While the serial number of CE 139---C2766---was the same as that of the weapon shipped by Klein's to A. Hidell,

cdddraftsman

Dec 28, 2007, 9:34:08 AM12/28/07
the FBI discovered that, due to the manufacturing techniques used by
Italy during World War II, this serial number was not necessarily
unique to only one such weapon. In fact, it is possible that as many
as 5 different rifles could have had the serial number C2766.The FBI
eventually traced another Carcano, serial number C2766, to Canada.

tl

Walt

Dec 28, 2007, 9:43:21 AM12/28/07

Didn't that pee sniffin doctor claim that he also had a Carcano with
the serial # C2766?

Brokedad

Dec 28, 2007, 10:37:55 AM12/28/07

The "wording" in Dr. Lattimer's book, as stated, indicates that his
test rifle bore the serial# C2766 as well.
Whether this is or is not true and factual has, to my knowledge, never
been fully explored and or clarified as to whether it is merely a
publishing error, or as being correct.

"In fact, it is possible that as many
as 5 different rifles could have had the serial number C2766."

The above statement, although not "incorrect", nevertheless does not
adequately serve to demonstrate the problem.

In fact, there could possibly be upwards of 20+ Carcano rifles which
would conceiveably bear the serial number C2766.

Walt

Dec 28, 2007, 6:06:02 PM12/28/07
On 28 Dec, 09:37, Brokedad <temptypock...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Dec 28, 8:43�am, Walt <papakochenb...@evertek.net> wrote:
>
> > On 28 Dec, 08:34, cdddraftsman <cdddrafts...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > the FBI discovered that, due to the manufacturing techniques used by
> > > Italy during World War II, this serial number was not necessarily
> > > unique to only one such weapon. In fact, it is possible that as many
> > > as 5 different rifles could have had the serial number C2766.The FBI
> > > eventually traced another Carcano, serial number C2766, to Canada.
>
> > > tl
>
> > Didn't that pee sniffin doctor claim that he also had a Carcano with
> > the serial # C2766?
>
> The "wording" in Dr. Lattimer's book, as stated, indicates that his
> test rifle bore the serial# C2766 as well.
> Whether this is or is not true and factual has, to my knowledge, never
> been fully explored and or clarified as to whether it is merely a
> publishing error, or as being correct.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----------------------------------------------------------

> "In fact, it is possible that as many
>  as 5 different rifles could have had the serial number C2766."
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­------------------------------------------------------------

> The above statement, although not "incorrect", nevertheless does not
> adequately serve to demonstrate the problem.
>
> In fact, there could possibly be upwards of 20+ Carcano rifles which
> would conceiveably bear the serial number C2766.

Here's the real problem for me..... I know the CIA bought hundreds of
Carcanos for the Cuban exiles. I'm sure they would have also bought
repair parts. How many barrels did the have? Since the serial
number is stamped on the barrel it would have been very easy to
produce as many rifles as they wanted with the serial number C2766
just by changing barrels on the rifles. They could easily have
learned that the rifle that had been shipped to Hidell at PO BOX 2915
in Dallas bore the serial number C2766. If they wanted his rifle to
be found at the scene of a crime all they had to do was leave one of
the rebarreled rifles at the scene.

Walt

So they had those rifles available.

cdddraftsman

Dec 28, 2007, 7:49:18 PM12/28/07
>    So they had those rifles available.- Hide quoted text -

Stocking up on assassination spare parts (like Gilstapo has in his
backyard ?) or
maybe getting ready to invade Cuba again sometime in the future ? Hard
to tell
unless you have a ready made answer formed in your head induced by a
over
active imagination .

tl

Message has been deleted

David Von Pein

Dec 28, 2007, 8:21:35 PM12/28/07

>>> "It is possible that as many as 5 different rifles could have had the serial number C2766." <<<

But not more than one MANNLICHER-CARCANO MODEL 91/38 rifle (Oswald's)
had Serial Number C2766 stamped on it. At least that's what the Warren
Commission discovered in 1964 (and stated that fact at least twice in
its Final Report).....

"Information received from the Italian Armed Forces Intelligence
Service has established that this particular rifle was the only rifle
of its type bearing serial number C2766. (See app. X, p. 554.)" -- WR;
Pg. 119

http://history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wr/html/WCReport_0072a.htm

"The number "C2766" is the serial number of the rifle, and the
rifle in question is the only one of its type bearing that serial
number." -- WR; Pg. 554

http://history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wr/html/WCReport_0289b.htm

Walt

Dec 29, 2007, 9:09:07 AM12/29/07

Hey Pea Brain.... Spare barrels for the Carcano had no serial number
stamped on them. It would be fairly easy to stamp C 2766 on a spare
barrel and put it on any carcano.....and presto ....A Mannlicher
Carcano with the same serial number that was sent to PO Box 2915
Dallas Texas.

Walt

Brokedad

Dec 30, 2007, 9:49:11 PM12/30/07
> Walt- Hide quoted text -

http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/carcano.htm

Fucile Corto

M38- manufactured by four companys: 7.35mm
Beretta;
Brescia;
Gardone Val Trompia;
R.E. Terni;
M38-manufactured by four companys: 6.5mm
Beretta;
Brescia;
Gardone Val Trompia;
R.E. Terni;
M38-8mm conversion done by Heinrich Krieghoff at plant 12
Receiver marked HK

There represents four potential/probable Model 91/38 Carcano Short
Rifles in the 6.5mm caliber, from the initial production of these
weapons.

Then, when one considers the production number of the 91/38's which
were produced in the 7.35mm caliber, of which literally thousands were
re-converted back to the 6.5mm caliber, then, without document
records, there is no means to determine exactly how many additional
"re-worked" rifles may have also received the C2766 number stamped
into the rifle barrel when the new 6.5mm barrel was installed in place
of the original 7.35mm.

Might I also recommend:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4781&hl=Rifle

P.S. I am also in possession of a Model 38 (1940 manufacture) 36-inch
Carcano Carbine with the "Beretta Gardone" factory stamp as well as
the serial number C5522, in the event that tells one anything about
the serial number of these weapons.*

*I might add that it is an "original" as the stock is also marked with
the "C5522" serial number.

Walt

Dec 31, 2007, 12:06:18 AM12/31/07
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­------------------------------------------------------------------

> There represents four potential/probable Model 91/38 Carcano Short
> Rifles in the 6.5mm caliber, from the initial production of these
> weapons.
>
> Then, when one considers the production number of the 91/38's which
> were produced in the 7.35mm caliber, of which literally thousands were
> re-converted back to the 6.5mm caliber, then, without document
> records, there is no means to determine exactly how many additional
> "re-worked" rifles may have also received the C2766 number stamped
> into the rifle barrel when the new 6.5mm barrel was installed in place
> of the original 7.35mm.
>
> Might I also recommend:
>
> http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4781&hl=Rifle
>
> P.S.  I am also in possession of a Model 38 (1940 manufacture) 36-inch
> Carcano Carbine with the "Beretta Gardone" factory stamp as well as
> the serial number C5522, in the event that tells one anything about
> the serial number of these weapons.*
>
> *I might add that it is an "original" as the stock is also marked with
> the "C5522" serial number.

Here's another conumdrum.....Dick Hobbs on page 36 of his book "The
carcano" says that he owns a Model 38 Carcano, Guardie Del Duce rifle
in 6.5 caliber. He says his rifle is only 20 numbers from the rifle
that was found in the TSBD. That would indicate that Hobb's rifle is
either C 2746 or C 2786. Hobbs says that Mussolini's personal body
guards, the Guardie Del Duce, were equipped with special all black
uniforms, with shiny black helmets, boots, belts, and
rifles...everything black. ( He's right I've seen many photos of the
Guardie Del Duce in their black uniforms) Hobbs says the wood on his
rifle is stained black and it is the prototype stock with a single
barrel band. There is a full page colored photo of the TSBD rifle on
page 69 of the November 1983 issue of LIFE. That colored photo reveals
that the wood on that rifle is BLACK, but the stock is NOT the
prototype stock. It seems strange to me that the colored photos of the
rifle that the FBI published shows a conventional BROWN colored
stock. And it's hard to imagine that there is only 20 rifles between
Dick Hobb's eifle and the TSBD rifle and yet they have different
stocks.

I'm fairly sure that the TSBD rifle was one of the very rare BLACK
Guardie Del Duce rifles.....and if that's true it is NOT the rifle
that was sent by Klein Sporting Goods to PO Box 2915, Dallas Tx.

I've got a hunch that the TSBD rifle was a war trophy rifle, and the
person who brought it back didn't realize that it was a very unique
rifle. I suspect that General Edwin Walker brought that rifle back
from Italy after WWII.

Walt