A driving issue

gustavo

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
So if I'm looking at late 80's/early 90's 911's, what engine
characteristics am I looking at with regard to horsepower, torque,
displacement, etc. The 968 has a 236 hp, 225lb-ft torque, 3 liter
engine, and produced a pretty impressive .93 g on a skid pad, last time
I checked. Pretty potent for a 4 cylinder. Can the '87-'91 year old
911s compete?

Gustavo

Chris Brown

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
A late 80's 911 will outperform any 986 in almost any category, assuming you
outfit with good tires and the condition of the car is ok. Any "C2" 911
(1990 +) will EASILY outperform a 986, even for an inexperienced Porsche
driver.

The 986 is easier to drive at 75% to 100% but a well driven 911, (1984 +)
will outrun a 986.

986 will be a better "value" since a pristine 986 with very lo miles will
cost the same as a late 80's 911 with hi miles and fair condition.

Also, remember that in 10 years a 911 will be called a 911 and a 986 will be
called a nice experiment.

gustavo <gus...@BxSolutions.com> wrote in message

E. Egon Rinderer

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
986 or 968?
Chris Brown <ctb...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Chuck Grieb

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
The late '80's 911 developed something like 217 HP, vs. the 236 of the
968. However the late '80's 911 weighed somewhere around 2800-2900 lbs.
whereas the curb weight of a 968 is something like 3086 lbs. The 968
has an even 50/50 weight distribution, resulting in an very well
balanced car, the 911 (39/61 weight distribution , I believe) will be
more difficult to learn to drive fast, and will require greater
attention when in a corner (don't lift off the throttle!). The 968 is a
more modern car, Power steering and brakes, 6-speed transmission (even
has the tiptronic auto as an option), etc. I've seen 0-60 times on both
cars as being about 6.0 sec. Take a look at 968.net for more 968 info,
and rennlist.org for all models of Porsche info. I find the 968 to be a
very attractive car (cab looks better than the coupe), but I've never
driven one (I have driven a Carrera 3.2, a Boxtser, 993's, a 996, and
presently own a 964). Best thing to do would be to test drive both,
and decide what you want out of the car, the raw, more primitive feel
and challenge of the 911, or the more contemporary, and extremely
competent 968.

Good luck shopping!

Chuck

>Thanks for the input. I know the 968 will never be historical like the
911.
>But you have to admit it's not a bad first Porsche. However, if I
could get a
>911 in great shape, I wouldn't hesitate! If anyone sees one 89-94, low
miles,
>please let me know.

>Gustavo

Chuck Grieb

Aug 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/4/99
Just remembered, take a look at
http://home.att.net/~mdebeque/Four.html . This page was put together by
a guy shopping for a Porsche, he evaluates each car that he test drove,
including the 968, 911 SC, 911 Carrera 3.2, his former 944 turbo, and
the 964 C4 which he bought. This may help with some insight.

Chuck

Gustavo

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99

One Actor1

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
<< know the 968 will never be historical like the 911. >>

I'm getting confused here guys...one of you is posting about a 986 (WHICH IS
THE DESIGNATION # OF THE BOXSTER.) and the other is talking about the 968
(PORSCHE'S LAST 4 CYLINDER PRODUCTION CAR, AND EVOLUTION OF THE 944.) So which
is it??

Dralwhite

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
>A late 80's 911 will outperform any 986 in almost any category, assuming you
>outfit with good tires and the condition of the car is ok. Any "C2" 911
>(1990 +) will EASILY outperform a 986, even for an inexperienced Porsche
>driver.
>
>The 986 is easier to drive at 75% to 100% but a well driven 911, (1984 +)
>will outrun a 986.
>
>986 will be a better "value" since a pristine 986 with very lo miles will
>cost the same as a late 80's 911 with hi miles and fair condition.
>
>Also, remember that in 10 years a 911 will be called a 911 and a 986 will be
>called a nice experiment.

what the heck are you talking about? 986? i assume that you mean a 968...as
that's how this post started. i suggest that you go and check on some posted
numbers. and i think that you will find that the 968 whipped but on many a 911
up until the 90's. BTW, i don't recall any 80's 911's passing me at mid-ohio;
in fact i passed an old 911 turbo with slick coming out of the corkscrews and
down the backstraightaway. perhaps this heat has gone to your head and your
NEED A LITTLE WATER COOLING to help you think...

regards

alan

Dralwhite

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
well said....

Gustavo

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Alan,

What is it you're driving to leave 911s behind you? So are you saying the 968
(which is the car we're talking about, not the 986) is faster than late 80s/early
90s 911s?

Gustavo

Gustavo

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
We're talking about the 968 not the 986.

Gustavo

Gustavo

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Driving both these cars will have to be my solution. I'll be scanning the
net for anything nearby that I can test drive. If anyone sees a sample
worth purchasing, please let me know through the NG or email me.

Thanks,

Gustavo

Chuck Grieb wrote:

> The late '80's 911 developed something like 217 HP, vs. the 236 of the
> 968. However the late '80's 911 weighed somewhere around 2800-2900 lbs.
> whereas the curb weight of a 968 is something like 3086 lbs. The 968
> has an even 50/50 weight distribution, resulting in an very well
> balanced car, the 911 (39/61 weight distribution , I believe) will be
> more difficult to learn to drive fast, and will require greater
> attention when in a corner (don't lift off the throttle!). The 968 is a
> more modern car, Power steering and brakes, 6-speed transmission (even
> has the tiptronic auto as an option), etc. I've seen 0-60 times on both
> cars as being about 6.0 sec. Take a look at 968.net for more 968 info,
> and rennlist.org for all models of Porsche info. I find the 968 to be a
> very attractive car (cab looks better than the coupe), but I've never
> driven one (I have driven a Carrera 3.2, a Boxtser, 993's, a 996, and
> presently own a 964). Best thing to do would be to test drive both,
> and decide what you want out of the car, the raw, more primitive feel
> and challenge of the 911, or the more contemporary, and extremely
> competent 968.
>
> Good luck shopping!
>
> Chuck
>

> >Thanks for the input. I know the 968 will never be historical like the
> 911.

> >But you have to admit it's not a bad first Porsche. However, if I
> could get a
> >911 in great shape, I wouldn't hesitate! If anyone sees one 89-94, low
> miles,
> >please let me know.
>
> >Gustavo
>

> >Chris Brown wrote:
>
> > A late 80's 911 will outperform any 986 in almost any category,
> assuming you
> > outfit with good tires and the condition of the car is ok. Any "C2"
> 911
> > (1990 +) will EASILY outperform a 986, even for an inexperienced
> Porsche
> > driver.
> >
> > The 986 is easier to drive at 75% to 100% but a well driven 911, (1984
> +)
> > will outrun a 986.
> >
> > 986 will be a better "value" since a pristine 986 with very lo miles
> will
> > cost the same as a late 80's 911 with hi miles and fair condition.
> >
> > Also, remember that in 10 years a 911 will be called a 911 and a 986
> will be
> > called a nice experiment.

Dralwhite

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
>Alan,
>
>What is it you're driving to leave 911s behind you? So are you saying the
>968
>(which is the car we're talking about, not the 986) is faster than late
>80s/early
>90s 911s?

968...6 speed...check posted times and you will see the differences. better yet
check a 951s for some major differences. they were blowing everybody away on
the track.

alan

gustavo

Aug 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/5/99
Are you speeding around in a 968 coupe or convertible? Do you think there is a
major difference in the handling of the two?

Gustavo

Dralwhite

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99
>Are you speeding around in a 968 coupe or convertible? Do you think there is
>major difference in the handling of the two?
>
>Gustavo

Pretty hard for me to say here, as i have only driven a couple coupes (my
selection) and 2 cabs. and i can only say that while the coupes felt
tighter,....the cabs themselves felt very differant from one another.one in
particular was extremely slow. and for no help what so ever: i didn't see one
at the track. so i'm not much good for advice here Gutavo.

Gustavo

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99
Chuck,

Great find! Lots of great info. Thanks.

Gustavo

George Williams

Aug 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/6/99
to Dralwhite
Be advised the coupe will handle and (I think) hold up a lot better than the cab.
A great deal of the torsional rigidity disappears along with the roof. The cab
even includes stiffeners in the pockets between the rear wheels and rear bumper
(among other places) to combat the loss of rigidity and the "booming" sensation
one feels when driving with the top down.

By the way, Mr. Grieb, I couldn't have said it better. I own a 1990 944S2 (coupe)
and delight in passing late model 911s (even a lot of poorly driven 993s) at our
local track (Summit Point). They're all, in my opinion, great cars, but I get
tired of hearing the BS about how great 911s are simply because they're 911s. Some
of the older ones are pretty dreadful.

Even though I'm buying a 996 I know I'll miss my 944 greatly. It's an incredibly
durable, practical, reasonably fast car with superlative handling- and it sure has
taught me alot. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that car (or the even better
968) to anyone over most 911s built prior to 1988... but it depends on the type of
driving experience you prefer and the depths of your wallet.

Gustavo

Aug 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/7/99
Thanks for you input George. I think the depth of wallet issue will be determining
what Porsche I purchase. As I search, it's looking more and more like I will be
getting a 968 and maintaining a winter car.

Gustavo

Lisieux

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
The 968's are now cheap, but then as always, you get what you pay for. The
911, although it may be older (for the same price) is a Porsche signature,
the 968 is really nothing more than an oddity that appeals to "me too" types
and cheapskates. I say that you either do it properly, or not at all. The
968 is cheap for a reason - they are extinct!

Gustavo <Gus...@BxSolutions.com> wrote in message

Jharry80

Aug 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/13/99
<<The
968 is cheap for a reason - they are extinct!>>

Yea but 962s are extinct too and they are not cheap or for cheapskates. As
I see it that was a car that was "done right". Maybe you could again explain
why models go extinct???

Jay

Lisieux

Aug 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/14/99
They go extinct due to market forces really. Porsche has always been defined
by the 911. If you asked anyone to draw a Porsche, they would most likely
sketch a 911. It's a shape that people know best. Why? It's hard to say, but
it's hard to deny it.
Jharry80 <jhar...@aol.com> wrote in message