Q: how to *explode* an elipse

Plaze Monitor

May 12, 2002, 5:19:05 PM5/12/02
I have drawn a normal elipse in autocad 2000. I need to *explode* or
convert the elipse into lines or plines or arc or segments of some
type. I've been at it for a while without making progress. I need help
to figure this out. Thanks in advance.

Doug Brown

May 12, 2002, 6:06:58 PM5/12/02
(using R2002) export the ellipse as a R12 dxf (using "select objects" option),
open the dxf file, copy the ellipse (now a polyline) to the clipboard, and paste
into your drawing.

Doug

"Plaze Monitor" <ha...@shaw.invalid> wrote in message

Doug Brown

May 12, 2002, 6:48:20 PM5/12/02
I'm embarrassed. Really should browse the help files more. An easier way is to
offset the ellipse a set amount (e.g.. 0.1). this creates a polyline spline.
Erase the ellipse and offset the Polyline back 0.1.

Doug

"Doug Brown" <db...@telus.net> wrote in message

Doug Brown

May 12, 2002, 7:32:44 PM5/12/02
Now I'm really embarrassed. That just creates a spline. To convert an existing
ellipse to a polyline ellipse the dxf route is the way to go.

Doug

"Doug Brown" <db...@telus.net> wrote in message

Michael

May 13, 2002, 12:52:20 AM5/13/02
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you just "trace" the ellipse with a
polyline and then erase the the original ellipse?

Michael

"Doug Brown" <db...@telus.net> wrote in message

B. W. Salt.

May 13, 2002, 5:32:00 AM5/13/02

I think you'll need to explode the ellipse after pasting. Having tried the procedure in R14, the pasted ellipse is not a polyline until it has
been exploded.

Once Shy

May 13, 2002, 12:58:14 PM5/13/02
When PELLIPSE is set to <0>, the ellipse can not be exploded. When
PELLIPSE is set to <1>, the ellipse can be exploded to it's individual
arc segments.

Thanks to Juan Jose Molina on "alt.cad" for his knowledge and sharing
it, thanks.

In article <8EHD8.6592$Wg.5...@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Michael

Craig Boggan

May 13, 2002, 2:33:49 PM5/13/02
Just a note, you have to set the pellipse to 1 before creating the ellipse.
After setting it to then it can be exploded

"Once Shy" <ha...@shaw.invalid> wrote in message

Keith Blackie

May 13, 2002, 2:37:13 PM5/13/02
Actually, PELLIPSE only controls the creation of new ellipse objects. If
PELLIPSE is set to 1 then all new ellipse objects will be a polyline
approximation of a true ellipse object. You cannot explode an ellipse
object, at least without special software, you can however, explode a
polyline ellipse object that has been created when PELLIPSE was set to 1.

An option to convert the ellipses to explodable polylines is to save the
ellipse objects as a R12 DXF file then insert the DXF into the drawing.

Trey Monsour

May 13, 2002, 5:18:46 PM5/13/02
What is the reason for having the "ellipse" object if you really can't work
with it? All in all, it's not that often tha I find an 'unadulterated'
ellipse.. they usually always have to be cut/trimmed or whatever... but
then again, that's just my experience...

On Mon, 13 May 2002 14:37:13 -0400, "Keith Blackie" <homen...@alltel.net>

Michael Bulatovich

May 14, 2002, 8:22:09 AM5/14/02

"Trey Monsour" <NO_SPAM_...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> What is the reason for having the "ellipse" object if you really can't
work
> with it?

So you can say your software can create them.

Trey Monsour

May 14, 2002, 9:32:00 AM5/14/02
On Tue, 14 May 2002 08:22:09 -0400, "Michael Bulatovich" <do...@even.try>
wrote:

the sad part about that response is that it's probably exactly right.

Message has been deleted

faq...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2016, 1:58:10 AM11/29/16
On Monday, May 13, 2002 at 2:06:58 AM UTC+4, Doug Brown wrote:
> (using R2002) export the ellipse as a R12 dxf (using "select objects" option),
> open the dxf file, copy the ellipse (now a polyline) to the clipboard, and paste
> into your drawing.
>
> Doug

Doug Brown: This method is working; thanks for sharing.