Farewell to my Aurora...

m...@privacy.net

Mar 23, 2004, 2:09:44 PM3/23/04
Last week, when my 97 Aurora was in getting it's THIRD A/C compressor,
I got a bad call from the mechanic... The head gasket went bad and
the engine was sucking coolant on the #5 cylinder. I *knew* something
wasn't right when my coolant went low for no apparent reason and I
couldn't see anything wrong externally on the car and no puddles.
What was a slow leak had become a *big* leak.

The cost to replace the gaskets was US$4400 *minimum*. A new *engine*
would have been almost USD$8000!!! The car's KBB low value was
US$3500. I think at that point it was a no-brainer to get rid of the
thing.

Looking back, that car was the biggest LEMON I have ever bought...
Here's a list of parts that had to be replaced during the 6 years I
owned the car. I've put the cost down where I could remember it.

- 1 Water pump
- 1 Delco/BOSE stereo USD$1600
- 1 Driver Information Center (that thing that displays your milage,
etc) USD$2000
- 2 A/C Compressors USD$2000 (each)
- 1 Alternator
- 1 Signal indicator switch that sent a short through the car and
ended up costing me almost USD$2000 *alone* to fix.

I got 1500 for it on trade and bought a Buick Century. A car that has
been very highly rated and was *consistantly* held in high favor among
local car service shops in my area... Looking back, I could have paid
CASH for the Century with what I've paid in *service* for the last few
years on the Aurora. I also have a 98 chevy cavalier.. in the 5
years I've owned that I've put all of about 1500 bucks into it..
Definitely a better purchase on my part...

Olds... I'm glad you're shutting down. Quality is obviously NOT a
priority.

lkng4chubs

Mar 23, 2004, 7:01:35 PM3/23/04
You actually spent all that money on getting those things fixed? You spent
$1600 dollars on a bose stereo? Are you nutty? You could have gone to best
buy and got an after market CD/DVD/GPS system with speakers and subs that
would have blown that bose system out of the water.

Yes, Oldsmobile made a few lemons here and there, but I think you're parents
forgot to add brains to your skull...

"dav...@codethought.nospamforme.com" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 24, 2004, 11:24:39 AM3/24/04
lkng4chubs wrote:

> You actually spent all that money on getting those things fixed? You spent
> $1600 dollars on a bose stereo? Are you nutty? You could have gone to best
> buy and got an after market CD/DVD/GPS system with speakers and subs that
> would have blown that bose system out of the water.

Well, first.. you smacktard - you can't put just ANYthing into a
luxury-class car. You can't replace the stereo with
whatever-the-hell-you-want because on the Aurora the stereo is
integrated with the Driver Information Center.

Secondly, I will admit that some of those were, in fact, warranty
replacements - including the stereo... Because you are right.. I'd
*never* have paid for that out-of-pocket...

Lastly, when you're still paying for the car its a little difficult to
decide you're just not going to fix those things.. Otherwise I'd have
dumped it long ago. I decided instead to drive it to death after I paid
it off - rather than have another car payment. I just hoped 'death'
would take a little longer, considering it had the famed "northstar
engine" in it...

> Yes, Oldsmobile made a few lemons here and there, but I think you're parents
> forgot to add brains to your skull...

Yea I'm sure you're all that in your blinged-out 76 pinto....

lkng4chubs

Mar 25, 2004, 7:10:33 PM3/25/04
LMFAO, blinged-out? Nah, I don't think so...

I have a 2002 Alero SVT. Worth a lot more than your Aurora brand new when
your shit wasn't jacked.

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 25, 2004, 11:53:06 PM3/25/04
lkng4chubs wrote:

> LMFAO, blinged-out? Nah, I don't think so...
>
> I have a 2002 Alero SVT. Worth a lot more than your Aurora brand new when
> your shit wasn't jacked.

ooooh... An Alero... *bows before your bigness*...

not.

lkng4chubs

Mar 26, 2004, 1:01:26 AM3/26/04
not just any Alero... an SVT

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

m...@privacy.net

Mar 26, 2004, 9:45:51 AM3/26/04
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:01:26 -0600, "lkng4chubs"
<prada...@charter.net> wrote:

>not just any Alero... an SVT

So? Might as well have said the Pinto Limited Edition for all I
care... :P

Olds sucks... I'm glad they're dying...

NiseKufinDave

Mar 26, 2004, 10:01:59 AM3/26/04
Hey chubby..

Lemme know if this happens to you... Read the part on the Alero...

http://showcase.netins.net/web/tiptontempo/Common03/2003-12-20.htm

Here's more details:

http://www.alero.info/

Yea the Alero is real quality ride... You'd have been better off with
the Pinto...

Lee Richardson

Mar 26, 2004, 10:26:22 AM3/26/04
I own a standard issue '99 Alero V6 GL whatever with a lot of options on it.
I bought it used because the resale value on GM and other "domestic" cars is
so dismal as to make used ones very affordable. They are a poor value
new, but a good value used. Just the reverse of a Toyota or Honda, where
they are a good value new, but they are so expensive used that they are a
poor value there. I am very happy with my Alero, more than I thought I
would be when I bought it. Good power, great fuel economy, body seems
tight and solid, dash has so many lights it looks like a pinball machine
when you start it up at night. If it turns to crap in two more years, so
what?

Lee Richardson

lkng4chubs

Mar 26, 2004, 11:39:49 AM3/26/04
I don't understand you're facinations with Pintos. Either you miss this car
dearly, or your parents are still driving one.

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 26, 2004, 12:20:06 PM3/26/04
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:39:49 -0600, "lkng4chubs"
<prada...@charter.net> wrote:

>I don't understand you're facinations with Pintos. Either you miss this car
>dearly, or your parents are still driving one.

Your mother said she still enjoys hers....

NiseKufinDave

Mar 26, 2004, 12:24:56 PM3/26/04
On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:26:22 -0600, "Lee Richardson"
<mech...@sigecom.net> wrote:

>I bought it used because the resale value on GM and other "domestic" cars is
>so dismal as to make used ones very affordable. They are a poor value
>new, but a good value used.

I think you make an excellent point here. I just bought a Buick
century for my wife to use for the kid hauler... It's an 03.. still
has much of the 3/36 warranty on it, I extended that to 100k.. and
still got away for less than 12k (with trading in my lemon of an
Aurora)....

Oh well.. lesson learned I suppose... I knew it was a mistake to buy
that damn Aurora, but did it anyway. I just came here to vent.. I
mean it was such a lemon that it surprised me... The Cavalier I have
tho, I bought used and it's continued to be a great car... Very low
maintenance...

Looking4Chubbies can pop off all he wants - I figure he's just pissed
because he couldn't afford a *used* Aurora.. ;)

lkng4chubs

Mar 26, 2004, 2:31:45 PM3/26/04
My mother passed away 4 years ago asshole

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 26, 2004, 8:24:07 PM3/26/04
lkng4chubs wrote:
> My mother passed away 4 years ago asshole

Pot.. kettle.. black...

lkng4chubs

Mar 26, 2004, 11:59:33 PM3/26/04
You need some, They make good popcorn, and are you racist?

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 27, 2004, 1:01:48 AM3/27/04
You really *are* a retard, y'know that? I'll translate what I *meant*
earlier, smacktard...

"*Now* look who's calling who an asshole. I come here to vent about a
shitty car, and all you can do is rag on me? Fuck you. Hope your mom
is enjoying her pinto, asshole."

lkng4chubs

Mar 28, 2004, 4:17:33 PM3/28/04
Welcome to power of the Internet!

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 28, 2004, 11:45:08 PM3/28/04
Whatever...

lkng4chubs

Mar 29, 2004, 4:20:20 AM3/29/04
exactly....

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 29, 2004, 9:29:43 AM3/29/04
It's killing ya to try to get the last word isn't it?

lkng4chubs

Mar 29, 2004, 11:44:46 AM3/29/04
hmmmm... no, not really. It's just that I have a lot of free time on my
hands and I get to check this froup often. Eventually I won't respond.
Hey, how's your Pinto driving?

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 29, 2004, 3:49:55 PM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:44:46 -0600, "lkng4chubs"
<prada...@charter.net> wrote:

>hmmmm... no, not really. It's just that I have a lot of free time on my
>hands

That much is painfully obvious.

>Eventually I won't respond.

I can only hope...

>Hey, how's your Pinto driving?

Never owned one. But they were kinda an interesting POS in their own
right... The ghett0 crowd sure seemed to like blinging those out in
their day as well as the Escort later on...

lkng4chubs

Mar 29, 2004, 5:37:23 PM3/29/04
> Never owned one. But they were kinda an interesting POS in their own
> right... The ghett0 crowd sure seemed to like blinging those out in
> their day as well as the Escort later on...

LMFAO... My ghetto ass neighbor has Ford Festiva with a wing on the top and
Rims that are worth more than the car itself!

"NiseKufinDave" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

NiseKufinDave

Mar 29, 2004, 4:41:23 PM3/29/04
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:37:23 -0600, "lkng4chubs"
<prada...@charter.net> wrote:

>> Never owned one. But they were kinda an interesting POS in their own
>> right... The ghett0 crowd sure seemed to like blinging those out in
>> their day as well as the Escort later on...
>
>LMFAO... My ghetto ass neighbor has Ford Festiva with a wing on the top and
>Rims that are worth more than the car itself!

See?!? That's exactly what I mean.... :D

lkng4chubs

Mar 29, 2004, 8:12:38 PM3/29/04
Ok, you made me laugh, you can have the last word