Leaving the Church of Scientology

Beth Guest

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Some time ago I asked for advice concerning the best way to leave the
Church.
Many of you wrote giving advice. Of the several (12 - 15?) responses
only one advocated communicating directly to the C of S about the
decision. I've decided to go along with the majority but thanks again
for the advice. It was very useful as I said.

What I hadn't realised was that, just by making the post I did on Clear
L , I had effectively broadcast my decision anyway. (I'm new to the
computer/e mail game but I gather that's right)

Have therefore decided to say exactly what I want here on Clear L so
that if any people from the church have read the first posting they can
also read this to explain it. It may be of some interest to others(?)

So

To any and all current or ex members of the Church of Scientology - an
open letter:

First of all I want to thank you for keeping the organisation going and
putting the Bridge there for me.
When I first came across Scientology some 25 years ago it was like
finding water in the desert. The gains I had through processing were
significant and lasting but perhaps the orientation of finding a mapped
spiritual path was even better.
I don't underestimate the hours many of you worked and the hardships
many of you endured so that poeple like me can discover what we did.
I do therefore thank you for that clearly and unreservedly.

I had presumed that, because my experiences were - largely (I had been
mostly on public lines and only on staff in an outer Org) very ethical
and good, that the whole of the Organisation was similar.
The data I since read on the net, the personal testimonies and other
books led me, in December, to the inescapable conclusion that I was
incorrect in that assumption.
I'm not going to list the data here - my guess is readers to Clear L
will know it only too well. I decided that regardless of my personal
experiences I could not ethically stay. I did not take the decision
lightly.

When I decided to leave I thought I had lost my immortal future.
(Looking back I cannot now see why I thought this but that is how it
seemed to me then. Probably got the idea from C of S itself?)
Anyway I crashed and it was only with help that I got out of that
very big black hole.
Once out of the hole life the universe and everything looked different
- very different indeed. I am still exploring...

One thing that did change that I feel is relevant to this post is that
my identity as a SCIENTOLOGIST vanished. It seemed to me that I had
put the identity ahead of myself.
>From my new vantage point it seemed and still seems now, that I can look
at the identity of a Scientologist (by this I mean the thou shalts and
thou shalt nots) more objectively and I feel they are not just wrong but
actually constricting.
I feel I can similarly begin to evaluate activities of the Church that I
had come across myself and that I had hitherto accepted unquestioningly
in an objective light.
I feel now I see flaws where I didn't before,( but also the good things
too.)

The flaws however are looking to me to be more and more sinister (?) not
sure if that's the word?
Anyway it's an ongoing process of discovery/re evaluation etc.

In view of this I have decided I do not want, for the forseeable
future, to sign up lock stock and barrel for ANY organisation
concerning Spiritual matters. To me the 2 things right now seem to be
contradiction in terms.

Does anyone out there see that point BTW???

What I will do and am doing, is looking around at all I can find and
will take what and when I can that seems right to me and or to people I
trust to help me through. (And even then I intend to evaluate it all for
myself as I go along.)

It was mentioned on a public post that I was into Knowledgism or some
such. Please, no one associate me with ANY discipline. I feel right now
that I NEVER want anyone to even imply "Beth is a Knowledgist/Scientolog
ist/Bhuddist/or any other label" ever again.
I have read a bit of Knowledgism and have used some of the processes and
yes I have found much of it very helpful indeed. However the minute I'm
asked to "sign in" to complete package of belief etc I'm out the door!

BTW From what I understand of Knowledgism I think Alan doesn't want this
anyway. To be fair LRH (Code of Honour - one of the first things that
got me into Scn) said the same but it didn't end up that way did it?

So I guess that's it.

Thanks are due to David and Heidrun for their help specifically in the
rough times, but also to the new team of friends here on the net, and
also to you techies from whatever disciplines for putting there what
seem to me to be bright new spiritual paths to look at and possibly
tread.

What fun!!

Beth

"Now that I have learnt to speak, what shall I say?" Goethe
Mrs Beth Guest

george s bolton

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

>Thanks are due to David and Heidrun for their help specifically in the
>rough times, but also to the new team of friends here on the net, and
>also to you techies from whatever disciplines for putting there what
>seem to me to be bright new spiritual paths to look at and possibly
>tread.
>
>What fun!!
>

>Beth

Thank you Beth I loved it, very clean and from the heart
I think you have many great adventures ahead of you :)

Love Lightnin

>"Now that I have learnt to speak, what shall I say?" Goethe
>Mrs Beth Guest

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Vince Johnson

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

george s bolton wrote:

Right on.
--
Very best regards,
Vince Johnson

Myself when young did eagerly frequent
Doctor and Saint, and heard great argument
About it and about: but evermore
Came out by the same door where in I went .
- Omar Khayyam

Don't never take no cutoffs - The Donner Party

Allen

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Beth Guest wrote:
..

> In view of this I have decided I do not want, for the forseeable
> future, to sign up lock stock and barrel for ANY organisation
> concerning Spiritual matters. To me the 2 things right now seem to be
> contradiction in terms.
>
> Does anyone out there see that point BTW???

Absolutely!

As you probably remember from the occasional archives robo-reposting of
asc0, I agree completely.

(Which may seem odd to those who think I want to rule the world - but
that's just because they seem incapable of an umbrella organization that
protects and provides but doesn't dictate.)

I think that if a church even asks of you as much as your country does,
it's oppressive.

> What I will do and am doing, is looking around at all I can find and
> will take what and when I can that seems right to me and or to people I
> trust to help me through. (And even then I intend to evaluate it all for
> myself as I go along.)

There's no better way!

And only give support when you feel it has been earned.

-0-

--

Allen, Speaker -0- ASC Missions Group
spe...@asc.org | http://www.asc.org

paul smith

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

In article <l7RnjVAz...@guests.demon.co.uk>, be...@guests.demon.co.uk
says...

>Anyway it's an ongoing process of discovery/re evaluation etc.
>
> In view of this I have decided I do not want, for the forseeable
>future, to sign up lock stock and barrel for ANY organisation
>concerning Spiritual matters. To me the 2 things right now seem to be
>contradiction in terms.
>
>Does anyone out there see that point BTW???

>Thanks are due to David and Heidrun for their help specifically in the

>rough times, but also to the new team of friends here on the net, and
>also to you techies from whatever disciplines for putting there what
>seem to me to be bright new spiritual paths to look at and possibly
>tread.
>
>What fun!!
>

>Beth
>

>Hi Beth!
Welcome to the sunshine of Freedomfromland! Your yellow
brick road starts right here.:-)

Congratulations to the Team of Beth,David and Heidrun.

Love,

Paul.

Whosoever knows others is clever;
Whosoever knows himself is wise.
-Lao Tzu.

Homer W. Smith

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Allen (spe...@asc.org) wrote:
>(Which may seem odd to those who think I want to rule the world - but
>that's just because they seem incapable of an umbrella organization that
>protects and provides but doesn't dictate.)

"Protects and provides but doesn't dictate."

Oxymoron, with emphasis on moron.

Homer

Allen

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

I guess that means you didn't understand. Or couldn't comprehend.

Or were bored with *self*-flagellation.

paul smith

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Hold it for a minute,Speaker.I have a request for the
sysop.

Hi Homer! How's your bum ankle doin?
Could you repost the materials on Fractals,Mendelbrots and
Julias? I have a friend that doesn't see the simple beauty
of the formulas.

Very much appreciated,

Paul.

O.K.Allen, back to Acceptance/Adore where you left off.