Fit the Second - The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (afda production)

Marvin The Paranoid Android

Apr 24, 2003, 2:07:10 PM4/24/03
So, are we doing this?

If we are, we can use this thread... Or not, the regulars will know, I'm
only a menial newbie. Reverse primary thrust Marvin, that's what they say
to me, open airlock number three Marvin, Marvin can you pick up that piece
of paper? Here I am, brain the size the planet...

John, who is auditioning for a part, any part, in this
show/script/production/thingy.

--
John Coxon
E-mail: johnc...@virgin.net

Anorak

Apr 24, 2003, 2:51:27 PM4/24/03
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:07:10 +0100, "Marvin The Paranoid Android"
<johnc...@virgin.net> sayeth thus:

>So, are we doing this?
>
>If we are, we can use this thread... Or not, the regulars will know, I'm
>only a menial newbie. Reverse primary thrust Marvin, that's what they say
>to me, open airlock number three Marvin, Marvin can you pick up that piece
>of paper? Here I am, brain the size the planet...
>
>John, who is auditioning for a part, any part, in this
>show/script/production/thingy.

Hmmm. Parts. Parts.

The new parts for fit the second are

Vogon Guard (This is a different character than Jeltz, but the same
person can play him if they want to)

Trillian (I think Nikitta called this)

Marvin (I think you should play this part, Marvin, you seem to already
be in character)

Zaphod (Whom I would like to play)

Gag Halfrunt (one line)

Eddie the shipboard computer

And since Gusty is currently unavailable, we probably need someone to
take care of the narration. Didn't we have 2 narrators at the
beginning, one for the book and one for the general narrating?
--
"I've been living in the real world. It's scary." -Meg(afdaniain)

Marvin The Paranoid Android

Apr 24, 2003, 3:55:39 PM4/24/03

"Anorak" <ano...@froup.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:07:10 +0100, "Marvin The Paranoid Android"
> <johnc...@virgin.net> sayeth thus:
>
> >So, are we doing this?
> >
> >If we are, we can use this thread... Or not, the regulars will know, I'm
> >only a menial newbie. Reverse primary thrust Marvin, that's what they
say
> >to me, open airlock number three Marvin, Marvin can you pick up that
piece
> >of paper? Here I am, brain the size the planet...
> >
> >John, who is auditioning for a part, any part, in this
> >show/script/production/thingy.
>
> Hmmm. Parts. Parts.

<snip>

> Marvin (I think you should play this part, Marvin, you seem to already
> be in character)

You want *me* to play Marvin?
WAHOO! Sure, I'll play Marvin.

John, thanking his lucky stars.

MEow

Apr 24, 2003, 4:42:24 PM4/24/03
ano...@froup.com (Anorak) took a deep breath and said:

> Trillian (I think Nikitta called this)

I believe it was just given to me, but I'd be very glad to have the
part.
--
Nikitta: a.a. #1759. Apatriot #18
ICQ# 147028026

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

Apr 24, 2003, 4:46:29 PM4/24/03
"Marvin The Paranoid Android" <johnc...@virgin.net> writes:

<snip>

> You want *me* to play Marvin?
> WAHOO! Sure, I'll play Marvin.
>
> John, thanking his lucky stars.

Well, we could rip out your voice circuits for a start :-)

Best
Kåre

--
Kaare Fiedler Christiansen fie...@daimi.au.dk

2b|~2b == -1

Anorak

Apr 24, 2003, 4:46:46 PM4/24/03
On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:42:24 +0200, MEow <nikitt...@yahoo.se>
sayeth thus:

>ano...@froup.com (Anorak) took a deep breath and said:
>
>> Trillian (I think Nikitta called this)
>>
>I believe it was just given to me, but I'd be very glad to have the
>part.

I can't think of a better person to play Trillian.
--
"How do I convince you that I'm not a Masochist In Denial?" -Nikitta(afdaniain)

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

Apr 24, 2003, 4:47:59 PM4/24/03
ano...@froup.com (Anorak) writes:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:42:24 +0200, MEow <nikitt...@yahoo.se>
> sayeth thus:
>
>>ano...@froup.com (Anorak) took a deep breath and said:
>>
>>> Trillian (I think Nikitta called this)
>>>
>>I believe it was just given to me, but I'd be very glad to have the
>>part.
>
> I can't think of a better person to play Trillian.

Well, Susan Sheridan comes to mind, but otherwise I agree totally :-)

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 24, 2003, 10:04:46 PM4/24/03
Anorak wrote:

> Eddie the shipboard computer

Can I be Eddie? He sounds like me after a short night and about five
cups of coffee!

--
Alex

Anorak

Apr 24, 2003, 10:10:45 PM4/24/03
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 02:04:46 GMT, Alex Fitzpatrick
<alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> sayeth thus:

And has about 3 lines.

--
"Understand the froup you will not, until you use it." -Nikitta(afdaniain)

Dont Be Fuelish

Apr 25, 2003, 1:09:47 PM4/25/03
Anorak wrote:

>Vogon Guard (This is a different character than Jeltz, but
>the same person can play him if they want to)

How about if I just be the guard. Alex can be the Vogon
captain. I'll be glad to leave the poetry to him.

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
Yesterday I helped a guy that had just upgraded his

Gusty

Apr 25, 2003, 4:49:29 PM4/25/03

FIT THE SECOND

After being saved from certain death during the demolition
of the Earth, Arthur Dent now faces a hopeless choice
between meeting certain death in the vacuum of space or
fiding something pleasant to say about Vogon poetry.

Starring:-

Narrator/Book: Gusty
Arthur Dent Iain
Ford Prefect Kaare
A Vogon Guard Tian
Trillian MEow
Zaphod Anorak
Marvin John Coxon
Vogon Captain Alex Fitz
Eddie the Computer Alex Fitz again
Gag Halfrunt M.J. Simpson (come on, Mike, you know you want
to and it's only one line!)

Misc sound effects by the Froupophonic workshop (whoever happens to be
passing at the time)

GRAMS SIG: 'Da-Da Da da da-da da da...'

GRAMS NARRATOR BACKGROUND

NARRATOR: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end
of the Western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow
sun.
Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety million miles is an
utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended
life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital
watches are a pretty neat idea.
This planet has, or had, a problem - which was this: most of the
people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many
solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were
largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper,
which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of
paper that were unhappy.
And so the problem remained; and lots of the people were mean, and
most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches. Many
were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in
coming down from the trees in the first place.
And some said that even the trees had been a mad move, and that no one
should ever have left the oceans.
And then one day, nearly two thousand years after one man had been
nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people
for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small cafe in
Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong
all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good
and happy place.
This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get
nailed to anything.
Sadly however, before she could get to a phone to tell anyone, the
Earth was unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace
bypass and so the idea was lost forever.

Meanwhile, Arthur Dent has escaped from the Earth in the company of a
friend of his who has unexpectedly turned out to be from a small
planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse. His name is Ford
Prefect, for reasons which are unlikely to become clear again at the
moment, and they are both in dead trouble with the captain of a Vogon
spaceship.

--
D.

'In my youth,' Father William replied to his son, 'I feared it might injure the brain;
But, now that I'm perfectly sure I have none, Why, I do it again and again!'

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 27, 2003, 10:49:25 PM4/27/03

VOGON: *great drama * So, Earthlings, I present you with a simple
choice. Think carefully for you hold your very lives in your hands. Now
choose! Either die in the vacuum of space, or . . .

--
Alex

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 27, 2003, 10:50:42 PM4/27/03

GRAMS DRAMATIC CHORD (SHRUBBERY)

--
Alex

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 27, 2003, 10:52:05 PM4/27/03

Man on Rack: Bloody hell, I didn't expect the Spanish...

(oops wrong script...)

--
Alex

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 27, 2003, 10:52:51 PM4/27/03

VOGON: *hopefully* Tell me how good you thought my poem was!

--
Alex

Ford Prefect

Apr 28, 2003, 2:02:01 AM4/28/03
Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> writes:

FORD: *definately not ready to die in open space*
I liked it!

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 28, 2003, 10:46:49 AM4/28/03

VOGON: *Relaxing* Oh good.

--
Alex

iain

Apr 28, 2003, 2:23:11 PM4/28/03
Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in

ARTHUR: *also not wanting to die* Oh yes, I thought that some of the
metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.

--
iain

ia...@froup.com http://www.zootle.net/afda/
"how can you say that iain is a furyy fpevcg?!" - kristen

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 28, 2003, 10:54:44 PM4/28/03
iain wrote:
> Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in
>

>>Ford Prefect wrote:

>>>FORD: *definately not ready to die in open space*
>>> I liked it!
>>>

>>VOGON: *Relaxing* Oh good.
>

> ARTHUR: *also not wanting to die* Oh yes, I thought that some of the
> metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.

VOGON: *Prompting, but with just an air of dubious* Yes?

iain

Apr 29, 2003, 8:14:35 AM4/29/03

> iain wrote:
>> Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in

>>>VOGON: *Relaxing* Oh good.
>>

>> ARTHUR: *also not wanting to die* Oh yes, I thought that some of the
>> metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.
>>

> VOGON: *Prompting, but with just an air of dubious* Yes?

ARTHUR: *thought that was enough* Oh . . . *thinks* and, er, interesting
rhythmic devices too which seemed to counterpoint the . . .
*struggling, can't think of anything for them to counterpoint*
er . . .

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

Apr 29, 2003, 9:33:54 AM4/29/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

> Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in
>
>> iain wrote:
>>> Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in

>>> ARTHUR: *also not wanting to die* Oh yes, I thought that some of the
>>> metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.
>>>

>> VOGON: *Prompting, but with just an air of dubious* Yes?
>
> ARTHUR: *thought that was enough* Oh . . . *thinks* and, er, interesting
> rhythmic devices too which seemed to counterpoint the . . .
> *struggling, can't think of anything for them to counterpoint*
> er . . .

FORD: *finally catching up after being completely stunned that Arthur
can really say stuff like that. He has obviously never tried
English classes in the English education system*
... counterpoint the surrealism of the uderlying metaphor of
the.... er ....
*okay, so maybe he hadn't tried the English education system,
but he had been posing as an out of work actor, so he had picked
up _something_*

Best
Kåre

Ford Prefect

Apr 29, 2003, 9:34:34 AM4/29/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

> Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in
>
>> iain wrote:
>>> Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> wrote in

>>> ARTHUR: *also not wanting to die* Oh yes, I thought that some of the
>>> metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective.
>>>

>> VOGON: *Prompting, but with just an air of dubious* Yes?
>
> ARTHUR: *thought that was enough* Oh . . . *thinks* and, er, interesting
> rhythmic devices too which seemed to counterpoint the . . .
> *struggling, can't think of anything for them to counterpoint*
> er . . .

FORD: *finally catching up after being completely stunned that Arthur

can really say stuff like that. He has obviously never tried
English classes in the English education system*
... counterpoint the surrealism of the uderlying metaphor of
the.... er ....
*okay, so maybe he hadn't tried the English education system,
but he had been posing as an out of work actor, so he had picked
up _something_*

iain

Apr 29, 2003, 10:17:24 AM4/29/03
Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> wrote in

(uderlying? Is that something to do with cows?)

ARTHUR: Humanity of the . . . *nearly had a good idea* er . . .

Ford Prefect

Apr 29, 2003, 10:26:49 AM4/29/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

FORD: *urgent* Vogonity!

iain

Apr 29, 2003, 11:06:43 AM4/29/03

>> ARTHUR: Humanity of the . . . *nearly had a good idea* er . . .
>
> FORD: *urgent* Vogonity!

ARTHUR: *getting desperate* Vogonity, sorry, of the poet's compassionate
soul which contrives through the medium of the verse structure to
sublimate this, trancend that, and come to terms with the
fundamental dichotomies of the other, and one is left with a
profound insight into . . . into . . .
*what /was/ the poem about anyway?*

MEow

Apr 29, 2003, 11:49:12 AM4/29/03
Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> took a deep breath and said:

<snip>
Argh! This has split into 2 different threads on my server!

--
Nikitta: a.a. #1759. Apatriot #18
ICQ# 147028026

"I are not a lady - I are a free woman!" Lisa (Sheddie)

Ford Prefect

Apr 29, 2003, 1:39:19 PM4/29/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

FORD: *what _was_ the poem about anyway?*
...into... whatever it was the poem was about!
*whispering to Arthur*
Arthur, that was _very_ good!

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

Apr 29, 2003, 1:41:01 PM4/29/03
MEow <nikitt...@yahoo.se> writes:

> Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> took a deep breath and said:
>
> <snip>
> Argh! This has split into 2 different threads on my server!

Bloody non-compliant server :-)

Well, what happened was I forgot to cahnge my name to Ford, and I
cancelled my first posting and posted again under the name of Ford.

Unfortunately your server apparantly ignores the controlmessage to
cancel the original posting, and thus you see two.

You will see that one posting is under the name of Ford and one is
under the name of Kåre.

I believe I did it about 5-10 time sduring fit the 1st too.

Best
Kåre

MEow

Apr 29, 2003, 2:02:54 PM4/29/03
Kaare Fiedler Christiansen <fie...@daimi.au.dk> took a deep breath
and said:

> > <snip>
> > Argh! This has split into 2 different threads on my server!
>
> Bloody non-compliant server :-)

It did it again!

> Well, what happened was I forgot to cahnge my name to Ford, and I
> cancelled my first posting and posted again under the name of Ford.
>
> Unfortunately your server apparantly ignores the controlmessage to
> cancel the original posting, and thus you see two.
>
> You will see that one posting is under the name of Ford and one is
> under the name of Kåre.
>
> I believe I did it about 5-10 time sduring fit the 1st too.

No, I only see the ones you made as Ford. In fit the First there was
no problems, but now it seems that I get all of your contributions to
the reproduction in one thread and all of iain's in another. A bit
confusing.
It looks like there's more and more space being added between afda and
production in the subject title.

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

Apr 29, 2003, 2:04:41 PM4/29/03
MEow <nikitt...@yahoo.se> writes:

<snip>

> No, I only see the ones you made as Ford. In fit the First there was
> no problems, but now it seems that I get all of your contributions to
> the reproduction in one thread and all of iain's in another. A bit
> confusing.
> It looks like there's more and more space being added between afda and
> production in the subject title.

Oops! I see the problem now. It seems that my stupid newsreader
inserts a line break in the subject line. Stop that, gnus.

Hmm... I'll look into it, I can see that there is a problem.

Dont Be Fuelish

Apr 29, 2003, 2:25:34 PM4/29/03
Kaare Fiedler Christiansen wrote:

>Well, what happened was I forgot to cahnge my name to Ford, and I
>cancelled my first posting and posted again under the name of Ford.

What happened to me was I did some posting as Vogon, and then
went to some other newsgroups without changing back. I got lots
of greif for posting as a Vogon from the Heinlein fans.

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
Yesterday I took a trip up to Contra Costa County.

Thomas Wagner

Apr 29, 2003, 2:26:55 PM4/29/03
Von: "Thomas Wagner" <ferrari-ist...@gmx.de>
Betreff: Re: Fit the Second - The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (afda
production)
Datum: Dienstag, 29. April 2003 20:24

I just found this thread in the newsgroup and I wondered what this would be
about...
I think I realized that you "re-play" the original radio series, but I
didn't understand how you do that.

Can everyone post everything, or must everybody play a certain role???
If you think that the others shouldn't be bored with your answer because
everyone else knows it, feel free to eMail me to avoid "spamming" the
newsgroup with the answer.

Thomas

P.S: Please don't wonder about any weird grammatical constructions or words,
as I'm not sure about that myself...
I have learned english for almost 6 years now, but it's far from perfect.
"Marvin The Paranoid Android" <johnc...@virgin.net> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:vHVpa.445$T33...@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net...
> So, are we doing this?
>
> If we are, we can use this thread... Or not, the regulars will know, I'm
> only a menial newbie. Reverse primary thrust Marvin, that's what they say
> to me, open airlock number three Marvin, Marvin can you pick up that piece
> of paper? Here I am, brain the size the planet...
>
> John, who is auditioning for a part, any part, in this
> show/script/production/thingy.
>

> --
> John Coxon
> E-mail: johnc...@virgin.net
> MSN: rogue_n...@hotmail.com
> Web: http://roguenine.freeservers.net/
> I am convinced that Microsoft are the predecessors of the Sirius
Cybernetics
> Corporation.
> If I don't reference a footnote, you might find it here:
> http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN .

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2003, 2:19:08 PM4/29/03

VOGON: *dubious* So you're saying that I write poetry because underneath
my mean, callous, heartless exterior, I really just want to be
loved. Is that right?

--
Alex

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

Apr 29, 2003, 2:39:22 PM4/29/03
"Thomas Wagner" <onkelg...@herr-der-mails.de> writes:

> I just found this thread in the newsgroup and I wondered what this would be
> about...
> I think I realized that you "re-play" the original radio series, but I
> didn't understand how you do that.

You are right. We are replaying the radio show in honour of its 25th
anniversary.

> Can everyone post everything, or must everybody play a certain role???
> If you think that the others shouldn't be bored with your answer because
> everyone else knows it, feel free to eMail me to avoid "spamming" the
> newsgroup with the answer.

I'll just answer in the newsfroup all the same :-)

I'm afraid we have the roles all sorted out, I'm afraid. At least for
this fit.

The roles are as follows:

Starring:-

Narrator/Book: Gusty
Arthur Dent Iain
Ford Prefect Kaare
A Vogon Guard Tian
Trillian MEow
Zaphod Anorak
Marvin John Coxon
Vogon Captain Alex Fitz
Eddie the Computer Alex Fitz again

Gag Halfrunt M.J. Simpson (assuming he read it and agrees)

> Thomas
>
> P.S: Please don't wonder about any weird grammatical constructions or words,
> as I'm not sure about that myself...
> I have learned english for almost 6 years now, but it's far from perfect.

You're doing just fine. I'm not a native English speaker myself, and
that goes for a lot of us in here. So don't worry, we'll probably figure
out what you're saying all the same.

Ford Prefect

Apr 29, 2003, 2:41:03 PM4/29/03
Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> writes:

FORD: *is that a trick question?*
*laughs nervously*
Well... I mean... Yes! Yes! Don't we all? Deep down, you
know... er...

Gusty

Apr 29, 2003, 2:41:42 PM4/29/03
Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
Thomas Wagner spewed up:

>Von: "Thomas Wagner" <ferrari-ist...@gmx.de>
>Betreff: Re: Fit the Second - The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (afda
>production)
>Datum: Dienstag, 29. April 2003 20:24
>
>I just found this thread in the newsgroup and I wondered what this would be
>about...
>I think I realized that you "re-play" the original radio series, but I
>didn't understand how you do that.
>
>Can everyone post everything, or must everybody play a certain role???
>If you think that the others shouldn't be bored with your answer because
>everyone else knows it, feel free to eMail me to avoid "spamming" the
>newsgroup with the answer.

The original post that started it:-

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1856072104d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=c53l2vo2ht97vgi8r8rci8j45e31ng01bb%404ax.com

and this little snippet from a mail I just got from MJS which sums it
up nicely:-

"..good luck with the project. It's deeply silly and completely
pointless and you should be very proud of it!"

BTW - Please don't top post!

--
D.

emmel

Apr 29, 2003, 3:28:37 PM4/29/03
[Tuesday 29 April 2003 20:39] Kaare Fiedler Christiansen: Security
violation in module <xkp4r4h...@horse02.daimi.au.dk> - dumping
contents...

::delurks::
And if you shout loud enough you could perhaps even attract someone who'll
understand German. You never know who's listening. (Till is, isn't he?)
::goes back to lurking::
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

Outer Albia http://home.t-online.de/~gr.filz/c3
or http://go.to/outeralbia

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 29, 2003, 4:26:41 PM4/29/03

VOGON: *yes, that was a trick question* No, you're completely wrong. I
just write poetry to throw my mean, callous, heartless exterior
into sharp relief. I'm going to throw you off the ship anyway.
Guard! Take the prisoners to number three airlock and throw
them out.

--
Alex

Gusty

Apr 29, 2003, 4:46:21 PM4/29/03
Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
Alex Fitzpatrick spewed up:

>>>VOGON: *dubious* So you're saying that I write poetry because underneath
>>> my mean, callous, heartless exterior, I really just want to be
>>> loved. Is that right?
>>

>> FORD: *is that a trick question?*
>> *laughs nervously*
>> Well... I mean... Yes! Yes! Don't we all? Deep down, you
>> know... er...
>>

>VOGON: *yes, that was a trick question* No, you're completely wrong. I
> just write poetry to throw my mean, callous, heartless exterior
> into sharp relief. I'm going to throw you off the ship anyway.
> Guard! Take the prisoners to number three airlock and throw
> them out.

F/X THEY ARE GRABBED AND PUT UP A STRUGGLE. THE
STRUGGLE CONTINUES DURING ALL THE ENSUING
DIALOGUE
--
D.

iain

Apr 29, 2003, 6:59:49 PM4/29/03
Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote in

> Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
> Alex Fitzpatrick spewed up:

>>> FORD: *is that a trick question?*
>>> *laughs nervously*
>>> Well... I mean... Yes! Yes! Don't we all? Deep down, you
>>> know... er...
>>
>>VOGON: *yes, that was a trick question* No, you're completely wrong. I
>> just write poetry to throw my mean, callous, heartless
>> exterior into sharp relief. I'm going to throw you off the
>> ship anyway. Guard! Take the prisoners to number three airlock
>> and throw them out.
>
> F/X THEY ARE GRABBED AND PUT UP A STRUGGLE. THE
> STRUGGLE CONTINUES DURING ALL THE ENSUING
> DIALOGUE

ARTHUR: *struggles*

Vogon Guard

Apr 29, 2003, 8:42:19 PM4/29/03
Iain wrote:

>Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of
>> unreason and Alex Fitzpatrick spewed up:

>>>VOGON: *yes, that was a trick question* No, you're completely wrong. I
>>> just write poetry to throw my mean, callous, heartless
>>> exterior into sharp relief. I'm going to throw you off the
>>> ship anyway. Guard! Take the prisoners to number three airlock
>>> and throw them out.
>>
>> F/X THEY ARE GRABBED AND PUT UP A STRUGGLE. THE
>> STRUGGLE CONTINUES DURING ALL THE ENSUING
>> DIALOGUE
>
>ARTHUR: *struggles*

VOGON GUARD: Resistance is useless!

iain

Apr 29, 2003, 9:19:45 PM4/29/03
dontbe...@aol.comRhdIslnd (Vogon Guard) wrote in

> Iain wrote:
>
>>Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>> F/X THEY ARE GRABBED AND PUT UP A STRUGGLE. THE
>>> STRUGGLE CONTINUES DURING ALL THE ENSUING
>>> DIALOGUE
>>
>>ARTHUR: *struggles*
>
> VOGON GUARD: Resistance is useless!

Er, hang on, we've not had Ford complaining that authors don't deserve to
die in deep space yet.

Ford Prefect

Apr 30, 2003, 2:02:11 AM4/30/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

> Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote in
>
>> Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
>> Alex Fitzpatrick spewed up:

>>>VOGON: *yes, that was a trick question* No, you're completely wrong. I
>>> just write poetry to throw my mean, callous, heartless
>>> exterior into sharp relief. I'm going to throw you off the
>>> ship anyway. Guard! Take the prisoners to number three airlock
>>> and throw them out.
>>
>> F/X THEY ARE GRABBED AND PUT UP A STRUGGLE. THE
>> STRUGGLE CONTINUES DURING ALL THE ENSUING
>> DIALOGUE
>
> ARTHUR: *struggles*

FORD: *also struggles*
*desperate* You can't throw us of into deep space! We're trying
to write a book!

Vogon Guard

Apr 30, 2003, 3:26:40 AM4/30/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:
>
>> Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote in
>>

>>> Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms
>>> of unreason and Alex Fitzpatrick spewed up:

>>> F/X THEY ARE GRABBED AND PUT UP A
>>> STRUGGLE. THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES
>>> DURING ALL THE ENSUING DIALOGUE
>>
>> ARTHUR: *struggles*
>
>FORD: *also struggles*
> *desperate* You can't throw us of into deep space!
> We're trying to write a book!

VOGON GUARD: Resistance is useless!

Tian

iain

Apr 30, 2003, 7:24:13 AM4/30/03

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:
>>
>>> Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote in

>>> ARTHUR: *struggles*
>>
>>FORD: *also struggles*

>> *desperate* You can't throw us off into deep space!

>> We're trying to write a book!
>
> VOGON GUARD: Resistance is useless!

ARTHUR: *struggling, angry* I don't want to die now, I've still got a
headache! I don't want to go to heaven with a headache, I'd be
all cross and wouldn't enjoy it.

Gusty

Apr 30, 2003, 7:44:56 AM4/30/03
Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
iain spewed up:

>>>FORD: *also struggles*
>>> *desperate* You can't throw us off into deep space!
>>> We're trying to write a book!
>>
>> VOGON GUARD: Resistance is useless!
>
>ARTHUR: *struggling, angry* I don't want to die now, I've still got a
> headache! I don't want to go to heaven with a headache, I'd be
> all cross and wouldn't enjoy it.

(*They are being urged further and further away*)

--
D.

Ford Prefect

Apr 30, 2003, 10:19:25 AM4/30/03
Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> writes:

FORD: *not sure why he is shouting, but it can't hurt* You can't do
this!

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 30, 2003, 10:22:48 AM4/30/03
Ford Prefect wrote:
> Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>

>>Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
>>iain spewed up:

>>>ARTHUR: *struggling, angry* I don't want to die now, I've still got a
>>> headache! I don't want to go to heaven with a headache, I'd be
>>> all cross and wouldn't enjoy it.
>>
>>(*They are being urged further and further away*)
>

> FORD: *not sure why he is shouting, but it can't hurt* You can't do
> this!

VOGON: *puzzled, after all, who argues with a vogon captain?*
Why not, you puny creature?

--
Alex

Ford Prefect

Apr 30, 2003, 11:01:51 AM4/30/03
Alex Fitzpatrick <alex_...@nospam.orange-carb.org> writes:

FORD: *people who have nothing to loose that's who*
Oh.
*fraticly searching for a good reason*
Why not? Why not?
*stalling for time*
Does there have to be a reason for everything?
*inspiration*
Why don't you just let us go on a mad impulse? Go on! Live a little!
Surprise yourself!

Alex Fitzpatrick

Apr 30, 2003, 1:06:46 PM4/30/03

F/X HE IS CUT OFF BY THE DOOR HUMMING CLOSED

VOGON: *To himself* `. . counterpoint the surrealism of the underlying
metaphor. . .'
*impressed*
Huh, death's too good for them.

--
Alex

Gusty

Apr 30, 2003, 3:14:27 PM4/30/03
Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
Alex Fitzpatrick spewed up:

FX *Thinks - how do you do a cross-fade in a newsfroup?*
VOGON CAPTAIN MUTTERING >>>>>>>>>>>>----<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< FORD AND
ARTHUR STRUGGLING AS THEY ARE DRAGGED DOWN A CORRIDOR.
--
D.

Till Westermayer

Apr 30, 2003, 5:55:00 PM4/30/03
[29 Apr 03: emmel (the_...@gmx.net) wrote something]

>::delurks::
>And if you shout loud enough you could perhaps even attract
>someone who'll understand German. You never know who's listening.
>(Till is, isn't he?) ::goes back to lurking::

I don't know? Do you think he is?

till (the next time)

--
"Entropy ain't what it used to be."
aquarion in afda

... Till We *) http://www.westermayer.de/till/index.htm

iain

Apr 30, 2003, 8:04:42 PM4/30/03
Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> wrote in

ARTHUR: *still struggling* Ow, let go of me you brute!

Ford Prefect

May 1, 2003, 1:25:33 AM5/1/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

FORD: *aside to Arthur (mostly to make him shut up)*
Don't you worry. I'll think of something.

Vogon Guard

May 1, 2003, 3:00:36 AM5/1/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!! [147]

[147] (Shouting: see the Coarse Actor's Guide to Space Ship Guards)

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
This evening I went and saw Reese Erlich talk about Iraq

iain

May 1, 2003, 12:42:26 PM5/1/03
dontbe...@aol.com69415176 (Vogon Guard) wrote in

> Ford Prefect wrote:

>>> ARTHUR: *still struggling* Ow, let go of me you brute!
>>
>>FORD: *aside to Arthur (mostly to make him shut up)*
>> Don't you worry. I'll think of something.
>
> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!! [147]

ARTHUR: *struggling, ranting* I woke up this morning and thought I'd have
a nice relaxed day, do a bit of reading, brush the dog . . . it's
now just after four in the afternoon and I'm already being thrown
out of an alien spaceship five light years from the smoking
remains of the Earth!

(Didn't he have to go to work if it was a weekday?)

Gusty

May 1, 2003, 12:45:08 PM5/1/03
Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
iain spewed up:

>dontbe...@aol.com69415176 (Vogon Guard) wrote in
>
>> Ford Prefect wrote:

>>>FORD: *aside to Arthur (mostly to make him shut up)*
>>> Don't you worry. I'll think of something.
>>
>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!! [147]
>
>ARTHUR: *struggling, ranting* I woke up this morning and thought I'd have
> a nice relaxed day, do a bit of reading, brush the dog . . . it's
> now just after four in the afternoon and I'm already being thrown
> out of an alien spaceship five light years from the smoking
> remains of the Earth!
>
>(Didn't he have to go to work if it was a weekday?)

He worked for the BBC in local radio
'nuff said?

--
D.

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

May 1, 2003, 1:52:11 PM5/1/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

> dontbe...@aol.com69415176 (Vogon Guard) wrote in
>
>> Ford Prefect wrote:

>>>FORD: *aside to Arthur (mostly to make him shut up)*
>>> Don't you worry. I'll think of something.
>>
>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!! [147]
>
> ARTHUR: *struggling, ranting* I woke up this morning and thought I'd have
> a nice relaxed day, do a bit of reading, brush the dog . . . it's
> now just after four in the afternoon and I'm already being thrown
> out of an alien spaceship five light years from the smoking
> remains of the Earth!

FORD: *annoyed*
All right, just stop panicking!

> (Didn't he have to go to work if it was a weekday?)

(Maybe it was some sort of holiday?)

iain

May 1, 2003, 2:32:03 PM5/1/03
Kaare Fiedler Christiansen <fie...@daimi.au.dk> wrote in

> iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:
>
>> dontbe...@aol.com69415176 (Vogon Guard) wrote in

>>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!! [147]
>>
>> ARTHUR: *struggling, ranting* I woke up this morning and thought I'd
>> have a nice relaxed day, do a bit of reading, brush the dog
>> . . . it's now just after four in the afternoon and I'm
>> already being thrown out of an alien spaceship five light
>> years from the smoking remains of the Earth!
>
> FORD: *annoyed*
> All right, just stop panicking!

ARTHUR: *shouting* Who said anything about panicking? This is still just
culture shock. You wait till I've settled down in the situation
and found my bearings a bit. _Then_ I'll start panicking.

Ford Prefect

May 1, 2003, 3:18:19 PM5/1/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

FORD: *really annoyed*
Arthur, you're getting hysterical! Shut up!

Dont Be Fuelish

May 2, 2003, 1:37:03 AM5/2/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!! [98]

[98] Still shouting as loud as it is possible to while
sounding athoritative.

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
Today I went down to the County building and saw a big

Ford Prefect

May 2, 2003, 3:00:10 PM5/2/03

FORD: *Why does everybody keep shouting when I need to think?* You can
shut up as well!

(Actually, you can't. You need to say 'Resistance is useless' some
more, and also some other lines :-) )

Dont Be Fuelish

May 2, 2003, 3:52:02 PM5/2/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>Actually, you can't. You need to say 'Resistance is useless'
>some more, and also some other lines :-) )

I know. The problem is I have to leave in a few hours to
go to the California Green Party statewide meeting, which
will put me off the air for the weekend. So this may be
the last you hear of me until Monday. Sorry about that...

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
Today I went down to Santa Clara with a thousand of

Kaare Fiedler Christiansen

May 3, 2003, 5:05:16 AM5/3/03
dontbe...@aol.com54749194 (Dont Be Fuelish) writes:

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>Actually, you can't. You need to say 'Resistance is useless'
>>some more, and also some other lines :-) )
>
> I know. The problem is I have to leave in a few hours to
> go to the California Green Party statewide meeting, which
> will put me off the air for the weekend. So this may be
> the last you hear of me until Monday. Sorry about that...

Okay, we'll wait. But you could have said your line when you posted
that :-)

Best
Kåre

emmel

May 5, 2003, 2:18:40 AM5/5/03
[Wednesday 30 April 2003 23:55] Till Westermayer: Security violation in
module <8kspR...@westermayer-74391.user.cis.dfn.de> - dumping contents...

> [29 Apr 03: emmel (the_...@gmx.net) wrote something]
>
>>::delurks::
>>And if you shout loud enough you could perhaps even attract
>>someone who'll understand German. You never know who's listening.
>>(Till is, isn't he?) ::goes back to lurking::
>
> I don't know? Do you think he is?
>
> till (the next time)

Yes, I think so. The header is quite a hint.
--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.

Vogon Guard

May 5, 2003, 3:06:26 AM5/5/03
Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!!!!!!

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
I went to Sacramento for the GPCA plenary in the
Secretary of State's building at the corner of 11th and
O Streets this weekend. The most interesting meeting
that happened there was the International Protocols one.

Ford Prefect

May 5, 2003, 4:07:19 AM5/5/03
dontbe...@aol.com01552481 (Vogon Guard) writes:

> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!!!!!!

FORD: *all this shouting gives him a headache*
Oh, give it a rest!
*a sudden inspiration*
Do you really enjoy this sort of thing?

Till Westermayer

May 5, 2003, 1:10:00 PM5/5/03
[05 May 03: emmel (the_...@gmx.net) wrote something]

>>>::delurks::
>>>And if you shout loud enough you could perhaps even attract
>>>someone who'll understand German. You never know who's
>>>listening. (Till is, isn't he?) ::goes back to lurking::

>> I don't know? Do you think he is?

>Yes, I think so. The header is quite a hint.

It is? Because of my .de-domain or because of my nntp server at FU
Berlin? You're right, obviuously, but in the internet nobody knows
if you are a dog, as the famous saying goes. So, I could be some
person from Betelgeuze staying there using a German web service
provider and a German nntp service provider ...

till (the next time)

--
> How do you know that an afdaniain has been in teh refrigerator?
Someone's engraved "This is not butter[1]" into the butter.
[That's afda series]

Vogon Guard

May 5, 2003, 2:00:51 PM5/5/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>(Vogon Guard) writes:
>
>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!!!!!!
>
>FORD: *all this shouting gives him a headache*
> Oh, give it a rest!
> *a sudden inspiration*
> Do you really enjoy this sort of thing?

Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS (blinks) What do you mean?

Ford Prefect

May 5, 2003, 2:20:04 PM5/5/03
dontbe...@aol.com01552481 (Vogon Guard) writes:

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>(Vogon Guard) writes:
>>
>>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS USELESS!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>FORD: *all this shouting gives him a headache*
>> Oh, give it a rest!
>> *a sudden inspiration*
>> Do you really enjoy this sort of thing?
>
> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS (blinks) What do you mean?

FORD: *persuasive*
I mean does it give you a full satisfying life, stomping
around, shouting, pushing people out of spaceships?

Vogon Guard

May 5, 2003, 4:16:24 PM5/5/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>(Vogon Guard) writes:
>
>> Ford Prefect wrote:

>>>FORD: *all this shouting gives him a headache*
>>> Oh, give it a rest!
>>> *a sudden inspiration*
>>> Do you really enjoy this sort of thing?
>>
>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS (blinks) What do you mean?
>
>FORD: *persuasive*
> I mean does it give you a full satisfying life, stomping
> around, shouting, pushing people out of spaceships?

Vogon Guard: Well, the hours are good.

Ford Prefect

May 6, 2003, 2:41:39 AM5/6/03
dontbe...@aol.com01552481 (Vogon Guard) writes:

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>(Vogon Guard) writes:

>>> Vogon Guard: RESISTANCE IS (blinks) What do you mean?
>>
>>FORD: *persuasive*
>> I mean does it give you a full satisfying life, stomping
>> around, shouting, pushing people out of spaceships?
>
> Vogon Guard: Well, the hours are good.

FORD: They'd have to be!

Vogon Guard

May 6, 2003, 3:26:32 AM5/6/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>(Vogon Guard) writes:
>
>> Ford Prefect wrote:

>>>FORD: *persuasive*
>>> I mean does it give you a full satisfying life, stomping
>>> around, shouting, pushing people out of spaceships?
>>
>> Vogon Guard: Well, the hours are good.
>
>FORD: They'd have to be!

Vogon Guard: But now you come to mention it, I suppose
most of the minutes are pretty lousy. Except some
of the shouting I quite like. RESISTANCE IS . . .

Ford Prefect

May 6, 2003, 3:51:37 AM5/6/03
dontbe...@aol.comGoldfish (Vogon Guard) writes:

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>(Vogon Guard) writes:

>>> Vogon Guard: Well, the hours are good.
>>
>>FORD: They'd have to be!
>
> Vogon Guard: But now you come to mention it, I suppose
> most of the minutes are pretty lousy. Except some
> of the shouting I quite like. RESISTANCE IS . . .

FORD: *interrupting* Yes, sure, you're good at that, I can tell!
*pretending to be interested* But if it's mostly lousy, why do
you keep doing it?
What is it? The girls? The leather? The machismo?

Vogon Guard

May 6, 2003, 3:55:58 AM5/6/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

Vogon Guard: Well . . . er, I don't know, I think I just sort
of . . . do it really.

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
Our lunch speaker on Saturday at the GPCA meeting was

Ford Prefect

May 6, 2003, 4:02:09 AM5/6/03
dontbe...@aol.com2ndAL25c (Vogon Guard) writes:

FORD: *To Arthur - but still meant for the guard*
There, Arthur, you think you've got problems!

iain

May 6, 2003, 7:33:35 AM5/6/03
Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> wrote in

ARTHUR: *sounding like someone who's being half-throttled*
Yeah, this guy's still half throttling me . . .

Ford Prefect

May 6, 2003, 8:07:29 AM5/6/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

FORD: *Still to Arthur but intended for the guard*
Yeah, but try to understand his problem!
*Tragically*
Here he is, poor lad, his entire life's work is stomping around,
throwing people off spaceships...

emmel

May 6, 2003, 11:19:51 AM5/6/03
[Monday 05 May 2003 19:10] Till Westermayer: Security violation in module
<8lJvh...@westermayer-74391.user.cis.dfn.de> - dumping contents...

> [05 May 03: emmel (the_...@gmx.net) wrote something]

>>> I don't know? Do you think he is?
>
>>Yes, I think so. The header is quite a hint.
>
> It is? Because of my .de-domain or because of my nntp server at FU
> Berlin? You're right, obviuously, but in the internet nobody knows
> if you are a dog, as the famous saying goes. So, I could be some
> person from Betelgeuze staying there using a German web service
> provider and a German nntp service provider ...
>
> till (the next time)

Who was talking about you? I *know* you are German. Anyway, quite a lot of
folks use CIS-DFN anyway, so the German NNTP server is not really a useful
marker.

MEow

May 6, 2003, 1:15:05 PM5/6/03
ti...@tillwe.de (Till Westermayer) took a deep breath and said:

> It is? Because of my .de-domain or because of my nntp server at FU
> Berlin? You're right, obviuously, but in the internet nobody knows
> if you are a dog, as the famous saying goes. So, I could be some
> person from Betelgeuze staying there using a German web service
> provider and a German nntp service provider ...

I'm occasionally mistaken for a German IRL, due to my accent. I just
wanted to point that out.

Speaking of the German language: http://tinyurl.com/9ygn was posted
to the shed a while back. Seems IKEA got in trouble in Germany for a
child-bed called "Gutvik". Anything you've heard of, Till? To my,
admittedly very small, knowledge of the German language, then that
name *would* give them problems. Correct?
--
Nikitta: a.a. #1759. Apatriot #18
ICQ# 147028026

Vogon Guard

May 6, 2003, 1:28:38 PM5/6/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

Vogon Guard: And shouting . . .

Ford Prefect

May 6, 2003, 2:14:42 PM5/6/03
dontbe...@aol.com2ndAL25c (Vogon Guard) writes:

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:
>>
>>> Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> wrote in

>>> ARTHUR: *sounding like someone who's being half-throttled*
>>> Yeah, this guy's still half throttling me . . .
>>
>>FORD: *Still to Arthur but intended for the guard*
>> Yeah, but try to understand his problem!
>> *Tragically*
>> Here he is, poor lad, his entire life's work is stomping around,
>> throwing people off spaceships...
>
> Vogon Guard: And shouting . . .

FORD: ... - and shouting, sure - and he doesn't even know why he's
doing it!

iain

May 6, 2003, 2:46:52 PM5/6/03
Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> wrote in

ARTHUR: *too throttled to really care*
Sad.
*suppressed grunt of pain*

Till Westermayer

May 6, 2003, 6:59:00 PM5/6/03
[06 May 03: MEow (nikitt...@yahoo.se) wrote something]

>ti...@tillwe.de (Till Westermayer) took a deep breath and said:

>> It is? Because of my .de-domain or because of my nntp server at
>> FU Berlin? You're right, obviuously, but in the internet nobody
>> knows if you are a dog, as the famous saying goes. So, I could
>> be some person from Betelgeuze staying there using a German web
>> service provider and a German nntp service provider ...
>>
>I'm occasionally mistaken for a German IRL, due to my accent. I
>just wanted to point that out.

>Speaking of the German language: http://tinyurl.com/9ygn was
>posted to the shed a while back. Seems IKEA got in trouble in
>Germany for a child-bed called "Gutvik". Anything you've heard of,
>Till? To my, admittedly very small, knowledge of the German
>language, then that name *would* give them problems. Correct?

Not really. If you pronounce it "Gutwik" (I think most people would do
that), there is no way to misunderstand it. The other way to pronounce
it would be "Gutfik" (but a "v" in the middle of a word wouldn't be
pronounced that way), and than it means the same as a bed called
"Gootfook" in English would mean.

till (the next time)

--
"It is of course well known that careless talk costs lives,
but the full scale of the problem is not always appreciated."

Till Westermayer

May 6, 2003, 7:00:00 PM5/6/03
[06 May 03: emmel (the_...@gmx.net) wrote something]

>[Monday 05 May 2003 19:10] Till Westermayer: Security violation in
>module <8lJvh...@westermayer-74391.user.cis.dfn.de> - dumping
>contents...

>> [05 May 03: emmel (the_...@gmx.net) wrote something]

>>>Yes, I think so. The header is quite a hint.
>>
>> It is? Because of my .de-domain or because of my nntp server at
>> FU Berlin? You're right, obviuously, but in the internet nobody
>> knows if you are a dog, as the famous saying goes. So, I could
>> be some person from Betelgeuze staying there using a German web
>> service provider and a German nntp service provider ...
>>
>> till (the next time)
>>
>Who was talking about you?

Me ;-)

((Yes, you're right.))

Vogon Guard

May 6, 2003, 8:04:21 PM5/6/03
iain <af...@imb.clara.net> writes:

Vogon Guard: Well now you put it like that I suppose . . .

Ford Prefect

May 7, 2003, 1:34:30 AM5/7/03
dontbe...@aol.com2ndAL25c (Vogon Guard) writes:

FORD: *encouraging* Good lad...

Vogon Guard

May 7, 2003, 1:41:01 AM5/7/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>dontbe...@aol.com2ndAL25c (Vogon Guard) writes:

Vogon Guard: But all right, so what's the alternative?

Ford Prefect

May 7, 2003, 2:02:39 AM5/7/03

>>> Vogon Guard: Well now you put it like that I suppose . . .
>>
>>FORD: *encouraging* Good lad...
>>
> Vogon Guard: But all right, so what's the alternative?

FORD: *isn't it obvious*
Well, stop doing it, of course!

Vogon Guard

May 7, 2003, 2:25:15 AM5/7/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>>>FORD: *encouraging* Good lad...
>>>
>> Vogon Guard: But all right, so what's the alternative?
>
>FORD: *isn't it obvious*
> Well, stop doing it, of course!

Vogon Guard: Mmmmmmmmmm . . . well, doesn't
sound that great to me.

Tian
--
http://tian.greens.org/
Saturday evening after dinner at the GPCA meeting

Ford Prefect

May 7, 2003, 2:49:55 AM5/7/03
dontbe...@aol.com2ndAL25c (Vogon Guard) writes:

>>> Vogon Guard: But all right, so what's the alternative?
>>
>>FORD: *isn't it obvious*
>> Well, stop doing it, of course!
>
> Vogon Guard: Mmmmmmmmmm . . . well, doesn't
> sound that great to me.

FORD: *afraid his plan might not be working out as well as he thought
it would*
Now, wait a minute! That's just the start! There's more to it
than that, you see...

MEow

May 7, 2003, 6:02:37 AM5/7/03
ti...@tillwe.de (Till Westermayer) took a deep breath and said:

> >Speaking of the German language: http://tinyurl.com/9ygn was
> >posted to the shed a while back. Seems IKEA got in trouble in
> >Germany for a child-bed called "Gutvik". Anything you've heard of,
> >Till? To my, admittedly very small, knowledge of the German
> >language, then that name *would* give them problems. Correct?
>
> Not really. If you pronounce it "Gutwik" (I think most people would do
> that), there is no way to misunderstand it. The other way to pronounce
> it would be "Gutfik" (but a "v" in the middle of a word wouldn't be
> pronounced that way), and than it means the same as a bed called
> "Gootfook" in English would mean.

Seems they changed it anyway.

Does this mean that it's true that Vicks (throat tablets) have to sell
their product under a different name in Germany?

--
Nikitta: a.a. #1759. Apatriot #18
ICQ# 147028026

"It's better to have loved a short person than never to have loved a tall."
Frækstone (a.a.)

Till Westermayer

May 7, 2003, 6:37:00 AM5/7/03
[07 May 03: MEow (nikitt...@yahoo.se) wrote something]

>> Not really. If you pronounce it "Gutwik" (I think most people
>> would do that), there is no way to misunderstand it. The other
>> way to pronounce it would be "Gutfik" (but a "v" in the middle
>> of a word wouldn't be pronounced that way), and than it means
>> the same as a bed called "Gootfook" in English would mean.
>>
>Seems they changed it anyway.

>Does this mean that it's true that Vicks (throat tablets) have to
>sell their product under a different name in Germany?

No. They are selled under the name "Vicks Blau" or some. It's pronounced
like wicks, so there is (if you leave prepubertarian schoolkids aside)
no chance of linking it to sexual intercourse, which would be pronounced
with an 'f'.

till (the next time)

--

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.

... Till We *) http://www.westermayer.de/till/index.htm

Gusty

May 7, 2003, 7:04:38 AM5/7/03
Five wild Event Maelstroms swirled in vicious storms of unreason and
Till Westermayer spewed up:

>[07 May 03: MEow (nikitt...@yahoo.se) wrote something]
>
>>> Not really. If you pronounce it "Gutwik" (I think most people
>>> would do that), there is no way to misunderstand it. The other
>>> way to pronounce it would be "Gutfik" (but a "v" in the middle
>>> of a word wouldn't be pronounced that way), and than it means
>>> the same as a bed called "Gootfook" in English would mean.
>>>
>>Seems they changed it anyway.
>
>>Does this mean that it's true that Vicks (throat tablets) have to
>>sell their product under a different name in Germany?
>
>No. They are selled under the name "Vicks Blau" or some. It's pronounced
>like wicks, so there is (if you leave prepubertarian schoolkids aside)
>no chance of linking it to sexual intercourse, which would be pronounced
>with an 'f'.

The Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow was originally called "Silver Mist" but
the name was changed because of unfortunate meaning in Germany.

--
D.

MEow

May 7, 2003, 12:33:35 PM5/7/03
ti...@tillwe.de (Till Westermayer) took a deep breath and said:

> >Does this mean that it's true that Vicks (throat tablets) have to
> >sell their product under a different name in Germany?
>
> No. They are selled under the name "Vicks Blau" or some. It's pronounced
> like wicks, so there is (if you leave prepubertarian schoolkids aside)
> no chance of linking it to sexual intercourse, which would be pronounced
> with an 'f'.

Oh. I'll write it off as an urban legend, then. I'll remember to
bypass the normal rule of pronouncing V as F in German, on that one
word, if I ever need to order a pack of Vicks Blue in Germany ;0)

Did you look at the link, so you can tell if you think it's true or
not?

MEow

May 7, 2003, 12:34:00 PM5/7/03
Gusty <generalmishmash...@btopenworld.com> took a deep
breath and said:

> The Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow was originally called "Silver Mist" but
> the name was changed because of unfortunate meaning in Germany.

Poor Till! ;0)

Vogon Guard

May 7, 2003, 12:47:16 PM5/7/03
Ford Prefect wrote:

>(Vogon Guard) writes:

>>>FORD: *isn't it obvious*
>>> Well, stop doing it, of course!
>>
>> Vogon Guard: Mmmmmmmmmm . . . well, doesn't
>> sound that great to me.
>
>FORD: *afraid his plan might not be working out as well
> as he thought it would*
> Now, wait a minute! That's just the start! There's more
> to it than that, you see...

Vogon Guard: No, I think if it's all the same to you I'd
better just get your both shoved into this airlock
and then go and get on with some other bits of
shouting I've got to do.

emmel

May 7, 2003, 1:32:10 PM5/7/03
[Wednesday 07 May 2003 12:37] Till Westermayer: Security violation in
module <8lRyy...@westermayer-74391.user.cis.dfn.de> - dumping contents...

> [07 May 03: MEow (nikitt...@yahoo.se) wrote something]
>
>>> Not really. If you pronounce it "Gutwik" (I think most people
>>> would do that), there is no way to misunderstand it. The other
>>> way to pronounce it would be "Gutfik" (but a "v" in the middle
>>> of a word wouldn't be pronounced that way), and than it means
>>> the same as a bed called "Gootfook" in English would mean.
>>>
>>Seems they changed it anyway.
>
>>Does this mean that it's true that Vicks (throat tablets) have to
>>sell their product under a different name in Germany?
>
> No. They are selled under the name "Vicks Blau" or some. It's pronounced
> like wicks, so there is (if you leave prepubertarian schoolkids aside)
> no chance of linking it to sexual intercourse, which would be pronounced
> with an 'f'.
>

> till (the next time)

Erm, as far as *I* know they are sold as "Wick Blau", but don't let that
disturb you...

--
emmel <the_emmel*you-know-what-that's-for*@gmx.net>
(Don't forget to remove the ** bit)

Official AGC feedback maniac

"God is playing creatures - and we're the norns."

"A hundred dead are a tragedy - a hundred thousand are statistics."

"I guess you can call yourself lucky." -
"I could, but Linda suits me a little better... :)
Things called lucky tend to get hit by trucks."

Hi, I'm a .sig virus. Just copy me to your .signature. And don't worry.

Ford Prefect

May 8, 2003, 4:10:30 AM5/8/03
dontbe...@aol.com2ndAL25c (Vogon Guard) writes:

> Ford Prefect wrote:
>
>>(Vogon Guard) writes:

>>> Vogon Guard: Mmmmmmmmmm . . . well, doesn't
>>> sound that great to me.
>>
>>FORD: *afraid his plan might not be working out as well
>> as he thought it would*
>> Now, wait a minute! That's just the start! There's more
>> to it than that, you see...
>
> Vogon Guard: No, I think if it's all the same to you I'd
> better just get your both shoved into this airlock
> and then go and get on with some other bits of
> shouting I've got to do.

FORD: *is grabbed again by the Vogon Guard*
But come on *grunt*... now look...

iain

May 8, 2003, 6:12:32 AM5/8/03
Ford Prefect <fo...@kaarefc.dk> wrote in

ARTHUR: *is grabbed again as well* Ow, stop that . . !

It is loading more messages.