Full Throttle: Completed it and have comments!!!

Wade Eric Bynum

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/22/95
I have completed Full Throttle and now have some thoughts to share. As
far as graphics go, the game is great (except for the demolition derby
which reminded me of a Nintendo game). The sound in the game is also
excellent. While these two aspects are great, I beleive the game was
lacking in some major areas. First, the game was two short. I finished
it in 3 days. Also the game was very, very, very easy. I didn't have
to ask for any hints and figured out the harder puzzles within 30 min.
Also the game had no excitment/intrigue after about mid-way. Once you
talked to Correly when he was dying, the outcome of the game was clear.
You knew how it was going to end, you just didn't know the exact details
or puzzles you would have to solve. Basically this made the game boring
where the user was reduced to solving a puzzle in order to see what he
already anticipated. Personally, I enjoy games like Myst where you don't
know the outcome until the very end.

While the graphics and sounds are great, these do not make up for the
rest of the game. I would give the game a 7/10 (at the most). Basically,
I do not feel the game is worth $50. I am glad I only paid $15.

# Wade (Kcobra) # "Dammit Jim, #
############################## I'm a doctor, #
# web...@tam2000.tamu.edu # not a bricklayer." #
# or # -Bones #
# web...@acs.tamu.edu #################################
##############################

kraigy

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95
In article <3urd4r$4...@news.tamu.edu>, web...@tam2000.tamu.edu says...

>First, the game was two short. I finished
>it in 3 days. Also the game was very, very, very easy. I didn't have
>to ask for any hints and figured out the harder puzzles within 30 min.

I too just finished the game and have some similar complaints. The game was
too short. That much I agree upon completely. However, what there was of the
game was GREAT. For once in a game, I completely enjoyed the cut-scenes. The
comic book feel along with the voices from the MTV cartoon The Maxx, are
totally engrossing. It has some clever effects and a great rock and roll
score that fits the game very well. As for the puzzle difficulty, I found
them to be perfect. They weren't so hard that you get totally frustrated and
bang on the computer, but they were challenging enough that you need to
think things through a bit. Some things are easier than others, but overall
the difficulty level was solid. There needed however to be more puzzles.
Dialogue funny and voices acted well for a change. This game is great for
it's original feel. It looks and sounds like a comic book.

>While the graphics and sounds are great, these do not make up for the
>rest of the game. I would give the game a 7/10 (at the most). Basically,
>I do not feel the game is worth $50. I am glad I only paid $15.

I'd give the game a 9/10 with the one point missing for game shortness. I
payed $35 for my copy and feel it was well worth it. Don't let our
complaints of game shortness scare you away, this is worth checking out
(believe me, I hardly like anything).

P.S. Don't miss the credits. Some very funny stuff in there (ala Airplane)
along with some Biker Haiku.

P.P.S. Playing Star Trek right now. Very mediocre thus far.

Lawell Kiing

Jul 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/24/95
I agree. I haven't finished the game yet but I'm throughly enjoying this
game. Its sound track is great. Its story is great. The game just has
such a good feel to it. I maybe biased but I think Lucasart is definitely
the top game makers out there. Every one of their games have good plot
and gameplay (well, Rebel Assault can be debated, but that's another thread).
Also, I consider the puzzles just right. Anyways, my 2 cents.

>Subject: Re: Full Throttle: Completed it and have comments!!!
>From: kra...@pic.net (kraigy)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,alt.cd-rom,alt.cd-rom.reviews
>Date: 24 Jul 1995 07:28:48 GMT

Regards,

Lawell Kiing (Toronto email: lki...@vnet.ibm.com)

Jay B Biggerstaff

Jul 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/25/95
Lawell Kiing (lki...@VNET.IBM.COM) wrote:
: I agree. I haven't finished the game yet but I'm throughly enjoying this

I give FT a rating of 6 instead of 9. It was a great game, but we don't want
to give unneccessary credit for the shortness. Make LucaArts work for the
other 4 points next time. Had the game sold for $29.99, people would probably
not be complaining about the shortness as much. I want what I pay for in
gameplay, not glitz.

Dean Hobart

Jul 27, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/27/95
<stuff deleted>

>>>While the graphics and sounds are great, these do not make up for the
>>>rest of the game. I would give the game a 7/10 (at the most). Basically,
>>>I do not feel the game is worth $50. I am glad I only paid $15.

<more stuff deleted>

Where did you find full throtle for $15???

Thanks,

//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\
Dean Hobart DHo...@luc.edu
Loyola University Chicago
\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//

Arnaldo Homobono Paes de Andrade ipen 8169363

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95
> I have completed Full Throttle and now have some thoughts to share. As
> far as graphics go, the game is great (except for the demolition derby
> which reminded me of a Nintendo game). The sound in the game is also
> excellent. While these two aspects are great, I beleive the game was

I have just completed the game too and I agree with you: the graphics
(like an animated cartoon) and the sound track are the best I have ever
seen in a game.

> excellent. While these two aspects are great, I beleive the game was
> lacking in some major areas. First, the game was two short. I finished

> it in 3 days. Also the game was very, very, very easy. I didn't have
> to ask for any hints and figured out the harder puzzles within 30 min.
> Also the game had no excitment/intrigue after about mid-way. Once you
> talked to Correly when he was dying, the outcome of the game was clear.

First, I disagree when you say that the game was too short. OK, it's
short, but he has the correct duration, like a movie. I finished it
in a week. The game is very easy, and I didn't have to ask for any
hints too. But I complete disagree with what you have said about
excitment/intrigue. I think that's the only adventure I have ever played
that doesn't have any tedious points where you feel desire to stop
playing. Also, after the death of "Correly" (Malcolm Corley) the game
become more interesting, with more action (It's just remember the race
and the Ripburger's truck scenes).

> While the graphics and sounds are great, these do not make up for the
> rest of the game. I would give the game a 7/10 (at the most). Basically,
> I do not feel the game is worth $50. I am glad I only paid $15.

I give the game a 10/10. Good graphics, good sound, good history and,
mainly, warrant fun for a few days. I paid $50 (in Brazil, that's a good
price, and besides that, the game got legends in portuguese), and
I'm not regret.

ZDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD?
3 3
3 LAERTE B. ANDRADE 3
3 e-mail: ar...@spider.usp.br 3
3 3
@DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDY

Mario Pacheco

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95
to ar...@spider.usp.br
Mind telling me how you got past that orange haired woman with the
chain saw? I've come to the point where I need the cavefish lenses
and have been able to defeat everyone on the mine road except for
the cavefish biker and the chainsaw broad. And since leaving the road
does me no good, except to be chased by Ripburger's idiots, obviously
the path out is to defeat the chainsaw broad and the cavefish biker.

Payam Samie Garakani

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95

Speaking of goggles, is she wearing any? Try some fertilizer.

r.m.

P.S. The chainsaw doesn't work on the cavefish. 2 x 4.

Arnaldo Homobono Paes de Andrade ipen 8169363

Jul 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/30/95

> Mind telling me how you got past that orange haired woman with the
> chain saw? I've come to the point where I need the cavefish lenses
> and have been able to defeat everyone on the mine road except for
> the cavefish biker and the chainsaw broad. And since leaving the road
> does me no good, except to be chased by Ripburger's idiots, obviously
> the path out is to defeat the chainsaw broad and the cavefish biker.

When Emmet (the truck driver) drop down the truck's load on the Highway 9,
pick up a little bit of that and, when the orange haired woman shows up,
throw it onto her face. She will fall off her bike and you'll get the
chainsaw. To defeat the cavefish biker, wait until he raise his head and
use the wood piece (which you get from another biker); so don't use the
chainsaw on him 'cause he will explode himself. Put on the cavefish
lenses and wait until a message (on the down left corner) appears showing
the cavefish's hiding place. Good Luck.

P.S. Full Throttle isn't a hard game. If you try absurd things, may be
they'll work or at least give you a hint on what should be done.

Laerte Andrade

Jeffery Chu

Aug 2, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/2/95
Help! I'm considering buying Full Throttle, but I'm not sure if it's
worth it. Any recommendations, or perhaps for another game?

Bryant

Aug 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/3/95
Jeffery Chu <jeffe...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> writes:

>Help! I'm considering buying Full Throttle, but I'm not sure if it's
>worth it. Any recommendations, or perhaps for another game?

Get it, man, its an AWESOME game!!! The only problem with it is that its
too short. But its humorous, and the graphics are AWESOME. I think I'll
go play it AGAIN, cya!!

--
_________________________________
__ _____| |_____ __
> :| |::| :|_________________________________| |::| | <
/ :|__|::|____:/ Everybody wants to go to heaven \.____|::|__| \
/_______:/ \::/ but nobody wants to die. \::/ \._______\

Jane Ng

Aug 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/5/95
In article <Pine.A32.3.91.950729...@spider.usp.br>, Arnaldo Homobono Paes de Andrade ipen 8169363 <ar...@spider.usp.br> says:

>> I have completed Full Throttle and now have some thoughts to share. As
>> far as graphics go, the game is great (except for the demolition derby
>> which reminded me of a Nintendo game). The sound in the game is also
>> excellent.

Yup, I think so too!! The graphics is the BEST I've seen. And the music is
so cool. A friend of mine hooked her computer to her stero and it's just
like a movie. I LOVE THOSE ANIMATIONS. Best graphics, best music!

. First, the game was two short. I finished
>> it in 3 days. Also the game was very, very, very easy. I didn't have
>> to ask for any hints and figured out the harder puzzles within 30 min.
>> Also the game had no excitment/intrigue after about mid-way. Once you
>> talked to Correly when he was dying, the outcome of the game was clear.

Yup, the game was short. I finished it in 1 day (that's playing from day to
night). The game was really easy, I spent most time on those arcades.

>> While the graphics and sounds are great, these do not make up for the
>> rest of the game. I would give the game a 7/10 (at the most). Basically,
>> I do not feel the game is worth $50. I am glad I only paid $15.

I am really GLAD I borrowed it from my friend. $0.

Cheers,
Jane :)

Jane Ng

Aug 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/5/95
In article <3vf6hm$o...@anarchy.io.com>, Mario Pacheco <mar...@io.com> says:

>Mind telling me how you got past that orange haired woman with the
>chain saw? I've come to the point where I need the cavefish lenses
>and have been able to defeat everyone on the mine road except for
>the cavefish biker and the chainsaw broad. And since leaving the road
>does me no good, except to be chased by Ripburger's idiots, obviously
>the path out is to defeat the chainsaw broad and the cavefish biker.

I think you use the spiky skull to defeat the chain-saw woman...or the board?
Actually, you don't need to defeat the chain-saw woman...just use the board
to slam the cavefish...careful with the timing though.

Feel free to ask me for hints! jng...@helix.net

Have fun!
Jane :)

Stargazer

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
wln...@hk.super.net (Jane Ng) wrote:

>In article <3vf6hm$o...@anarchy.io.com>, Mario Pacheco <mar...@io.com> says:
>>
>>Mind telling me how you got past that orange haired woman with the
>>chain saw? I've come to the point where I need the cavefish lenses

>I think you use the spiky skull to defeat the chain-saw woman...or the board?

Have you ever played that game paper-scissors-stone? Just use the fertilizer
from the truck spill on the lady to get the chain-saw.

Clement Tiong

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
I also think it's one of the best game I have played, and one of the
shortest one.

Aug 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/6/95
In article <3vp27l$k...@celebrian.otago.ac.nz>,
jeffe...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz says...

>Help! I'm considering buying Full Throttle, but I'm not sure if it's
>worth it. Any recommendations, or perhaps for another game?
I have played many quest games, and the best one i have played so far
is Full-Throttle, a great game. It doesnt have a high resolution, but
it has great action and close-ups like in adventure movies. I enjoyed
every minute of it.

Ziv

terry w. weaver

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
In article <3vp27l$k...@celebrian.otago.ac.nz>, Jeffery Chu <jeffe...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> says:

>Help! I'm considering buying Full Throttle, but I'm not sure if it's
>worth it. Any recommendations, or perhaps for another game?

It is a great game. Mind you I get stuck from time to time...

BUY IT!!!!

Wildman

Godspirit

Aug 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/7/95
I'll second that previous opinion. The graphics are amazing, and I can't
figure out how they did some of them. And the game is great. Well worth
the price. A lot of fun, but sometimes a little hard to figure out the
puzzles (makes it worth the money though, no point in finishing it in ONE
day =)
Jon
#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#
The secret of all life is somewhere between the knowledge of the sacred
flower of life symbol and the symbol of the circle. Jonathan
gods...@aol.com
Or perhaps its Winnie the Pooh. =) in California
hila...@simons-rock.edu
#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#

Chris McMullen

Aug 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/10/95

Too Damn short though.. I was expecting something as long as Monkey 2..

--
Chris McMullen... sccm...@ucsalf.ac.uk
*...maintainer/writer of the Discworld Game Faq... posted weekly to: *

John Doe

Aug 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/11/95
just read....and thankyou very much.......i was so f#@$#@'n pissed at
that part....and now i can finish the game....wahoo!!!!!

Simon Woodroffe

Aug 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/12/95

I thought Full Throttle was the most fun you can have without actually
doing anything.

Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to
finish it.

Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
them I only had 4 Meg.

I got Simon the Sorceror 2 instead which is taking a good deal longer
and it's much more what I call an 'adventure'.

Still 'Full Throttle' has got to be the most entertaining game I have
ever er... watched.

SI

Angelika Greiner

Aug 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/14/95
I've just finished FullThrottle and I really enjoyed it. Well, it's true that
the puzzles aren't very good. But it has some really good scenes and and witty
ideas.I also enjoyed fighting on Mine road...
You can't compare it to other LucasArts Games like MI or Indiana Jones or DOTT.
If you want a game with a lot of difficult puzzles, don't buy Full Throttle.
But if you want a game a game with athmosphere and a lot of good scenes for
screen-shots , you'll enjoy it.

Give 'em hell, polecat !

angelika

Anil Bhatia

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95

Jeffery Chu <jeffe...@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> wrote:
>Help! I'm considering buying Full Throttle, but I'm not sure if it's
>worth it. Any recommendations, or perhaps for another game?

I have completed Full Throttle and I thought it was an excellent game, one
which which worth while playing. The only downfall is that it is very short,
it took me a couple of days to complete, (and I'm not that good at adventure
games).

Trina Borras

Aug 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/15/95
test

Lawell Kiing

Aug 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/17/95
That is very dishonest of you to do such a thing. You should have sold it
used and that way not cheat. As it is, you have cheated Lucasarts of money
which they use to invest in producing fun games for you. Nice going!!!

>Subject: Re: Full Throttle: Completed it and have comments!!!

>From: Simon Woodroffe <ga...@mail.cityscape.co.uk>
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,alt.cd-rom,alt.cd-rom.reviews
>Date: 12 Aug 1995 02:37:16 GMT

Richard Green

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
I'm about to reply to what lki...@VNET.IBM.COM (Lawell Kiing) wrote:

>>Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to
>>finish it.
>>
>>Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
>>them I only had 4 Meg.

>That is very dishonest of you to do such a thing. You should have sold it

>used and that way not cheat. As it is, you have cheated Lucasarts of money

Oh yeah? And what about LucasArts? How dishonest was it of them to put
on the back of the box "the best adventure game to date" or some other
such spiel to get us to buy a game.

How dishonest was it of them to get us to look at them as the masters of
game-writing and then bring out a product with a SHAMEFUL "graphics over
gameplay" balance. I mean, out of all the companies, you could NEVER
expect that of LucasArts. Origin? Sure! But not them.

Sierra did the same. Their adventures weren't half bad back in them
days when the games were popular on the ST and Amiga - the graphics were
pretty sub-standard, but the adventures themselves were fun, and you
were given lots of puzzles and choices.

Now, even though people seem to think CD-ROM is the perfect medium for
an adventure game - it's NOT. It suddenly cuts the writer's ideas and
possibilities unbelieveably... originally they could make the characters
say anything - all it required was someone to type the dialog in -
originally they could make the characters DO anything - all it required
was someone to draw the animations.

But now it's a case of the writer saying, "and I had ideas of him doing
this, and then us leading off onto a different storyline over here, and
here..." and then this is where the person who's funding this all-new
sparkling CD-ROM with 10 Hollywood actors and expensive special FX teams
on the ready comes in, scratching his head, saying: "gee, I dunno...
we're gonna have to scrap a few of these ideas - we just don't have the
money or time to do that much."

Monkey Island I and II have to still remain the greatest adventures.
They've got good graphics in terms of excellent drawings and animations
- they have endless funny dialogues, a really captivating storyline,
loads of different paths to take and explore at once... a wise man said
recently (ok, I read it on the Web), "as the CD-ROM market booms, the
technology advances, and the graphic and sonic possibilities get larger,
our adventure gaming worlds shrink dramatically... soon we'll just be
watching a game with film quality graphics on the screen, and watching,
and watching..."

Heh, seems we'll leave TV for computers only to come straight back to
TV.

Apologies for the endless babble.

+ RICHARD GREEN + non-stop details follow - email: Gre...@rikk.demon.co.uk
* email 2: fly...@grfn.org * telephone number: 0181-924 8743 * PGP key and
up to date info available by fingering: fly...@grfn.org * IRC Nick: Flyer2 *
web homepage address: http://www.grfn.org/~flyer2 * credit card PIN number:
--------------------------------------------------------(darn! out of space)

Werner Punz

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
Gre...@rikk.demon.co.uk (Richard Green) wrote:

>I'm about to reply to what lki...@VNET.IBM.COM (Lawell Kiing) wrote:

>How dishonest was it of them to get us to look at them as the masters of
>game-writing and then bring out a product with a SHAMEFUL "graphics over
>gameplay" balance. I mean, out of all the companies, you could NEVER
>expect that of LucasArts. Origin? Sure! But not them.

Well Lucasarts had really good adventures in the past. Maybe the Dig
will have the usual Lucasarts standard. Origin usually has great games
with great Grpahics:UUW1+2, Bioforge as few examples. WC3 is the only
game of Origin so far where graphics dominate over the gameplay.

>Now, even though people seem to think CD-ROM is the perfect medium for
>an adventure game - it's NOT. It suddenly cuts the writer's ideas and
>possibilities unbelieveably... originally they could make the characters
>say anything - all it required was someone to type the dialog in -
>originally they could make the characters DO anything - all it required
>was someone to draw the animations.

Well many game designers tend to pack lots of graphics and animation
on CD's and forget about the gameplay. But its like in the pre CD days
a few are good games and lots of trash.

Examples of excellent CD's: Return to Zork which gives you the same
possibilities of acting in a graphical interface like text adventures
in the good old infocom days. The story is excellent and nonlinear and
the adventure is one of the hardest (except some Infocom and Legend
adventures) I had to solve so far.

Dark forces:Yes it is a little bit like doom but excellent.

Under a killing moon:It is an adventure with lots of graphics but I
like it because it has lots of new ideas and a great story.(Would be
impossible on disk)

Myst (haven't seen it so far but it's considered to be excellent)

And many more.

On the other hand there are lots of CD's without much gameplay but I
think the percentage of good games is pretty much the same as 5 years
ago.

Werner Punz
we...@inflab.uni-linz.ac.at

The Professor

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
>Oh yeah? And what about LucasArts? How dishonest was it of them to put
>on the back of the box "the best adventure game to date" or some other
>such spiel to get us to buy a game.

Actually, it only says "A Heavy Metal Adventure" and even it did say
"best adventure game," you should realize they'll put anything on a box
to sell a game. What inclined me to buy it was the demo on the Dark
Forces CD and countless other sources. I loved the game. Sure, it
wasn't that hard or that long, but I had a great time the whole way.
Since then, I've invited friends over and we've gone through it
together. It's still a lot of fun. The dialog is great and the voices
are perfect.

--
___________taggarj@teleport.com___http://www.teleport.com/~taggarj__________
Jonathan Taggart|Point your web browser ^here^ for a thorough list of movies

lki...@ibm.net

Aug 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/19/95
In <8088270...@rikk.demon.co.uk>, Gre...@rikk.demon.co.uk (Richard Green) writes:
>I'm about to reply to what lki...@VNET.IBM.COM (Lawell Kiing) wrote:
>
>>>Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to
>>>finish it.
>>>
>>>Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
>>>them I only had 4 Meg.
>
>>That is very dishonest of you to do such a thing. You should have sold it
>>used and that way not cheat. As it is, you have cheated Lucasarts of money
>
>Oh yeah? And what about LucasArts? How dishonest was it of them to put
>on the back of the box "the best adventure game to date" or some other
>such spiel to get us to buy a game.
>
>How dishonest was it of them to get us to look at them as the masters of
>game-writing and then bring out a product with a SHAMEFUL "graphics over
>gameplay" balance. I mean, out of all the companies, you could NEVER
>expect that of LucasArts. Origin? Sure! But not them.
>
>Sierra did the same. Their adventures weren't half bad back in them
>days when the games were popular on the ST and Amiga - the graphics were
>pretty sub-standard, but the adventures themselves were fun, and you
>were given lots of puzzles and choices.
>
>Now, even though people seem to think CD-ROM is the perfect medium for
>an adventure game - it's NOT. It suddenly cuts the writer's ideas and
>possibilities unbelieveably... originally they could make the characters
>say anything - all it required was someone to type the dialog in -
>originally they could make the characters DO anything - all it required
>was someone to draw the animations.

Look, if you are dissatisfied with the game, don't lie to where you bought it
from saying you had only 4 mb. How does that help Lucasarts if you think
Lucasarts is going the wrong way??? They'll think that maybe they
should lower their memory requirements for the next game, not to make it
longer. In fact, I bet that if you protest loudly to Lucasarts, they may even
give you the game for free as a way to satisfy you. Why I say it is dishonest
is because if everyone did what you did, the whole industry will suffer. You can
always find something wrong with anything. What if say you're a very quick
adventurer solver (I know there are many) and you can finish every game
really quickly, this person will buy games and return them giving some lie as an
excuse. Don't you think this industry will suffer. If you think Lucasarts is so darn
dishonest, why don't you tell them?

Regards,

Lawell

Chris Andersen

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
I'm going to have to agree with Richard Green. It seems that
technological advances, far from opening up new avenues of gaming, has
done more to hamstring the creativity of the game designers then
anything in recent memory. I have yet to see a game with live-action
video that couldn't have been just as entertaining, and probably more
so, if it had been done with simple animations.

I'm reminded of a Phil Foglio cartoon done many years ago in Dragon
magazine. He used one of his "What's New" strips talking about how
computers were revolutionizing role-playing games (this was back in
the early 80s by the way). In a sequence of panels he shows a player
in front of a computer being slowly relegated to the role of a
bystander as the computer takes over more and more of the tedious
aspects of playing the game.

This was done as a joke, but I think it has a strong ring of truth.

I think consumers are partly to blame for all of this. We keep on
demanding fancier graphics and seemless emulations of reality and the
game manufactorers are responding (much to the delight of the hardware
people as well). Yet game play seems to have become an after thought.

We've now reached the point where there are 5-10 times as many people
involved in putting together the graphics for a "project" then there
are in actually writing the game engine and providing a fun adventure
to play on that engine.

I'm also reminded of a central thesis of Scott McCloud's
"Understanding Comics" (excellent book by the way, even if you don't
read comics yourself): the closer the graphic image is to reality the
more difficult it is for us to put ourselves into the story.
Simplistic animation tends to draw us into a story much easier because
the simple figures require us to fill in the details ourselves. We
spend less time marvelling at how "realistic" the graphics are and
more time getting involved in the game itself. In this form of art
the reader is a strong participant in the process of telling the
story, even in a medium as rigidly serial as a comic book.

Computer games are not inherently serial. They can be completely free
form, but only so much as the game is not hamstrung by the process
under which it is created. The more "talent" that becomes involved in
the process the less room there is for the game designers to
experiment with sidetracks and secondary quests. Yet it is those side
elements which truly add to the value of the game.

If I'd wanted to watch a movie I'd go to the theater.
---
Life - live it or live with it

chr...@agora.rdrop.com

Jay B Biggerstaff

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
Lawell Kiing (lki...@VNET.IBM.COM) wrote:
: That is very dishonest of you to do such a thing. You should have sold it

: used and that way not cheat. As it is, you have cheated Lucasarts of money
: which they use to invest in producing fun games for you. Nice going!!!

Oh please.....what game? IT was more of a $50 Movie than a game. This thing
was created to be more of demo that you show friend and relatives when they
come over (if you keep it). This should be a rental at Blockbuster.

: >Subject: Re: Full Throttle: Completed it and have comments!!!

: >From: Simon Woodroffe <ga...@mail.cityscape.co.uk>
: >Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.adventure,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.misc,alt.cd-rom,alt.cd-rom.reviews
: >Date: 12 Aug 1995 02:37:16 GMT
: >
: >
: >
: >I thought Full Throttle was the most fun you can have without actually
: >doing anything.

: >
: >Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to

: >finish it.
: >
: >Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
: >them I only had 4 Meg.

: >
: >I got Simon the Sorceror 2 instead which is taking a good deal longer

: >and it's much more what I call an 'adventure'.
: >
: >Still 'Full Throttle' has got to be the most entertaining game I have
: >ever er... watched.
: >
: >SI
: Regards,

: Lawell Kiing (Toronto email: lki...@vnet.ibm.com)

dimply rediculous. Ken Williams had better stop
wasting time smooching Bill Gate's butt and get his company in order. INN went
all to hell too. It's really sad.

Admiral Kirk

Aug 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/20/95
Gre...@rikk.demon.co.uk (Richard Green) wrote:
>>>Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to
>>>finish it.
>>>
>>>Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
>>>them I only had 4 Meg.

It may have taken you 4 hours to finish, but the average gamer will take
much longer. You may be especially gifted at puzzle/rpg games.

You returned Full Throttle because it was too easy, but suppose
LucasArts made it much harder. Many more people would then return the
game because it's too hard and they're stuck. The point is that game
companies try to balance their products so that it's enjoyable to as many
people as possible. You may only be a tiny minority at the extreme end
of the "skill" curve.

I finished Wing Commander II in about 4-5 hours, two evenings. I
thought the game was sort of a disappointment. However, most everyone
raved about the game and it became a classic. I tend to be very good at
this type of game, but most people who buy the game are not.

Richard Green

Aug 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/22/95
I'm about to reply to what lki...@ibm.net wrote:

>Look, if you are dissatisfied with the game, don't lie to where you bought it
>from saying you had only 4 mb. How does that help Lucasarts if you think
>Lucasarts is going the wrong way??? They'll think that maybe they
>should lower their memory requirements for the next game, not to make it
>longer.

Calm, man - I wasn't having a go at you. Also, I wasn't the one who
took it back to the shop after playing it through. I was just thinking
about how you say it's dishonest to do that. Well, I think we've got to
a time where games publishers are producing such crap, and then charging
extortionate prices for it, we can only fight back.

And somehow I don't think saying the memory requirements being high for
the game would encourgae them to make shorter games. Ironically, the
amount of free RAM needed to run games doesn't actually have much to do
with the size in terms of how ong it takes to complete. Look how long
Monkey Island 2 was - and that ran on 1mb extended.

>In fact, I bet that if you protest loudly to Lucasarts, they may even
>give you the game for free as a way to satisfy you. Why I say it is dishonest
>is because if everyone did what you did, the whole industry will suffer.

Again, I say, _I_ didn't do this - it was the first guy. But to address
the point, I think damaging the industry that way is very negligible to
how it gets damaged from so many other factors. As I said above,
software companies charging high prices is turning the customer off.
The fact we can't trust games to be of any quality anymore with the
amout of shite being released. Even magazine reviewers seem to be
losing their critical edge - rating games high because they play a
superb graphical extravaganza for two days and get blown away. But then
just stick it on a pile and never play again - why should they? They
didn't pay for it.

>excuse. Don't you think this industry will suffer. If you think Lucasarts is so darn
>dishonest, why don't you tell them?

Well, why do you think I post to newsgroups? Sure, I like chatting with
people across the globe, but something tells me considering how big the
Net's got, a lot of companies who produce games read what we post. It's
the best way of getting our true opinion on something.

Amir Dekel

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
lki...@VNET.IBM.COM (Lawell Kiing) wrote:
>That is very dishonest of you to do such a thing. You should have sold it
>used and that way not cheat. As it is, you have cheated Lucasarts of money
>which they use to invest in producing fun games for you. Nice going!!!

BOO HOO - Bad people.....

-------------------------------------
Name: Amir Dekel
E-mail: Amir Dekel <ade...@netvision.net.il>

http://shani.net/~adekel

ftp://ftp.netvision.net.il/home/a/adekel/amir.html

'The women, How much for the women ?' - The Blues
Brothers

-------------------------------------

PALMER THOMAS L

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
Admiral Kirk (admir...@earthlink.net) wrote:

: Gre...@rikk.demon.co.uk (Richard Green) wrote:
: >>>Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to
: >>>finish it.
: >>>
: >>>Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
: >>>them I only had 4 Meg.

: It may have taken you 4 hours to finish, but the average gamer will take
: much longer. You may be especially gifted at puzzle/rpg games.

Uhh...no...FT is a VERY easy game. I can say this because I suck at these
type of games..to date this is the ONLY game I have ever played
(adventure) that I only needed 1 hint and even I finished it in 4 hours.
BTW..LA knows it only takes 4-5 hours to finish.

: You returned Full Throttle because it was too easy, but suppose

: LucasArts made it much harder. Many more people would then return the
: game because it's too hard and they're stuck. The point is that game
: companies try to balance their products so that it's enjoyable to as many
: people as possible.

His reason for returing it to the store was wrong. He shouldn't have lied
but then again ALOT of people do the very same thing. I worked for
Electronics Boutique for 2 years and I saw soooo much of it. After 3-4
returns like that the customer became a "final sale" person. No more
returns for ANY reason. What he should have done was to contact LA and
told them he was unsatisfied. They would ave done something. Also he
could have returned it to LA for a FULL refund.

: You may only be a tiny minority at the extreme end
: of the "skill" curve.

Like I said FT is an EASY game.

: I finished Wing Commander II in about 4-5 hours, two evenings. I

: thought the game was sort of a disappointment. However, most everyone
: raved about the game and it became a classic. I tend to be very good at
: this type of game, but most people who buy the game are not.

Sounds about right for WC2.

William Owen

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95

>loads of different paths to take and explore at once... a wise man said
>recently (ok, I read it on the Web), "as the CD-ROM market booms, the
>technology advances, and the graphic and sonic possibilities get larger,
>our adventure gaming worlds shrink dramatically... soon we'll just be
>watching a game with film quality graphics on the screen, and watching,
>and watching..."
>
>Heh, seems we'll leave TV for computers only to come straight back to
>TV.

Just watching a film quality game? Check out the new "Johnny Mnemonic
CD". That's about what it is. Just watch it. Big whoop.

--
Will Owen, CEO
Spastic Software,

Atsushi Kanamori

Aug 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/24/95
In article <8088270...@rikk.demon.co.uk>,
Richard Green <Gre...@rikk.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm about to reply to what lki...@VNET.IBM.COM (Lawell Kiing) wrote:
>
>>>Very exicting and gripping stuff for the entire 4 hours it took me to
>>>finish it.
>>>
>>>Luckily, WHSmiths believed me when I took it back the next day telling
>>>them I only had 4 Meg.
>
>>That is very dishonest of you to do such a thing. You should have sold it
>>used and that way not cheat. As it is, you have cheated Lucasarts of money
>
>Oh yeah? And what about LucasArts? How dishonest was it of them to put
>on the back of the box "the best adventure game to date" or some other
>such spiel to get us to buy a game.
>
>How dishonest was it of them to get us to look at them as the masters of
>game-writing and then bring out a product with a SHAMEFUL "graphics over
>gameplay" balance. I mean, out of all the companies, you could NEVER
>expect that of LucasArts.

Two words: "Rebel Assault."