Quarterly Barrington update

Don_Taylor

Apr 9, 1990, 4:44:36 PM4/9/90
/ hp-ptp:alt.co-ops / dmw...@athena.mit.edu (David M Watt) / 10:41 pm Mar 24, 1990 /
Hey out there in Berkeley, what's the latest news? You mentioned that
some members were going to be squatting in the place, vandalism at
the co-op central office...sounded vaguely ugly. Have things gotten
more peaceable? Lots of ex-USCA'ers would like to know more.

(To the real world: Barrington Hall is a co-op owned by the University
Students Cooperative Association in Berkeley whose members were forcibly
evicted by a democratic vote of the rest of the organization for a continued
pattern of house-sanctioned drug use (if this is inaccurate, don't flame me,
but post the truth, please), where some of the residents were planning on
staying until the USCA forcibly evicted them, last I heard.

Please, tell me there's some good news.

- Dave Watt
dmw...@athena.mit.edu
dmwatt%smers...@eddie.mit.edu
----------

Bullwinkle

Apr 23, 1990, 4:34:06 AM4/23/90

I don't know the exact details , but I can tell you this:

1. All the sqauters have 'peacably' left Barrington after (I
believe ) they lost in court and decided not to appeal.

2. Future plans for the building include;

A. sell to city

B. lease to city

C. split in half ,one half for 'multi-ethnic' student housing;
the other for GRAD students.

I don't yet know if they're (the central office) going to let us
vote on this or do it solely through the board.

all this 2nd hand info and might not be entirley correct

-bastfw

Michael C. Berch

Apr 23, 1990, 7:53:52 PM4/23/90
I heard on the radio news on Sunday morning that there had been a
"fire of suspicious origins" on Saturday night (4/21) at about 10 PM.
The fire was referred to as a "blaze", but there was nothing I saw in
the Sunday papers (might not have looked hard enough).

Does anybody have details on this? Is the building still standing?

--
Michael C. Berch
USCA Barrington Hall 1974-78

tim...@ernie.berkeley.edu

Apr 23, 1990, 11:21:49 PM4/23/90
m...@presto.ig.com (Michael C. Berch) writes:
|I heard on the radio news on Sunday morning that there had been a
|"fire of suspicious origins" on Saturday night (4/21) at about 10 PM.
|The fire was referred to as a "blaze", but there was nothing I saw in
|the Sunday papers (might not have looked hard enough).
|
|Does anybody have details on this? Is the building still standing?

A fire on saturday evening burned several rooms in the basement and
two suites of rooms. The building is still standing.

Most of the news around here is just rumors.

Avery Ray Colter

Apr 24, 1990, 5:01:27 AM4/24/90
I lived in Barrington from Fall 1986 to Winter 1988.

And truly, the most disruptive part of the experience was the fact that I
felt I had to go to so many meetings, and state my loyalty to my house
so many fucking times, just to keep my housing situation stable.

The other thing that bothered me sometimes was the penchant of the whole
house for being seemingly a rumor mill. But that happens in any large
student housing with paper-thin walls.

Everyone always hears about the wild times, the parties, the LSD, the
people jumping off Rochdale.

What no one wants to hear, and what Beverly and S A T AN don't want you
eb a i

to know, and what Don Driscoll wants glossed over as much as possible, is
the fact that on five days out of the week, the main social activity of the
night was sitting down in the dining room with stacks of books, playing the
radios softly, studying like any other students, and maybe dissipating all
the stress of studying by banging on the pots and pans for 20 minutes out of
the whole night.

I moved out of Barrington a year before the closure, mainly because I had
found a social outlet I considered more important; I would just as soon have
left any of the other co-op houses at that point had I been living in one
of them instead.

But one thing is for sure: with Barrington gone, I have no intention of ever
being a member of the USCA again. And if any child of mine goes to Berkeley,
I will discourage them from that organization.

Such is my anger at seeing the community of Barrington dismembered, and
hearing Red Green, Beverly and Sebastian cackling to themselves at their
gruesome victory.

And, in all this, where is Don Jelinek, who came to our house a few years
ago promising he would support Barrington's survival? All forgotten after
election time. The BCA knows nothing of civil rights - I dare say they're
not even true leftists anymore.

--
Avery Ray Colter Internet: av...@well.sf.ca.us | {apple|hplabs}!well!avery
o/~ Mama, mama, mama, keep those skinny girls at home,