SRS warning light on 2002 Honda Civic EX

CrossfaceWalls

Jan 26, 2007, 11:59:55 PM1/26/07
I just purchased a 2002 Honda Civic EX with 33,000 miles on it. I
bought it from a non-Honda dealer, but as they were doing the
inspection to update me for two years, they realized the seat belt had
a problem and the SRS light was on. They had me bring it to the nearest
Honda dealer to fix the belt free of charge, but when it was over, the
light was still on and now they tell me they need to replace the chip
that tells the computer to shut the light off. I'm going back next week
when the part comes in. The counter person at the service desk told me
it was covered, but I wasn't assured because she didn't seem very on
the ball, and I've heard that the computer and lights associated with
the SRS system don't fall under the "lifetime seat belt warranty".

I'm gearing up for a fight as I've already paid enough for the car that
it should be able to pass inspection without me sinking another $100 to
$300 dollars into it, and this is a KNOWN problem with these
cars.......but if anyone else can just assure me that you've had this
issue and the Honda dealer won't give me a hard time just because I
didn't buy it with them....

Tegger

Jan 27, 2007, 10:31:10 AM1/27/07
"CrossfaceWalls" <Crossfa...@aol.com> wrote in

There's at least one TSB for the SRS system for your car (02-034).

What were the _specific_ error codes the dealer recorded?

Did the dealer check for any other TSBs?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

TomP

Jan 27, 2007, 10:45:23 AM1/27/07
Without the SRS DTC, this conversation is pointless.

CrossfaceWalls wrote:

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

G-Man

Jan 27, 2007, 11:31:28 PM1/27/07
Okay, on mine and my car-pool partners 2001 accord, same problem. SRS light
on. Found out it was a seatbelt on both. Dealer said it wasn't covered. I
paid for a different mechanic to replace. I find out 8 months later that
they are supposed to replace it free. I contacted Honda and both of us
received a check for the repair from Honda!

BTW, there is a plug and a reset procedure to turn the light off. It throws
NO codes on an OBD II. Nor can it be reset with it.

Here is the procedure I used to reset it:

1st you need to either buy or make the "SCS Service Connector." I used a
speaker harness for and older Honda which you can buy at a local stereo shop
such as Circuit City or Best Buy, and cut the wires and looped them
together. You can also use a paperclip but that will make it a little more
difficult because you have to connect it and disconnect it a few times
quickly.

2nd you need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector.

It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the fuse
box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the
process of erasing the memory. NOTE: This will only reset your SRS System if
what caused it to trigger has been fixed, Ex: turning the ignition on with
any SRS Plugs disconnected, such as pulling your seat out.

1.. Turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES
Plug,

2.. Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds
then go off.

3.. Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds
after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.

4.. Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds
after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.

5.. Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds.
SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.

6.. Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and
light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light,
congrats.

If it does not work the first time try it again, the timing has to be
perfect. It worked for me the 1st time using a paper clip on my 96 del sol.
Remember if u do it right it will blink two times and then go off.

G-Man

CrossfaceWalls

Jan 30, 2007, 4:48:14 PM1/30/07

Well, it was all fixed, no questions asked, although I guess that had
as much to do with the other dealer looking to complete the sale
smoothly.