well not be when I put up the
Species page.)
Instead, what I will state is that if you have only one stable form, then
only put one form. I.e.

DC2.~De

would mean that you are a shapechanger but your only stable form is an
Eastern Dragon.

Wyrm

Jul 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/21/99
Greetings.

drac...@mindspring.fishfish.com put their foot in it by writing:

>Good idea. On that note, are you going to need to specify a standard
>order for tagging?

No. Hopefully there should be no need for any specific order, neither
should there be any need for spaces between tags. It explains this on the
Web Page.

Karenji

Jul 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/22/99
Wyrm wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Karenji <"karenji - no spam - "@labyrinth.net.au> put their foot in it by writing:
> >I've just been there, so I must be one of the first beings to lay eyes
> >on it. It seems to be a little scrambled as yet tho'.
>
> You are probably using Netscape - which does not interpret Javascript Style
> Script properly, however I have ammended the page so that Netscape users
> should now have no problem.
>
> Wyrm.

Yes, I'm a Netscape user (I like it much better than IE) I took another
look, and it's looking good now. I can see I'm going to have to
seriously rewrite my DC once you've finished tho'.

> --
> Wyrm: http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/
>
> DC.D f++ s-- h++ CFire a+++++ $+ (m) d+++
> WL++ Fr++++ L700f BF e+++ g-- i+! U+++
>
> Dragon's, coming, out of the sea.
> Shimmering silver head of wisdom looking at me.
> Peter Gabriel - Genesis.

nugator

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:

>Greetings.

>drac...@mindspring.fishfish.com put their foot in it by writing:
>>Good idea. On that note, are you going to need to specify a standard
>>order for tagging?

>No. Hopefully there should be no need for any specific order, neither
>should there be any need for spaces between tags. It explains this on the
>Web Page.

Oooh, nifty. So, how about that faerie dragon sub-tag?... There are
more of us than the amphiteres, i think... *wheedlewheedle*

>Wyrm.

Dester'edra

--
Dester'edra Cloudancer of Amoraegrarum Somniare

DC2.DGfs+h+a$--(d)WL++*Fr++(cacao)L71.1cmt45cmg-e+mCLB>aqua:V^DSwTiridescentBmusic

Raudrin

Jul 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/24/99
A comment on the age tag modifiers... It would be helpful to have a dragon
age modifier as well... real life/virtual life only is somewhat incomplete..
Unless of course this is implied.. Just using myself as an example, I am a
mature adult as a human in real life, consider myself a young adult dragon,
and have been around on the net for quite a while... So it would be helpful
to say something like A(r d- v++), but I guess if it was noted that draconity
is implied when no modifiers are present, something like A(- r v++) would
say the same thing. *shrugs* Sorry if I rambled a bit too much there ;-8)

--
, , Raudrin Talarlesa -=- Jared Lemke -=- peg...@avalon.net
/|\_/|\_ ICQ:24761065 -=- http://www.avalon.net (not yet active)
|,-'/_|\\`_ "The first rule of life is to live." -=- D. McKiernan
,'_._,_\/ K_\`. "Every seashell has a story to tell if you're listening.
``. ' '\/',/-.) But underneath every shell there's a story as well if
jml ' ,-~ you've heard enough of the sea." -=- TMBG, Metal Detector

DC2.D CP Gm a(d- h) L9f4t6w w- pFWL B- f+ r++ s+ Fr (U) i! h+ $ m

Rai

Jul 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/25/99
Quoth drac...@mindspring.com (nugator):
[munch]

>So, how about that faerie dragon sub-tag?... There are
>more of us than the amphiteres, i think... *wheedlewheedle*

*grin*
\^\^//
,^ ( ..) ~~ Samurai ~~ O .---. . Back by
| \ \ DC.D f+s+h--CK^K a $-m-d+ o / O> \/| popular
\ `^--^ WL++Fr++L12m BW e++g--i--! o \_. /\| demand!
\ \ \ See reply-to header if mailing `---' ` :=8)
ksj ^--^ _________________________________________________________

Wyrm

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Greetings.

drac...@mindspring.fishfish.com put their foot in it by writing:

>Oooh, nifty. So, how about that faerie dragon sub-tag?... There are

The various species tags are going to be extended - however this will be on
a seperate page because of the number.

I might consider splitting up the DC2 page because of it's size ... not
sure though. Perhaps a page per tag or something?

Wyrm.

Wyrm

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Greetings.

Raudrin <peg...@avalon.net> put their foot in it by writing:

>A comment on the age tag modifiers... It would be helpful to have a dragon
>age modifier as well... real life/virtual life only is somewhat incomplete..

The default age modifier goes with your species, thus DC2.D A- implies you
are a young adult dragon. As you want to show your real-life human age as
well, you would use DC2.D A(v- r) showing that you are a young adult dragon
on the net, and in real life you are a mature adult (species not assumed).
There is not going to be dragon and human modifiers in the age tag (or any
tag) anymore because many using the code are not dragons! Instead I'm using
the Real/Virtual properties that are used in other tags.
If you feel the need, you can always write a R/L: DC2.H A line to show that
you are a mature adult human in Real Life.

Wyrm

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Greetings.

OK. The latest news on the Revised Dragon Code pages are that they now
include the following tags:

Species, Gender, Age, Length, Width, Weight, Appendages, Breath-Weapon, and
Diet.

Weight (or Tonnage) is a new tag!

I hope to get the rest of the tags, except for Body Type and Colour, up
this week sometime. Body Type and Colour are more involved and will require
a major re-work as had been mentioned by Baxil. They should hopefully be up
by the beginning of next week. Then I will concentrate on getting the
Species page ready. Finally, I will finish off all the other pages there
are links to, and put in the missing images (anyone care to do some 92x48
pixel icons for the tags?). Then there will be a period of 1 week in which
I will continue to accept major change suggestions before I freeze the tags
as they stand. After that I will only accept new tags and minor changes to
the existing ones (which will give me time to work on the encoding/decoding
programs - though I'm hoping there will be others as mine will be very
basic).
So ... now is the time to look at what is present and make your comments:

http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/

Thank you!

Marayong

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
Wyrm,

The current page is crashing my browser (on this machine anyway, but
it's an old one) .. is the text version up yet and could you post the
url for the text version? I noticed a link to it at the top of the
graphics version when I was able to d/l it last week.

Thanks,
Marayong <frustrated>

--
We praise you, Lord, for the strange and the silly,
For supernovas and odd-shaped animals, the whimsical shape of a cloud,
and the toothless grin of a baby. For prisms, caves and sneezes.
You have brightened our days with the gifts of wonder and mirth. Through
the works of your hands, we are invited to giggle and gawk: to stand
wide-eyed and speechless before the dance of creation. - Nancy Summers
DC.D f++ s++ h++ CS a++++ $+ m- d+++ WL++* Fr++++ L^ BF i++!

http://xenon.triode.net.au/~dragon mailto:dra...@triode.net.au

starr

Jul 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/26/99
The new Dragon Code looks scary
That's why I'm not using it :p~

-- Moon Starr O:)
tiny, sparklie blue little rock dragon with nothing better to do then get
trapped inside Coke bottles and eat m&m's

Hespa

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
In article <FF7t8...@flightdata.co.uk>,
laur...@wyrm.demon.co.uk (Wyrm) wrote:
> Greetings.
>

> Hespa <he...@my-deja.com> put their foot in it by writing:
> >"Ooh, I'll have to go and look at your page. I hope the old Dragon
Code
> >will be staying online until DC2 is finished, since I still have a
link

> The 'Old Dragon Code' will be on-line forever as far as I am
concerned.

"Well, that's a relief! I hope it's staying where it is now, to prevent
broken links?"

Karenji

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Wyrm wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> OK. The latest news on the Revised Dragon Code pages are that they now
> include the following tags:
>
> Species, Gender, Age, Length, Width, Weight, Appendages, Breath-Weapon, and
> Diet.
>
> Weight (or Tonnage) is a new tag!
>
> I hope to get the rest of the tags, except for Body Type and Colour, up
> this week sometime. Body Type and Colour are more involved and will require
> a major re-work as had been mentioned by Baxil. They should hopefully be up
> by the beginning of next week. Then I will concentrate on getting the
> Species page ready. Finally, I will finish off all the other pages there
> are links to, and put in the missing images (anyone care to do some 92x48
> pixel icons for the tags?). Then there will be a period of 1 week in which
> I will continue to accept major change suggestions before I freeze the tags
> as they stand. After that I will only accept new tags and minor changes to
> the existing ones (which will give me time to work on the encoding/decoding
> programs - though I'm hoping there will be others as mine will be very
> basic).
> So ... now is the time to look at what is present and make your comments:
>
> http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/dc/
>
> Thank you!

I've just been in and revised my code to suit. It's looking good Wyrm.
You left one thing out of the food preferences code tho.' How about one
for 'confectionary' (or SUGAR, or JUNK FOOD)? Us chocolatarian draggys
are out in the cold. [grin]

Karenji, the chocolatarian dragon.

--
oo
oo

| Karenji's Dragon Code (beta version Rev.26/7/99) |
| DC2.D Gf a(rv-) L2.5m1t1w CSwTirridescent W+ T++ |
| Pfwlt B"soapbubbles" F++"chocolate" r-- s+ |
| Fr-- U-- i--! h--- $- m e? DPT 60% |

| Karenji - writer, dreamer, doer (well, sometimes!)|
| Please note:my E-mail address for replies is |
| karenji'at'labyrinth'dot'net'dot'au NOT |

| whatever's shown at the top of the screen |

Wyrm

Jul 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/27/99
Greetings.

karenj, 'at', labyrinth.net.au put their foot in it by writing:

>You left one thing out of the food preferences code tho.' How about one
>for 'confectionary' (or SUGAR, or JUNK FOOD)? Us chocolatarian draggys

That will be Fj for Junk Food! :8)

Karenji

Jul 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/28/99
Wyrm wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> karenj, 'at', labyrinth.net.au put their foot in it by writing:
> >You left one thing out of the food preferences code tho.' How about one
> >for 'confectionary' (or SUGAR, or JUNK FOOD)? Us chocolatarian draggys
>
> That will be Fj for Junk Food! :8)

Thanks Wyrm! It'll make my code a little shorter.

> Wyrm.
>
> --
> Wyrm: http://www.wyrm.demon.co.uk/

Polenth

Jul 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/29/99
Karenji <"karenji - spamless - "@labyrinth.net.au> murmured mushroomyly:

>I've just been in and revised my code to suit. It's looking good Wyrm.
>You left one thing out of the food preferences code tho.' How about one
>for 'confectionary' (or SUGAR, or JUNK FOOD)? Us chocolatarian draggys
>are out in the cold. [grin]

If you live only on chocolate, you're either a herbivore or an omnivore
(depending how you were planning on making the stuff), just a very
specilist sort. :)

--
Polenth

ICQ UIN: 8342844 | Clan Stormcrest
http://www.polenth.demon.co.uk/
DC.D Pf CDP a- d+++ WL+* L14f Balkali f e! m++