[OT] Google Buzz: Privacy problem for GMail users

Craig

Feb 11, 2010, 11:24:16 AM2/11/10
If you have a GMail account, you may wanna take a peek at this:

> Google Buzz managed to completely overstep the bounds of personal
> privacy.
>
> When launched, Buzz automatically makes you a follower of the people
> you contact and chat with most frequently via Gmail. But the rub is
> this � anyone who follows you can see all the people you follow.
>
> So, imagine you've been looking for a new job and you've been
> e-mailing Marcie at the new company with your resume and references
> and whatnot. If Buzz makes you a follower of Marcie, all your friends
> from your current job who automatically follow you can see you've
> been chatting with the enemy. Now imagine this situation expanded to
> the even more risky (and potentially risque) realm of personal and
> romantic relationships. Yeah, you're getting the picture.
>
> You can go into Buzz and selectively follow/unfollow certain people
> to avoid this kind of incident, but the best evasive maneuver is to
> scroll down to the bottom of the screen and click "Turn off Buzz."

<http://consumerist.com/2010/02/google-buzz-makes-private-contact-info-public.html>

hth,
--
-Craig

za kAT

Feb 11, 2010, 11:34:51 AM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:16 -0800, Craig wrote:

> If you have a GMail account, you may wanna take a peek at this:
>
>> Google Buzz managed to completely overstep the bounds of personal
>> privacy.
>>
>> When launched, Buzz automatically makes you a follower of the people
>> you contact and chat with most frequently via Gmail. But the rub is

>> this 嚙碼 anyone who follows you can see all the people you follow.

"Why go to a product that isolates you from
the huge majority of the computing world" :)

Wait up! Don't Google use Linux?

--
za...@pooh.the.cat

Stephen Wolstenholme

Feb 11, 2010, 12:18:24 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:16 -0800, Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>
wrote:

>If you have a GMail account, you may wanna take a peek at this:

(snip)

><http://consumerist.com/2010/02/google-buzz-makes-private-contact-info-public.html>
>
>hth,

That's what it is for and the reason why I use Buzz. It is a good way
to spread information about my products.

I don't use gmail for anything that I want to keep private.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Feb 11, 2010, 12:20:38 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:34:51 +0000, za kAT
<za...@super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:

>Wait up! Don't Google use Linux?

What has Google got to with Linux?

za kAT

Feb 11, 2010, 12:42:30 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:20:38 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:34:51 +0000, za kAT
> <za...@super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Wait up! Don't Google use Linux?
>
> What has Google got to with Linux?

Quite a lot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_platform

--
za...@pooh.the.cat

Mike Easter

Feb 11, 2010, 1:17:25 PM2/11/10
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
> za kAT

>> Wait up! Don't Google use Linux?
>
> What has Google got to with Linux?

Google internally likes to use Goobuntu at employee workstations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu
http://google.about.com/od/g/g/goobuntudef.htm

Earlier this caused some confusion about google's intentions about what
it was going to 'do about' an OS. What the employees use isn't the same
as what google is 'doing' with development. The goobuntu is just a
mildly modded Ub and google feeds a little back to the ub repos.

--
Mike Easter

troppo

Feb 11, 2010, 5:38:27 PM2/11/10
Stephen Wolstenholme <st...@tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:16 -0800, Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>If you have a GMail account, you may wanna take a peek at this:
>>

> (snip)
>
>><http://consumerist.com/2010/02/google-buzz-makes-private-contact-info-
>>public.html>
>>
>>hth,
>
> That's what it is for and the reason why I use Buzz. It is a good way
> to spread information about my products.
>
> I don't use gmail for anything that I want to keep private.
>
> Steve

I had to switch from Basic HTML to Standard in GMail to find this buzz
thing. Does that mean it only works in standard? Or (more likely) you don't
know about it in Basic :-(

Stephen Wolstenholme

Feb 11, 2010, 6:06:50 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:42:30 +0000, za kAT
<za...@super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 17:20:38 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:34:51 +0000, za kAT
>> <za...@super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>>Wait up! Don't Google use Linux?
>>
>> What has Google got to with Linux?
>>

>Quite a lot
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_platform

I see. I thought you were suggesting that the OP used Linux rather
than Google but you really saying that Google use Linux.

za kAT

Feb 11, 2010, 6:49:52 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:06:50 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

> I see. I thought you were suggesting that the OP used Linux rather
> than Google but you really saying that Google use Linux.

Er.. na. I was just being sarky. Perhaps you've missed it Steve, but our
friend Bottom has been running a campaign against Linux. This was a quote
from him.

"Why go to a product that isolates you from
the huge majority of the computing world"

--
za...@pooh.the.cat

Bear Bottoms

Feb 11, 2010, 6:56:11 PM2/11/10

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:24:16 -0800, Craig <netbu...@REMOVEgmail.com>

> wrote:
>
>>If you have a GMail account, you may wanna take a peek at this:
>>

> (snip)
>
>><http://consumerist.com/2010/02/google-buzz-makes-private-contact-info-
>>public.html>
>>
>>hth,
>
> That's what it is for and the reason why I use Buzz. It is a good way
> to spread information about my products.
>
> I don't use gmail for anything that I want to keep private.
>
> Steve

Take that one huge step forward and don't use the Internet for anything
you want to keep private. Also, don't connect a computer that contains
anything you want to keep private to the Internet. Very simple.

--
Bear Bottoms
Owner of Freeware website: http://bearware.info

Stephen Wolstenholme

Feb 11, 2010, 7:00:50 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:49:52 +0000, za kAT
<za...@super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:06:50 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>
>> I see. I thought you were suggesting that the OP used Linux rather
>> than Google but you really saying that Google use Linux.
>
>Er.. na. I was just being sarky. Perhaps you've missed it Steve, but our
>friend Bottom has been running a campaign against Linux. This was a quote
>from him.

I'm not a Linux fan either so your sarcasm went over my head.

Stephen Wolstenholme

Feb 11, 2010, 7:21:29 PM2/11/10

The only things I want to keep private do not have interfaces to
connect to the Internet or a computer.

za kAT

Feb 11, 2010, 7:26:29 PM2/11/10
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:56:11 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Take that one huge step forward and don't use the Internet for anything
> you want to keep private. Also, don't connect a computer that contains
> anything you want to keep private to the Internet. Very simple.

Thx, and let's take that one more /huge/ step forward

...and /never/ forget to tuck your dick well away /before/ you pull the
zipper on yer kecks.

--
za...@pooh.the.cat

Bear Bottoms

Feb 12, 2010, 4:50:08 AM2/12/10

>>Take that one huge step forward and don't use the Internet for anything
>>you want to keep private. Also, don't connect a computer that contains
>>anything you want to keep private to the Internet. Very simple.
>
> The only things I want to keep private do not have interfaces to
> connect to the Internet or a computer.

Very smart Steve. And no, you do/should not need to expound on what you
wish to keep private :)

Bear Bottoms

Feb 12, 2010, 4:57:18 AM2/12/10

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:49:52 +0000, za kAT
> <za...@super-secret-IPaddress.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 23:06:50 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
>>
>>> I see. I thought you were suggesting that the OP used Linux rather
>>> than Google but you really saying that Google use Linux.
>>
>>Er.. na. I was just being sarky. Perhaps you've missed it Steve, but
>>our friend Bottom has been running a campaign against Linux. This was
>>a quote from him.
>>

> I'm not a Linux fan either so your sarcasm went over my head.
>
> Steve

I don't have anything against Linux. It just simply isn't as good an
operating system as Windows, all things considered. That is why I am not
a fan of Linux either.

What I dislike is having Linux rammed down my throat with dishonest
representation that it is better than Windows. The assault on Windows by
Linux fans is what started this discussion.

They would be better served promoting Linux on it's own
points...honestly, rather than the negative approach of trying to tear
down a superior product with irrational dishonest argument.

Linux is a good free alternative for some. It is not better because
there are definitely limitations when compared to Windows. There is
virtually nothing you can do in Linux, that you can't do in Windows, and
there is much you can't do in Linux that you can do in Windows. At this
time, there is no comparison.

glorieux

Feb 12, 2010, 6:15:48 AM2/12/10
One doesn't have to activate Buzz to begin with.
If anyone is stupid enough to activate a Google spy program such as
this...well, you get what you paid for.

glorieux

Daniel Mandic

Feb 12, 2010, 9:26:36 AM2/12/10
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> Linux is a good free alternative for some. It is not better because
> there are definitely limitations when compared to Windows. There is
> virtually nothing you can do in Linux, that you can't do in Windows,
> and there is much you can't do in Linux that you can do in Windows.
> At this time, there is no comparison.

Off course...

I have also my Debian multi-boot (lilo) to MS Windows NT.
But what you can't have for linux, is almost unneccessary...

It's not a bad system for intel based chipsets and their derivatives.
And does have, some freeware better (faster) than on Windows, IMHO!
(e.g. KStars)

--
Daniel Mandic

Bear Bottoms

Feb 12, 2010, 10:17:41 AM2/12/10
"Daniel Mandic" <daniel...@aon.at> wrote in news:4b75651c$0$12831
$91ce...@newsreader04.highway.telekom.at:

All of my hardware is considered necessary to me. Much of it will not
work with Linux.

za kAT

Feb 12, 2010, 1:25:26 PM2/12/10
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:57:18 +0000 (UTC), Bear Bottoms wrote:

> What I dislike is having Linux rammed down my throat with dishonest
> representation that it is better than Windows. The assault on Windows by
> Linux fans is what started this discussion.

You are the one being dishonest. Everybody knows my POV isn't pro one or
the other. I use many OS's. Hence I want to talk about them all. Sorry if
you can't, because you don't have the experience, but you put yourself in
the ivory tower, when you simply don't have the knowledge to defend
yourself, and that's why you keep getting shot down. Tough.

--
za...@pooh.the.cat

Luke

Feb 12, 2010, 4:49:48 PM2/12/10
In article <Xns9D1D27080C2be...@news.albasani.net>,
bearbo...@gmai.com says...

>Stephen Wolstenholme <st...@tropheus.demon.co.uk> wrote in
>
>>>Take that one huge step forward and don't use the Internet for anything
>>>you want to keep private. Also, don't connect a computer that contains
>>>anything you want to keep private to the Internet. Very simple.
>>
>> The only things I want to keep private do not have interfaces to
>> connect to the Internet or a computer.
>>

>Very smart Steve. And no, you do/should not need to expound on what you
>wish to keep private :)

Eventually the use of personal data will get this bad:

http://patriotupdate.com/stories/read/2724/Parody-Video-Thank-God-its-not
-this-hard-to-order-pizza-yet

Daniel Mandic

Feb 15, 2010, 3:15:14 AM2/15/10
Bear Bottoms wrote:

> All of my hardware is considered necessary to me. Much of it will not
> work with Linux.

Hi Bear!

No, I meant unnecessary stuff like browser bloatings and other things
"only" available for Windows. However, a MSN Messenger clone is
available for AMIGA, for example :). Linux is surely better in cloning
thought-to-be-only Windows services. You might not miss too much, but
it's tricky to setup linux.
The real problem is more likely, that the sentence (Copyright by
Daniel) "Any Windows user is a good user" refrains linux, becoming an
OS for the masses.

A friend of mine does all his html-css work on linux. He is having Win
too, to look how his work looks on IE. And, to play Flight-Simulator
plus online extensions (VAIO, Maps....) ;-)

--
Daniel Mandic

Bear Bottoms

Feb 15, 2010, 5:35:28 AM2/15/10
"Daniel Mandic" <daniel...@aon.at> wrote in news:4b790292$0$13722
$91ce...@newsreader03.highway.telekom.at:

I used Ubuntu for better than a year on another laptop. That I had to go
to my Windows laptop to do many of the things I wanted to do was enough
to change my mind. And yes, MS Flt Simulator is one of those things. That
other laptop is still there, collecting dust.

Gordon Darling

Feb 15, 2010, 9:47:43 AM2/15/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:35:28 +0000, Bear Bottoms wrote:

> I used Ubuntu for better than a year on another laptop.

You're lying again.

Anonymous Remailer (austria)

Feb 15, 2010, 1:49:33 PM2/15/10

Bear Bottoms wrote: