Do we have (yet) an actionable list of all free Windows & Linux web browsers (and their main purpose)?

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 12:29:55 PM12/31/19
Do we have (yet) an actionable list of all free Windows/Linux web browsers
(& their main purpose & where to get the full offline installer)?
o If yes, then where is that single-page listing?

If no, then we can try to compile that list starting here from suggestions.
a. We should likely list the browser & its claim to fame (one line)
b. And if possible, the location of the full offline network installer

NOTE: My listing below comes from my Windows "readme" in my software
hierarchy, and as such it lacks the specific Linux locations needed!

Nonetheless, as a starting point, here's what I have so far...
(Please improve with more browsers & better links to Linux/Windows full
offline installer files!)

*Chromium based full offline network installers* (Windows/Linux)
o Chrome <https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1>
o Chromium <http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium>
o Epic <https://cdn.epicbrowser.com/epicsetup.exe>
o Iron <https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php>
o Opera <https://www.opera.com/computer>
o ?what else?

*Mozilla based full offline network installers** (Windows/Linux)
o Firefox <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>
o IceDragon <https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
o PaleMoon <https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml>
o SeaMonkey <https://www.seamonkey-project.org/>
o TBB <https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en>
o WaterFox <https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/waterfox/new/>
o ?what else?

*Microsoft based full offline network installers* (only Windows)
o Edge <https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=MH14YU>
o Internet Explorer ???
o ?what else?

* Independent full offline network installers* (most are Windows)
o Brave ??? <https://brave.com/download/>
o FreeGate ??? <http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
o Polarity ??? <https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
o UltraSurf ??? <http://www.ultrasurf.us>
o ?what else?

Note: I use one browser per one purpose, for security & setup reasons,
which is why I have these browsers installed.
o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/55Yx7RtTzEI/cD55MlgjAQAJ>

*What Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

--
Together the Usenet public potluck can accomplish much more than we alone!

Big Al

Dec 31, 2019, 12:37:12 PM12/31/19
On 12/31/19 12:29 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> *Mozilla based full offline network installers** (Windows/Linux)
> o Firefox<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>
> o IceDragon<https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
> o PaleMoon<https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml>
> o SeaMonkey<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/>
> o TBB<https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en>
> o WaterFox<https://www.waterfoxproject.org/en-US/waterfox/new/>
> o ?what else?

Pale moon link has no Linux in there.
Maybe source code if you want to call that Linux.

Mike Easter

Dec 31, 2019, 12:44:37 PM12/31/19
Big Al wrote:
> Arlen Holder wrote:
>> *Mozilla based full offline network installers** (Windows/Linux)

>> o PaleMoon<https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml>

> Pale moon link has no Linux in there.
> Maybe source code if you want to call that Linux.

c&p follows link:

http://linux.palemoon.org/

// It is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. Pale Moon for
Linux is distributed as a bzipped tarball (link) that can be extracted
and run from any location on your system. If however you prefer to
"install" it on your system, you can find instructions to do so here (link).

Additionally, you can install one of these fully-endorsed third-party
builds of Pale Moon for Linux:

Pale Moon repositories for Debian and Ubuntu -- maintained by Steve
Pusser
Pale Moon SlackBuild packages -- maintained by khronosschoty
Pale Moon COPR repository for Fedora and CentOS -- maintained by
bgstack15

Pale Moon can also be installed directly from the default repositories
of the following distros:

Manjaro
PCLinuxOS
Puppy Linux
MEPIS/MX-15
Gentoo Overlays
Slackbuilds
TinyCore Linux
//

--
Mike Easter

J.O. Aho

Dec 31, 2019, 1:38:13 PM12/31/19
On 31/12/2019 18.29, Arlen Holder wrote:

> *Microsoft based full offline network installers* (only Windows)
> o Edge <https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=MH14YU>

- MSIE Edge beta, Chromium based
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download

also it's multi platform:
https://mspoweruser.com/edge-for-linux

> * Independent full offline network installers* (most are Windows)
> o Brave ??? <https://brave.com/download/>

Chromium based and has Linux binaries.

> o FreeGate ??? <http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
> o Polarity ??? <https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
> o UltraSurf ??? <http://www.ultrasurf.us>
> o ?what else?
>
> Note: I use one browser per one purpose, for security & setup reasons,
> which is why I have these browsers installed.
> o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/55Yx7RtTzEI/cD55MlgjAQAJ>
>
> *What Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

dillo, epiphany, falkon, midori, netsurf, otter, qutebrowser, vivaldi,
lynx, elinks, links...

--

//Aho

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 4:13:28 PM12/31/19
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 19:25:22 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

> Mike Easter <MI...@Ster.invalid>:
>
>>> Pale moon link has no Linux in there.
>>> Maybe source code if you want to call that Linux.
>
>> http://linux.palemoon.org/
>
>> // It is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. Pale Moon for
>> Linux is distributed as a bzipped tarball (link) that can be extracted
>> and run from any location on your system.
>
> Yep. I extracted it to /opt.
> (Linux Mint and MX Linux).
>
> Yrrah

Those were great actionable updates by Big Al, Mike Easter, & Yrrah!

I updated the list so that it's _actionable_ by more users based on that!
o I ask all users who read this to fix errors or omissions so all benefit.

*Chromium based full offline network installers*
o Brave (Main claim: Tab'able TOR?)(+ tricks for offline installer)
<https://brave.com/download/>
Platforms: Windows, Android, & iOS
o Chrome (Main claim: Speed?)
<https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, & src
o Chromium (Main claim: Portability?)
<http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & src
o Epic (Main claim: Proxy privacy)
<https://epicbrowser.com/thank_you.php> (+ tricks for offline installer)
Platforms: Windows, & Mac
o Iron (Main claim: No data collection)
<https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android
o Opera (Main claim: Proxy privacy)(+ tricks for offline installer)
<https://www.opera.com/computer>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & iOS
o ?what else?

*Mozilla based full offline network installers** (Windows/Linux)
o Firefox (Main claim: General purpose?)
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, & src
o IceDragon (Main claim: Speed of FF Compatibility?)
<https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
Platforms: Windows (32 bit only) (not Linux, Mac, Android or iOS)
o PaleMoon (Main claim: No data collection?)
<https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml>
<http://linux.palemoon.org/>
Platforms: Windows, & Linux, & src (not Mac, Android, or iOS)
o SeaMonkey (Main claim: All-in-One functionality?)
<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.49.5>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & src (not Android or iOS)
o TBB (Main claim: Anonymity)
<https://www.torproject.org/download/languages/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & src (not iOS)
o WaterFox (Main claim: No data collection)
<https://www.waterfox.net/releases/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android (not iOS)
o ?what else?

*Microsoft full offline network installers* (only Windows)
o Edge (Main claim: ???)
<https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=MH14YU>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o Internet Explorer (Main claim: ???)
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o ?what else?

* Independent full offline network installers* (most are Windows)
o FreeGate (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
<http://us.dongtaiwang.com/loc/download.en.php>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o Polarity (Main claim: Efficiency due to Trident/Chromium)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o UltraSurf (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o ?what else?

Melzzzzz

Dec 31, 2019, 4:21:43 PM12/31/19
On 2019-12-31, Arlen Holder <arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

>>> http://linux.palemoon.org/
>>
>>> // It is not necessary to install Pale Moon to use it. Pale Moon for
>>> Linux is distributed as a bzipped tarball (link) that can be extracted
>>> and run from any location on your system.
>>
>> Yep. I extracted it to /opt.
>> (Linux Mint and MX Linux).
>>
>> Yrrah
>
> Those were great actionable updates by Big Al, Mike Easter, & Yrrah!
>
> I updated the list so that it's _actionable_ by more users based on that!
> o I ask all users who read this to fix errors or omissions so all benefit.
>
> *Chromium based full offline network installers*
> o Brave (Main claim: Tab'able TOR?)(+ tricks for offline installer)
> <https://brave.com/download/>
> Platforms: Windows, Android, & iOS

Work on Linux as well. It is chrome + JS.
Ad blocker incorporated.

Soviet_Mario

Dec 31, 2019, 4:30:52 PM12/31/19
On 31/12/2019 18:29, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Do we have (yet) an actionable list of all free Windows/Linux web browsers
> (& their main purpose & where to get the full offline installer)?
> o If yes, then where is that single-page listing?
>
> If no, then we can try to compile that list starting here from suggestions.
> a. We should likely list the browser & its claim to fame (one line)
> b. And if possible, the location of the full offline network installer
>
> NOTE: My listing below comes from my Windows "readme" in my software
> hierarchy, and as such it lacks the specific Linux locations needed!
>
> Nonetheless, as a starting point, here's what I have so far...
> (Please improve with more browsers & better links to Linux/Windows full
> offline installer files!)
>
> *Chromium based full offline network installers* (Windows/Linux)
> o Chrome <https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1>
> o Chromium <http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium>
> o Epic <https://cdn.epicbrowser.com/epicsetup.exe>
> o Iron <https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php>
> o Opera <https://www.opera.com/computer>
> o ?what else?

once I tried Iridium but It complained it was unable to
launch some "sandboxing" service (maybe tipical of Gnome,
and I was using it in XFCE). Later I gave up, so I can't
recall it precisely

> *Mozilla based full offline network installers** (Windows/Linux)
> o Firefox <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>
> o IceDragon <https://icedragon.comodo.com/>

I use IceWeasel. But it seem almost identical to firefox ESR
(just like WaterFox)
the problem with most is that plugins developers seem to
become diserting most niche browser :(
And niche browser developers seem not to be trying to pickup
main branches plugins :(

I tend to use a lot of extentions, and with SeaMonkey and
PaleMoon I really strive to get even the strictest minimal
extentions

PaleMoon has a feature I'm not findint elsewhere crucial for
retro-compatibility : it is the only non-IE browser (well,
maybe also Opera is) able to load offline saved .MHT
compressed archives. I've really loved a lot such compact
format with the whole page structure zipped in a single archive.

Also .MAFF (mozilla archive file) seems to be left fade
away, and it's a pity ! It was very practical too.

CUT microsoft stuff

> * Independent full offline network installers* (most are Windows)
> o Brave ??? <https://brave.com/download/>
> o FreeGate ??? <http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
> o Polarity ??? <https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
> o UltraSurf ??? <http://www.ultrasurf.us>
> o ?what else?

I've tried also Midori : stable under MX 18.3, absolutely
unreliable under Debian stretch, crashes for no reason at
all, even scrolling a page.

Tried also VIVALDI (a good impression, but I'm not using it
a lot, I have too few plugins and loginst stored there)

Lately I tend to use EPIPHANY browser under Debian when I
have to do fast essential navigation while using other SW
and keeping memory lower (FF and others are hugely hungry)

I don't remember if it is the Gnome browser, but it is
lightweight and damn fast to load, and not unstable as Midori.

I need very tunable features (or different SW) as I have
different patterns of web usage.

Mostly I use web per se in "advanced modes", so a full
fledged browser, enriched

Other times I work with eclipse or QT, and just have to
browse some reference on web (no social, no bank account, no
video, etc) : so then I need a skinny browser doing just the
essential with a limited number of opened tabs.

> Note: I use one browser per one purpose, for security & setup reasons,
> which is why I have these browsers installed.

Me too I tend to use task-fit browsers

> o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/55Yx7RtTzEI/cD55MlgjAQAJ>
>
> *What Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

--
1) Resistere, resistere, resistere.
2) Se tutti pagano le tasse, le tasse le pagano tutti

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 4:41:42 PM12/31/19
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:39:39 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

> (didn't see the original posting)

Thanks to Big Al, Mike Easter, Yrrah, & J.O. Aho...

I updated the _actionable_ Linux/Windows free browser listing.
o I ask users to continue to fix errors & omissions so all benefit!

We probably need to keep it to the "main" browsers out there
(since there are too many otherwise)

*Chromium based* full offline network installers
o *Brave* (Main claim: Tab'able TOR?)(+ tricks for offline installer)
<https://brave.com/download/>
<https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html#linux>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Android, & iOS
o *Chrome* (Main claim: Speed?)
<https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, & src
o *Chromium* (Main claim: Portability?)
<http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & src
o *Epic* (Main claim: Proxy privacy)
<https://epicbrowser.com/thank_you.php> (+ tricks for offline installer)
Platforms: Windows, & Mac
o *Iron* (Main claim: No data collection)
<https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android
o *Opera* (Main claim: Proxy privacy)(+ tricks for offline installer)
<https://www.opera.com/computer>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & iOS
o Vivaldi* (Main claim: Flexibility & control)
<https://vivaldi.com/download/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android (not iOS)
o ?what else?

*Mozilla based* full offline network installers
o *Firefox* (Main claim: General purpose?)
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, & src
o *IceDragon* (Main claim: Speed of FF Compatibility?)
<https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
Platforms: Windows (32 bit only) (not Linux, Mac, Android or iOS)
o *PaleMoon* (Main claim: No data collection?)
<https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml>
<http://linux.palemoon.org/>
Platforms: Windows, & Linux, & src (not Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *SeaMonkey* (Main claim: All-in-One functionality?)
<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.49.5>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & src (not Android or iOS)
o *Tor Browser Bundle* (Main claim: Anonymity)
<https://www.torproject.org/download/languages/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & src (not iOS)
o *WaterFox* (Main claim: No data collection)
<https://www.waterfox.net/releases/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android (not iOS)
o ?what else?

*Microsoft based* full offline network installers
o *Edge* (Main claim: ???)
<https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=MH14YU>
<https://mspoweruser.com/edge-for-linux/>
<https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download>
Platforms: Windows, Linux & Mac(not Android, or iOS)
o *Internet Explorer* (Main claim: ???)
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o ?what else?

*Independent* full offline network installers
o *FreeGate* (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
<http://us.dongtaiwang.com/loc/download.en.php>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *Polarity* (Main claim: Efficiency due to Trident/Chromium)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o *UltraSurf* (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o ?what else?

*Lightweight browsers* full offline network installers
o Arora
o Dilio
o ELinks
o Falkon
o K-Meleon
o Links
o Lynks
o Midori
o NetSurf
o Otter
o QtWeb
o Qutebrowser
o rekong
o surf
o uzbi
o w3m
o WebPositive
o xombrero

See also... (but these URLs may not have the full offline installer links!)

o *Comparison of web browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers>

o *List of web browsers for Unix and Unix-like operating systems*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers_for_Unix_and_Unix-like_operating_systems>

o *Lightweight browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_browsers>

Unfortunately, there are too many for me to fully categorize, so I'll just
stick with the main ones that are useful to most people, for now at least.

*What MAIN Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 4:41:43 PM12/31/19
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:13:25 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> I'd certainly _love_ to have that list on all the platforms I use!

I found some lists of lists, but whether or not they have the full offline
installer linked to, is not yet known by me...

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 4:49:38 PM12/31/19
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 21:21:39 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:

>> *Chromium based full offline network installers*
>> o Brave (Main claim: Tab'able TOR?)(+ tricks for offline installer)
>> <https://brave.com/download/>
>> Platforms: Windows, Android, & iOS
>
> Work on Linux as well. It is chrome + JS.
> Ad blocker incorporated.

Thanks to the others and Melzzzzz for fixing that *Brave* is Chromium
based, and that Brave works fine on Linux, where, on Windows, you have to
know the "trick" to get it to install were you want it to install (it's
probably easier on Linux).

o Tutorial: How to install the free Brave privacy-based tor-enabled web
browser where YOU want it to install (and how to save a full offline
installer in the process)
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/bog50yqc_As/igWDXCO4AwAJ>

Note that Epic & Opera have almost the same trick to obtain the full
offline installer (for your yearly December 31st software archives) and
also almost the same trick to get it to install where it belongs (i.e.,
where _you_ want it to be located when you install it).

Paul Raymond

Dec 31, 2019, 4:56:15 PM12/31/19
On 31/12/2019 21:41, Arlen Holder wrote:

> I updated the _actionable_ Linux/Windows free browser listing.
> o I ask users to continue to fix errors & omissions so all benefit!

Can we now deal with your porn sites. Please post an updated list here
so that people can " fix errors & omissions so all benefit ".

Thank you for your dedicated effort in producing a comprehensive list of
open source free porn sites.

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 5:09:48 PM12/31/19
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 22:30:48 +0100, Soviet_Mario wrote:

> I use IceWeasel. But it seem almost identical to firefox ESR
> (just like WaterFox)

Given that there are too many "niche browsers" to keep track of in order to
find the full offline installers for our annual December 31st archives,
I'll add IceWeasel since it's "big enough" to be on the list, I think.

[...]

o *IceDragon* (Main claim: Speed with FF Compatibility)
<https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
Platforms: Windows (32 bit only) (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *IceWeasel* (Main claim: Debranded Firefox)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/iw4win/>
<https://pkgs.org/download/iceweasel>
Platforms: Windows, Linux (not Mac, Android, or iOS)
[...]

o Arora <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arora_(web_browser)>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o Dilio <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dillo>
Platforms: Cygwin, Linux, Mac
o ELinks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELinks>
Platforms: Linux, Mac
o Falkon <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkon>
Platforms: Windows, Linux
o K-Meleon <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-Meleon>
Platforms: Windows
o Links <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Links_(web_browser)>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o Lynks <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_(web_browser)>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o Midori <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midori_(web_browser)>
Platforms: Linux, Mac
o NetSurf <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetSurf>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o Otter <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otter_Browser>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o QtWeb <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QtWeb>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o Qutebrowser <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qutebrowser>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac
o rekong <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rekonq>
Platforms: Linux
o surf <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_(web_browser)>
Platforms: Linux
o uzbl <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbl>
Platforms: ?
o w3m <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W3m>
Platforms: Cygwin, Linux, Mac
o xombrero <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xombrero>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac

See also... (but these URLs may not have the full offline installer links!)

o *Comparison of web browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers>

o *List of web browsers for Unix and Unix-like operating systems*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers_for_Unix_and_Unix-like_operating_systems>

o *Lightweight browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_browsers>

Unfortunately, there are too many for me to fully categorize, so I'll just
stick with the main ones that are useful to most people, for now at least.

*What MAIN Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 6:20:34 PM12/31/19
For our annual December 31st software archives, here's the list (so far) of
full offline installers for the "main" freeware Windows/Linux web browsers.
(As always, please update so all benefit from this _actionable_ listing!)

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brave.browser>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brave-private-web-browser/id1052879175>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, & src
o *Chromium* (Main claim: Portability?)
<http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & src (not Android or iOS)
o *Epic* (Main claim: Proxy privacy)
<https://epicbrowser.com/thank_you.php> (+ tricks for offline installer)
Platforms: Windows, & Mac
o *Iron* (Main claim: No data collection)
<https://www.srware.net/iron/>
<https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.iron.srware>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android (no iOS)
o *Opera* (Main claim: Proxy privacy)(+ tricks for offline installer)
<https://www.opera.com/computer>
<https://www.srware.net/iron/>
<https://apps.apple.com/app/id1411869974>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android (no proxy privacy on iOS)
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vivaldi.browser>

<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mozilla.firefox>
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/firefox-private-safe-browser/id989804926>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS, & src
o *IceDragon* (Main claim: Speed with FF Compatibility)
<https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
Platforms: Windows (32 bit only) (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *IceWeasel* (Main claim: Debranded Firefox)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/iw4win/>
<https://pkgs.org/download/iceweasel>
Platforms: Windows, Linux (not Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *PaleMoon* (Main claim: No data collection?)
<https://www.palemoon.org/download.shtml>
<http://linux.palemoon.org/>
Platforms: Windows, & Linux, & src (not Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *SeaMonkey* (Main claim: All-in-One functionality?)
<https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.49.5>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & src (not Android or iOS)
o *Tor Browser Bundle* (Main claim: Anonymity)
<https://www.torproject.org/download/languages/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.torproject.torbrowser>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & src (no TBB privacy on iOS)
o *WaterFox* (Main claim: No data collection)
<https://www.waterfox.net/releases/>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, & Android (not iOS)
o ?what else?

*Microsoft based* full offline network installers
o *Edge* (Main claim: ???)
<https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=MH14YU>
<https://mspoweruser.com/edge-for-linux/>
<https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download>
Platforms: Windows, Linux & Mac (not Android, or iOS)
o *Internet Explorer* (Main claim: ???)
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o ?what else?

*Apple based* full offline network installers
o *Safari* (Main claim: ???)
<https://support.apple.com/downloads/safari>
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.torproject.torbrowser>
Platforms: Windows (outdated), Mac & iOS (not Linux, or Android)

<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/polaritybrowser.apk>
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/u.apk>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o ?what else?

*Lightweight browsers* (simple listing)
[...]

o *Usage share of web browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers>
o *List of web browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers>
o *Comparison of web browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers>
o *List of web browsers for Unix and Unix-like operating systems*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers_for_Unix_and_Unix-like_operating_systems>
o *Lightweight browsers*
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_browsers>

Unfortunately, there are too many for me to fully categorize, so I'll just
stick with the main ones that are useful to most people, for now at least.

*What MAIN Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 6:33:22 PM12/31/19
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 23:01:19 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

For our annual December 31st software archives, here's the latest update to
the main list (so far) of the "most important" full offline installers
(which, to my knowledge, are _not_ listed anywhere else...)

(We all wish the full offline installers were easier to find.)

(As always, please update so all benefit from this _actionable_ listing!)
*What MAIN Win/Linux browsers full offline installers have we missed?*

[...]

J.O. Aho

Dec 31, 2019, 6:43:34 PM12/31/19
On 31/12/2019 22.41, Arlen Holder wrote:

> o *Internet Explorer* (Main claim: ???)
> <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer>
> Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)

MSIE 5: Solaris and HP-UX versions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_UNIX

Rene Lamontagne

Dec 31, 2019, 7:13:20 PM12/31/19
The *idiot* arlen must have struck again.

Rene

Melzzzzz

Dec 31, 2019, 8:30:45 PM12/31/19
On 2019-12-31, Arlen Holder <arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:
Well, any browser can be redirected through TOR. Even Brave as it uses
system proxy. Let it be any that can forward to socks proxy. Done.

U ničemu ja ne uživam kao u svom statusu INVALIDA -- Zli Zec
Svi smo svedoci - oko 3 godine intenzivne propagande je dovoljno da jedan narod poludi -- Zli Zec
Na divljem zapadu i nije bilo tako puno nasilja, upravo zato jer su svi
bili naoruzani. -- Mladen Gogala

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 8:33:35 PM12/31/19
On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 00:43:30 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

> MSIE 5: Solaris and HP-UX versions.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_UNIX

This is good Usenet teamwork, where it's amazing how many of the key
browsers work on both Windows & Linux, even down to Microsoft browsers!

Here's the latest actionable update taking into account EVERY SUGGESTION!
*What MAIN Win/Linux browsers full offline installers have we missed?*

6 *Chromium based* full offline network installers
[...]

7 *Mozilla based* full offline network installers
[...]

2 *Microsoft based* full offline network installers
Platforms: Windows, Linux & Mac (not Android, or iOS)
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_UNIX>
Platforms: Windows & Linux (not Mac, Android, or iOS)
o ?what else?

1 *Apple based* full offline network installer
o *Safari* (Main claim: ???)
<https://support.apple.com/downloads/safari>
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204416>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.torproject.torbrowser>
Platforms: Windows (outdated), Mac & iOS (not Linux, or Android)

3 *Independent* privacy-based full offline network installers
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *Polarity* (Main claim: Efficiency due to Trident/Chromium)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/polaritybrowser.apk>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o *UltraSurf* (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/>
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/u.apk>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o ?what else?

16 *Lightweight browsers* (simple listing)
See also... (but these URLs may not have the full offline installer links!)
[The goal is a list of links to the full offline installers for each.]
*What MAIN Win/Linux browsers full offline installers have we missed?*

Snit

Dec 31, 2019, 8:53:24 PM12/31/19
https://www.palemoon.org
https://www.netsurf-browser.org

I am sure there are more.

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Arlen Holder

Dec 31, 2019, 10:51:39 PM12/31/19
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 01:30:41 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:

> Well, any browser can be redirected through TOR. Even Brave as it uses
> system proxy. Let it be any that can forward to socks proxy. Done.

Hi Melzzzzz,

I understand your point of view, and don't disagree.

We've all tried setting up Privoxy with Tor, and I've even written
tutorials on it so long ago that I've forgotten how much work it was to set
up and get work, once they built the general purpose tor browser bundle.
o Polipo
o Socks5
o Privoxy
o Tor
etc.

In a way, it's kind of like "procmail" was, before Google and their
wonderful spam filtering - in that it's just not worth the effort anymore
(IMHO).

Once they created the TBB and Brave, there was less need to 'build your
own' since it's so _easy_ to just use the Firefox-based Tor Browser Bundle.
o *How does the Brave Browser "-tor" option work differently than the Tor Browser Bundle?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/h3jqSBKawGU/gJxWmZSiAwAJ>

Yet, you're 100% correct that you can "add Tor" to anything; and, even on
iOS it "can" be done, where iOS is generally the last platform to have
privacy-based solutions.

Yet, even in the case of iOS, Mike Tegas kind of sort of got tor to work:
o <https://mike.tig.as>
o <https://www.patreon.com/OnionBrowser>
o <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/onion-browser/id519296448>

But, nothing replaces the "official Tor Browser Bundle" for eyes on code: (IMHO)
Windows: <https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/9.0.2/torbrowser-install-win64-9.0.2_en-US.exe>
Linux: <https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/9.0.2/tor-browser-linux64-9.0.2_en-US.tar.xz>
Mac: <https://www.torproject.org/dist/torbrowser/9.0.2/TorBrowser-9.0.2-osx64_en-US.dmg>
Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.torproject.torbrowser>
iOS: Does not exist (Mike Tegas, a journalist, did the best he could though.)

One advantage though, of "Brave", is that you can make _one_ tab a "Tor
Tab", which allows you to use the same browser for Tor and for non-Tor
activities, where Brave is the _only_ browser that I know of that allows
you to turn Tor on and off on a "per tab" basis (AFAIK).

Same thing with proxies, where, Lord knows, we went crazy once trying to
find all the web-based per-tab proxies out there on the Internet.
o *What free unlimited bandwidth proxy-based browsers exist for Ubuntu Linux?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/I78Sg-TQIUo/-mO1ddQVBAAJ>

Nowadays, IMHO, even on iOS, there's just no need for "building your own",
given that the following "tor-or-proxy-based" browsers readily exist:
o Tor Browser Bundle (all-tab tor)
o Brave Tor-Tab Browser (selective-tab tor)
o Opera VPN Browser (they call it a "vpn" but it's really an all-tab proxy)
o Epic Privacy Browser (it's really not VPN but more of an all-tab proxy)
o Aloha Privacy Browser (this seems to actually be a VPN for all ports!)

NOTE: IMHO, the Epic & Opera "VPN" is really a proxy for port 80/8080; but
the Aloha VPN appears to be really a VPN (i.e., it handles all ports, I
think).

*Aloha* VPN-based privacy Browser <https://alohabrowser.com>
o Windows (I don't think a native Aloha version exists)
o Linux (I don't think a native Aloha version exists)
o Mac (I don't think a native Aloha version exists)
o Android <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alohamobile.browser>
<https://i.postimg.cc/8cdTSVMn/browser01.jpg>
o iOS <https://apps.apple.com/US/app/id1105317682?mt=8>

What's interesting is that on the iOS mobile device, the Aloha "browser"
appears to be an all-port VPN (AFAICT) but that type of browser-induced
all-port-VPN functionality doesn't seem to exist on the desktop.

(Of course, there are _plenty_ of all-port VPN solutions for the desktop -
but it's interesting that the "browser" sets up the all-port VPN with Aloha
on iOS (but not Android) - is it not?)

I don't know _how_ the iOS Aloha "browser" sets up an "all-port" VPN, but
it seems to do exactly that on the mobile operating systems (at least on
iOS it seems to do that) but not on the desktop operating systems.

Example on Android of a "normal" type of "all-port" VPN:
<https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.calyxinstitute.vpn/>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nextvpn>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alohamobile.vpn>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.potatovpn.free.proxy.wifi>
etc.

But on iOS, a strange thing "seems" to happen, in that the "browser" sets
up an all-port VPN (somehow), which I can check with Safari, for example,
using the http://whatismyipaddress.com web site to test the IP address.

Example on iOS of a "normal" type of all-port VPN:
<https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aloha-vpn-turbo-master-proxy/id1455494920>
<https://apps.apple.com/il/app/potatovpn-fast-wifi-proxy/id1473774730>
<https://apps.apple.com/at/app/turbo-vpn-private-browser/id1365309175>
etc.

While those are "normal" all-port VPNs, apparently when I run this
"browser", and then I turn on the VPN, it too becomes an "all-port" VPN
(which I can check by using any other browser to check the IP address).
<https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/aloha-browser-with-private-vpn/id1105317682>

How on earth does the "browser" on iOS set up an "all port" VPN anyway?

Melzzzzz

Dec 31, 2019, 11:04:48 PM12/31/19
On 2020-01-01, Arlen Holder <arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> One advantage though, of "Brave", is that you can make _one_ tab a "Tor
> Tab", which allows you to use the same browser for Tor and for non-Tor
> activities, where Brave is the _only_ browser that I know of that allows
> you to turn Tor on and off on a "per tab" basis (AFAIK).

As I see it has option to start private window with tor. Can't find
option to open tab with tor.

> NOTE: IMHO, the Epic & Opera "VPN" is really a proxy for port 80/8080; but
> the Aloha VPN appears to be really a VPN (i.e., it handles all ports, I
> think).
>

> What's interesting is that on the iOS mobile device, the Aloha "browser"
> appears to be an all-port VPN (AFAICT) but that type of browser-induced
> all-port-VPN functionality doesn't seem to exist on the desktop.

What's wrong with just using anonimous proxy? VPN has no real advantage
to that,,,

Arlen Holder

Jan 1, 2020, 2:47:41 AM1/1/20
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 04:04:44 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:

> One advantage though, of "Brave", is that you can make _one_ tab a "Tor
>> Tab", which allows you to use the same browser for Tor and for non-Tor
>> activities, where Brave is the _only_ browser that I know of that allows
>> you to turn Tor on and off on a "per tab" basis (AFAIK).
>
> As I see it has option to start private window with tor. Can't find
> option to open tab with tor.

Ah. I may have misspoke. I actually don't even like Brave. So I don't use
it. As I recall, when I last tested Brave, I _thought_ it was a "tab" that
was Tor'd; but it could be (and probably is, since you said so), a window.

My mistake.
(I hated Brave, personally, but others might find it useful.)

>> What's interesting is that on the iOS mobile device, the Aloha "browser"
>> appears to be an all-port VPN (AFAICT) but that type of browser-induced
>> all-port-VPN functionality doesn't seem to exist on the desktop.
>
> What's wrong with just using anonimous proxy?
> VPN has no real advantage to that,,,

Hehheh... you really don't wanna go there. :)
Ask Mike Easter. We've been down that route. It's a loooooong road.

Filled with mismatches.

Just skim this long sordid thread, for an example of the philosophical
versus pragmatic problem set determination - just to get an idea of the
mismatch between philosophy and pragmatism.
o How to get up & running on a free public vpn service in minutes on Android or iOS
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/Bv8bwG4ggnc/MgPhvvgHEgAJ>

As I recall, that thread spilled over into alt.os.linux, where the key
question about proxies is how to _easily_ make them work for all ports
(e.g., for Usenet).

BTW, when you say "proxies", you likely mean one of two different things,
where I am not sure at any given moment which is it that you mean.
1. Browser proxies (e.g., proxy web services)
2. All-port proxies (e.g., privoxy)

They both are just fine, philosophically - which is where I agree with you
100% (and with Mike Easter who brought this up loooooong ago). I could dig
up the thread, but the main point here isn't philosophy - 'cuz
philosophically you're 100% right (and I agree with you).

It's the pragmatics that make VPN oh so much better than proxies.
1. Browser proxies only work for one tab (which sucks, pragmatically).
(Sure, Opera/Epic browser proxies work for all tabs.)

2. System wide proxies are a PITA for most people to set up
(Compared to system-wide VPNs, anyway).

It's a looooooooooong story though. So that's just a quick summary of why
proxies are philosophically great - but pragmatically - they suck (IMHO)
compared to system wide VPNs.

On the other hand, system wide VPN sucks, philosophically, if all we want
is to change the IP address and a bit of encryption; but pragmatically,
system-wide VPNs are so easy as to be so simple that anyone can use them.

Anyway, what's weird is Aloha on iOS:
a. Running the Aloha browser on Android does not seem to be set a system
wide VPN (all ports)... and yet...
b. Running the Aloha browser on iOS _does_ seem to set the entire system
(i.e., all ports) to VPN.

That's weird. IMHO. I don't know how they do that.

Melzzzzz

Jan 1, 2020, 2:59:52 AM1/1/20
On 2020-01-01, Arlen Holder <arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:
VPN is useless for encryption, except on private network. If you browse
web good ald https it is.

> Anyway, what's weird is Aloha on iOS:
> a. Running the Aloha browser on Android does not seem to be set a system
> wide VPN (all ports)... and yet...
> b. Running the Aloha browser on iOS _does_ seem to set the entire system
> (i.e., all ports) to VPN.

Ah, Android , iOS ;)
I got it.
Anyway that's policy. You can set vpn on Android disregarding browser.
Of course if you have one handy...

> That's weird. IMHO. I don't know how they do that.

Arlen Holder

Jan 1, 2020, 3:31:56 AM1/1/20
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 07:59:48 GMT, Melzzzzz wrote:

> Ah, Android , iOS ;)
> I got it.
> Anyway that's policy. You can set vpn on Android disregarding browser.
> Of course if you have one handy...

Apparently, it is policy, as you state, where, for Android...

a. You can set up system wide VPN and that works for all ports, but...
b. The Android Aloha "vpn" browser only does VPN inside the browser
(where it's really a proxy, IMHO, even as it's advertised as a VPN)

However.... for iOS...
a. You can also set up a system wide VPN that works for all ports, yet...
b. The iOS Aloha "vpn" browser turns on VPN for all ports (AFAICT).

That's just weird.

As for terminology, a lot of the mismatch is in the various uses of the
words, where, for example, when I use the word "VPN" I generally use it to
mean "all ports" and a "public VPN service", whereas many people might use
VPN to mean a "proxy for port 80/8080" (which is how Epic & Opera use it,
for example), and lots of the Linux folks still consider the only real VPN
to be one that you set up yourself to connect securely between your own
networks.

The terminology for proxy also means different things to different people
or to the same people depending on what we're discussing. For example, I
consider the Epic & Opera "VPN" and the Android Aloha VPN to be a proxy,
even as it's clearly advertised as a VPN, whereas I consider the iOS Aloha
VPN to be a VPN and not a proxy simply because it covers all ports.

Most talk of proxies is the single-tab stuff that you point a web browser
to, but we could talk of proxies using privoxy for example, where more
ports can be covered. And then there's encryption (e.g., port 563 for
nntp).

Sigh. So confusing. Depends on what we're discussing, so I can't disagree
with what you state because it depends on the perspective you have.

Suffice for _this_ browser thread, that VPN really means "proxy" except in
the weird case of the iOS Aloha browser, where it really means VPN (which
is why I brought it up as being different).

GB

Jan 1, 2020, 1:54:50 PM1/1/20
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 00:20:31 +0100, Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid>:

> For our annual December 31st software archives, here's the list (so far)
> of
> full offline installers for the "main" freeware Windows/Linux web
> browsers.
> (As always, please update so all benefit from this _actionable_ listing!)

*Chromium based*
Iridium
https://iridiumbrowser.de/downloads/
(Main claim: Enhanced security)

*Tri-core*
Avant Browser
http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.aspx
(Main claim: Tri-core Rendering Engine - IE, Chrome, or Firefox)

Arlen Holder

Jan 2, 2020, 12:08:50 AM1/2/20
On Wed, 01 Jan 2020 19:54:46 +0100, GB wrote:

> *Chromium based*
> Iridium
> https://iridiumbrowser.de/downloads/
> (Main claim: Enhanced security)
>
> *Tri-core*
> Avant Browser
> http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.aspx
> (Main claim: Tri-core Rendering Engine - IE, Chrome, or Firefox)

Thanks GB for the final (I think) fleshing of the annual December 31st
software archives, where anyone using the multiple-browser philosophy will
benefit from this actionable updated listing based on all good suggestions!

There are 22 browsers suggested, where about a dozen (roughly) work on
whatever platform you may happen to be on, which means you can easily
implement the multiple-browser philosophical strategy of setting up each
browser for a single specific task.

With respect to options, I especially loved that Iridium has a nice option
to put your user data where it belongs, i.e.,
--user-data-dir=/IridiumUserData

I'm not sure _where_ to put tricore, given its flexibility.

As for tri-core having multiple rendering engines, I wonder why that's
useful? Can someone give us a good idea of why we'd want to take advantage
of multiple rendering engines within a single web browser?

Here's the latest actionable update taking into account EVERY SUGGESTION!
*What are the key half-dozen Linux/Windows web browsers for each engine?*

8 *Chromium based* full offline network installers
[...]
o *Iridium* (Main claim: Privacy/Security)
[...]

4 *Independent* privacy-based full offline network installers
o *FreeGate* (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
<http://us.dongtaiwang.com/loc/download.en.php>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *Polarity* (Main claim: Efficiency due to Trident/Chromium)
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/polaritybrowser.apk>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)
o *Avant* (Main claim: 3 rendering engines, IE, Chrome, Gecko)
<http://www.avantbrowser.com/download.aspx>
Platforms: Windows (not Linux, Mac, Android, or iOS)
o *UltraSurf* (Main claim: anti censorship)
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/>
<http://www.ultrasurf.us/download/u.apk>
Platforms: Windows & Android (not Linux, Mac, or iOS)

--
See also these URLs which don't have the full offline installer links.

nospam

Jan 2, 2020, 12:25:56 AM1/2/20
In article <qujtsu$jng$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> 2 *Microsoft based* full offline network installers
> o *Edge* (Main claim: ???)

chromium based.

> <https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=M
> H14YU>
> <https://mspoweruser.com/edge-for-linux/>
> <https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download>
> Platforms: Windows, Linux & Mac (not Android, or iOS)

yes android and ios.
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-edge-mobile>

> o *Internet Explorer* (Main claim: ???)

obsolete.

John Corliss

Jan 2, 2020, 5:08:26 AM1/2/20
On 19/12/31 9:29 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> Do we have (yet) an actionable list of all free Windows/Linux web browsers
> (& their main purpose & where to get the full offline installer)?
> o If yes, then where is that single-page listing?
>
> If no, then we can try to compile that list starting here from suggestions.
> a. We should likely list the browser & its claim to fame (one line)
> b. And if possible, the location of the full offline network installer
>
> NOTE: My listing below comes from my Windows "readme" in my software
> hierarchy, and as such it lacks the specific Linux locations needed!
>
> Nonetheless, as a starting point, here's what I have so far...
> (Please improve with more browsers & better links to Linux/Windows full
> offline installer files!)
>
> *Chromium based full offline network installers* (Windows/Linux)
> o Chrome <https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/?standalone=1>
> o Chromium <http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/download-chromium>
> o Epic <https://cdn.epicbrowser.com/epicsetup.exe>
> o Iron <https://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php>
> o Opera <https://www.opera.com/computer>
> o ?what else?
>
> *Mozilla based full offline network installers** (Windows/Linux)
> o Firefox <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/>
> o IceDragon <https://icedragon.comodo.com/>
> *Microsoft based full offline network installers* (only Windows)
> o Edge <https://microsoftedgewelcome.microsoft.com/home/en-us/?FORM=MH14YU&wt.mc_id=MH14YU>
> o Internet Explorer ???
> o ?what else?
>
> * Independent full offline network installers* (most are Windows)
> o Brave ??? <https://brave.com/download/>
> o FreeGate ??? <http://www.dit-inc.us/freegate.html>
> o Polarity ??? <https://sourceforge.net/projects/polaritybrowser/files/>
> o UltraSurf ??? <http://www.ultrasurf.us>
> o ?what else?
>
> Note: I use one browser per one purpose, for security & setup reasons,
> which is why I have these browsers installed.
> o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.os.linux/55Yx7RtTzEI/cD55MlgjAQAJ>
>
> *What Win/Linux browsers &/or full offline installers have we missed?*

Since your message was cross-posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,
alt.comp.freeware and alt.os.linux, I have to ask who is the "we" you
are referring to?

Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?

If so, is there some online repository you can point out where this list
resides?

TIA

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

Dan Purgert

Jan 2, 2020, 6:02:57 AM1/2/20

--
|_|O|_|

Karen

Jan 2, 2020, 8:39:27 AM1/2/20
On 1/2/2020 5:07 AM, John Corliss wrote:

> Since your message was cross-posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,
> alt.comp.freeware and alt.os.linux, I have to ask who is the "we" you
> are referring to?
>
> Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
>
> If so, is there some online repository you can point out where this list
> resides?
>
> TIA

I think Holder just likes to see his name online, or has too much time
on his hands. A 2 second search reveals
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers and several
other results. May not be up to the minute, but so what?

John Corliss

Jan 2, 2020, 9:01:55 AM1/2/20
Here in ACF, the regulars used to collaborate and produce a list of
freeware that we called the "Pricelessware list". Trolls and Microsoft
shills destroyed that process though.

John Corliss

Jan 2, 2020, 9:02:46 AM1/2/20
On 20/01/02 6:01 AM, John Corliss wrote:
> Karen wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:
>>>
>>> Since your message was cross-posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,
>>> alt.comp.freeware and alt.os.linux, I have to ask who is the "we" you
>>> are referring to?
>>>
>>> Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
>>>
>>> If so, is there some online repository you can point out where this
>>> list resides?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>
>> I think Holder just likes to see his name online, or has too much time
>> on his hands.  A 2 second search reveals
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers  and several
>> other results. May not be up to the minute, but so what?
>
> Here in ACF, the regulars used to collaborate and produce a list of
> freeware that we called the "Pricelessware list". Trolls and Microsoft
> shills destroyed that process though.

(sits back, folds hands behind head and waits....)

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Jan 2, 2020, 9:11:18 AM1/2/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 06:02:19 -0800, John Corliss <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 20/01/02 6:01 AM, John Corliss wrote:
>> Karen wrote:

>>> I think Holder just likes to see his name online, or has too much time
>>> on his hands.  A 2 second search reveals
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers  and several
>>> other results. May not be up to the minute, but so what?
>>
>> Here in ACF, the regulars used to collaborate and produce a list of
>> freeware that we called the "Pricelessware list". Trolls and Microsoft
>> shills destroyed that process though.
>
>(sits back, folds hands behind head and waits....)

The bait you are using is bigger than the fish you are going to catch.

Sent from my iFurryUnderbelly.

--
p-0.0-h the cat

punk ass dole whore troll, no nothing innumerate religious maniac,

NewsGroups Numbrer One Terrorist

By Appointment to God Frank-Lin.

Signature integrity check
md5 Checksum: be0b2a8c486d83ce7db9a459b26c4896

John Corliss

Jan 2, 2020, 9:13:53 AM1/2/20
p-0''0-h wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> Here in ACF, the regulars used to collaborate and produce a list of
>>> freeware that we called the "Pricelessware list". Trolls and Microsoft
>>> shills destroyed that process though.
>>
>> (sits back, folds hands behind head and waits....)
>
> The bait you are using is bigger than the fish you are going to catch.

Fish on!!! (yanks on pole and sets hook....)

Scaly Ron

Jan 2, 2020, 9:29:08 AM1/2/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 06:13:25 -0800, John Corliss <r9j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>p-0''0-h wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:

>>> (sits back, folds hands behind head and waits....)
>>
>> The bait you are using is bigger than the fish you are going to catch.
>
>Fish on!!! (yanks on pole and sets hook....)

John, you've hooked me! Pull hard! Pooh has me imprisoned in purgatory!

--
Scaly Ron - mo...@hotmail.invalid - Ubuntu/Vista Dual Boot
Registered Linux User #666 - Ubuntu User #666 (12.04 LTS)

Arlen Holder

Jan 2, 2020, 12:24:31 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 02:07:56 -0800, John Corliss wrote:

> Since your message was cross-posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,
> alt.comp.freeware and alt.os.linux, I have to ask who is the "we" you
> are referring to?
>
> Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
>
> If so, is there some online repository you can point out where this list
> resides?

Hi John Corliss,

DISCLAIMER: This was written for John Corliss only (to answer his query).
(Others will be bored to tears since everything below you already know.)

I care about people - much like Marok Novotny cared about people, John.
o And I help people - however differently than Marek did.

I help not by answering questions, but by asking them.
o And then adding *all* helpful content - to _improve_ the answers for all.

Notice I'm _different_ from most Usenet posters.
o Most are here, IMHO, to simply "converse" (they use a "chitchat" model).
o I'm only here for one thing & one thing only, to ask & answer questions.

I don't sit at the coffee shop to "chit chat" every day like most do...
o I come when I have a question to be answered - I answer that question.

And then I leave...
o Returning anew only to flesh out in gory detail yet another question.

This, I've been doing, John Corliss, for about two decades on Usenet.
o In that time, I've fleshed out so many details, I can't count them.

From Centos, to Ubuntu, to WinXP to Win10 to Mac to iOS to Android.
o Most people are unlike me John Corliss (I'm likely 1 out of 10,000).

Some of _you_ are like I am, e.g., Marek Novotny was, for example.
o And Paul. And wasbit. And even Mike Easter (most of the time).

Others, are so polar opposite of me that I would term them children.
o Dan Purgert & Cybe(R) Wizard come to mind, on the Linux newsgroups.
o Rene Lamantagne & Paul Raymond come to mind on the Windows newsgroups.
o Diesel & James come to mind on the freeware newsgroups.

Those "children" are something like half or 3/4 of Usenet, IMHO.
o They _never_ can add any value to the FAQ model.

All they _can_ do, is idle worthless (IMHO) off-topic chitchat.
o That's why they _hate_ the FAQ model (it's too complicated for them).

Since I compare the "chitchat" model of Usenet to my "FAQ" model...
o Here is a detailed FAQ that answers (hopefully) your valid questions.

Q: Who is "we"?
A: Any adult who wants an actionable browser listing on these three ngs:
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-os-linux>
<http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-freeware>
<http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com>

Q: Why on earth would anyone need a score of free browser installers?
A: One reason is to update the yearly archive of free browsers for 2020
(particularly for those who employ the 1-browser-per task philosophy)

Q: What is the one-browser-per task philosophy you speak of?
A: It's a privacy/security/utility based philosophy of browser setup & use.
o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/H4694--5znY/LOOCa11RBgAJ>

Q: How many different browsers do you need to implement that philosophy?
A: Depends on the person; but a dozen to a score of browsers are available.

Q: Where are those dozen to a score of browsers available for my platform?
A: This listing contains what you need for most consumer platforms:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/krNaXA-YEbw>

Q: Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
A: Of course there is. My software hierarchy, for example, has hundreds.
archivers, browsers, cleaners, databases, editors, finances, games, etc.

Q: Where is another example, similar to this listing, of that collection?
A: See these purposefully helpful examples where 'we' each added value:
NOTE: This is only the result of a quick search (many more exist!)
o *Please improve this listing of available freeware PDF functionality*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/iB5aOor0-Kw/hzoJDDjADQAJ>
o *What is a decent freeware image watermarking GUI?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/xW6PwG45YnE/v-SvJ3byBwAJ>
o *Are there any other good freeware EXIF metadata editors?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/ICLOn2nZDO0/oQKRLzNECAAJ>
o *What freeware do you prefer to view GPS tracks on offline USGS topo maps?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/IeNTm2cOrd8/zeOXITDIBwAJ>
o *What's a good free desktop screen recorder?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/PmJ0dn3gots/9jBcg8zQBQAJ>

Q: What platform do you write these many freeware listings & tutorials for?
A: Any platform I own, which is basically every common consumer platform.
For example:
o *What free Android emulator do YOU use on Windows for running F-Droid APKs?*
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/jVDwboH6Dhc/lG_sq8X2CwAJ>

Q: Why are your tutorials & lists always aimed at 'free' software?
A: Because I want the lists to be generally leveragable to everyone.

Q: Why are your tutorials & lists always so damn detailed?
A: Because I want the lists & tutorials to be actionable by everyone.

Q: Why do you care that you help people learn more about such things?
A: Because I'm a purposefully helpful person, perhaps 1 out of 10,000.

I hope this short (rather obvious, by the way) FAQ helps you understand
that there are some people (maybe one out of 1000?) who are adults that
care enough to write many purposefully helpful tutorials and freeware
software threads simply so that they, and the other 0.01% to perhaps 10%
(at most, unfortunately) of the adults on Usenet can and will benefit from
everyone acting like adults on Usenet, where, to me, that means:

a. We post purposefully helpful content that we, together, improve.
b. Such that we can all make use of this purposefully helpful content.
c. Which improves our capabilities and knowledge on all consumer platforms.

While people like wasbit, Paul, Marek and I are one out of 10,000, some of
those who are likely half of Usenet who use the chitchat model are listed
below, where I posit that they have (almost) never, even once in their
entire lives, written a detailed tutorial or actionable listing on Usenet
that others can benefit from that contains even the simplest of
complexities that this thread flushed out with the help of the 1 out of
10,000 purposefully helpful adults on Usenet.

--
Below are chitchat Apple, Linux, Windows users who almost never add value.
o Alan Baker <nu...@ness.biz>
o Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com>
o Ammammata <amma...@tiscalinet.it> (not an apologist but ignorant)
o Andreas Rutishauser <and...@macandreas.ch>
o Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> (educated & yet immune to fact)
o B...@Onramp.net
o Beedle <Bee...@dont-email.me>
o "Boris T." <b...@lsd.invalid> (a common troll)
o Carlos E.R. <robin_...@es.invalid> (it's a crap shoot with Carlos)
o Char Jackson <no...@none.invalid> (never posts as an adult)
o Chris <ithi...@gmail.com>
o Cindy Hamilton <angelica...@yahoo.com> (never posts any value)
o "Cybe R. Wizard" <cybe_r...@WizardsTower.invalid> (always a child)
o Dan Purgert <d...@djph.net> (sometimes, but only rarely posts as an adult)
o David Catterall <djc...@eircom.net> (a common troll)
o Davoud <st...@sky.net>
o Diesel <m...@privacy.net> (aka Dustin Cook, mentally scary)
o Ed Pawlowski <e...@snet.xxx> (poser, makes believe he has knowledge)
o Elden <use...@moondog.org>
o Elfin <elfi...@gmail.com> (aka Lloyd, aka Lloyd Parsons)
o Fox's Mercantile <jda...@att.net> Jeff (devoid of redeemable value)
o "G. B" <g...@gb.com>
o Hawk <Ha...@gmail.com> (literally posts what children post)
o Hemidactylus <ecph...@allspamis.invalid>
o Idaho Homo Joe <dick...@aol.com> (worthless common moron troll)
o James <jamesor...@yahoomail.org>
o Jasen Betts <ja...@xnet.co.nz> (mostly is an adult but often is a child)
o John Gabriel <NoS...@nospam.net> (can only troll)
o joe <no...@domain.invalid> (rarely, but sometimes posts as an adult would)
o Joerg Lorenz <hugy...@gmx.ch>
o Johan <JH...@nospam.invalid>
o John Doe <alway...@message.header> worthless posts always
o John McWilliams <jp...@comcast.net> (doesn't comprehend adult topics)
o John-Del <ohg...@gmail.com>
o Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com>
o Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com>
o Ken Hart <kwh...@frontier.com> (sometimes posts on linux as an adult)
o Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>
o Lloyd <elfi...@gmail.com> (aka "Elfin")
o Lloyd Parsons <lloy...@gmail.com> (aka "Elfin")
o Lucifer <LuciferMo...@bigpond.com> (plays silly semantic games)
o Meanie <M...@gmail.com>
o micky <NONONOa...@rushpost.com>
o Shemp14 <she...@outlook.com>
o nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> (bullshitter par excellence)
o Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
o Panthera Tigris Altaica <northe...@outlook.com>
o Paul Raymond (aka porn king) <arling...@nospam.net> (porn obsessed)
o "pf...@aol.com" <peterw...@gmail.com> Peter Wieck, Melrose Park, PA
o Rene Lamontagne <rla...@shaw.ca> (always posts as a child would post)
o Roger Blake <rogb...@iname.invalid> wholly immune to basic facts
o "R.Wieser" <add...@not.available> (aka Rudy Wieser) (always a child)
o Sam E <why.sho...@be.email.invalid>
o Sandman <m...@sandman.net> (hates facts)
o Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
o Shadow <S...@dow.br>
o she...@outlook.com
o Snit <use...@gallopinginsanity.com> (aka Michael Glasser, troll #1)
o Tim Streater <timst...@greenbee.net>
o Tim Taylor <t...@binford-tool.edu>
o trader_4 <tra...@optonline.net> (pretends to know things)
o Wade Garrett <wa...@cooler.net>
o Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> (can only post childish remarks, ~BD~ sock)
o Wolf K <wol...@sympatico.ca> (always posts as a child)
o Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com>
o Zaghadka <zagh...@hotmail.com>
o % <per...@gmail.com> (always worthless posts)
o et al.

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Jan 2, 2020, 1:01:42 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 17:24:27 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
<arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

>o Shadow <S...@dow.br>

Hurrah! After all those years in the wilderness your hard work is
finally paying off.

Arlen Holder

Jan 2, 2020, 1:24:09 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 00:25:57 -0500, nospam wrote:

> <https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-edge-mobile>

Thanks for that link to the mobile version of Microsoft browsers!
o Here's the latest actionable update taking into account EVERY SUGGESTION!

The goal is twofold:
a. Save others' time archiving for 2020 the best supported browswers, and,
b. Enable others to implement the one-browser-per-task philosophy.

For example, here's a screenshot of my updated Android browser hierarchy:
<https://i.postimg.cc/8cdTSVMn/browser01.jpg>
(Note Android & iOS have "Aloha" which is another so-called "VPN browser"
which doesn't seem to be on Windows/Linux; so it's not listed below.)
2 *Microsoft based* full offline network installers
o *Edge* (Main claim: Ubiquitous on Windows, apparently chromium based)
<https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/microsoft-edge-mobile>
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, & iOS)
o *Internet Explorer* (Main claim: Ubiquitous on Windows, depracated)
As always, please improve so that, on every platform, there are at least a
dozen to a score of browsers with links to the full offline installers, so
that everyone benefits from every additional item of useful value.

Shadow

Jan 2, 2020, 1:46:00 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 18:01:38 +0000, "p-0''0-h the cat (coder)"
<super...@fluffyunderbelly.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 17:24:27 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
><arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:
>
>>o Shadow <S...@dow.br>
>
>Hurrah! After all those years in the wilderness your hard work is
>finally paying off.

I killfile all threads started by "the guy that likes holding
things". He's a Nico without the dog-complex.
I possibly missed some good replies, but I think I know most
current derogatory expressions. So nothing new to learn.
Did I make a list *AGAIN* ?
:)
Was it a nice list?
Advise.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Arlen Holder

Jan 2, 2020, 2:14:47 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 08:39:13 -0500, Karen wrote:

> A 2 second search reveals
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers and several
> other results. May not be up to the minute, but so what?

Hi "Karen",
I don't know you, so I simply ask for an _adult_ response please.
1. Did you notice we linked (many times) to that Wikipedia cite?
2. Did you notice it does _not_ contain the requested information?

Please respond as an _adult_ would respond.
Thanks.

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Jan 2, 2020, 2:39:34 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 15:44:56 -0300, Shadow <S...@dow.br> wrote:

> Did I make a list *AGAIN* ?

Yes, well done that doc.

> Was it a nice list?

Your career is taking off nicely.

Cybe R. Wizard

Jan 2, 2020, 9:14:02 PM1/2/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 17:24:27 -0000 (UTC)
Arlen Holder <arlen.geo...@is.invalid> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 02:07:56 -0800, John Corliss wrote:
>
> > Since your message was cross-posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,
> > alt.comp.freeware and alt.os.linux, I have to ask who is the "we"
> > you are referring to?
> >
> > Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
> >
> > If so, is there some online repository you can point out where this
> > list resides?
>
> Hi John Corliss,
>
> DISCLAIMER: This was written for John Corliss only (to answer his
> query). (Others will be bored to tears since everything below you
> already know.)

Others will be bored to tears with anything you write.

> I care about people - much like Marok Novotny cared about people,
> John. o And I help people - however differently than Marek did.

Arlen's Enemies List has grown to at least 85 although I think I
counted over 90 on one of his posts. His recent post only listed 68 or
so. Maybe there's some pandering going on or his mind (such as it is)
is slipping.

Marek had no enemies list. /HE/ cared about people. You fail
miserably in measuring up to his toenail.

> I help not by answering questions, but by asking them.
> o And then adding *all* helpful content - to _improve_ the answers
> for all.

Yet you consider yourself to be an educator. Heh, yeah, right. Tell
another one.

> Notice I'm _different_ from most Usenet posters.

Yes, many are human-like and have no enemies list.

> o Most are here, IMHO, to simply "converse" (they use a "chitchat"
> model). o I'm only here for one thing & one thing only, to ask &
> answer questions.

Um, don't look now, but that's TWO things. Not one t hing, not one
thing only; it is actually two things. Mind slipping just a wee little
bit?

??? Just five short lines above (in your post) you stated, "I help not
by answering questions." Now you do? Which is it? (yep, a possible
slipping mind)

> I don't sit at the coffee shop to "chit chat" every day like most
> do... o I come when I have a question to be answered - I answer that
> question.

You mean that you get others to answer it and then take credit for
their work, brains, and willingness to share by teaching. You, sir,
are merely a sop, much like a sponge but with less on the ball.

> And then I leave...

Oh, don't we fervently wish...

> o Returning anew only to flesh out in gory detail yet another
> question.

...that you would out your flesh in gory detail.

> This, I've been doing, John Corliss, for about two decades on Usenet.
> o In that time, I've fleshed out so many details, I can't count them.

What? But you claim that you DID count them at least up to 10,000:
----------
I have likely written over ten thousand tutorials, where at my last
company, I wrote over five thousand alone. On the Internet, I don't know
how many I have, but if you assume that I write one a day sometimes,
and at
least one a week, I have many thousands (i.e., I'm on many web forums).
----------

Did that, um, "slip your mind?"

> From Centos, to Ubuntu, to WinXP to Win10 to Mac to iOS to Android.
> o Most people are unlike me John Corliss (I'm likely 1 out of 10,000).

There's that same old number again. Is it a symptom of something dire?
Personally, I am one out of 7.7 Billion (in 2019) people. Who knows
where Arlen gets his clones or doppelgangers?

> Some of _you_ are like I am, e.g., Marek Novotny was,

You really do need to stop speaking ill of Marek. He doesn't deserve it
and you certainly /DO NOT/ measure up.

> for example.
> o And Paul. And wasbit. And even Mike Easter (most of the time).

No, none of them are at all like you; they actually help and are
generally nice people who /DO CARE/ about people. IOW, no enemies list.

VERY unlike you.

> Others, are so polar opposite of me that I would term them children.

That's one of the three or four words he knows with which to describe
those on his enemies list. He usually claims that we are in
possession of children's brains. I suppose he things we're ghouls.

Belief in those, I think, is indicative of something or other...

> o Dan Purgert & Cybe(R) Wizard come to mind, on the Linux newsgroups.

Yep, you just can't stop thinking about us, can you? It's nice to be
so cared for.

Additionally, your repeated mentioning of me is the reason you get
these replies (which will not stop, even upon my death, as I have
farmed them out to three other people who will get news of my passing.
Get ready!).

Unless you wish to do as I have long asked and give up that list of TEN
THOUSAND tutorials you claim to have written.

To all of you who have to see these replies, sorry. Killfile me if you
think it necessary. I'm usually not the vile beast seen in these
replies to Alren.

> o Rene Lamantagne & Paul Raymond come to mind on the Windows
> newsgroups. o Diesel & James come to mind on the freeware newsgroups.

I'm sure they feel as I do about your real and human caring.

> Those "children" are something like half or 3/4 of Usenet, IMHO.
> o They _never_ can add any value to the FAQ model.
>
> All they _can_ do, is idle worthless (IMHO) off-topic chitchat.
> o That's why they _hate_ the FAQ model (it's too complicated for
> them).

So much care for others you have! I'm completely in awe!

> Since I compare the "chitchat" model of Usenet to my "FAQ" model...
> o Here is a detailed FAQ that answers (hopefully) your valid
> questions.
>
> Q: Who is "we"?
> A: Any adult who wants an actionable browser listing on these three
> ngs: <http://tinyurl.com/alt-os-linux>
> <http://tinyurl.com/alt-comp-freeware>
> <http://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com>
>
> Q: Why on earth would anyone need a score of free browser installers?
> A: One reason is to update the yearly archive of free browsers for
> 2020 (particularly for those who employ the 1-browser-per task
> philosophy)

Because no one believes the myriad other lists of EXACTLY THE SAME
THING found all over the web.

> Q: What is the one-browser-per task philosophy you speak of?
> A: It's a privacy/security/utility based philosophy of browser setup
> & use.

No, it's a clear and obvious detailing of your compulsive/obsessive
disorder. Have you taken your medication today? It seems like you
have been FAILING IN THAT (TOO).

> o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser
> philosophies
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/H4694--5znY/LOOCa11RBgAJ>

...in which you attempt (poorly) to defend your disorder?

> Q: How many different browsers do you need to implement that
> philosophy? A: Depends on the person; but a dozen to a score of
> browsers are available.
>
> Q: Where are those dozen to a score of browsers available for my
> platform? A: This listing contains what you need for most consumer
> platforms:
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/krNaXA-YEbw>

...or this one:
https://en.wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

> Q: Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
> A: Of course there is.

What? That doesn't even make any sense viz-a-viz your question.
(although we know from your own words that you aren't good at actually
answering questions)

>My software hierarchy, for example, has
> hundreds. archivers, browsers, cleaners, databases, editors,
> finances, games, etc.

Too long, too many lies to read. Ho-hum, more of the same.

--
Cybe R. Wizard

In :
you (Arlen) said, "I formally now leave this thread."
You've posted to this thread 6 (six) times since.
Liar.
You, "sir," are a being of no honor.

Snit

Jan 2, 2020, 9:24:41 PM1/2/20
On 1/2/20 10:24 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 02:07:56 -0800, John Corliss wrote:
>
>> Since your message was cross-posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,
>> alt.comp.freeware and alt.os.linux, I have to ask who is the "we" you
>> are referring to?
>>
>> Is this list of browsers part of a larger collection of software?
>>
>> If so, is there some online repository you can point out where this list
>> resides?
>
> Hi John Corliss,
>
> DISCLAIMER: This was written for John Corliss only (to answer his query).
> (Others will be bored to tears since everything below you already know.)
>
> I care about people - much like Marok Novotny cared about people, John.
> o And I help people - however differently than Marek did.

And yet below you have a whole list of people you beg for attention with
your insults. You live for ATTENTION. You care not one whit about
sharing information as long as you get attention.

> I help not by answering questions, but by asking them.
> o And then adding *all* helpful content - to _improve_ the answers for all.

Nope. When I have asked you questions you ran. And then you come back
with a different name.

> Notice I'm _different_ from most Usenet posters.
> o Most are here, IMHO, to simply "converse" (they use a "chitchat" model).
> o I'm only here for one thing & one thing only, to ask & answer questions.

Yet below you prove you claim false. You are here to try to feel better
about yourself by putting others down.

> I don't sit at the coffee shop to "chit chat" every day like most do...
> o I come when I have a question to be answered - I answer that question.

So, anything about tech you want to discuss? Or are you just here to
speak about how highly you want to see yourself and how you need to put
others down to try to feel good about yourself?

John Corliss

Jan 3, 2020, 1:08:12 AM1/3/20
WTF is all this crap? Can't you simply answer my questions? They were
simply asked, deserve simple answers.

John Corliss

Jan 3, 2020, 1:10:33 AM1/3/20
Sorry, the hook came loose. Your decomposing flesh, you know.

Scaly Ron

Jan 3, 2020, 3:18:55 AM1/3/20
On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 22:10:05 -0800, John Corliss <r9j...@yahoo.com>
I prefer to describe myself as well hung, bitter-sweet, tender and
gamey.

Dan Purgert

Jan 3, 2020, 5:47:27 AM1/3/20

John Corliss wrote:
> On 20/01/02 9:24 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
>> The usual crap
>
> WTF is all this crap? Can't you simply answer my questions? They were
> simply asked, deserve simple answers.

He doesn't know how to write "simple". Much less without being
disparaging towards others.

iQEzBAEBCAAdFiEEBcqaUD8uEzVNxUrujhHd8xJ5ooEFAl4PG7kACgkQjhHd8xJ5
ooHlqAgAshVLN/VG08Z8vmZQJYDiiifDXxEDqk5iREq+zFdy+kb8tdyJIsqJZIve
HF4+bIcnU/vJEorOs2P2mVGYrL8n+8sUA/+QC/f35pR21Mgoj8+BVXZ9CldwCM1B
pCjCDoE/IVi+BsysSwGzfNK9EUOcKBSHgDF6nml6tFDqmd3ktPfXoOcrIcAZg4hM
L0zaO+39qnhb4G0X7F0sgVEjYyiKP3A4s0Ggg8dc8zAmLZ070PQ4fWZKg/HYghVV
WVsOQ1mbyPNC2K0mjzOhcWdMDEoy8dk3SWV2DHo6GhIU9Fn+z0pLCOGIZqNw+kRA
uCQvnbzIYg+p2UH1K0CVSTAVwp7OQg==
=SxHz

Rene Lamontagne

Jan 3, 2020, 9:52:10 AM1/3/20
John, You are dealing with the village retarded Idiot.

Rene

Unger

Jan 3, 2020, 10:38:04 AM1/3/20
Rene Lamontagne <rla...@shaw.ca> wrote in
Yea Rene, you *are* the village retarded idiot because you managed to quote
the entire retarded thread to add one sentence.
Well done, idiot.
Now go back to your village.

Rene Lamontagne

Jan 3, 2020, 11:11:28 AM1/3/20
Sorry, like many others I forgot to clip.
BTW, My *village* has about 800,000 people.

Rene

Karen

Jan 3, 2020, 4:50:52 PM1/3/20
I still say you're in it to see your "name". Check ALL your posts, I've
let The Guinness Book know you're out for the titles of "longest
threads" and "most follow up comments" to respondents. Buona fortuna.

William Poaster

Jan 3, 2020, 5:30:02 PM1/3/20
On Thu, 02 Jan 2020 20:13:57 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 17:24:27 -0000 (UTC) Arlen Holder

<snip>

> To all of you who have to see these replies, sorry. Killfile me if you
> think it necessary. I'm usually not the vile beast seen in these replies
> to Alren.

I killfiled the idiot Arlen ages ago, it's just a boring know-nothing
troll.

p-0''0-h the cat (coder)

Jan 3, 2020, 6:35:35 PM1/3/20
*plonk*

Arlen Holder

Jan 3, 2020, 10:34:44 PM1/3/20
On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 16:50:36 -0500, Karen wrote:

> I still say you're in it to see your "name". Check ALL your posts, I've
> let The Guinness Book know you're out for the titles of "longest
> threads" and "most follow up comments" to respondents. Buona fortuna.

I repeat, since you clearly seem to be _immune_ to facts, "Karen".

It's a simple question for an _adult_ to answer:
1. You posted a link which was already published many times.
2. That link clearly does not contain the full offline installer locations.

Why did you post that link and make your erroneous claims, "Karen"?
o Please respond as an _adult_ would respond.

--
When children are confronted with facts they can't respond to, they make ad
hominem attacks, to cover up the fact that they simply should apologize.

Arlen Holder

Jan 4, 2020, 5:25:06 PM1/4/20
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 17:29:51 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Do we have (yet) an actionable list of all free Windows/Linux web browsers
> (& their main purpose & where to get the full offline installer)?
> o If yes, then where is that single-page listing?

Solved:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/krNaXA-YEbw/ZmsEnxHPBwAJ>

That's the only post that matters in this thread, in terms of full links.
o Any post of or after "Karen" & "John Corliss" is their worthless spam.

--
Since the well-known common trolls have clearly taken over this thread
(where any hope of addigional value is lost once they infest any thread),

Arlen Holder

Jan 10, 2020, 12:14:54 PM1/10/20
UPDATE:

Based on information in this thread today:
o Firefox 72.0.1 fixes a security vulnerability that is actively exploited
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.os.linux/gz_Q2x9uawA>

And, given the main reason for needing so many browsers is twofold
a. Enable users to more easily install any browser they want, or,
b. Enable the one-browser-per-task philosophy
o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/H4694--5znY/LOOCa11RBgAJ>

As opposed to the swiss-army-knife-browser philosophy that most people seem
to use, in the *one-browser-per-task philosophy*, each browser is set up
specifically to allow the _minimum permissions possible for that task_.

While we're on the subject, there are two more privacy tricks, one of which
came up in this thread today about killswitches:
o Looking for and InternetOff like program for Linux
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/7EAW3bfdS18>

Which is to set the _default_ browser to any of the _proxy_ browsers, which
protects your privacy when links are automatically popped up (e.g., when
installing software, particularly on Windows, as I haven't seen a browser
pop up after a software installation on Linux).

Another related privacy based issue is that you can set the startup tabs to
allow privacy-based actions, such as:
o Chrome-based browsers: chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
o Mozilla-based browsers: about:preferences#privacy (is there better?)
o Microsoft-based browsers: ?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/jxtXrrjmWVE/P_aTEDsgBAAJ>

Notice that I can't find yet a better way to make it a single click for
Mozilla-based browsers or Microsoft based browsers to wipe out the cookies
on demand.
--
Usenet is a wonderful public potluck where adults gather to share value.

Arlen Holder

Apr 16, 2020, 3:55:41 PM4/16/20
UPDATE:

There are two updates for this thread on all web browser installers:
1. CrEdge released on January 15th, 2020 (two weeks after this thread)
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/4501095/download-the-new-microsoft-edge-based-on-chromium>

(Maybe crEdge image copy works better than oldEdge with Usenet URLs?)
<https://i.postimg.cc/t7078JSz/browser00.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/zvwVZ5sZ/browser01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/Hkrdbd6Y/browser02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/j5XGGFM3/browser03.jpg>

2. Today we added how to create a shortcut to IE for your WinXP-style menus
<https://i.postimg.cc/QNKrv8by/browser04.jpg>
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18520/download-internet-explorer-11-offline-installer>

Details in rec.photo.digital because of strange photo-URL copy in oldEdge:
o What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser - to get the ORIGINAL image URL?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.photo.digital/pfXdAkZJyBQ>
--
Every thread on Usenet should increase our overall group tribal knowledge.

Arlen Holder

May 20, 2020, 6:54:51 AM5/20/20
On Wed, 20 May 2020 15:31:11 +1000, Peter Jason wrote:

>>If so, based on that article, you're probably using
>>the ChromEdge one or something. As it's a lot harder
>>to do *anything* to the original MSEdge.
>>
>>There is a way to make a shortcut for the original MSEdge,
>>except, you can't edit it.
>>
>> Paul
>
> It's the same one I've been using for months. It was the MSoft promo.

Regarding the shortcut to Microsoft Edge... see...
o *What's the trick in the Microsoft Edge browser - to get the ORIGINAL image URL?*
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/TRgRQ8fg/what-s-the-trick-in-the-microsoft-edge-browser-to-get-the-original-image-url>

The reason I needed that Edge shortcut is that I maintain WinXP style
accordion cascade menus, and therefore, I needed to add the Edge & IE
shortcuts to that classic Windows XP style Windows 10 native menu:
Start > menu > browser > {edge,ie,firefox,tor,opera,iron,etc.}

EDGE
o TARGET = %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
o STARTIN = %windir%
o ICONFROM = %SystemRoot%\System32\SHELL32.dll

IE
o TARGET = "%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
o STARTIN = %windir%
o ICONFROM = %ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
--
Usenet works best when people post with purposefully helpful intentions.

Arlen Holder

Jul 31, 2020, 11:40:19 PM7/31/20
On Tue, 23 Jun 2020 05:48:07 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Have you noticed the new free Chromium-based Edge browser
> [Update & security > Check for updates > [Download]
> apparently COMPLETELY replaces the old Edge browser?

UPDATE:
<https://i.postimg.cc/PrcV1pXF/browser06.jpg>

I forgot to mention I figured out how to get all three Windows browsers to
work on Windows 10 concurrently
a. Internet explorer
b. Old legacy Microsoft Edge UWB classic
c. New Chromium-based Microsoft Edge
<https://i.postimg.cc/QN6rbSQD/browser05.jpg>

See this response just now, for example, on this thread:
o internet exporer pullled by Microsoft?, by Bentot
<https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/Iq6fdo9G/internet-exporer-pullled-by-microsoft>
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/8RGvF5vEgyg>

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:34:41 -0500, gooby wrote:

>>o Otherwise, it's too much of a PITA to even go rummaging to look for 'em.
>
> Check in c:\app\web\
>
> All ur browsers be in there. same sence xp.

Holy cow! I don't know you, but you clearly know me well!
o My menus from Windows 95 to XP to Win7, Vista, & Win10 are the same!

Exact same files, in fact; simply zipped up to port to _all_ my PCs!
o They have only improved slightly, over the decades, with new software.

Even iOS/Android devices use, essentially, the same functional hierarchy
o What we do on a computer doesn't change, essentially, between machines.

We edit, we browse, we archive, we network, we telecommunicate, etc.
o The fact you know that fact, means, you know me well: You are good!

What we do is the same functional menu hierarchy on all desktop machines!
o <https://i.postimg.cc/PrcV1pXF/browser06.jpg>

You're actually damn good because one in a million can do what you said!
o <https://i.postimg.cc/QN6rbSQD/browser05.jpg>

1. Here is my screenshot of C:\app\ where browser is next, as you knew:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/jqvR1RrG/browser01.jpg>

2. Below that, are the "types" of browsers, one of which is http
o <https://i.postimg.cc/xdrQmCKb/browser02.jpg>

3. Inside of http shows four fundamental browser code bases:
(chromium based, mozilla based, independents, & microsoft based)
o <https://i.postimg.cc/Y9MwXsDr/browser03.jpg>

4. Inside the Microsoft code base are the three MS Windows 10 browsers:
(internet explorer, old legacy Edge UWB classic, new Edge Chrome)
o <https://i.postimg.cc/4y3RGhTj/browser04.jpg>

Looking at the M$ *.lnk shortcuts, these are the TARGETS to each:
a. Internet Explorer
TARGET: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
b. Old legacy Edge UWB classic
TARGET: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge
c. New Edge Chrome
TARGET: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe"

Entering those commands into the Win+R Run box brings up each browser:
a. InternetExplorer: Gear icon > About Internet Explorer
Version 11.959.18362.0 (Update version 11.0.200)
b. Edge UWB: Elipses > Settings > General > About this app
Version Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0
Version Microsoft EdgeHTML 18.18363
c. Edge Chrome: Elipses > Settings > About Microsoft Edge
Version 84.0.522.50 (Official build) (64-bit)

As you noted, all three browsers work just fine concurrently in Win10!
<https://i.postimg.cc/PrcV1pXF/browser06.jpg>
--
Those who control Windows find that the simplest solutions work on all PCs.

Arlen Holder

Aug 1, 2020, 1:41:00 AM8/1/20
UPDATE:

By default, the three Microsoft browsers don't peacefully coexist on
Windows 10, but with a few tweaks, you can easily make them coexist.

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 18:24:26 -0700, Bentot wrote:

>>I checked on my Win 10 system (Pro, updated every month) and IE 11 still
>>there as well as Edge 18 (not Chromium Edge).
>
> Weird!! TKs

Internet Explorer, AFAIK, is unaffected when you install the new Edge.
o "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
<https://i.postimg.cc/PrcV1pXF/browser06.jpg

As far as I know, unless you change two registry keys, whenever Edge Chrome
is installed, the old Edge legacy classic UWB is "hidden" automatically.
o Edge Chrome: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\msedge.exe"
o Edge UWB: %windir%\explorer.exe shell:Appsfolder\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge

AFAI, you can instantly revive the old Edge simply by deleting the new Edge...
o C:\> cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application\84.0.522.50\Installer\
o C:\> setup.exe --uninstall --system-level --force-uninstall --verbose-logging
<https://i.postimg.cc/2SzGQkQZ/archive-installer.jpg>

But the new Edge will come back with the next Windows Update, unless you
know which registry keys to change to allow peace & harmony among Edges.
o <https://i.postimg.cc/QN6rbSQD/browser05.jpg>

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate]
"DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium"=dword:00000001

And

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate]
"Allowsxs"=dword:00000001

The former prevents Windows Update from stepping on your browser of choice,
and the latter allows peaceful coexistence of the two Edges concurrently.
--
Usenet is a wonderful polite public potluck of useful adult discussions

Arlen Holder

Aug 25, 2020, 1:23:19 AM8/25/20
Update

Here is an example of setting up more than a dozen free browsers:
o <https://i.postimg.cc/q7VC5YXV/microsoft-browsers01.jpg>

Where three of them are the canonical Microsoft browsers alone.

As always, to cross reference the Usenet permanent record so that it's
easier for othres to find tutorials and solutions, here are two tutorials,
each of which took me hours to figure out, create, and test on multiple
machines, which will benefit others who want to install all _three_
Microsoft
browsers side by side simultaneously, even after subsequent Windows
updates:

o Tutorial to set up 3 Microsoft web browsers
(Edge UWB, new Edge, & Internet Explorer)
to work concurrently coexisting peacefully
even after subsequent Windows Updates
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/fZlJTYRxYFg>

The first tutorial in that thread assumes people made the mistake of
installing the new (Chrome) Edge, which hides the old Edge (by default).
o <https://i.postimg.cc/PrcV1pXF/browser06.jpg>

The second tutorial in that thread assumes you are setting up a new
Windows 10 machine, where it assumes you still have the old Legacy Edge.
o <https://i.postimg.cc/q7VC5YXV/microsoft-browsers01.jpg>

As always, please improve so that all benefit from every Usenet post.
--
Usenet is a public web-searchable repository of useful hints & tutorials.

Peter Köhlmann

Aug 25, 2020, 5:14:52 PM8/25/20
Arlen Holder wrote:

> Update
>
> Here is an example of setting up more than a dozen free browsers:
> o <https://i.postimg.cc/q7VC5YXV/microsoft-browsers01.jpg>
>
> Where three of them are the canonical Microsoft browsers alone.
>
> As always, to cross reference the Usenet permanent record so that it's
> easier for othres to find tutorials and solutions, here are two tutorials,
> each of which took me hours to figure out, create, and test on multiple
> machines, which will benefit others who want to install all _three_
> Microsoft
> browsers side by side simultaneously, even after subsequent Windows
> updates:
>
> o Tutorial to set up 3 Microsoft web browsers
> (Edge UWB, new Edge, & Internet Explorer)
> to work concurrently coexisting peacefully

And why would any linux user want to know how to use completely shitty MS
Browsers, when they all the time had no problems using standards conforming
browsers?

Why don't you "inform" your fellow wintendo lusers how to use the MS shite?

she...@outlook.com

Aug 25, 2020, 6:28:06 PM8/25/20
Please don't feed the troll.

Arlen Holder

Jan 1, 2021, 3:21:56 AM1/1/21
See also:
o All known free ad-free VPN-proxy native ad-blocking web browsers
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/c/PC0cw7olG3M>

o Quick tutorial for yet another easy method to download youtube video
<https://groups.google.com/g/alt.comp.freeware/c/OXj3JqyTfh8>
--
Note: Epic blocks YouTube advertisements while Secure downloads the video.

Arlen Holder

Jan 5, 2021, 9:18:00 PM1/5/21
Update for "Ungoogled Chromium" full offline installers
for Windows, MacOS, & for most flavors of Linux

o Eloston Ungoogled Chromium
<https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/>

The main purpose of Ungoogled Chromium is described here:
<https://avoidthehack.com/how-to-install-configure-ungoogled-chromium>

o For more information, please see the Ungoogled Chromium GitHub:
<https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium>
<https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium#downloads>

See also "Bromite" on F-Droid for Android's ungoogled chromium.
<https://www.bromite.org/fdroid>
--
Posted as always, out of the goodness of my heart, to help others.

Arlen Holder

Jan 6, 2021, 10:46:38 AM1/6/21
Update:

This update applies directly to Android, iOS & Windows and only partially
to Linux (where I simply ask others if they care about the topic to help
flesh out what's on Linux) so that in a single thread, we have all the
canonical URLs to the full and complete offline (aka network) installers
(i.e., never just the stubs!).

To that end, please improve upon this newly compiled set of links today:
o What free, ad free, account free, free unlimited bandwidth VPN (aka proxy) browsers do you know of?
<https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/MXJLCPCS5vI>
--
As always, posted out of the goodness of my heart, to help others.
(Please add value by improving this information so all benefit.)