Possible fix for the "disabled extensions" problem in older versions of Firefox

John Corliss

May 5, 2019, 7:33:36 AM5/5/19
This worked for me in Firefox 52.8.1:

1. Open about:config
2. If your version of Firefox has it, change
xpinstall.signatures.required to "false".
3. Restart Firefox.

Doing the above re-enabled all of my extensions. You might lose some UI
customizations you've made, you can put things back in order with a
little effort.

Another problem after this fix is that if you go into your Addon
Manager, several of your extensions will have the following message
above them in a yellowish-tan color:

"(name of extension) could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed
with caution."

but I can live with that.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

pez

May 5, 2019, 8:09:51 AM5/5/19
| "John Corliss" <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:qamhmc$nig$1...@dont-email.me...
=

- thank you - it works ! -

JJ

May 5, 2019, 8:46:39 AM5/5/19
On Sun, 5 May 2019 04:33:11 -0700, John Corliss wrote:

> This worked for me in Firefox 52.8.1:
>
> 1. Open about:config
> 2. If your version of Firefox has it, change
> xpinstall.signatures.required to "false".
> 3. Restart Firefox.
>
> Doing the above re-enabled all of my extensions. You might lose some UI
> customizations you've made, you can put things back in order with a
> little effort.
>
> Another problem after this fix is that if you go into your Addon
> Manager, several of your extensions will have the following message
> above them in a yellowish-tan color:
>
> "(name of extension) could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed
> with caution."
>
> but I can live with that.

Note:
This only works for ESR, Developer Edition, and Nightly versions. The normal
versions DOES NOT respect that setting.

ESR: ("##.#.##esr" or "latest-esr" directories in)
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

Developer Edition: (AFAIK, Betas)
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/devedition/releases/

Nightly: (AFAIK, Alphas)
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/nightly/

pez

May 5, 2019, 9:49:47 AM5/5/19
| "JJ" <jj4p...@vfemail.net> wrote in message news:11h8h2vighvur.q...@40tude.net...
| "pez" <pez.u...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:gj824b...@mid.individual.net...
|| "John Corliss" <r9j...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:qamhmc$nig$1...@dont-email.me...
|| This worked for me in Firefox 52.8.1:
|| 1. Open about:config
|| 2. If your version of Firefox has it, change
|| xpinstall.signatures.required to "false".
|| 3. Restart Firefox.
|| Doing the above re-enabled all of my extensions. You might lose some UI
|| customizations you've made, you can put things back in order with a
|| little effort.
|| Another problem after this fix is that if you go into your Addon
|| Manager, several of your extensions will have the following message
|| above them in a yellowish-tan color:
|| "(name of extension) could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed
|| with caution."
|| but I can live with that.
|| --
|| John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
|| share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out
|| posts made from Google Groups and recommend you do likewise. I also
|| block (can't see & won't reply to) posts from »Q« and Kasey.
| =
|
| - thank you - it works ! -
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
- addendum -
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
| "Bill Sharkey" <wgsh...@rogers.com> wrote in message news:qakr85$o04$1...@dont-email.me...
| On 2019-05-04 4:01 p.m., pez wrote:
| > | "Shadow" <S...@dow.br> wrote in message news:1ha7pd11q3u314us2...@4ax.com...
| > | On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:20:40 +1000, Maurice Helwig
| > | <mbhe...@aussiebroadband.com.au> wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > | http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/
| > |
| > | Youtube-dl downloads from hundreds of sites
| > |
| > | http://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html
| > |
| > | (I use it for the BBC (sometimes need the proxy switch),
| > | Brazilian media, Facebook (need to temporarily disable hosts file) etc
| > |
| > | All you need is a command line
| > |
| > | youtube-dl -F URL
| > |
| > | will give you available formats
| > |
| > | And for example
| > |
| > | youtube-dl -f 22 someyoutubelink
| > |
| > | Will download the video.
| > |
| > | Pity there isn't a decent frontend for it. Tends to scare
| > | people away.
| > |
| > | PS I saw a new version of youtube downloader was released
| > | today
| > |

=
| The last update of Firefox stopped all addons. They are working on a fix
| and it should be out soon.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
: )

well, not exactly

since in my wxpp64&sp2, the [CookieKeeper] add-on
* s u r v i v e s * in FF 52.9.0,32-bit,ESR update
obviously, because I forced by FF to install it
non-"automatically", that is manually

anyway, thanks to this, last in the long sequence
of many previous, disaster it seems that finally
I shall rid off all these useless add-ons, that is
of the self-called "downloaders" - I hope

John Corliss

May 6, 2019, 6:10:55 AM5/6/19
Thanks for clarifying that, JJ. Yes, on this XP MCE SP3 computer, I'm
using FF 52.8.1 (32-bit) ESR. It's the last version Mozilla made for XP
AFAIK.

I've heard that Mozilla is causing the problem via built-in
certificates. Maybe people using normal releases could, after closing
Firefox:

1. temporarily set the system clock back to May 2, 2019
2. replace your profile (perhaps not overwriting the places.sqlite file
though) with a backed up copy made before that date
3. go offline (just to be safe)
4. start Firefox
5. in Options/Advanced/Certificates, uncheck "Query OCSP responder
servers to confirm the current validity of certificates" or whatever
that setting is called (or located) in the version being used
5. close Firefox
6. reset your system's date to the current one
7. restart Firefox to see if the fix holds.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps switching to an ESR version and
setting xpinstall.signatures.required to "false" like I did is the only
option.