Which movie was on the screen when Oswald was busted?

King Daevid MacKenzie

Apr 5, 2007, 9:55:49 PM4/5/07
...over in alt.obituaries I saw yesterday where Burt Topper, director of
WAR IS HELL, just died. Of course, WAR IS HELL was one of the two pictures
playing at the Texas Theater on the afternoon of November 22, 1963; the
other was CRY OF BATTLE. My question -- which of the two was being
screened when the Oswald arrest took place? I figure someone here should
know...

--
King Daevid MacKenzie.
No brag, just fact.

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 6, 2007, 2:46:31 AM4/6/07
On 5 Apr 2007 21:55:49 -0400, King Daevid MacKenzie
<echoes...@charter.net> wrote:

>...over in alt.obituaries I saw yesterday where Burt Topper, director of
>WAR IS HELL, just died. Of course, WAR IS HELL was one of the two pictures
>playing at the Texas Theater on the afternoon of November 22, 1963; the
>other was CRY OF BATTLE. My question -- which of the two was being
>screened when the Oswald arrest took place? I figure someone here should
>know...

CRY OF BATTLE was up first and started at 1pm, as I recall ... so that
would be the one playing when Oswald entered the theater and when he
was arrested.

Thanks for stopping by,
Barb :-)

King Daevid MacKenzie

Apr 6, 2007, 10:23:29 AM4/6/07
Barb Junkkarinen quotes me 'n sez:
...over in alt.obituaries I saw yesterday where Burt Topper, director of
WAR IS HELL, just died. Of course, WAR IS HELL was one of the two pictures
playing at the Texas Theater on the afternoon of November 22, 1963; the
other was CRY OF BATTLE. My question -- which of the two was being
screened when the Oswald arrest took place? I figure someone here should
know...

CRY OF BATTLE was up first and started at 1pm, as I recall ... so that
would be the one playing when Oswald entered the theater and when he
was arrested.

Thanks for stopping by,
Barb :-)

...thanx for the info...

David Von Pein

Apr 6, 2007, 10:45:26 AM4/6/07
Here's a cute little "DID YOU KNOW?" hunk of trivia re. actor Van
Heflin......

Heflin starred in two war films with virtually the same title --
1955's "BATTLE CRY" and the film Oswald snuck into, 1963's "CRY OF
BATTLE". .....

http://imdb.com/title/tt0047860/

http://imdb.com/title/tt0056967/

=============================

Off-Topic (but Heflin-related).....

And then there's my favorite Van Heflin flick -- 1970's "AIRPORT", in
which Van blows himself to smithereens at 35,000 feet with a homemade
bomb on board a Boeing 707 jetliner.

Incredibly, "Airport" was rated "G" (for General Audiences), despite
people being blown to bits by bombs, three cases of adultery being
exhibited, multiple instances of salty language, and "abortion" being
discussed candidly. Unbelievable. :) .....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/discussions/start-thread.html/ref=cm_rdp_dp/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00005B1Y0&authorID=A1FDW1SPYKB354&store=yourstore&reviewID=R3L0G33LZ5LV47&displayType=ReviewDetail

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/discussions/start-thread.html/ref=cm_rdp_dp/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0009L94IY&authorID=A1FDW1SPYKB354&store=yourstore&reviewID=RPRHF477J99XN&displayType=ReviewDetail

(See, I'm not just long-winded about the JFK case only. My ramblings
run in several directions. You should hear me on "The Dick Van Dyke
Show", the best TV comedy ever aired.) :)

Peter Fokes

Apr 6, 2007, 10:59:19 AM4/6/07

I have this film, CRY OF BATTLE in my collection of films from 1963.

Now all I need is an old movie theater seat, some popcorn, a large
dark room and a few people to serve as other "paying" customers and a
few folks impersonating cops to reenact the whole scene. We'll use toy
guns.

Sneaking into the basement to watch it will be easy if I don't trip
over one of my two cats guarding the doorway.

"It's all over now!"

PF

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 6, 2007, 2:06:28 PM4/6/07
On 6 Apr 2007 10:23:29 -0400, King Daevid MacKenzie
<echoes...@charter.net> wrote:

>Barb Junkkarinen quotes me 'n sez:
>>> ...over in alt.obituaries I saw yesterday where Burt Topper, director of
>>> WAR IS HELL, just died. Of course, WAR IS HELL was one of the two pictures
>>> playing at the Texas Theater on the afternoon of November 22, 1963; the
>>> other was CRY OF BATTLE. My question -- which of the two was being
>>> screened when the Oswald arrest took place? I figure someone here should
>>> know...
>>>

>> CRY OF BATTLE was up first and started at 1pm, as I recall ... so that
>> would be the one playing when Oswald entered the theater and when he
>> was arrested.
>>
>> Thanks for stopping by,
>> Barb :-)
>
>...thanx for the info...

Well, hope I didn't steer you wrong, someone else has now reported it
was the other way around, so ....

Barb :-)

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 6, 2007, 2:07:33 PM4/6/07
On 6 Apr 2007 10:45:26 -0400, "David Von Pein" <davev...@aol.com>
wrote:

Dick Van Dyke, eh? You must not be such a bad guy. :-) Love the
walnuts coming out of the closet episode ....

Barb :-)

Peter Fokes

Apr 6, 2007, 2:36:22 PM4/6/07

We all love him ... David VP that is .... even though he can be
aggravating at times.

I see they have recently released the TV series "Diagnosis Murder" on
DVD starring an older Dick Van Dyke.

PF

David Von Pein

Apr 6, 2007, 4:02:25 PM4/6/07
>>> "Dick Van Dyke, eh? You must not be such a bad guy. :-) Love the walnuts coming out of the closet episode." <<<

Ahhh, another D. Van Dyke fan, eh? Good to see!

The walnut episode ("It May Look Like A Walnut") is one of my faves
too.

BTW, the Van Dyke Show was in production on 11/22/63. The cast was
rehearsing on the set for the (somewhat subpar) episode called "Happy
Birthday And Too Many More", when the prop man came onto the set and
told Carl Reiner and Co., "He's been shot".

Carl replied: "Who's been shot?"

Glenn Ross (prop man): "The President.....Kennedy."

They ceased the rehearsal and went home. That episode was filmed on
Tues., Nov. 26th....and was one of the very few eps. not filmed in
front of a live audience (due to the assassination, Reiner didn't feel
that anybody would in the mood to laugh).

I attribute the assassination to part of the reason for that
"Birthday" episode being one of the weakest in the whole 5-year run of
that classic TV series.

=======================

Van Dyke-related trivialities that nobody except a (lone) nut(ter)
would have thought of: ~wink~

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/discussions/start-thread.html/ref=cm_rdp_dp/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000AYNG0C&authorID=A1FDW1SPYKB354&store=yourstore&reviewID=R2ASYSV2JG2VR4&displayType=ReviewDetail

=======================

tomnln

Apr 6, 2007, 4:03:50 PM4/6/07
http://whokilledjfk.net/you_asked_for_it.htm

That Texas Theater movie add is from the Dallas Times Herald dated 11/22/63.

Showing show times for both movies.

"Barb Junkkarinen" <barbRE...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 6, 2007, 9:54:50 PM4/6/07
On 6 Apr 2007 16:03:50 -0400, "tomnln" <tom...@cox.net> wrote:

>http://whokilledjfk.net/you_asked_for_it.htm
>
>That Texas Theater movie add is from the Dallas Times Herald dated 11/22/63.
>
>Showing show times for both movies.

Sounds like the best source to me ...

Thx,
Barb :-)

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 6, 2007, 9:57:20 PM4/6/07
On 6 Apr 2007 16:02:25 -0400, "David Von Pein" <davev...@aol.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Well, you really are a fan ... a knowledgeable one! Interesting. I di
love the show ... a definite goldie oldie How do you feel about I Love
Lucy?

Barb :-)

David Von Pein

Apr 6, 2007, 11:25:59 PM4/6/07
>>> "I see they have recently released the TV series "Diagnosis Murder" on
DVD starring an older Dick Van Dyke." <<<

Yes, I noted that too. Although I'm not a big fan of that series, so I'm
not collecting those on DVD.

But "DVD-on-DVD", of course, is another matter. :) .....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionboard/discussion.html/ref=cm_rdp_st_rd/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000H1CV9K&store=yourstore&cdThread=Tx4ZKC6BVNKNL8&reviewID=R17V07WTE77EQS&displayType=ReviewDetail

----------------

BTW, to keep these "Van Dyke" posts on topic re. JFK, you can check out
the multiple "JFK/Van Dyke Show Tie-ins" near the end of this review I did
for the Season-One DVD-on-DVD boxed set..... :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/discussions/start-thread.html/ref=cm_rdp_dp/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00009VRF0&authorID=A1FDW1SPYKB354&store=yourstore&reviewID=R3D45394CQTX48&displayType=ReviewDetail

David Von Pein

Apr 6, 2007, 11:51:25 PM4/6/07
>>> "How do you feel about I Love Lucy?" <<<

Love it. I have all 6 seasons on DVD. (Plus a few episodes of the
follow-up hour-long "Lucy" series, "THE LUCY-DESI COMEDY HOUR", on
VHS.).....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/discussions/start-thread.html/ref=cm_rdp_dp/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000E6EJWK&authorID=A1FDW1SPYKB354&store=yourstore&reviewID=R1VLHS2KHOOX5G&displayType=ReviewDetail

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/discussions/start-thread.html/ref=cm_rdp_dp/002-2065385-6525668?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0007TKHF2&authorID=A1FDW1SPYKB354&store=yourstore&reviewID=R14Z9F9P8I6AHE&displayType=ReviewDetail

==============

If you also like "Leave It To Beaver" (another of my favorites)....I'll
begin to wonder if we're related. (My sister's name IS Barb, btw.) ~grin~

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 7, 2007, 12:10:03 AM4/7/07
On 6 Apr 2007 23:51:25 -0400, "David Von Pein" <davev...@aol.com>
wrote:

> [...]

Well, I always wanted a brother.<g> Remember when the Beaver got stuck
in the "steaming" cup on the billboard? Yah, another old fave ...

Barb :-)

David Von Pein

Apr 7, 2007, 11:12:55 AM4/7/07
>>> "Remember when the Beaver got stuck in the "steaming" cup on the billboard?" <<<

LOL. Oh, yes. That episode is called "IN THE SOUP".

I'm trying hard to segue this into a JFK-related post....but I'm
having trouble with this one. Except to say that "In The Soup" aired
one month after The Bay Of Pigs invasion. (Does that count?) :)

Barb Junkkarinen

Apr 7, 2007, 2:17:06 PM4/7/07
On 7 Apr 2007 11:12:55 -0400, "David Von Pein" <davev...@aol.com>
wrote:

> [...]