Maasdam 1962 - two pictures!

Perry

Dec 10, 2010, 3:39:12 PM12/10/10
As written by me earlier this month, I came in contact with a lady who
travelled from Rotterdam to Hoboken, New Jersey on the ship Maasdam
IV, thirteen days in june 1962. Just like the Oswalds did.

remarkable: never before was a passenger of the 1962-trip tracked
down by anyone.
remarkable: she was staying in cabin 471, the Oswalds slept in 473:
they were neighbours.
remarkable: she saw Oswald a lot, didn't talk to him. She never saw
Marina and June.

She sent me two pictures: first time we see pictures of the ship
during those days in june 1962.

http://www.perryvermeulen.nl/maasdam1962_1.jpg - Diner; neighbour of
Oswald is second from left.

http://www.perryvermeulen.nl/maasdam1962_2.jpg - On deck; neighbour of
Oswald is in the middle.

timstter

Dec 10, 2010, 11:19:07 PM12/10/10
On Dec 11, 7:39 am, Perry <pjjvermeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As written by me earlier this month, I came in contact with a lady who
> travelled from Rotterdam to Hoboken, New Jersey on the ship Maasdam
> IV, thirteen days in june 1962. Just like the Oswalds did.
>
> remarkable:   never before was a passenger of the 1962-trip tracked
> down by anyone.
> remarkable:   she was staying in cabin 471, the Oswalds slept in 473:
> they were neighbours.
> remarkable:   she saw Oswald a lot, didn't talk to him. She never saw
> Marina and June.
>
> She sent me two pictures: first time we see pictures of the ship
> during those days in june 1962.
>
> http://www.perryvermeulen.nl/maasdam1962_1.jpg- Diner; neighbour of

> Oswald is second from left.
>
> http://www.perryvermeulen.nl/maasdam1962_2.jpg- On deck; neighbour of

> Oswald is in the middle.

Very interesting. Thanks for supplying the photos, Perry!

Regards,

Tim Brennan
Sydney, Australia
*Newsgroup(s) Commentator*

Peter Fokes

Dec 11, 2010, 1:37:53 AM12/11/10

Yes, these folks look like they are having a good time ... wine
anyone?

Hehe ... then relaxing on deck!

Here are 5 more pictures of the SS Maasdam .... I don't know the date:

Compare this photo on my website

http://www.toronto.hm/ss_maasdam.html

With the 5th photo down on this webpage

http://rosessundries.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/listing-2909/

It's the same ship.

Pictures 6-8 shown some interior shots of the ship.

Notice the chair design in photo 7 is the same as the photo provided
by Perry #1.

Happy Sailing!

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

Perry

Dec 11, 2010, 8:28:08 AM12/11/10
On 11 dec, 07:37, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:

> On 10 Dec 2010 23:19:07 -0500, timstter <timst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >On Dec 11, 7:39 am, Perry <pjjvermeu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> As written by me earlier this month, I came in contact with a lady who
> >> travelled from Rotterdam to Hoboken, New Jersey on the ship Maasdam
> >> IV, thirteen days in june 1962. Just like the Oswalds did.
>
> >> remarkable: never before was a passenger of the 1962-trip tracked
> >> down by anyone.
> >> remarkable: she was staying in cabin 471, the Oswalds slept in 473:
> >> they were neighbours.
> >> remarkable: she saw Oswald a lot, didn't talk to him. She never saw
> >> Marina and June.
>
> >> She sent me two pictures: first time we see pictures of the ship
> >> during those days in june 1962.
>
> >>http://www.perryvermeulen.nl/maasdam1962_1.jpg-Diner; neighbour of

> >> Oswald is second from left.
>
> >>http://www.perryvermeulen.nl/maasdam1962_2.jpg-On deck; neighbour of

> >> Oswald is in the middle.
>
> >Very interesting. Thanks for supplying the photos, Perry!
>
> Yes, these folks look like they are having a good time ...  wine
> anyone?
>
> Hehe ... then relaxing on deck!
>
> Here are 5 more pictures of the SS Maasdam .... I don't know the date:
>
> Compare this photo on my website
>
> http://www.toronto.hm/ss_maasdam.html
>
> With the 5th photo down on this webpage
>
> http://rosessundries.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/listing-2909/
>
> It's the same ship.
>
> Pictures 6-8 shown some interior shots of the ship.
>
> Notice the chair design in photo 7 is the same as the photo provided
> by Perry #1.
>
> Happy Sailing!
>
> Peter Fokes,
> Toronto
>

> >Regards,
>
> >Tim Brennan
> >Sydney, Australia
> >*Newsgroup(s) Commentator*

Five more pics of the Maasdam are on my Facebook (you can check them
out even if you don't have a Facebook-account):
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=251928&id=605420779&l=f1a056fd7c

These pics are not made in 1962, don't know when they were made...

Anthony Marsh

Dec 11, 2010, 7:41:14 PM12/11/10

Thank you very much. I am sure no one has seen these before.
Helps give us some flavor of the trip.
Do you have these organized on a Web page?

Anthony Marsh

Dec 11, 2010, 7:41:51 PM12/11/10
On 12/10/2010 3:39 PM, Perry wrote:

I think I found the right Web page:

http://www.leeharveyoswald.nl/?m=201012

Any chance your Web site can translate into English? I know Google has a
primitive feature to do that.

Anthony Marsh

Dec 11, 2010, 7:57:55 PM12/11/10
On 12/10/2010 3:39 PM, Perry wrote:

Just thought you might like to see how Google translated your page:

Archive for December, 2010
Passagier Maasdam getraceerd + 2 foto's 1 Passenger Maasdam traced + 2
photos 1
10 December, 2010 10 December, 2010

Er werd mij onlangs iets in de schoot geworpen, iets waar ik in 2004-08
veel tijd in heb gestoken - zonder resultaat. It was just something I
fell into the lap, something I've spent much time in 2004-08 - to no
avail. Dit schreef ik eerder vandaag op de Amerikaanse newsgroup
Assassination JFK : I wrote this earlier today on the American newsgroup
JFK Assassination :

As written by me earlier this month, I came in contact with WR Pietersma,

a lady who travelled from Rotterdam to Hoboken, New Jersey on the ship

Maasdam IV, thirteen days in June 1962. Axis written by me EARLIER this
month, I came in contact with WR Pietersma, a lady who Travelled from

Rotterdam to Hoboken, New Jersey on the ship Maasdam IV, thirteen days in

June 1962. Just like the Oswalds did. Just like the Oswald did.

remarkable: never before was a passenger of the 1962-trip tracked down

by anyone. remarkable: never before had a passenger of the 1962-strip

tracked down by anyone.
remarkable: she was staying in cabin 471, the Oswalds slept in 473:

they were neighbours. remarkable: she was staying in cabin 471, 473
slept in the Oswald: They Were neighbors.
remarkable: she saw Oswald a lot, didn't talk to him. remarkable: she
saw Oswald a lot, did not talk to him. She never saw Marina and June.

She never saw Marina and June.

She sent me two pictures: first time we see pictures of the ship during

those days in June 1962. She sent me two pictures: first time we see
pictures of the ship constantly Those Days in June 1962.

Diner; neighbour of Oswald is second from left. Dinner, neighbor or
Oswald second from left.

On deck; neighbour of Oswald is in the middle. On deck, neighbor or
Oswald in the middle.

Dank aan Wil Pietersma en haar zoon Han Becker voor het zenden van de
foto's! Thanks to Wil and her son Pietersma Han Becker for sending the
pictures! Hieronder mevrouw Pietersma en Oswald op de passagierslijst.
Below Pietersma and Mrs. Oswald on the passenger list. En daaronder een
plattegrond van de verdieping waar de Oswalds sliepen (471 en 473 midden
bovenaan - klik voor vergroting). And below a map of the floor where
Oswald slept (471 and 473 mid top - click to enlarge).

Copyright ? 2008 Perry Vermeulen Copyright ?

So if you need someone to help translate the Dutch into colloquial
American English they could use this rough translation as a template and
correct the obvious errors in translation.

Peter Fokes

Dec 12, 2010, 11:37:42 PM12/12/10

>Five more pics of the Maasdam are on my Facebook (you can check them
>out even if you don't have a Facebook-account):
>http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=251928&id=605420779&l=f1a056fd7c
>
>These pics are not made in 1962, don't know when they were made...

Perhaps someone will update the following Wikipedia page, and add the
fact that Oswald travelled on this ship when he returned from Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Maasdam_

PF

Peter Fokes

Dec 12, 2010, 11:41:41 PM12/12/10
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:37:42 -0500, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>
wrote:

Hey. here's another nice pic of the ship:

http://www.vdleek.nl/Hal/Vloot/Madm-4.jpg

Almost looks like a painting!

http://www.vdleek.nl/Hal/Vloot/Maasdam.html

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

Peter Fokes

Dec 13, 2010, 12:09:45 AM12/13/10
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:41:41 -0500, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>

Top post:

Some color photos of interior of ship dated 1963:

http://tinyurl.com/25wg6hd

And if you enlarge the third of four photos here, you will see a
colour coded layout of interior:

http://tinyurl.com/2bhcon2

Both these items are still for sale on Ebay, Perry!

Cheers,
Peter Fokes

John McAdams

Apr 11, 2011, 12:26:14 AM4/11/11

Interesting stuff, Peter, thanks!

It seems rather luxurious for the Oswalds. But then, I expect the had
the really cheap tickets, and didn't get anything like first class
treatment.

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:09:45 -0500, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:41:41 -0500, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>

>Top post:
>
>Some color photos of interior of ship dated 1963:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/25wg6hd
>

>And if you enlarge the third of four photos here, you will see a
>colour coded layout of interior:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2bhcon2
>

>Both these items are still for sale on Ebay, Perry!

>>>Perhaps someone will update the following Wikipedia page, and add the
>>>fact that Oswald travelled on this ship when he returned from Russia.
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Maasdam_
>>

>>Hey. here's another nice pic of the ship:
>>
>>http://www.vdleek.nl/Hal/Vloot/Madm-4.jpg
>>
>>Almost looks like a painting!
>>
>>http://www.vdleek.nl/Hal/Vloot/Maasdam.html
>>

>>Peter Fokes,