They sure are afraid you'll get baptised

Rev. Steve Winter

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Wow, in reading USENET it seems like most of the recent postings are by
one variety or another of some anon false christian scum desperately
clamoring to convince you that you don't need to be baptised in Jesus
Name. Some of them are getting so silly that their Satanic influence
is obvious. The best defense against false christian filth is still
education and information, so let's review some Bible basics.

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is
given unto me in heaven and in earth.

* Jesus declared that he had ALL POWER by himself, then he commanded
that baptism be administered in a singular name.

Notice that Jesus said "name" and not "names. This is important.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
in the name .....

* Then he went on to describe that singular name.*

When the apostles that heard Jesus speak, baptised; they used a singular
name as Jesus had commanded. They did not "parrot" the description of the
name, but, they used the name itself, because there is only one saving name.

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none
other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
^^^^
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one
of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye
shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is
the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life
through his name.
^^^^
Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all
nor teach in the name of Jesus.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were
baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of
repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him
which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
Acts 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of
the Lord Jesus. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Philippians 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
[things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the
earth;

Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the
name of the Lord Jesus,......

* The false christian church refuses to "do all" in the name of Jesus. They
refuse to baptise in the name of "Jesus". They refuse the NAME,
while parroting the description of the name. *

Rev. Steve Winter, PreRapture(tm) Network HUB 919-286-3606 300-33600
--
-={ PreRapture BBS 919-286-2100 33600bps / Telnet to PRIME.ORG }=-
http://www.prime.org Home of the PRIME Christian Network

Swisher

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Rev. Steve Winter wrote:

> Wow, in reading USENET it seems like most of the recent postings are by
> one variety or another of some anon false christian scum desperately
> clamoring to convince you that you don't need to be baptised in Jesus
> Name. Some of them are getting so silly that their Satanic influence
> is obvious. The best defense against false christian filth is still
> education and information, so let's review some Bible basics.

Indeed. To begin with, it's important to say that oneness kooks talk a lot about
the Apostle Paul, but they never quote one verse about Paul.

1Cor:1:17: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

The purpose of Christs shed blood on the cross was to pay the penalty for our
sins. What a gift!

Keep this verse in mind when you read through and see their false claim that
baptism IS the saving gospel. Paul clearly makes a distinction.

> Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is
> given unto me in heaven and in earth.
>
> * Jesus declared that he had ALL POWER by himself, then he commanded
> that baptism be administered in a singular name.
>
> Notice that Jesus said "name" and not "names. This is important.
>
> Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them
> in the name .....
>
> * Then he went on to describe that singular name.*

Here's the first problem with the Oneness kooks. The basis of their screwy
belief rests on totally denying the fact that God is capable of being three
persons and still be one God. In fact, their contempt for the Trinity is so bad
that Stevie here can't bring himself to quote the entire verse.It's important to
remember that in those days the phrase "in the name of" simply meant "by the
authority of."
It's not intended to be some magical baptism formula.

> When the apostles that heard Jesus speak, baptised; they used a singular
> name as Jesus had commanded. They did not "parrot" the description of the
> name, but, they used the name itself, because there is only one saving name.
>
> Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none
> other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
> ^^^^
> Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one
> of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye
> shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Oneness kooks refuse to look at this verse the correct way. They want to look at
it on the surface only in our English language today. They take the phrase "for
the remission of sins" to mean "to attain the remission of sins." When you
compare this verse to OTHER baptism verses, it shows that intrepretation to be
incorrect. Oneness kooks don't want you to examine the ENTIRE Bible, just the
verses they like.Correctly translated it means Repent, and be baptized every one
of you by the authority of Jesus Christ because of the remission of sins.
What's my basis for this? Another verse on baptism to clear it up......

1Pt:3:21: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the
putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience
toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
If one has a clear conscience it is then that he gets baptized. To get a clear
conscience, one must repent of their sins, believe that Jesus is the Son of God
and IS God, believe that His shed blood on the cross is what paid the penalty
for our sins.

1Jn:1:7: But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship
one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all
sin.

> John 20:31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is
> the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life
> through his name.
> ^^^^
> Acts 4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all
> nor teach in the name of Jesus.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Acts 8:16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were
> baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of
> repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him
> which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
> Acts 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of
> the Lord Jesus. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Philippians 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of
> [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the
> earth;
>
> Colossians 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, [do] all in the
> name of the Lord Jesus,......
>
> * The false christian church refuses to "do all" in the name of Jesus. They
> refuse to baptise in the name of "Jesus". They refuse the NAME,
> while parroting the description of the name. *

Not so. For the Bible says.....Col:3:17: And whatsoever ye do in word or deed,
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by
him.

Interesting how Stevie "cuts off" the last part of that verse too above.

But those of us that believe the entire Bible, not just verses that we like like
the false Oneness preachers, understand that the phrase "in the name of" was not
and is not intended to be some kind of screwy formula. By making it a formula,
salvation stops being by Gods grace and instead relies on your preacher man
"saying the right words"

Be educated. Read the ENTIRE Bible, not just the verses the Oneness kooks like.

Todd

--
*****Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy*****
**Who would have guessed liberals are paranoid too? :)**

Rev. Steve Winter

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Swisher <Swi...@rocketmail.com> spake thusly and wrote:

>Indeed. To begin with, it's important to say that oneness kooks talk a lot about
>the Apostle Paul, but they never quote one verse about Paul.
>
>1Cor:1:17: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
>wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

The unrepentant anon false christian scum, Swisher, hopes that you are
ignorant of the context of that verse. Just to reaffirm what a liar Swisher
is, let us look at what Paul preached when the Ephesian Church was founded and
how they equated "belief in Jesus" to "baptism in Jesus Name". These false
christian slime sure are mightily concerned that someone would get baptised.

The Apostle Paul preached the Acts 2:38 message. Notice how it is referred
to as the word of the Lord Jesus.

Please examine carefully the account when Paul founded the Ephesian church.

Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth,
Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and
finding certain disciples,

Acts 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye
believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether
there be any Holy Ghost.

* Notice that "believers" did not yet have the Holy Ghost. *

Acts 19:3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And
they said, Unto John's baptism.

Notice that Paul immediately questioned the validity of their baptism. See
what filthy liars these dirt like Swisher are?

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of
repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him
which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

Acts 19:5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of
the Lord Jesus.

* Notice that they were re-baptised the Christian way in that name that
Swisher hates.

Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost
came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

* Notice that when they did receive the Holy Ghost that they spoke in tongues
just like every other real Christian. *

Acts 19:7 And all the men were about twelve.

Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the
space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning
the kingdom of God.

Acts 19:9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake
evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and
separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one
Tyrannus.

* They had those even back then who opposed the Acts 2:38 message. *

Acts 19:10 And this continued by the space of two years; so that all
they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews
and Greeks.

* Notice that Paul was preaching the word of the Lord Jesus. *

* Notice also the instructions Paul gave for dealing with any who
would preach otherwise. *

Galatians 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other
gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be
accursed.

* Notice the plan of salvation for as many as "our God" (Jesus) shall call. *

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one
of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye
shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to
all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Steve Winter 919-286-3606 PreRapture BBS DHST/V.34

--
-={ PreRapture BBS 919-286-2100 33600bps / Telnet to PRIME.ORG }=-
http://www.prime.org Home of the PRIME Christian Network

Are the false christians pitching fits because I call them names,
or because I am proving my allegations from their own Bibles?
(Check the web site for info as 3 god cults embrace canine morals.)

Swisher

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Rev. Steve Winter wrote:

> Swisher <Swi...@rocketmail.com> spake thusly and wrote:
>

> >Indeed. To begin with, it's important to say that oneness kooks talk a lot about
> >the Apostle Paul, but they never quote one verse about Paul.
> >
> >1Cor:1:17: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
> >wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
>

> The unrepentant anon false christian scum, Swisher, hopes that you are
> ignorant of the context of that verse.

A lot of nice words Steve, but you once again didn't explain what Paul was saying in
the verse above. You said I am ignorant of the context of the verse, but you never
explained *what* the correct context is.

1Cor:1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Paul clearly draws a distinction between the gospel and baptism. According to you
kooks, Acts 2:38 *is* the gospel, but not according to Paul.

As far as me hating baptism, or telling you to ignore Acts 2:38, neither accusation
is true. I hope people obey ALL of the Bible, but my wish is to make sure everyone
has a correct understanding of the verse you use so people aren't mislead.

You also seem to refuse to explain....

1Pt:3:21: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the
putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward
God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

You ought to be able to defend your views, but you don't. You just snip and paste
your usual *incorrect* sermon.

BASSENCO

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Swisher <Swi...@XYZrocketmail.com> wrote:
>Rev. Steve Winter wrote:

>> Swisher <Swi...@rocketmail.com> spake thusly and wrote:
>>

>> >Indeed. To begin with, it's important to say that oneness kooks talk a lot about
>> >the Apostle Paul, but they never quote one verse about Paul.
>> >
>> >1Cor:1:17: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
>> >wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
>>

>> The unrepentant anon false christian scum, Swisher, hopes that you are
>> ignorant of the context of that verse.

>A lot of nice words Steve, but you once again didn't explain what Paul was saying in
>the verse above. You said I am ignorant of the context of the verse, but you never
>explained *what* the correct context is.

>1Cor:1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
>wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

>Paul clearly draws a distinction between the gospel and baptism. According to you

>kooks, Acts 2:38 *is* the gospel, but not according to Paul.

>As far as me hating baptism, or telling you to ignore Acts 2:38, neither accusation
>is true. I hope people obey ALL of the Bible, but my wish is to make sure everyone
>has a correct understanding of the verse you use so people aren't mislead.

>You also seem to refuse to explain....

>1Pt:3:21: The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the

>putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward
>God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

>You ought to be able to defend your views, but you don't. You just snip and paste
>your usual *incorrect* sermon.

>Todd

Go Todd! ("Swish!") Keep proclaiming that salvation is by Christ
alone. Like you, I respect baptism as an act of profession and faith
in God, but it does not save.

And yes, I have discovered that if you really get thorough and do an
analysis of any given text, Steve can only reply with boiler plate
that is pasted from his other posts. I'm sorry for Steve, but it is
quite clear that he does not have a good grasp of the coherence and
unity of Scripture. The best way to defeat his arguments is to focus
on the entirety of the Scripture and how it presents the matchless
grace of Christ. That's the surest way to keep Acts 2:38 in context
and to demonstrate that baptism cannot earn salvation.

Keep posting! By the way, you got a bummer of a last name for a guy
who does not believe that water is effective in salvation! <hee hee>

Rev. Steve Winter

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Swisher <Swi...@XYZrocketmail.com> spake thusly and wrote:

>> >1Cor:1:17: For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
>> >wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
>>

>> The unrepentant anon false christian scum, Swisher, hopes that you are
>> ignorant of the context of that verse.
>
>A lot of nice words Steve, but you once again didn't explain what Paul was saying in
>the verse above. You said I am ignorant of the context of the verse, but you never
>explained *what* the correct context is.

The unrepentant anon false christian scum ignored the verses that prove him to
be a liar. In context we see that Paul simply let the local ministers do the
baptising lest any might feel that they had been baptised into Paul.

These filthy unrepentant false christian scum sure are afraid that someone
might obey the Bible. Dirt like "Swisher" are not your friend.

Let us again prove Swisher a liar from the Word of God:

1Cor 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of
Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not
whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Believing on Jesus includes being baptised in Jesus Name.

[...]

Mike (UPC)

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In article <6efbct$l...@camel20.mindspring.com>, BASSENCO (BASSENCO)
says...
> steve....@prime.org (Rev. Steve Winter) wrote:

> >>WHERE, oh WHERE in the text does Paul say he lets the local ministers
> >>do the baptizing? Please quote those words back to me. I would love
> >>to hear them.
>
> >The anon false christian scum BASSENCO simply did not quote the verses that
> >prove my point. So the same verses that showed the other anon false christian
> >scum to be a liar can be used to show this anon false christian scum to be a
> >liar.

> >1Cor 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of
> >Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
> > 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
> >name of Paul?
> > 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
> > 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
> > 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not
> >whether I baptized any other.
> > 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
> >wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
>
> WHERE in this text does he assure the reader that the local ministers
> baptize? WHERE does he even correct their view that being baptized by
> one person is better than being baptized by another? You would think
> that if they are so mistaken he would remind them that JESUS NAME
> BAPTISM saves, and it's the words that are important, not who does the
> actual baptism. But he doesn't. He just dismisses the whole thing by
> saying he's not baptizing any more. All he is saying is that he is no
> longer baptizing because it is a source of strife. He never "covers
> his bases" by saying that other ministers will take over for him. He
> just tosses it off.
>
> Clearly, Paul indicates in verse 17 that the gospel is far, far more
> important than baptism.

> Acts 2:38
Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in
the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive
the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 8:12
But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom
of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and
women.

Acts 8:16
(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in
the name of the Lord Jesus.)
Acts 10:48
And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed
they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 19:5
When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 22:16
And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy
sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 1:13
Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
name of Paul?
Galatians 3:27
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Mike P

BASSENCO

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

steve....@prime.org (Rev. Steve Winter) wrote:

>>> The unrepentant anon false christian scum, Swisher, hopes that you are
>>> ignorant of the context of that verse.
>>
>>A lot of nice words Steve, but you once again didn't explain what Paul was saying in
>>the verse above. You said I am ignorant of the context of the verse, but you never
>>explained *what* the correct context is.

>The unrepentant anon false christian scum ignored the verses that prove him to

>be a liar. In context we see that Paul simply let the local ministers do the
>baptising lest any might feel that they had been baptised into Paul.

WHERE, oh WHERE in the text does Paul say he lets the local ministers
do the baptizing? Please quote those words back to me. I would love
to hear them.

However, I do see that Paul clearly regards the cross as vital to
salvation, and baptism as NOT being vital; hence he dispenses with it.

Rev. Steve Winter

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

BASSENCO (BASSENCO) spake thusly and wrote:

>>The unrepentant anon false christian scum ignored the verses that prove him to
>>be a liar. In context we see that Paul simply let the local ministers do the
>>baptising lest any might feel that they had been baptised into Paul.
>
>WHERE, oh WHERE in the text does Paul say he lets the local ministers
>do the baptizing? Please quote those words back to me. I would love
>to hear them.

The anon false christian scum BASSENCO simply did not quote the verses that

prove my point. So the same verses that showed the other anon false christian
scum to be a liar can be used to show this anon false christian scum to be a
liar.

1Cor 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of
Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
name of Paul?
14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not
whether I baptized any other.

17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

Believing on Jesus includes being baptised in Jesus Name according to the
Bible.

Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul
having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain
disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And
they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy
Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said,
Unto John's baptism.

4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance,
saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come
after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

BASSENCO

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

steve....@prime.org (Rev. Steve Winter) wrote:

>BASSENCO (BASSENCO) spake thusly and wrote:

>>>The unrepentant anon false christian scum ignored the verses that prove him to
>>>be a liar. In context we see that Paul simply let the local ministers do the
>>>baptising lest any might feel that they had been baptised into Paul.
>>
>>WHERE, oh WHERE in the text does Paul say he lets the local ministers
>>do the baptizing? Please quote those words back to me. I would love
>>to hear them.

>The anon false christian scum BASSENCO simply did not quote the verses that
>prove my point. So the same verses that showed the other anon false christian
>scum to be a liar can be used to show this anon false christian scum to be a
>liar.

>1Cor 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of
>Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
> 13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
>name of Paul?
> 14 I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
> 15 Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name.
> 16 And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not
>whether I baptized any other.

> 17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with
>wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

WHERE in this text does he assure the reader that the local ministers

Mike (UPC)

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

In article <6ehd2j$i...@camel19.mindspring.com>, BASSENCO (BASSENCO)
says...

> mp...@reddragon.com (Mike (UPC)) wrote:
>

> >> WHERE in this text does he assure the reader that the local ministers
> >> baptize? WHERE does he even correct their view that being baptized by
> >> one person is better than being baptized by another? You would think
> >> that if they are so mistaken he would remind them that JESUS NAME
> >> BAPTISM saves, and it's the words that are important, not who does the
> >> actual baptism. But he doesn't. He just dismisses the whole thing by
> >> saying he's not baptizing any more. All he is saying is that he is no
> >> longer baptizing because it is a source of strife. He never "covers
> >> his bases" by saying that other ministers will take over for him. He
> >> just tosses it off.
>
> You have still not answered my questions above. In spite of the
> PREVIOUS importance attached to baptism, Paul does not attach
> importance to it.

> Clearly, Paul indicates in verse 17 that the gospel is far, far more
> important than baptism.
> >>
> >> Acts 2:38
> >Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in
> >the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive
> >the gift of the Holy Ghost.
> >Acts 8:12
> >But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom
> >of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and
> >women.
> >Acts 8:16
> >(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in
> >the name of the Lord Jesus.)
> >Acts 10:48
> >And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed
> >they him to tarry certain days.
> >Acts 19:5

> >When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
> >Acts 22:16
> >And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy
> >sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
> >1 Corinthians 1:13
> >Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
> >name of Paul?
>
> I'm not arguing that baptism did not exist or that it was not an
> ordinance of the church. It was. I maintain that water baptism DOES
> NOT SAVE. It DOES NOT GIVE ACCESS TO CHRIST.

> >Galatians 3:27
> >For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
BASSENCO, Anybody can disect the Bible to their own liking. Catholic'
s Mormons, etc. I know one thing, you don't love the Truth. Who taught
you Scriptures? What Church? I hope you're not a pastor teaching that
false doctrine you're spewing around. To bad, you seem to be a very
intelligent person. That has nothing to do with wisdom or being wise.You
don't need Holiness nor do you have to worship God in spirit or in truth
either. Right? Do you know what worshipping God in Spirit and in truth
is? By the way, I don't mean to offend anyone. Sorry. Mike P

Randell R. McCool

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Mike, I appreciate your not offending anyone. I wish Mr. Winter could
realize it is possible to get your point across and not offend another human
beings.
Mike (UPC) wrote in message ...

>In article <6ehd2j$i...@camel19.mindspring.com>, BASSENCO (BASSENCO)
>says...

>> You have still not answered my questions above. In spite of the
>> PREVIOUS importance attached to baptism, Paul does not attach
>> importance to it.
>>
>> Clearly, Paul indicates in verse 17 that the gospel is far, far more
>> important than baptism.

>> >Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in
>> >the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive
>> >the gift of the Holy Ghost.
>> >Acts 8:12
>> >But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the
kingdom
>> >of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and
>> >women.
>> >Acts 8:16
>> >(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in
>> >the name of the Lord Jesus.)
>> >Acts 10:48
>> >And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then
prayed
>> >they him to tarry certain days.
>> >Acts 19:5

>> >When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
>> >Acts 22:16
>> >And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy
>> >sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
>> >1 Corinthians 1:13
>> >Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in
the

BASSENCO

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

mp...@reddragon.com (Mike (UPC)) wrote:

>> WHERE in this text does he assure the reader that the local ministers
>> baptize? WHERE does he even correct their view that being baptized by
>> one person is better than being baptized by another? You would think
>> that if they are so mistaken he would remind them that JESUS NAME
>> BAPTISM saves, and it's the words that are important, not who does the
>> actual baptism. But he doesn't. He just dismisses the whole thing by
>> saying he's not baptizing any more. All he is saying is that he is no
>> longer baptizing because it is a source of strife. He never "covers
>> his bases" by saying that other ministers will take over for him. He
>> just tosses it off.

You have still not answered my questions above. In spite of the
PREVIOUS importance attached to baptism, Paul does not attach
importance to it.

Clearly, Paul indicates in verse 17 that the gospel is far, far more
important than baptism.

>> Acts 2:38
>Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in
>the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive
>the gift of the Holy Ghost.

>Acts 8:12
>But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom
>of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and
>women.

>Acts 8:16
>(For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in
>the name of the Lord Jesus.)

>Acts 10:48
>And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed
>they him to tarry certain days.

>Acts 19:5

>When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
>Acts 22:16
>And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy
>sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
>1 Corinthians 1:13

>Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the
>name of Paul?

I'm not arguing that baptism did not exist or that it was not an
ordinance of the church. It was. I maintain that water baptism DOES
NOT SAVE. It DOES NOT GIVE ACCESS TO CHRIST.

>Galatians 3:27
>For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

This verse is simply stating that as many as have been immersed in
Christ (NOT water) have put on Christ. Remember, the word
"baptize/baptism" is simply an anglicized Greek word for "immerse" or
"cleanse" or "wash." It doesn't always mean water baptism. It can
mean being washed in anything or it can mean being immersed in
anything. For the most obvious use of the word that has nothing to do
with being immersed in water, see I Corinthians 10:1-2: "Moreover,
Brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our
fathers were under the cloud and all passed through the sea; (2) and
were all **BAPTIZED** unto Moses in the cloud and the sea;(3) and did
all eat the same spiritual meat etc.

The word seems to be stating the idea of being united to Moses or made
the same thing; ie, they saw the same glorious events, ate the same
heavenly food, witnessed the presence of God together, and thus were
united to Moses. It has absolutely nothng to do with the meaning that
you insist must always be associated with the word baptism: ie,
dunked in water.