Blinky the Shark

Walt Hodgson

Feb 5, 2009, 5:57:42 PM2/5/09

All -

It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

AA

--

Aingon Atelia
IAingo...@sbcglobal.net

Invisible Lurker

Feb 5, 2009, 7:44:15 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka
> Lee Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has
> passed away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday
> morning 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of
> weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

WHAT THE HELL!!?? NO...NO....Can this be true??!!

Why does the signature and the message info (Walter Hodgson)
conflict???

--
Invisible Lurker
http://ansaman.posterous.com/

Invisible Lurker

Feb 5, 2009, 7:46:05 PM2/5/09

Wait...maybe it doesn't. Can someone confirm this???

Dover Beach

Feb 5, 2009, 7:53:43 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was
> 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for letting us know.

--
Dover

Dover Beach

Feb 5, 2009, 7:55:35 PM2/5/09
"Invisible Lurker" <ans...@gmail.com> wrote in

IMDB shows a Lee Rizor who was a camera operator. It doesn't say he's
deceased, but then there's no bio information. It's really quite a shock,
isn't it? We don't really expect colorful characters to go.

--
Dover

Boron Elgar

Feb 5, 2009, 8:05:10 PM2/5/09
On 6 Feb 2009 00:55:35 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Same thing was posted here on the 1st.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=30863813

Invisible Lurker

Feb 5, 2009, 8:05:09 PM2/5/09

He said he was sick...I googled and now remember how he
said he was nauseous and dry heaving and folks suggested
coke syrup. He also said he had awakened in a cold sweat.
Man...this is just horrible!

Patrick M Geahan

Feb 5, 2009, 8:12:52 PM2/5/09
Invisible Lurker <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> WHAT THE HELL!!?? NO...NO....Can this be true??!!

Google Groups(yes, I do see the irony here) shows the last post
from Blinky the Shark, anywhere, in news.software.reader on the 30th of
January.

The profile also shows a significant decline in the quantity
of posts in the last few months. From May 2007 to August 2008, Blinky
posted 1000+ posts a month; that dropped to 300 last November and
around 500 for the last two months.

Barring some kind of weird meta-death thing, I'd tend to believe
Walt.

Pass my condolences on to his family if you will, Walt.

--
-------Patrick M Geahan---...@thepatcave.org---ICQ:3784715------
"You know, this is how the sum total of human knowledge is increased.

Dover Beach

Feb 5, 2009, 8:19:23 PM2/5/09
Patrick M Geahan <pmge...@home.thepatcave.org> wrote in

> Invisible Lurker <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> WHAT THE HELL!!?? NO...NO....Can this be true??!!
>
> Google Groups(yes, I do see the irony here) shows the last post
> from Blinky the Shark, anywhere, in news.software.reader on the 30th of
> January.
>
> The profile also shows a significant decline in the quantity
> of posts in the last few months. From May 2007 to August 2008, Blinky
> posted 1000+ posts a month; that dropped to 300 last November and
> around 500 for the last two months.
>
> Barring some kind of weird meta-death thing, I'd tend to believe
> Walt.
>
> Pass my condolences on to his family if you will, Walt.

And Sanford's right, Blinky was complaining of nausea and illness. I hope
his last days weren't too difficult.

--
Dover

QueBarbara

Feb 5, 2009, 8:44:13 PM2/5/09
On 6 Feb 2009 01:19:23 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Patrick M Geahan <pmge...@home.thepatcave.org> wrote in

I'm in shock. For better or worse, Blinky was a big part of AFCA.
Chatting with him in IRC was a pleasure, when talking to him directly
he was a really nice guy, and always patient and helpful to me.

Sad, now.

--
QueBarbara

actually at nostradamus.net

Feb 5, 2009, 8:45:08 PM2/5/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
>AA

May his memory be for a blessing.

Charles Bishop

Feb 5, 2009, 8:50:17 PM2/5/09
In article <Y9Kil.19669$Ws1....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>,
iaingo...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

This is terrible news, a truly sad day. I am sorry I never got to meet him
when I had so many opportunities. I am glad I knew him here.

You have my deepest sympathy. He will be missed.

charles

Charles Bishop

Feb 5, 2009, 8:50:36 PM2/5/09

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

This is terrible news, a truly sad day. I am sorry I never got to meet him

Heather

Feb 5, 2009, 9:02:08 PM2/5/09
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

That is sad news indeed. My condolences.

--
Heather

Lesmond

Feb 5, 2009, 9:23:24 PM2/5/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson wrote:

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Okay. I read this post and had to close myself in the bathoom for five
minutes, while I thought about it. I started crying and now I can't stop.

Blinky was a cantankerous bastard, but I loved him. We had our ups and downs
(some folks might remember some threads), but we
always managed to remain friends. He was one of my favorite people here.

I thought I felt bad an hour ago when I heard that Lux Interior had died.
Now I feel like throwing up.

My condolences for your loss, Walt. Blinky will be sorely missed, especially
by me.

--
Only a fool would try to save what the desert chose to leave.

Walt Hodgson

Feb 5, 2009, 9:25:39 PM2/5/09

> Walt Hodgson wrote:
>> All -
>>
>> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka
>> Lee Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has
>> passed away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday
>> morning 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of
>> weeks. He was 61.
>>
>> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>>
>> AA
>
> WHAT THE HELL!!?? NO...NO....Can this be true??!!

Sadly, yes.

> Why does the signature and the message info (Walter Hodgson)
> conflict???

Improperly set up reader. I'm not a big newsgroup guy, and my Xnews app
wouldn't let me post for some reason, so I put this in through Thunderbird.

Walt Hodgson

Feb 5, 2009, 9:26:40 PM2/5/09

They wouldn't normally be updated that quickly.

--

Walt Hodgson

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 9:30:25 PM2/5/09

> On 6 Feb 2009 00:55:35 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>"Invisible Lurker" <ans...@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> Wait...maybe it doesn't. Can someone confirm this???

I've fixed it.

>>IMDB shows a Lee Rizor who was a camera operator. It doesn't say he's
>>deceased, but then there's no bio information. It's really quite a shock,
>>isn't it? We don't really expect colorful characters to go.
>

> Same thing was posted here on the 1st.
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=30863813

That was me, too. I would have posted that here, but my Xnews wouldn't
let me post. I didn't want to use Google Groups since that would have
been blasphemy (and most of you wouldn't haves seen it), then I pulled
my head out of my tucuss and remembered that Thunderbird can do newsgroups.

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 9:36:59 PM2/5/09

I read his last posting here on the afternoon of the 29th, where he
indicated that he was feeling better. Same thing he told me in email.
On Saturday afternoon he sent me an email saying that he had just spent
2 hours on the floor, without enough energy to get up. Why he didn't
call for help then I don't know - he sent me an email and apparently
went to bed. When he didn't answer or return my calls either Saturday
night or Sunday morning, I went up to check on him, and found his body.

It's been a helluva week since then, on many levels, but today I was
finally able to contact his ex and daughter (through Facebook, of all
things), so the ball is rolling. I'll try to keep people apprised as to
any memorials that happen. There will probably be one here in Los
Angeles and one in Michigan, where he will be buried between his parents.

Lesmond

Feb 5, 2009, 9:48:04 PM2/5/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:36:59 -0800, Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

>I read his last posting here on the afternoon of the 29th, where he
>indicated that he was feeling better. Same thing he told me in email.
>On Saturday afternoon he sent me an email saying that he had just spent
>2 hours on the floor, without enough energy to get up. Why he didn't
>call for help then I don't know - he sent me an email and apparently
>went to bed. When he didn't answer or return my calls either Saturday
>night or Sunday morning, I went up to check on him, and found his body.

What a nightmare. I'm sorry it had to be you.

Lesmond

Feb 5, 2009, 9:49:31 PM2/5/09

But some sort of beautiful irony, in the best sense of the word.

>(and most of you wouldn't haves seen it), then I pulled
>my head out of my tucuss and remembered that Thunderbird can do newsgroups.

Thank you for letting us know.

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 9:50:03 PM2/5/09

> Invisible Lurker <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> WHAT THE HELL!!?? NO...NO....Can this be true??!!
>
> Google Groups(yes, I do see the irony here) shows the last post
> from Blinky the Shark, anywhere, in news.software.reader on the 30th of
> January.

<lookity>

And from that, you'd have no indication that he was sick at all.

> The profile also shows a significant decline in the quantity
> of posts in the last few months. From May 2007 to August 2008, Blinky
> posted 1000+ posts a month; that dropped to 300 last November and
> around 500 for the last two months.

On that front, he had also become active in some photography forums over
at dpreviews.com, as he was really getting into his new gear, so that
would have taken a lot of his posting bandwidth.

> Barring some kind of weird meta-death thing, I'd tend to believe
> Walt.
>
> Pass my condolences on to his family if you will, Walt.

Will do.

Mikko Peltoniemi

Feb 5, 2009, 9:52:49 PM2/5/09
I'm speechless... But thank you anyway for letting us know.

--
My Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25892068@N07/

Jeannie

Feb 5, 2009, 9:53:00 PM2/5/09
I'm so sad to hear this, Walt, and sorry for your--and all of our--
loss.

Jeannie
also apologizing--but just this once--for posting via GG

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 9:59:59 PM2/5/09

Thanks, Charles.

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 10:02:38 PM2/5/09

Thank you. It's wonderful to know that he has so many friends, even if
most have never actually met him. He touched more lives than I'll ever
know.

Invisible Lurker

Feb 5, 2009, 10:03:25 PM2/5/09
Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

Vey appropriate. Blinky HATED Google Groups.

huey.c...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2009, 10:04:06 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka
> Lee Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has
> passed away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday
> morning 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks.
> He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

As I read this, the radio has started playing the Mountain Goats "I Am
Gonna Make It Through This Year If It Kills Me".

Long may you run, my strong brother.

--
Huey

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 10:04:09 PM2/5/09

I'm actually glad it was. It was much better than getting an unexpected
call from the coroner, who nabbed his cell phone in an attempt to find
his next of kin. I wound up doing that, through Facebook.

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 10:06:13 PM2/5/09

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:30:25 -0800, Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

>>> Same thing was posted here on the 1st.
>>>
>>> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=30863813
>>
>>That was me, too. I would have posted that here, but my Xnews wouldn't
>>let me post. I didn't want to use Google Groups since that would have
>>been blasphemy
>
> But some sort of beautiful irony, in the best sense of the word.

Yeah, I saw that, but he still woulda bitchslapped me for it.

Jeff Wisnia

Feb 5, 2009, 10:07:53 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed

> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

I'm feeling like I've lost a very close friend, even though our
relationship existed solely on AFCA.

If a receipient for memorial contributions is decided upon please let me
know.

Sadly,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Invisible Lurker

Feb 5, 2009, 10:09:04 PM2/5/09
Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

Didn't he seem to know how seriously ill he was?
I mean without violating any confidences was there
something wrong with his health or did this thing
sort of catch him unawares?

Now I am very upset. The thought of him struggling
about and somehow not getting medical help is
very upsetting to me. I live alone and sometimes
I wonder if I might find myself in the same situation
some day.

This is just killing me.

Charles Bishop

Feb 5, 2009, 10:12:34 PM2/5/09
In article <qnNil.11925$W06....@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>,
iaingo...@sbcglobal.net wrote:

[snip]

>It's been a helluva week since then, on many levels, but today I was
>finally able to contact his ex and daughter (through Facebook, of all
>things), so the ball is rolling. I'll try to keep people apprised as to
> any memorials that happen. There will probably be one here in Los
>Angeles and one in Michigan, where he will be buried between his parents.

Please pass on condolences to his ex and daughter. As others have
mentioned we will miss someone we have never met and are thinking of them.

--
charles

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 10:12:48 PM2/5/09

> Walt Hodgson wrote:
>> All -
>>
>> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>>
>> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>>
>> AA
>>

> I'm feeling like I've lost a very close friend, even though our
> relationship existed solely on AFCA.
>
> If a receipient for memorial contributions is decided upon please let me
> know.

Will do.

Invisible Lurker

Feb 5, 2009, 10:16:17 PM2/5/09

For those who might have never visited, he had at least
two sets of very professional web pages filled with
opinion and humor:

http://improve-usenet.org/
http://blinkynet.net/

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 5, 2009, 10:16:57 PM2/5/09

He believed that he was getting better.

He told me he had started developing a cough at work on the 18th, and
that it had worsened, but it had finally broken up a bit and the
coughing was "productive", although he had no appetite. He got very
thirsty near the end, though.

> Now I am very upset. The thought of him struggling
> about and somehow not getting medical help is
> very upsetting to me. I live alone and sometimes
> I wonder if I might find myself in the same situation
> some day.
>
> This is just killing me.

Me, too. I'd like to pass around the virtual hugs for everyone, because
I think we all could use it right now.

Dana Carpender

Feb 5, 2009, 10:25:30 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

I am crying. I am screaming.

Blinky. Blinky our friend.

Dana

Opus the Penguin

Feb 5, 2009, 10:33:01 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson (aingon...@sbcglobal.net) wrote:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark,
> aka Lee Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years,
> has passed away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or
> Sunday morning 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a
> couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated
> as I know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address
> below.
>
> AA

What sad news! This must be so difficult for you, Walt. My condolences
to you and to those who knew and loved him in "real" life.

--
Opus the Penguin

M. Shirley Chong

Feb 5, 2009, 10:51:01 PM2/5/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:

> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

I'm so very sorry. Blinky was a warm, funny, intelligent man and I
will miss him.

Shirley

Reunite Gondwanaland (Mary Shafer)

Feb 5, 2009, 11:04:32 PM2/5/09
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>

> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Oh, this is terrible news. I grieve for our loss and thank you for
thinking to tell us, in the midst of your own grief. That's very kind
of you and Lee deserved more than to just vanish off the Subjects
window, leaving someone to ask about his absence a few months from
now.

Mary "A special and unique person."

We didn't just do weird stuff at Dryden, we wrote reports about it.
reunite....@gmail.com or mil...@qnet.com
Visit my blog at http://thedigitalknitter.blogspot.com/

Greg Johnson

Feb 5, 2009, 11:51:10 PM2/5/09
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>All -

>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

That's very sad news. I'll miss his presence here.

M C Hamster

Feb 6, 2009, 12:49:01 AM2/6/09
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>

>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Like everyone else here, Walt, I am devastated by this
nearly-incomprehensible news. He enriched this group greatly, and
things will never be the same without him. My deepest condolences to
you for your loss.

--
M C Hamster "Big Wheel Keep on Turning" -- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Lesmond

Feb 6, 2009, 12:49:19 AM2/6/09

That's the Blinky I knew and loved...:)

Lesmond

Feb 6, 2009, 12:51:42 AM2/6/09

All right. But for me, given the choice, would be, "Yes, but no thank you."

Lars Eighner

Feb 6, 2009, 12:52:14 AM2/6/09
In our last episode, <6v1mvuF...@mid.individual.net>, the lovely and
talented Mikko Peltoniemi broadcast on alt.fan.cecil-adams:

> I'm speechless... But thank you anyway for letting us know.

Makes me want to kick googlegroups right in the nuts.

If it had nuts.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> use...@larseighner.com
16 days since Rick Warren prayed over Bush's third term.

Justin Hiltscher

Feb 6, 2009, 12:59:22 AM2/6/09
On 2009-02-06, Lesmond <les...@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson wrote:
>

>>All -
>>
>>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>>
>>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> Okay. I read this post and had to close myself in the bathoom for five
> minutes, while I thought about it. I started crying and now I can't stop.
>
> Blinky was a cantankerous bastard, but I loved him. We had our ups and downs
> (some folks might remember some threads), but we
> always managed to remain friends. He was one of my favorite people here.
>
> I thought I felt bad an hour ago when I heard that Lux Interior had died.
> Now I feel like throwing up.
>
> My condolences for your loss, Walt. Blinky will be sorely missed, especially
> by me.

Leroy. (crying)

--
Justin Hiltscher

Veronique

Feb 6, 2009, 1:05:00 AM2/6/09
On Feb 5, 2:57 pm, Walt Hodgson <aingonate...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things.  Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Thank you for letting us know. He was a large part of the AFCA
community.

V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep

Philc.

Feb 6, 2009, 1:10:11 AM2/6/09
Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

>> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson wrote:
>>
>>> All -
>>>
>>> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>>> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>>> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>>> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

Dear Walt Sincere condolences from Australia .

I only very recently. Within the last 6 months began
to converse regularly with Blinky. Although over the years
we swapped exchanges on a few topics in various NG

One of those rare humans one is improved by simply by any form of contact .

Always polite and at most exchanges I recall having a smile on my dial
because of him .

Thank you for letting us all know in the manner you did .
P down in Oz

bill van

Feb 6, 2009, 1:35:47 AM2/6/09
In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@news.motzarella.org>,
"Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote:

This is a real shocker. He and I compared notes a few times on how we're
almost exactly the same age. Mortality and all that.

He was abrasive and helpful, thin- and thick-skinned all at the same
time, a complex character who was a big part of this place. He and I had
some fights, but he always came back as if nothing had happened. I will
miss him.

I wonder, did he know he was seriously ill? I don't think he ever let on
that there was something major.

--
bill
remove my country for e-mail

Jim Beaver

Feb 6, 2009, 1:47:21 AM2/6/09

"bill van" <bil...@shawcanada.ca> wrote in message

I just went back and Googled past usenet conversations in which he and I
both participated and was reminded just how helpful and courteous he was in
virtually every instance I can find. I had forgotten, too, that he'd been
just as helpful and courteous over on the 24support.helpdesk group, and had
walked me through any number of technical computer problems. I'm very sorry
we've lost him.

Jim Beaver

Mark Steese

Feb 6, 2009, 1:59:05 AM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:Y9Kil.19669
$Ws1....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>

> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>

> AA

Damn.

He was a good shark. Vale, Blinky.
--
Mark Steese
PS: Your second question, you thought I forgot? I didn't. I never found the

Lars Eighner

Feb 6, 2009, 2:22:17 AM2/6/09
In our last episode,
<billvan-900550...@shawnews.cg.shawcable.net>, the lovely and
talented bill van broadcast on alt.fan.cecil-adams:

blinkynet.net is still up at the moment and so is this set of galleries:

<http://www.pbase.com/blinkytheshark/profile>
pbase Artist Blinky the Shark

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 6, 2009, 2:39:59 AM2/6/09

> In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@news.motzarella.org>,
> "Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:06:13 -0800, Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:
>>
>> >Yeah, I saw that, but he still woulda bitchslapped me for it.
>>
>> That's the Blinky I knew and loved...:)
>
> This is a real shocker. He and I compared notes a few times on how we're
> almost exactly the same age. Mortality and all that.
>
> He was abrasive and helpful, thin- and thick-skinned all at the same
> time, a complex character who was a big part of this place. He and I had
> some fights, but he always came back as if nothing had happened. I will
> miss him.

That pretty much describes our relationship, too.

> I wonder, did he know he was seriously ill? I don't think he ever let on
> that there was something major.

He certainly didn't seem to think so. Just 2 days before he died he
indicated that he thought he was improving.

Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson)

Feb 6, 2009, 2:42:05 AM2/6/09

that was him, yep.

bill van

Feb 6, 2009, 3:05:29 AM2/6/09
In article <uPRil.15527$YU2....@nlpi066.nbdc.sbc.com>,

Sad. If he'd known, I wonder if there was anything that could have been
done.

Walt, thanks not only for letting us know, but for checking back and
helping us through this.

Not to be ghoulish, but if you hear anything about the cause of death,
I'd be interested.

Magnus, Robot Fighter

Feb 6, 2009, 3:13:58 AM2/6/09

I'm very sorry to hear all this.

I too have been going over old threads from several years back and
have come to two conclusions:

1. I used to be a real thin-skinned asshole.

2. Blinky was very, very funny.

Sorry, again...
Dale Sams.

Snidely

Feb 6, 2009, 3:44:09 AM2/6/09
On Feb 5, 9:52 pm, Lars Eighner <use...@larseighner.com> wrote:
> In our last episode, <6v1mvuFhog2...@mid.individual.net>, the lovely and

> talented Mikko Peltoniemi broadcast on alt.fan.cecil-adams:
>
> > I'm speechless... But thank you anyway for letting us know.
>
> Makes me want to kick googlegroups right in the nuts.

Hey, we GG'ers can mourn, too.

Blinky had a way of bringing interesting topics to the group, and even
when you were annoyed by some of his attitudes he still generated a
sense of camaraderie.

May there be shoals of tuna in his new playground.

/dps

Nick Spalding

Feb 6, 2009, 3:57:21 AM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson wrote, in <Y9Kil.19669$Ws1....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>
on Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

That is terrible. He was good to have around in the group. Condolences
to you and his family.
--
Nick Spalding

Kajikit

Feb 6, 2009, 7:45:29 AM2/6/09
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 22:09:04 -0500, "Invisible Lurker"
<ans...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

>>> He said he was sick...I googled and now remember how he said he was
>>> nauseous and dry heaving and folks suggested coke syrup. He also said
>>> he had awakened in a cold sweat. Man...this is just horrible!
>>

>> I read his last posting here on the afternoon of the 29th, where he
>> indicated that he was feeling better. Same thing he told me in email.
>> On Saturday afternoon he sent me an email saying that he had just
>> spent 2 hours on the floor, without enough energy to get up. Why he
>> didn't call for help then I don't know - he sent me an email and
>> apparently went to bed. When he didn't answer or return my calls
>> either Saturday night or Sunday morning, I went up to check on him,
>> and found his body.
>>

>> It's been a helluva week since then, on many levels, but today I was
>> finally able to contact his ex and daughter (through Facebook, of all
>> things), so the ball is rolling. I'll try to keep people apprised as
>> to any memorials that happen. There will probably be one here in Los
>> Angeles and one in Michigan, where he will be buried between his
>> parents.
>
>Didn't he seem to know how seriously ill he was?
>I mean without violating any confidences was there
>something wrong with his health or did this thing
>sort of catch him unawares?
>

>Now I am very upset. The thought of him struggling
>about and somehow not getting medical help is
>very upsetting to me. I live alone and sometimes
>I wonder if I might find myself in the same situation
>some day.
>
>This is just killing me.

Oh no. This is terrible news. He's not the first person to die from
what they thought was 'just the flu' and he won't be the last... but
it truly sucks. Didn't he know that sharks are supposed to live
forever?

Lesmond

Feb 6, 2009, 8:20:55 AM2/6/09

Yes, here, too. It's a question that you hate to ask, but...

Lisa Ann

Feb 6, 2009, 8:39:28 AM2/6/09
"Walt Hodgson" <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

Oh, wow...I don't even know what to think about this. 61 is too damn young
to die.

I'll miss him.

Lisa Ann

Lisa Ann

Feb 6, 2009, 9:05:31 AM2/6/09
"Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson wrote:
>

>>All -
>>
>>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>>
>>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> Okay. I read this post and had to close myself in the bathoom for five
> minutes, while I thought about it. I started crying and now I can't stop.
>
> Blinky was a cantankerous bastard, but I loved him. We had our ups and
> downs
> (some folks might remember some threads), but we
> always managed to remain friends. He was one of my favorite people here.
>
> I thought I felt bad an hour ago when I heard that Lux Interior had died.
> Now I feel like throwing up.
>
> My condolences for your loss, Walt. Blinky will be sorely missed,
> especially
> by me.

Yes, I read it this morning here at work, and had to go in the bathroom and
cry for a few minutes. I'll miss him a lot.

Condolences to you, Walt, and to his family.

Lisa Ann

Joseph Nebus

Feb 6, 2009, 9:50:00 AM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> writes:

>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

That's horrible news. I'm sorry.

--
Joseph Nebus

DT

Feb 6, 2009, 10:04:05 AM2/6/09
To awake to this news is tragic. Blinky was one of the people who defined what
AFC-A is. The new AFC-A, that is. I always felt that the group transformed from
being a "Here's the answer" group to a chat room, and Blinky personified this
change. Back when the stats were posted monthly, Blinky was often the most
prolific poster. He could talk about anything. No thread was complete without
several posts from Blinky.

Blinky swam in deep waters, the AFC-A 羨 list', and I hung out in the shallows.
But we had a thread or two in common. He mentioned one in a post a year or so
ago and it made me feel great that the Blinkster remembered me.

After I wrote this I did a spell check. A box popped up and asked me what I
wanted to do with "Blinky". I clicked, "Add". Swim on my cartilaginous friend.
Run deep and cool through schools of baitfish.

Denny

Lesmond

Feb 6, 2009, 10:10:53 AM2/6/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:16:57 -0800, Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:

>He believed that he was getting better.
>
>He told me he had started developing a cough at work on the 18th, and
>that it had worsened, but it had finally broken up a bit and the
>coughing was "productive", although he had no appetite. He got very
>thirsty near the end, though.

>> Now I am very upset. The thought of him struggling
>> about and somehow not getting medical help is
>> very upsetting to me. I live alone and sometimes
>> I wonder if I might find myself in the same situation
>> some day.
>>
>> This is just killing me.
>>

>Me, too. I'd like to pass around the virtual hugs for everyone, because
>I think we all could use it right now.

You've been terrific through this and I'll mush right up next to you.

Kim

Feb 6, 2009, 10:12:34 AM2/6/09
QueBarbara wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2009 01:19:23 GMT, Dover Beach <moon.b...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Patrick M Geahan <pmge...@home.thepatcave.org> wrote in

>>> Google Groups(yes, I do see the irony here) shows the last post
>>> from Blinky the Shark, anywhere, in news.software.reader on the
>>> 30th of January.
>>>
>>> The profile also shows a significant decline in the quantity
>>> of posts in the last few months. From May 2007 to August 2008,
>>> Blinky posted 1000+ posts a month; that dropped to 300 last
>>> November and around 500 for the last two months.
>>>
>>> Barring some kind of weird meta-death thing, I'd tend to believe
>>> Walt.
>>>
>>> Pass my condolences on to his family if you will, Walt.
>>>

>> And Sanford's right, Blinky was complaining of nausea and illness.
>> I hope his last days weren't too difficult.
>
> I'm in shock. For better or worse, Blinky was a big part of AFCA.
> Chatting with him in IRC was a pleasure, when talking to him directly
> he was a really nice guy, and always patient and helpful to me.
>
> Sad, now.

I agree. I loved Blinky, he was always so nice to me and such a great
friend. I spoke to him many times on the phone and I will miss him
immensely. I am really, really sad.

Today I will wear the "Hanging with my Peeps" shirt he sent me, and hope
that he is now the head of the great "Afterlife Improvement Project."

--
Kim
www.thedarwinexception.wordpress.com

Kim

Feb 6, 2009, 10:21:27 AM2/6/09
DT wrote:
> To awake to this news is tragic. Blinky was one of the people who
> defined what AFC-A is. The new AFC-A, that is. I always felt that the
> group transformed from being a "Here's the answer" group to a chat
> room, and Blinky personified this change. Back when the stats were
> posted monthly, Blinky was often the most prolific poster. He could
> talk about anything. No thread was complete without several posts
> from Blinky.
>
> Blinky swam in deep waters, the AFC-A 'A list', and I hung out in the

> shallows. But we had a thread or two in common. He mentioned one in a
> post a year or so ago and it made me feel great that the Blinkster
> remembered me.
>
> After I wrote this I did a spell check. A box popped up and asked me
> what I wanted to do with "Blinky". I clicked, "Add". Swim on my
> cartilaginous friend. Run deep and cool through schools of baitfish.

That was beautiful, DT. A very touching memorial for Blinky. Thank you for
sharing it.

Bill Kinkaid

Feb 6, 2009, 10:27:30 AM2/6/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 22:35:47 -0800, bill van <bil...@shawcanada.ca>
wrote:

>In article <yrfzbaqirevmbaar...@news.motzarella.org>,
> "Lesmond" <les...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 19:06:13 -0800, Aingon Atelia (Walt Hodgson) wrote:
>>
>> >Yeah, I saw that, but he still woulda bitchslapped me for it.
>>
>> That's the Blinky I knew and loved...:)
>
>This is a real shocker. He and I compared notes a few times on how we're
>almost exactly the same age. Mortality and all that.

Speaking of which, veteran CBC news guy Russ Germaine was 61 and just
died this week. Did you have any contact with him?

--
Bill in Vancouver

uan...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2009, 10:36:04 AM2/6/09
On Feb 5, 4:57 pm, Walt Hodgson <aingonate...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things.  Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA
>
> --
>
> Aingon Atelia
> IAingonAte...@sbcglobal.net

> Poke out my left I to reply

Well crap. I'm very sorry.

--
Kevin
and yes, I'm posting this via GG. He can lambaste me for all eternity

Estron

Feb 6, 2009, 10:57:29 AM2/6/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson wrote:

>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

I've been busy recently, and I just saw this announcement today, Friday
2/6.

Please let me add my voice to the chorus of those who have said Blinky
(Lee) was a huge part of this newsgroup, was greatly respected, and will be
missed.

Also, his web pages amused me greatly.

My sympathies to you, Walt, and to all who knew Lee in friendship, in
family, in professional circles, and in just plain real life.

--
All opinions expressed herein are only that, and are my own.
Pax vobiscum.

N Jill Marsh

Feb 6, 2009, 10:58:13 AM2/6/09
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> When he didn't answer or return my calls either Saturday
>night or Sunday morning, I went up to check on him, and found his body.
>
>It's been a helluva week since then, on many levels, but today I was
>finally able to contact his ex and daughter (through Facebook, of all
>things), so the ball is rolling. I'll try to keep people apprised as to
> any memorials that happen. There will probably be one here in Los
>Angeles and one in Michigan, where he will be buried between his parents.

My condolences for the loss of your friend. It sounds rather sad and
horrible for you, but as you said, it was likely better than receiving
the news impersonally. Thank you for taking the time to post the
news.

Jill

--
"His eyes were of the blue of the forget-me-not, and of a profound melancholy..."

Greg Goss

Feb 6, 2009, 11:18:59 AM2/6/09
"Invisible Lurker" <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Invisible Lurker wrote:
>For those who might have never visited, he had at least
>two sets of very professional web pages filled with
>opinion and humor:
>
>http://improve-usenet.org/
>http://blinkynet.net/

And at one point (IIRC) dogfish.net. I think he eventually copied
that into blinkynet and let it lapse.
--
"The world is becoming the "Truman Show" with really bad writers."
Jim Sinclair

Greg Goss

Feb 6, 2009, 11:22:19 AM2/6/09
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

>"Invisible Lurker" <ans...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Invisible Lurker wrote:
>>For those who might have never visited, he had at least
>>two sets of very professional web pages filled with
>>opinion and humor:
>>
>>http://improve-usenet.org/
>>http://blinkynet.net/
>
>And at one point (IIRC) dogfish.net. I think he eventually copied
>that into blinkynet and let it lapse.

Don't follow my mention of dogfish. In the ultimate blasphemy,
dogfish.net has been replaced by a dummy page that then pops up a
virus "search" implanter.

John Dean

Feb 6, 2009, 11:48:22 AM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka
> Lee Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has
> passed away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday
> morning 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of
> weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

That's so sad, to go so young - he brought so much to this group. My
condolences to you and all his family.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Hatpin

Feb 6, 2009, 11:54:39 AM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:

>All -
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Many thanks indeed for taking the trouble to let us know. The fact
that you did is indication of how good a brother you were to him. It
must have been a terrible shock to you.

He and I had our differences of opinions, but I liked the guy a lot,
and this is very upsetting news for all of us. AFCA is diminished by
his passing.

We're an odd assortment of people, but the best posters hammer out the
simple truth in everything, don't tolerate bullshit, are fascinated by
even the most trivial things but respectful of the important ones,
write very well and above all have a great sense of humour. Lee
fitted that description in every way, and was a truly interesting guy
to have around. He will be missed hugely.

Here's hoping that in Blinky's Heaven the fish are plentiful, tasty
and easy to catch (none of them Google Groupers, of course), and that
soup there is always made from chickens.

Rest in peace, Blinky. You have my respect.
--
John Hatpin

Lee Ayrton

Feb 6, 2009, 12:22:53 PM2/6/09
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Walt Hodgson wrote:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Oh. Shit. All I can think to say right now.

Bill Turlock

Feb 6, 2009, 12:43:54 PM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

This just sucks. My condolences to all concerned.

Bill :-(

Les Albert

Feb 6, 2009, 12:52:44 PM2/6/09
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>All -
>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
>2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
>know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Shocked and saddened by the loss. He was an interesting and
interested man. My condolences to you and his family.

Les

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Anny Middon

Feb 6, 2009, 2:35:29 PM2/6/09
There's nothing new I can say -- everyone else has already posted what I'm
thinking and feeling. But let me add my voice to the chorus -- I am shocked
and saddened. He will be missed. May he rest in peace.

Anny

Bill Diamond

Feb 6, 2009, 2:41:31 PM2/6/09

Oh. damn.
Blinky was a wonderful guy, lots of fun. Witty without cruelty.
I am very sorry for your loss

Bill

S. Checker

Feb 6, 2009, 3:57:22 PM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

Words fail me. Lee was remarkable even through this limited medium. I
am sure those who knew him personally are feeling his absence.

darkon

Feb 6, 2009, 4:15:15 PM2/6/09
"Walt Hodgson" <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee

> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>

> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Aww. I just noticed what this thread was about. That's awful. I thought
Blinky was just having another long "discussion" with someone about, oh,
Google Groups, .sig files, or something.

I followed Blinky into AFC-A after seeing his posts in
news.software.readers. Thank you, Blinky. I'll miss you.

Raven-Poe

Feb 6, 2009, 6:25:27 PM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> All -

> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee

> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

You have my sincere condolences for your loss and my thanks for letting us
know. Too often, people just aren't heard from again.

I'd like to know if there's an obituary anywhere.

John
--
Here, have 10 Opus Points (TM)
Remove the dead poet to e-mail.

Peter Ward

Feb 6, 2009, 6:42:44 PM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson says...

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

He was a good bloke. I'm sorry to hear the bad news.

--

Peter

I'm an alien
email: home at peteward dot gotadsl dot co dot uk
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space
Because there's bugger all down here on earth
- Monty Python

Mary

Feb 6, 2009, 6:43:05 PM2/6/09
On Feb 6, 10:54 am, John Hatpin

What John said. Thanks for letting us know, Walt.

Blinky was one of a kind.

Mary

Dominic

Feb 6, 2009, 7:05:37 PM2/6/09

"Walt Hodgson" <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

So sorry for the loss of your friend. Safe journey Blinky.

Dominic
xx

Snidely

Feb 6, 2009, 7:17:40 PM2/6/09
On Feb 6, 3:25 pm, ra...@westnet.poe.com (Raven-Poe) wrote:

> I'd like to know if there's an obituary anywhere.

It may not be ready yet. I was just looking at the LA Times site,
without sighting one.

/dps

Devil Worshipping Heavy Metal Fan

Feb 6, 2009, 8:44:08 PM2/6/09
this sucks

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Feb 6, 2009, 12:54:52 AM2/6/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.

Walt, I am sorry for your loss. Thank you for thinking to track us down
and let us know.

My condolences,

Xho

Peter Boulding

Feb 6, 2009, 9:11:51 PM2/6/09
On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0800, Walt Hodgson
<aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
<Y9Kil.19669$Ws1....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com>:

>It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
>Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
>away.

What they all said. I shall miss his cantankerousness, his ability to
interest or amuse on such a wide range of subjects, and most of all his
sharp, off-key, wit.

My condolences, Walt. Thanks for letting us know.

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
p...@UNSPAMpboulding.co.uk (to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")

Don K

Feb 6, 2009, 10:10:26 PM2/6/09
"Walt Hodgson" <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.

It is so sad to hear this. Blinky the Shark was one of the good guys.
I will miss his good nature and his wit.

Don

Dana Carpender

Feb 6, 2009, 10:49:28 PM2/6/09
Devil Worshipping Heavy Metal Fan wrote:
> this sucks

Very much so. I have been sad all day. It's really hard to believe
Blinky's gone.

Dana

Bill Turlock

Feb 7, 2009, 12:48:14 AM2/7/09

Now that I'm temporarily done leaking...

Why do I have this picture of him saying that night, "Hey, guys,
watch this!"?

Sean Houtman

Feb 7, 2009, 4:38:18 AM2/7/09
Walt Hodgson <aingon...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:Y9Kil.19669
$Ws1....@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

Like many others, I have nothing to add besides "what they said".

Sean

John Mc

Feb 7, 2009, 8:12:32 AM2/7/09
Walt Hodgson wrote:
> All -
>
> It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> know things. Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> AA

Walt-

I've only had limited contact with him through AFCA but I'm totally
shocked by his passing. My heartfelt condolences to all his loved ones
and family.

John Mc.

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Ted The Cat

Feb 7, 2009, 8:38:45 AM2/7/09
On Feb 7, 3:38 am, Sean Houtman <seanphout...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Walt Hodgson <aingonate...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:Y9Kil.19669
> $Ws1.4...@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

> > All -
>
> > It is with a heavy heart that I tell you that Blinky the Shark, aka Lee
> > Rizor, my best friend and brother for the last 15 years, has passed
> > away. He passed in his sleep sometime Saturday 1/31 or Sunday morning
> > 2/1, after having been increasingly ill for a couple of weeks. He was 61.
>
> > There is no news yet on any services. I will keep people updated as I
> > know things.  Any messages may be sent to me at the address below.
>
> > AA
>
> Like many others, I have nothing to add besides "what they said".
>
> Sean

What Sean said.

PeterL

Feb 7, 2009, 10:08:54 AM2/7/09
bill van <bil...@shawcanada.ca> wrote in news:billvan-
900550.223...@shawnews.cg.shawcable.net:

> I wonder, did he know he was seriously ill? I don't think he ever let on
> that there was something major.

One of his last posts in rec.food.cooking............

Blinky the Shark
Jan 28, 4:09 pm
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
From: Blinky the Shark <no.s...@box.invalid>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 22:09:31 -0800
Subject: Doctor Mom

I feel like shit. I may have about ten minutes, here, before I have to go
back to bed. Can't sleep, but don't have the energy to do anything else,
either -- not even read. (And that just kills me.) So I've been flashing
back to little home remedies from growing up in the 1950s...

I think sometimes Mom would give me small amounts of what I remember as a
weak solution of sugar in water. Ever heard of that?

Burnt Toast: I distinctly remember Mom burning a slice of toast and
scraping the ashes into a glass of water. I guess this was to settle a
stomach (the charcoal or whateveer) -- probably more from acid upset than
from feeling urpy.

Liquid Jell-O. I guess that was a variant on sugar water; it's not like
there was sugar-free Jell-0 in 1953.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups -

Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you who you are.

Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Message has been deleted
It is loading more messages.