Celtic and Old English Saints february 9

holy...@wondering.com

Feb 9, 2010, 7:15:18 AM2/9/10
Celtic and Old English Saints 9 February

* St. Teilo of Llandaff
* St. Muirdach MacRobartaigh
* St. Alto of Altomuenster
* St. Cronan the Wise
* St. Cuaran the Wise
* St. Eingan of Llanengan

St. Teilo of Llandaff, Bishop
Born near Penally by Tenby, Pembrokeshire; died c. 580. There is plenty
of evidence, both documentary and from place names and dedications, that
Saint Teilo was widely venerated in southern Wales and Brittany. (His
name may be spelled Teilio, Teilus, Thelian, Teilan, Teilou, Teliou,
Elidius, Eliud, Dillo, or Dillon.) He was undoubtedly an influential
churchman, whose principal monastic foundation and centre of ministry
was Llandeilo Fawr in Carmarthenshire.

Some facts are fairly certain. Teilo was educated under Saint Dyfrig
(Dubricius; f.d. November 14) and a Paulinus, possibly Paul Aurelian

(f.d. March 12) through whom he met Saint David (Dewi).In his school
days, his fellows had suggested that his name was derived from the Greek
word for the sun and there is no doubt that in his later life he was
regarded as a shining light, illuminating and warming the Church in
Wales.

We are told among other things that Teilo went with Saint David and
Saint Paternus (f.d. April 16) on David's pilgrimage to Jerusalem, and
with them shares the title of the Three Blessed Visitors to Britain. It
is also related that during the 'yellow plague,' so called "because it
made everyone it attacked yellow and bloodless," he went to Brittany and
stayed with Saint Samson (f.d. July 28) at Dol. There they "planted a
big orchard of fruit-trees, three miles long, reaching from Dol to Cai,
which is still called after their names." After the time with his friend
S.Samson at Dol, he was a guest for a while with Budic, a chieftain of
Brittany, who had married his sister Anaumed. After seven years and
seven months, he returned to Llandaff taking his nephew Oudoceus with
him, who was later to succeed him.

Bob Young

Feb 9, 2010, 11:13:02 PM2/9/10

On 2/9/10 8:15 PM, in article
4b7151d6$0$11058$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu, "holy...@wondering.com"
<holy...@wondering.com> wrote:

> Celtic and Old English Saints 9 February
>
> * St. Teilo of Llandaff
> * St. Muirdach MacRobartaigh
> * St. Alto of Altomuenster
> * St. Cronan the Wise
> * St. Cuaran the Wise
> * St. Eingan of Llanengan
>

> St. Teilo of Llandaff, Bishop
> Born near Penally by Tenby, Pembrokeshire;

Two nice old towns. When I used to go there as a schoolboy the chapels were
bustling, today, I am told many have closed down.

A drive thru the villages on the way to Tenby on a Sunday the chapels had
cars outside and people everywhere, now they sit desolate, many closed,
others turned into warehouses.

died c. 580. There is plenty
> of evidence, both documentary and from place names and dedications, that
> Saint Teilo was widely venerated in southern Wales and Brittany. (His
> name may be spelled Teilio, Teilus, Thelian, Teilan, Teilou, Teliou,
> Elidius, Eliud, Dillo, or Dillon.) He was undoubtedly an influential
> churchman, whose principal monastic foundation and centre of ministry
> was Llandeilo Fawr in Carmarthenshire.

Strange, doubts exist in nearly all of your posts about these Good men as to
exactly where they were and when, yet you have no problem believing what non
verified people did and even 'said' a thousand five hundred plus years
earlier.

Ever though of that ?

> Some facts are fairly certain. Teilo was educated under Saint Dyfrig
> (Dubricius; f.d. November 14) and a Paulinus, possibly Paul Aurelian

See above. If they cannot record the life properly of someone so good and
memorable he was made a saint, how come they had no problem thousands of
years earlier ?

And you talk to me about my visions lying broken at my feet or some other
silly thing, I cannot remember, take a look down at your feet for a change.

> (f.d. March 12) through whom he met Saint David (Dewi).In his school
> days, his fellows had suggested that his name was derived from the Greek
> word for the sun and there is no doubt that in his later life he was
> regarded as a shining light, illuminating and warming the Church in
> Wales.
>
> We are told

That's right. Verbal handmedowns they are is all we had then and that is
all they had in biblical days only worse.

holy...@wondering.com

Feb 10, 2010, 7:17:53 AM2/10/10
"Strange, doubts exist in nearly all of your posts about these Good men
as to exactly where they were and when, yet you have no problem
believing what non verified people did and even 'said' a thousand five
hundred plus years earlier.

Ever though of that ?"

Doubts are expressed where warrented. That is not the point or even the
importance of remembering them as to exactly what happened in their
lives but that they are examples of faith.

Alexandar the great lived 2500 years ago. What doubts have you about
him? Did he exist and were the accounts given about him valid?

The appeal to possible problems of the history of the church is but a
petty fetish of yours. Is that all you have left?

Bob Young

Feb 11, 2010, 2:46:02 AM2/11/10

On 2/10/10 8:17 PM, in article
4b72a3f1$0$11057$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu, "holy...@wondering.com"
<holy...@wondering.com> wrote:

> "Strange, doubts exist in nearly all of your posts about these Good men
> as to exactly where they were and when, yet you have no problem
> believing what non verified people did and even 'said' a thousand five
> hundred plus years earlier.
>
> Ever though of that ?"
>
> Doubts are expressed where warrented. That is not the point

Oh but it IS the point. The origins of these saints in many cases are
obscure most of them lived 800 years ago, but you put faith of a gospel into
claims that go back far beyond this, to over two thousand years ago.

Very much the point.

or even the
> importance of remembering them as to exactly what happened in their
> lives but that they are examples of faith.
>
> Alexandar the great lived 2500 years ago. What doubts have you about
> him? Did he exist and were the accounts given about him valid?

He lived. As for the validity, we can only speculate. But of course he was
not a god and he did not have a son that he claimed was a god either

Extract - http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/alexandersearch.htm

Time has made it difficult to distinguish the historical facts from the
legends surrounding Alexander the Great's tomb. However, there are four
theories concerning its location:
Asia: Two countries in Asia, Indonesia and Turkey, lay claim to his tomb
mostly because they were a part of his extensive Empire. However,
archaeologists have generally rejected this claim and no historical evidence
has ever been discovered to substantiate this possibility. .

Macedonia: Some believe that he may have been buried in Aigai, which was the
capital city of the Macedonian Empire where some of his ancestors were laid
to rest. Certainly, some modern historians have made a plausible and
attractive case for this possibility, though no evidence exists to further
these claims, other than ancient texts that indicates his funeral procession
was probably, at some point headed in the direction of Aigai.

Not particularly convincing that they had the facts right for someone so
important !

holy...@wondering.com

Feb 11, 2010, 12:42:06 PM2/11/10
> Doubts are expressed where warrented. That is not the point

Oh but it IS the point. The origins of these saints in many cases are
obscure most of them lived 800 years ago, but you put faith of a gospel
into
claims that go back far beyond this, to over two thousand years ago.

Very much the point.

or even the
> importance of remembering them as to exactly what happened in their
> lives but that they are examples of faith.
>
> Alexandar the great lived 2500 years ago. What doubts have you about
> him? Did he exist and were the accounts given about him valid?

"He lived. As for the validity, we can only speculate. But of course
he was not a god and he did not have a son that he claimed was a god
either"

And the same for the saints, they lived and are remembered not for the
exact accuracy about specific events in their lives but in being
remembered for the spiritual example they provide. They too were not
gods so the latter remark is irrelevant.

Bob Young

Feb 11, 2010, 11:35:01 PM2/11/10

On 2/12/10 1:42 AM, in article
4b74416e$0$11057$1c46...@news.club.cc.cmu.edu, "holy...@wondering.com"
<holy...@wondering.com> wrote:

A bit like 'The words of God' then as these too are irrelevant, since man
made them all up each and every one of them.

It would be nice if that were not the case, but sadly it is.

How do we know that ? Easy - simply take a look around [after removing ones
blinkers or binders] at the plethora of gods known today and thousands of
others recorded in history.

holy...@wondering.com

Feb 12, 2010, 8:06:51 AM2/12/10
>> Alexandar the great lived 2500 years ago. What doubts have you about
>> him? Did he exist and were the accounts given about him valid?
>
> "He lived. As for the validity, we can only speculate. But of course
> he was not a god and he did not have a son that he claimed was a god
> either"
>
> And the same for the saints, they lived and are remembered not for the
> exact accuracy about specific events in their lives but in being
> remembered for the spiritual example they provide. They too were not
> gods so the latter remark is irrelevant.

"A bit like 'The words of God' then as these too are irrelevant, since
man made them all up each and every one of them.

It would be nice if that were not the case, but sadly it is.

How do we know that ? Easy - simply take a look around [after removing
ones blinkers or binders] at the plethora of gods known today and
thousands of others recorded in history."

Ah, what a sad specticle, you pick up the largest remaining
shard of the multiple gods fetish and hope to gain some final comfort
howevr small from it.

This is an example of how you have considered your fetishes only
superficially. Merely to have one was once enough, now we are asking
you to consider them in depth.

Humans everywhere have a response to the divine. Now you hold that bit
of shard and say that shows that there is no divine. Oops, there that
shard goes; back unto the heap at your feet.