Stomp BackUp MyPC senstive to interruption?

1 view

Charles Calvert

Mar 2, 2003, 3:30:52 PM3/2/03
All,

I've test-driven the eval version of Stomp's BackUp MyPC. My setup
is:

WinXP Pro
Source: 2 10K RPM IBM 36 gig on Adaptec 2100S RAID controller (set for
RAID 1)
Target: WD400 40 gig 7200 RPM EIDE

The software seems to be sensitive to interruptions from other
programs while running; it backs up the data successfully, but fails
during the verification. I disabled my anti-virus program, turned off
the firewall, etc. However, there are still a number of standard
WinXP background processes going.

I've had similar problems with older versions of the software from
Seagate when used with a Travan tape drive under Win95. In that case,
I was able to work around it by killing all processes except Explorer
and Systray. Frankly, it's a pain and things aren't quite as simple
under XP.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

--
Charles Calvert | Software Design/Development
Celtic Wolf, Inc. | Project Management

Louise

Mar 2, 2003, 11:18:35 PM3/2/03
In article <d2q46v4v3k9eig280...@4ax.com>, cb...@yahoo.com
says...

> All,
>
> I've test-driven the eval version of Stomp's BackUp MyPC. My setup
> is:
>
> WinXP Pro
> Source: 2 10K RPM IBM 36 gig on Adaptec 2100S RAID controller (set for
> RAID 1)
> Target: WD400 40 gig 7200 RPM EIDE
>
> The software seems to be sensitive to interruptions from other
> programs while running; it backs up the data successfully, but fails
> during the verification. I disabled my anti-virus program, turned off
> the firewall, etc. However, there are still a number of standard
> WinXP background processes going.
>
> I've had similar problems with older versions of the software from
> Seagate when used with a Travan tape drive under Win95. In that case,
> I was able to work around it by killing all processes except Explorer
> and Systray. Frankly, it's a pain and things aren't quite as simple
> under XP.
>
> Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

I used to use this program (when I backed up to CDRs) and found that it
reported errors when verifying with programs that were running - but
verification completed. This was with XP Home as well as 98SE before
that.

I now use Dantz Retrospect and an external USB 2.0 drive. Dantz also
reports errors in running programs, for example, prefetch, Norton
Firewall etc., but it always completes backup and verification. I'm
quite happy with it.

Louise

Howard Kaikow

Mar 3, 2003, 1:41:25 PM3/3/03
What do you mean by "fails during the verification"?

If you have other tasks running, those tasks are likely to cause files to
change and BUMP will detect some/all of those changed files during a verify.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
"Charles Calvert" <cb...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Charles Calvert

Mar 4, 2003, 9:49:07 AM3/4/03
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:41:25 -0500, "Howard Kaikow"
<kai...@standards.com> wrote in <b407he$7q7$1...@pyrite.mv.net>:

>What do you mean by "fails during the verification"?

It reports a "stream error (6146 1802)" and aborts the verification.

Howard Kaikow

Louise

Mar 18, 2003, 10:40:34 PM3/18/03
In article <b407he$7q7$1...@pyrite.mv.net>, kai...@standards.com says...
I mean that it suddenly can't read a disk - says the disk is damaged.

Louise