Saint Pollio

1 view

Traudel

Apr 28, 2004, 12:31:10 PM4/28/04
April 28th - Pollio of Pannonia & Companions, Martyrs

Died April 27, c. 304. We have the passio of Saint Pollio, a lector of the
Church of Cybalae in Pannonia (Hungary), who was burnt alive under
Diocletian. Governor Probus had already killed the priest Saint Montanus at
Singidon, Bishop Saint Irenaeus at Sirmium, and others. On the day the
governor arrived at the town of Cibales, Pollio was arrested. The lector
Pollio, a man of great virtue and a lively faith, was presented to Probus as
he alighted from his chariot and accused of irreligious speech and action.
Probus asked his name. "I am Pollio, the chief of the readers.
Probus: "Of what readers?"

Pollio: "Why, of those who read the word of God to the people."

Probus: "I suppose you mean by that name a set of men who find ways and
means to impose on the credulity of fickle and silly women, and persuade
them to observe chastity, and refrain from marriage."

Pollio: "Those are the fickle and foolish who abandon their Creator to
follow your superstitions; while our hearers are so steady in the profession
of the truths they have imbibed from our lectures, that no torments prevail
with them to transgress the precepts of the eternal King."

Probus: "Of what king, and of what precepts do you speak?"

Pollio: "I mean the holy precepts of the eternal King, Jesus Christ."

Probus: "What do those precepts teach?"

Pollio: "They inculcate the belief and adoration of one only God, who causes
thunder in the heavens; and they teach that what is made of wood or stone,
deserves not to be called God. They correct sinners, animate and strengthen
the good in virtue: teach virgins to attain to the perfection of their
state, and the married to live up to the rules of conjugal chastity: they
teach masters to command with mildness and moderation slaves to submit with
love and affection, subjects to obey all in power in ail things that are
just; in a word, they teach us to honor parents, requite our friends,
forgive our enemies, exercise hospitality to strangers, assist the poor, to
be just, kind, and charitable to all men; to believe a happy immortality
prepared for those who despise the momentary death which you have power to
inflict."

Probus: "Of what felicity is a man capable after death?"

Pollio: "There is no comparison between the happiness of this and the next
life. The fleeting comforts of this mortal suite deserve not the name of
goods, when compared with the permanent joys of eternity."

Probus: "This is foreign to our purpose; let us come to the point of the
edict."

Pollio: "What is the purport of it?"

Probus: "That you must sacrifice to the gods."

Pollio: "Sacrifice I will not, let what will be the consequence; for it is
written: He that shall sacrifice to devils, and not to God, shall be
exterminated."

Probus: "Then you must resolve to die."

Pollio: "My resolution is fixed: do what you are commanded."

Probus then condemned him to be burnt alive; and the sentence was
immediately executed a mile outside town (Attwater2, Benedictines,
Husenbeth).

<><><><>
Martyrology

Also today, St. Louis-Marie Grignon de Montfort, confessor, of the Third
Order of Penance of St. Dominic. He was the founder of both the Congregation
of the Missionary Priests of Mary, and of the Sisters of Divine Wisdom.
Illustrious for his virtues and miracles, Leo XIII added his name to the
roll of the Blessed. A duplex feast.

St. Paul of the Cross, priest and confessor, founder of the Congregation of
the Cross and Passion of our Lord Jesus Christ. He died in the Lord on
October 18.

At Ravenna, the birthday of St. Vitalis, martyr, the husband of St. Valeria,
and father of Saints Gervase and Protase. He buried with due honor the body
of Blessed Ursicinus which he had found. He was arrested by Paulinus the
governor, who subjected him to the rack, and afterward commanded that he be
cast into a deep pit and covered with earth and stones; by such a martyrdom
he passed to Christ. A memory.

At Atino in Campania, St. Mark, who was ordained bishop by the Blessed
Apostle Peter, and first preached the Gospel to the Equicoli. He received
the crown of martyrdom in Domitian's persecution, under the governor
Maximus.

At Prusa in Bithynia, the holy martyrs Patrick, bishop, Acatius, Menander,
and Polyaenus.

On the same day, SS. Aphrodisius, Caralippus, Agapius, and Eusebius,
martyrs.

In Hungary, St. Pollio, martyr, under the Emperor Diocletian.

At Milan, St. Valeria, martyr, wife of St. Vitalis, and the mother of Saints
Gervase and Protase.

At Alexandria, the suffering of St. Theodora, virgin. When she refused to
sacrifice to the idols, she was consigned to a house of ill fame; but
through the admirable care of God, one of the Christians named Didymus
changed clothing with her and thus saved her. Later, during the persecution
of Diocletian, under the governor Eustratius, Didymus was beheaded with
Theodora and together they received their crown.

At Tarazona in Spain, St. Prudentius, bishop and confessor.

At Corfinium among the Pelignians, St. Pamphilus, Bishop of Valva.(9) He was
noted for charity towards the poor, and the grace of miracles. His body is
buried at Sulmona.

(9) The Pelignians were an ancient Sabine tribe. Their chief town,
Corfinium, no longer exists; near its ruins is the city of Valva.

PRAYER TO OUR LADY OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT

O Virgin Mary, our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament, glory of the Christian
people, joy of the universal Church, salvation of the world; pray for us,
and awaken in all the faithful devotion to the Holy Eucharist in order that
they render themselves worthy to receive it daily.