Audio Now Available For 62 Of JFK's 64 Press Conferences

David Von Pein

Jan 28, 2011, 9:44:38 PM1/28/11

"Hopefully, some day, the JFK Library in Boston (which I believe
houses all of Kennedy's press conferences on audio and video) will
remaster all 64 of those conferences and release them. .... Having all of
JFK's news conferences digitally archived would be ideal for the
preservation and historical record of John F. Kennedy's presidency." --
DVP; January 2, 2008

-------------

Well, my wish has now come true, because the JFK Library has, indeed, made
available virtually all of President Kennedy's uncut press conferences,
via streaming audio at the JFK Library website.

As of this date (1/28/11), however, the newly-redesigned website at
http://JFKLibrary.org has a lot of bugs and dead links when it comes to
locating the proper webpages for those 64 JFK news conferences. But I did
a little digging and found the links to all of the 64 conferences at the
site.

Two of the conferences (as of now) are not available as streaming audio
files (the 1/15/62 and 2/7/63 conferences), but the full transcripts are
available for those missing conferences.

I've revised my "JFK Press Conferences" blog to include links to every
conference, plus JFK's 11/10/60 news briefing as President-Elect, too.

Here's the link:

http://JFK-Press-Conferences.blogspot.com

--------------

Also of interest is the JFK Library's vast "White House Audio
Collection", which now includes more than 800 files from JFK's three
years as President. Here's that link:

http://JFKLibrary.org/Search.aspx?nav=N:4294951674

Sean Smiley

Jan 29, 2011, 10:03:37 AM1/29/11
On Jan 28, 6:44 pm, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
>       "Hopefully, some day, the JFK Library in Boston (which I believe
> houses all of Kennedy's press conferences on audio and video) will
> remaster all 64 of those conferences and release them. .... Having all of
> JFK's news conferences digitally archived would be ideal for the
> preservation and historical record of John F. Kennedy's presidency." --
> DVP; January 2, 2008
>
> -------------
>
> Well, my wish has now come true, because the JFK Library has, indeed, made
> available virtually all of President Kennedy's uncut press conferences,
> via streaming audio at the JFK Library website.
>
> As of this date (1/28/11), however, the newly-redesigned website athttp://JFKLibrary.orghas a lot of bugs and dead links when it comes to

> locating the proper webpages for those 64 JFK news conferences. But I did
> a little digging and found the links to all of the 64 conferences at the
> site.
>
> Two of the conferences (as of now) are not available as streaming audio
> files (the 1/15/62 and 2/7/63 conferences), but the full transcripts are
> available for those missing conferences.
>
> I've revised my "JFK Press Conferences" blog to include links to every
> conference, plus JFK's 11/10/60 news briefing as President-Elect, too.
>
> Here's the link:
>
> http://JFK-Press-Conferences.blogspot.com
>
> --------------
>
> Also of interest is the JFK Library's vast "White House Audio
> Collection", which now includes more than 800 files from JFK's three
> years as President. Here's that link:
>
> http://JFKLibrary.org/Search.aspx?nav=N:4294951674

Finally! Wonder why it took so long. We looked forward to those
press conferences, & am now looking forward/backward to them again....
dcw

David Von Pein

Jan 29, 2011, 4:22:41 PM1/29/11

The last link in my last post doesn't go to the right place. Here's
the correct link for the "White House Audio Collection":

http://www.JFKLibrary.org/Search.aspx?nav=N:4294951674

Anthony Marsh

Jan 30, 2011, 12:22:33 PM1/30/11

Try asking the Kennedy Library for the 4 rough transcripts of the
destroyed WH tapes.

David Von Pein

Feb 1, 2011, 11:05:33 AM2/1/11

Update:

It didn't take long for the JFK Library website to make available the
two missing news conferences. All 64 are now available in audio
format:

http://JFK-Press-Conferences.blogspot.com

http://JFK-Archives.blogspot.com/2011/01/jfk-press-conferences.html

David Von Pein

Feb 2, 2011, 9:53:36 PM2/2/11

FYI...

Another Press Conference Update:

I've now found video/film versions for three of JFK's news conferences:

http://JFK-Press-Conferences.blogspot.com

The newly revamped JFK Library website is very nice, but it appears to me
that they've concealed a lot of good audio and video material deep within
the bowels of the massive site, and it takes considerable digging and
searching to find some of these items, such as these three video versions
of the conferences from 1/25/61, 3/1/61, and 3/8/61:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/USG-1-25-2.aspx

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/USG-1-26.aspx

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/USG-1-27.aspx

The audio versions of those conferences are better, however, with clearer
sound quality than the video versions, and the March 8th video conference
is terrible, because the audio is totally out of sync with the video,
which makes that video file pretty much worthless.

More rare JFK video can be found at the link below, via the "United States
Government Agencies Collection", which is another great resource to be
found deep within those massive JFK Library bowels:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Search.aspx?nav=N:4294945870

Anthony Marsh

Feb 3, 2011, 8:45:08 AM2/3/11
On 2/2/2011 9:53 PM, David Von Pein wrote:

> FYI...
>
> Another Press Conference Update:
>
> I've now found video/film versions for three of JFK's news conferences:
>
> http://JFK-Press-Conferences.blogspot.com
>

> The newly revamped JFK Library website is very nice, but it appears to me
> that they've concealed a lot of good audio and video material deep within
> the bowels of the massive site, and it takes considerable digging and
> searching to find some of these items, such as these three video versions
> of the conferences from 1/25/61, 3/1/61, and 3/8/61:
>

> http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/USG-1-25-2.aspx
>
> http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/USG-1-26.aspx
>
> http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/USG-1-27.aspx

I don't want to give away any trade secrets, but sometimes you can find
files they have on a web site which are not list on a page by predicting
their file naming convention. You know they all end in ".aspx" and start
with "USG." Likewise most Stoughton photos will start with "ST."

> The audio versions of those conferences are better, however, with clearer
> sound quality than the video versions, and the March 8th video conference
> is terrible, because the audio is totally out of sync with the video,
> which makes that video file pretty much worthless.

That might be fixable with the right program. Maybe Nero can sync it.