Kingston, NY - Web Designer Wanted

Graphics Designer Needed

Dec 24, 2002, 1:38:01 PM12/24/02
We have and immediate opening in our Kingston, NY location for a part
time experienced, talented graphic designer who has strong design
skills. This is freelance position - this is not a work from home
position.

Skills: PC based Photoshop, Corel and Flash. Basic print design is
required as well. Minimum one year experience in professional
enviroment. Hand coded HTMl required cold fusion and asp a plus.

Must be intelligent, creative and possess excellent communications
skills

Start Date: Immediate

Please email list of sites as well as complete resume to
grap...@hvc.rr.com

Sarge

Dec 24, 2002, 4:33:56 PM12/24/02
You told us what you expect from us - now what are you offering ?

"Graphics Designer Needed" <grap...@hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

Graphics Designer Needed

Dec 29, 2002, 6:03:52 PM12/29/02
We have and immediate opening in our Kingston, NY location for an as
needed experienced, talented graphic designer who has strong design

skills. This is freelance position - this is not a work from home
position.

Skills: PC based Photoshop, Corel and Flash. Basic print design is
required as well. Minimum one year experience in professional

enviroment. Hand coded HTML required cold fusion and asp a plus.

Must be intelligent, creative and possess excellent communications
skills

Start Date: Immediate

Please email list of sites complete resume and salary requirments to:
grap...@hvc.rr.com

Shawangunk

Dec 29, 2002, 9:58:54 PM12/29/02
** HEADS UP **

For 75K they won't get anyone to leave Microsoft - your salary requirements
should not be any less.

"Please email list of sites" - This is unfair and you should avoid doing
this. The sites/designs are generally what clients wanted and should not
reflect your potential creativeness... and viewing such does not demonstrate
your coding/logic or ability to document your code for the next guy.

SpaceGirl

Dec 29, 2002, 10:17:43 PM12/29/02
Does this include a nice relocation package & green card from Scotland, I
wonder? :)

Carol Ott

Dec 29, 2002, 10:31:28 PM12/29/02
You wouldn't want to live in Kingston, NY.....too bloody cold in the
wintertime. ;-)

Carol
www.csottdesign.com
www.csott.com
REMOVE 'NOSPAM' TO REPLY.

"SpaceGirl" <spac...@subhuman.net> wrote in message

Matt Bostock

Dec 29, 2002, 10:37:07 PM12/29/02
Couldn't be any colder than Scotland :)

Matt
--
www.mattbostock.com
professional graphic design

"Carol Ott" <carol...@verizon.net> wrote in message

---

Tom Hand

Dec 30, 2002, 12:41:44 AM12/30/02

"SpaceGirl" <spac...@subhuman.net> wrote in message

I wonder if they truly know what a freelancer is under the law. A
freelancer cannot be given orders by management or be required to work
specific hours or at a specific location unless the nature of the work would
make an alternative work location impossible, and they must remain free to
sell their work to anyone, including the competition. Otherwise they are an
employee and they are entitled to certain benefits, including the employer
FICA contribution and payroll tax deductions, and coverage under worker's
comp. and disability insurance plans. The statement that it is a freelance
position but not a work at home position seem incongruous for the position
of graphics designer, which could be performed nearly anywhere..

Fred Doyle

Dec 30, 2002, 6:12:59 AM12/30/02
> You wouldn't want to live in Kingston, NY.....too bloody cold in the
> wintertime. ;-)

Hey!!!I live NORTH of Kingston!!!

--
Fred Doyle
http://www.leafpublishing.com

Haughty Male

Dec 30, 2002, 6:57:37 AM12/30/02
"Tom Hand" <troy...@earthling.net> wrote in message news:<i0RP9.1509$nd.6...@newsfeed1.thebiz.net>...

> I wonder if they truly know what a freelancer is under the law. A
> freelancer cannot be given orders by management or be required to work
> specific hours or at a specific location unless the nature of the work would
> make an alternative work location impossible, and they must remain free to
> sell their work to anyone, including the competition. Otherwise they are an
> employee and they are entitled to certain benefits, including the employer
> FICA contribution and payroll tax deductions, and coverage under worker's
> comp. and disability insurance plans. The statement that it is a freelance
> position but not a work at home position seem incongruous for the position
> of graphics designer, which could be performed nearly anywhere..

The folllowing are the IRS guidelines for determining the difference
between a freelancer, or independent contractor, and an employee.

Common-Law Rules

To determine whether an individual is an employee or an independent
contractor under the common law, the relationship of the worker and
the business must be examined. All evidence of control and
independence must be considered. In any employee-independent
contractor determination, all information that provides evidence of
the degree of control and the degree of independence must be
considered.

Facts that provide evidence of the degree of control and independence
fall into three categories: behavioral control, financial control, and
the type of relationship of the parties as shown below.

Behavioral control. Facts that show whether the business has a right
to direct and control how the worker does the task for which the
worker is hired include the type and degree of--

Instructions the business gives the worker. An employee is generally
subject to the business' instructions about when, where, and how to
work. All of the following are examples of types of instructions about
how to do work:

When and where to do the work

What tools or equipment to use

What workers to hire or to assist with the work

Where to purchase supplies and services

What work must be performed by a specified individual

What order or sequence to follow

The amount of instruction needed varies among different jobs. Even if
no instructions are given, sufficient behavioral control may exist if
the employer has the right to control how the work results are
achieved. A business may lack the knowledge to instruct some highly
specialized professionals; in other cases, the task may require little
or no instruction. The key consideration is whether the business has
retained the right to control the details of a worker's performance or
instead has given up that right.

Training the business gives the worker. An employee may be trained to
perform services in a particular manner. Independent contractors
ordinarily use their own methods.

Financial control. Facts that show whether the business has a right to
control the business aspects of the worker's job include:

The extent to which the worker has unreimbursed business expenses.
Independent contractors are more likely to have unreimbursed expenses
than are employees. Fixed ongoing costs that are incurred regardless
of whether work is currently being performed are especially important.
However, employees may also incur unreimbursed expenses in connection
with the services they perform for their business.

The extent of the worker's investment. An independent contractor often
has a significant investment in the facilities he or she uses in
performing services for someone else. However, a significant
investment is not necessary for independent contractor status.

The extent to which the worker makes services available to the
relevant market. An independent contractor is generally free to seek
out business opportunities. Independent contractors often advertise,
maintain a visible business location, and are available to work in the
relevant market.

How the business pays the worker. An employee is generally guaranteed
a regular wage amount for an hourly, weekly, or other period of time.
This usually indicates that a worker is an employee, even when the
wage or salary is supplemented by a commission. An independent
contractor is usually paid by a flat fee for the job. However, it is
common in some professions, such as law, to pay independent
contractors hourly.

The extent to which the worker can realize a profit or loss. An
independent contractor can make a profit or loss.

Type of relationship. Facts that show the parties' type of
relationship include:

Written contracts describing the relationship the parties intended to
create.
Whether the business provides the worker with employee-type benefits,
such as insurance, a pension plan, vacation pay, or sick pay.
The permanency of the relationship. If you engage a worker with the
expectation that the relationship will continue indefinitely, rather
than for a specific project or period, this is generally considered
evidence that your intent was to create an employer-employee
relationship.

The extent to which services performed by the worker are a key aspect
of the regular business of the company. If a worker provides services
that are a key aspect of your regular business activity, it is more
likely that you will have the right to direct and control his or her
activities. For example, if a law firm hires an attorney, it is likely
that it will present the attorney's work as its own and would have the
right to control or direct that work. This would indicate an
employer-employee relationship.

IRS help. If you want the IRS to determine whether a worker is an
employee, file Form SS-8, Determination of Employee Work Status for
Purposes of Federal Employment Taxes and Income Tax Withholding, with
the IRS.

Jeff

Dec 30, 2002, 11:17:31 AM12/30/02
On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 05:41:44 GMT, "Tom Hand" <troy...@earthling.net> wrote:

>|The statement that it is a freelance
>|position but not a work at home position seem incongruous for the position
>|of graphics designer, which could be performed nearly anywhere..

Sometimes words have different meaning in practice than they do by definition.
"Freelance" is apparently one of them.

Tom Hand

Dec 30, 2002, 12:31:35 PM12/30/02

"Jeff" <the_dudeATbongoboy.com> wrote in message

If you were a freelance newspaper reporter or photographer you would be
selling your stories to the highest bidder and you wouldn't be working set
hours or setting up shop at one particular newspaper. Most likely you would
be working out of a home office. From that ad it sounds like they are not
describing a freelancer but someone who would be a de facto employee without
any of the benefits. That's illegal under both state labor law and federal
tax law. The fact that they won't allow the person to work out of their
home is another slap in the face because the home office deduction is one of
the few benefits of being a freelancer. They are offering the worst of both
worlds.

Woodswun

Dec 30, 2002, 6:05:23 PM12/30/02
In article <k6PP9.5773$Xc...@nwrddc04.gnilink.net>, "Carol Ott" <cs...@csottdesign.com> wrote:
>You wouldn't want to live in Kingston, NY.....too bloody cold in the
>wintertime. ;-)

Kingston, NY is in Zone 5 - practically balmy!

Woods

Carol Ott

Dec 30, 2002, 6:40:14 PM12/30/02
It's actually a nice place -- I have family in Olean and Rochester.

Carol
www.csottdesign.com
www.csott.com
REMOVE 'NOSPAM' TO REPLY.

"Woodswun" <wood...@hotmail.1V05P41V1.com> wrote in message

Tor de Vries

Dec 30, 2002, 9:41:03 PM12/30/02
Carol Ott wrote on 12/29/02 10:31 PM:

> You wouldn't want to live in Kingston, NY.....too bloody cold in the
> wintertime. ;-)

Carol, you don't know what cold is if you think Kingston is too cold. It
may be colder than Kingston, Jamaica, but that's not saying much...

Fred Doyle

Dec 30, 2002, 11:12:14 PM12/30/02
Kingston, Ontario. Now that gets cold

--
Fred Doyle
http://www.leafpublishing.com
Broadband Web Entertainment

"Tor de Vries" <ne...@kortage.com> wrote in message

Just Me....

Jan 4, 2003, 1:55:46 PM1/4/03
It's a great place! I lived there for many many years ... It died a bit
when Big BLue closed up and left but it still is a nice small city of about
25,000. Even though it's about 90 miles north of NYC, most folks retain the
small-town friendliness

David Schwartz

Jan 11, 2003, 12:07:48 PM1/11/03
I lived in Kingston for a few months, working a temporary job for IBM in the
late 80s. I though Kingston was nice. I drove through Kingston a few years
ago and now that IBM has pulled up stakes and left town, it does look a lot
quieter there.

There is/was a store there that sells/sold a different things, notably
cameras, books, and records (music). The name of the store is/was
Cam-Bo-Rec. Cracks me up whenever I think of it.

But the number 1 reason why you might want to live in Kingston? You are
only 10 miles away from Saugerties, another great name. :-)

"Just Me...." <jus...@nospam.net> wrote in message

Shawangunk

Jan 11, 2003, 3:44:07 PM1/11/03
Kingston has more businesses, newer and wider roads today then when IBM was
open. IBM's closing was like giving birth to the community.

Welcome signs to Kingston state "Welcome to shop city" Within a half mile,
they have Super KMart, ShopRite, Filenes, SEARS, Home Depot, Office Depot,
Staples, LOWES, Wal-Mart, JC Penny, Sam's Club, Toys R US, Dick's Sporting
Goods, Target, Best Buy, Burlington Coat Factory Outlet, Hannaford's and
many more including a good amount of crafts stores, car dealers, pharmacies
and restaurants.

The abandoned IBM site is called "Tech City" and many businesses now utilize
the space.

Since IBM left, several bars closed and drug arrests are down 20%. Then
again, some of the lunch spots frequented by Attorneys to eat and buy some
cocaine have closed also.

llama mama

Jan 11, 2003, 8:57:23 PM1/11/03
"Shawangunk" <moun...@inny.com> wrote in

> Kingston has more businesses, newer and wider roads today then when
> IBM was open. IBM's closing was like giving birth to the community.
>
> Welcome signs to Kingston state "Welcome to shop city" Within a half
> mile, they have Super KMart, ShopRite, Filenes, SEARS, Home Depot,
> Office Depot, Staples, LOWES, Wal-Mart, JC Penny, Sam's Club, Toys R
> US, Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, Best Buy, Burlington Coat Factory
> Outlet, Hannaford's and many more including a good amount of crafts
> stores, car dealers, pharmacies and restaurants.

and you consider that a good thing? gah!
lee
--
The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst
lovely things. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)

Shawangunk

Jan 11, 2003, 9:49:13 PM1/11/03
Yes, I consider IBM closing up in Kingston a good thing.

llama mama

Jan 12, 2003, 11:24:59 AM1/12/03
"Shawangunk" <moun...@inny.com> wrote in news:JI4U9.38162$p_6.3260670
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> Yes, I consider IBM closing up in Kingston a good thing.

i meant, you consider it becoming strip mall heaven a good thing? lots of
low pay, part-time jobs, no benefits, high traffic... that's an
improvement?

Shawangunk

Jan 12, 2003, 2:48:48 PM1/12/03
When asked a general question, I answer my way :)

Are there alternatives to your concerns about lots of low pay, part-time
jobs and no benefits for the employees? As long as people are standing in
line for work, I don't think it'll change.

High traffic is not a big problem, maybe a few times a year. Thanks to front
and rear entrances/exits to the Mall area, newer and wider roads.

I drive 20 minutes to get there. Without it, for similar shopping I'd drive
further to Wappingers Falls, Fishkill or Newburgh... and then, the stores
are not within a 1/2 mile of each other like in Kingston.

The improvement is more choices shopping in a compact overall area, yielding
less time shopping, and less cost for fuel... has been noted for being an
energy compliant shopping district next to the Catskills. And not many
Malls have such fine views of the Catskills in this area.

And don't worry about them employees, they are within walking distance of
another job :)

rjc

Jan 14, 2003, 12:29:14 PM1/14/03

"Shawangunk" <moun...@inny.com> wrote in message
> [...]
Yeah, but what you fail to notice is the fact that wages have decreased for
residents in Ulster Co. and the possibility of getting a wage better than
the minimum has all but disappeared. Tech City for all the space it has, not
attracted enough tenants to re-vitalize the manufacturing that left with
IBM.

I speak from experience because I was one of the last ones to leave the IBM
Kingston plant when we moved to Poughkeepsie in 1995.

Sure we have lots of chain stores, supermarkets, and a few chain
restaurants, but none of them pay what I would consider a living wage for a
family. Try buying a decent home from the wages these places a pay in the
Kingston area. You can't do it.

Today in the Daily Freeman, Kingston's newspaper, there was a story about a
developer wanting to purchase the old Hutton Brick yard down on North Street
along the Hudson River. The plan is to build a couple of hundred condos and
a couple of hundred townhomes, as well as a restaurant and a few other
facilities. They are targeting New York City and Westchester Co. residents.
Granted some local folks can afford to buy into this development, but I
would bet that a majority won't be able to.

rjc

rjc

Jan 14, 2003, 12:36:19 PM1/14/03

> Yes, I consider IBM closing up in Kingston a good thing.

Do you really live in the Kingston area? I can't fathom that anyone who
lives in the Kingston area believes IBM's departure was a good thing!

The amount of taxes IBM paid alone is a big loss. Then there's the higher
wages IBM paid. Then there's all the folks who transferred to Poughkeepsie
with their jobs.

Talk to the little mom & pop stores, restaurants, etc. in the Town of Ulster
and tell me that they're not crying the blues because thousands of IBM'ers
are not doing business with them anymore.

The loss of IBM to the Kingston area was a big blow and it's one that we
have not recovered from yet and it's unlikely that we will in the near term.

rjc

Tom Hand

Jan 14, 2003, 4:50:56 PM1/14/03

"Shawangunk" <moun...@inny.com> wrote in message

You can scratch Super Kmart from that list.

"The 14 stores slated to be closed statewide are: Big Kmarts in Brooklyn,
Buffalo, Fresh Meadows, Geneva, Hamburg, Monroe, Oneonta, Painted Post,
Rochester, Stony Brook, Syosset, and Westbury; and Super Kmart stores in
Kingston and Middletown."

"The list also includes one of the company's 18 distribution centers. The
closings will cut approximately 37,000 jobs."

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2003/01/13/daily21.html?f=et49

drop GUN before emailing

Jan 14, 2003, 5:12:04 PM1/14/03
>Subject: Re: Kingston, NY - IBM
>From: "rjc" rjcl...@us.ibm.com

>The loss of IBM to the Kingston area was a big blow and it's one that we
>have not recovered from yet and it's unlikely that we will in the near term.

Anytime a good paying business is lost to MacJob type employers it IS a HELLUVA
loss.

Digger, AKA Grumps (old and crusty)
hometown.aol.com/jynndi/myhomepage/profile.html
All errors; spilling, grimatical, ore tieping intenshunal.

Shawangunk

Jan 14, 2003, 8:01:00 PM1/14/03
I'm tired hearing how Kingston is dead now that IBM closed. It's Bullshit.
Kingston is more alive today than it ever was.

Mom and Pop shops and others had an initial loss when IBM closed...but
they're still open, they adapted, Kingston adapted.

I'm not sure if IBM still owns the buildings, whoever does pays Taxes.

Those overpaid IBM jobs didn't help the average Joe buy a house in Rolling
Meadows, or some other IBM Housing Estate. Thanks to IBM's departure,
housing can't sell for the high numbers that only the Beamers could
afford... not the majority.

Locally, IBM stood for "Itsy Bitsy Morons"

drop GUN before emailing

Jan 14, 2003, 9:39:57 PM1/14/03
>From: "Shawangunk" moun...@inny.com

>Those overpaid IBM jobs didn't help the average Joe buy a house in Rolling
>Meadows, or some other IBM Housing Estate. Thanks to IBM's departure,
>housing can't sell for the high numbers that only the Beamers could afford...
not the majority.

Overpaid??? You must prefer McJobs at minpay....or else you didin't have the
skills to work for BIG BLUE.

>Locally, IBM stood for "Itsy Bitsy Morons"

I can believe that if the local yocals are like you.

rjc

Jan 15, 2003, 9:13:22 AM1/15/03

> I'm tired hearing how Kingston is dead now that IBM closed. It's Bullshit.
> Kingston is more alive today than it ever was.

I've lived in Kingston all my life. I went to No. 5 School (now Meagher), I
went to MJM, and graduated KHS in '71. Please understand that I'm not saying
Kingston is dead, but it is reeling from the economies of a major employer
leaving the area. The largest employer in Ulster County today is Uniprise
(used to be Met Life). The starting salary for a customer rep is $22K/ yr.
Can you live on that?

Take a drive down Elmendorf, Downs, and O'Neil Streets. I remember the nice
single family homes along those streets. Now, over half of them have evolved
into multi-family homes that are sorely neglected. I'm not saying this is a
result of IBM moving, but it is an indication that people can't afford to
buy those houses and use them as single family homes. This plague is slowly
spreading to other areas of the City as well.

> Mom and Pop shops and others had an initial loss when IBM closed...but
> they're still open, they adapted, Kingston adapted.

I'm sure every one of the small businesses in the area would have loved to
see IBM stay where it was! Some people lost their businesses because IBM'ers
were their customer base.

> I'm not sure if IBM still owns the buildings, whoever does pays Taxes.

IBM doesn't own the complex anymore. They sold it to a developer from
Westchester who is having trouble filling the place and according to today's
Daily Freeman, is behind over $5 million in taxes. The paper went on to say
that if he doesn't pay up by next month, Ulster County is going to start to
foreclose. An Ulster County Legislator was quoted that the best thing they
could do would be to raze the site and try to market the empty property.

> Those overpaid IBM jobs didn't help the average Joe buy a house in Rolling
> Meadows, or some other IBM Housing Estate. Thanks to IBM's departure,
> housing can't sell for the high numbers that only the Beamers could
> afford... not the majority.

You're right, IBM employees were the ones who bought homes in developments
like Rolling Meadows, Wittier, Barclay Heights, etc., but with the demise of
the pay checks that companies like IBM paid it's becoming impossible to buy
anything in the Kingston area outside of Henry and Franklin Streets.

The Freeman had a supplement today that talked about the Ulster County
Chamber of Commerce and the local economy. A recent study stated that a
single parent would have to earn $22.00/hr. just to provide the basics for
a family. What recent business addition to the Kingston area is paying wages
like that?

> Locally, IBM stood for "Itsy Bitsy Morons"

Yeah, very old joke. It also stood for I've Been Moved.

rjc

Shawangunk

Jan 15, 2003, 9:43:08 PM1/15/03
Skills??? What a joke.

Skills involved - #1 Team up with 3 or 4 other managers to cover your ass.
#2 Know how to tell jokes. #3 Know who you can contact for answers on how
to get your work done.

Wouldn't ya want to be a 'Fellow' too?

drop GUN before emailing

Jan 15, 2003, 10:01:51 PM1/15/03

>Skills involved - #1 Team up with 3 or 4 other managers to cover your ass.
>#2 Know how to tell jokes. #3 Know who you can contact for answers on how
>to get your work done.

You sound like a malcontent misfit who got fired or turned down by Big Blue...

I suspect turned down because you don't have a clue.

Shawangunk

Jan 15, 2003, 11:31:55 PM1/15/03
I have a clue you are too emotional about the company.

Can you say - I took the lump sum? without choking on a hair ball.

rjc

Jan 16, 2003, 1:02:17 PM1/16/03

> I have a clue you are too emotional about the company.
>
> Can you say - I took the lump sum? without choking on a hair ball.

Can we drop the IBM topic from this discussion? IBM left, the country's
economy is in the dumper, people all over the country are hurting, and
we're going to war. We'll survive.

Tell me what you like about the Kingston area?

I like the fact that the River is getting cleaner, I like that uptown is
seeing a bit of a resurgence, I like that people have finally figured out
how to drive on the roundabout, and I like that the Catskills are so close..

I don't like the decline I'm seeing in the traditional neighborhoods, I
don't like the price of housing, I don't like NYC metro area people coming
up and establishing 2nd homes and then complaining, and I don't like the
fact that a real plan for the Rondout area hasn't been developed.

rjc