PoTM Contest

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 8:27:54 AM2/16/13
Just an idea based on an old rap battle/ poetry slam theme, Poet of The Month Contest - A monthly single elimination poetry tournament. Entries to be submitted to the contest organizer who posts them anonymously to the group, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. Winners of each round to be determined by votes in group by all entrants, and advancing to subsequent rounds. Each round requires a new, original poetry effort. Original authors retain all copyrights, of course. Any interest?

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 9:18:31 AM2/16/13
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:27:54 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Just an idea based on an old rap battle/ poetry slam theme, Poet of The Month Contest - A monthly single elimination poetry tournament. Entries to be submitted to the contest organizer who posts them anonymously to the group, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. Winners of each round to be determined by votes in group by all entrants, and advancing to subsequent rounds. Each round requires a new, original poetry effort. Original authors retain all copyrights, of course. Any > interest?

I was involved in some of this back in the 1990s, as the students at the college in nearby Americus Georgia used to have weekly "Poetry Slams" using this method.

Here's the 2000 schedule, just for the fun of it, mostly my own:

http://web.archive.org/web/20090903061148/http://geocities.com/southernfriedslam/schedule.htm

"...The schedule that follows reads correctly. There will be bouts happening simultaneously (that means at the same time ;-) Check local newspapers and flyers for where and when the teams will be competing!

Wednesday, June 21st
In place of the slam we will have a virgin slam open only to those who have NEVER slammed before or who have never made the final round. This will be followed by open mic and the pre-lim poets' party at Pat's Place

Thursday, June 22nd
5:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Opening Ceremonies. In keeping with the new tradition, each poet will perform a haiku to introduce themselves.
7:30pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Bout 1 - Atlanta vs. Knoxville vs. Athens vs. Anis Mogani vs. Dufflyn Lammers
7:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Bout 1 - Dallas vs. Monte Vallo vs. Winston-Salem vs. Mike Hoerman vs. Jeremy C. Garland
9:30pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Bout 1 - Americus vs. Roanoke vs. Birmingham vs. Chris Weddle vs. Matt Flumerfelt
9:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Bout 1 - Lexington vs. West Palm Beach vs. Memphis vs. Will Dockery vs. Shamelle Jenkins
11:00pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. 5th Wheel & Slammasters Slam w/ CA$H PRIZE$

Friday, June 23rd
10:00am Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Too early for poets Open Mic
11:00am Ramada Inn Banquet Meeting Room Slammasters meeting
1:00pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Women's Open Mic
2:00pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. The Morrigan (all-women's performance group) www.themorrigan.com
3:00pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Haiku Slam
4:00pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. GRUNT!! Men's Open Mic
7:30pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Bout 2 - Roanoke vs. Monte Vallo vs. Memphis vs. Will Dockery vs. Chris Weddle
7:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Bout 2 - Atlanta vs. Americus vs. Lexington vs. Mike Hoerman vs. Dufflyn Lammers
9:30pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Bout 2 - Knoxville vs. Dallas vs. West Palm Beach vs. Matt Flumerfelt vs. Shamelle Jenkins
9:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Bout 2 - Athens vs. Birmingham vs. Winston-Salem vs. Jeremy C. Garland vs. Anis Mogani
11:00pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Erotica Reading! XXXHotHotHotXXX Open Mic

Saturday, June 24th
1:30pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Bout 3 - Atlanta vs. Dallas vs. West Palm Beach vs. Shamelle Jenkins vs. Mike Hoerman
1:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Bout 3 - Birmingham vs. Monte Vallo vs. Lexington vs. Jeremy C. Garland vs. Will Dockery
3:30pm Pat's Place
1526 South Lee St. Bout 3 - Athens vs. Americus vs. Memphis vs. Chris Weddle vs. Anis Mogani
3:30pm Talking Bean
224 West Lamar St. Bout 3 - Knoxville vs. Roanoke vs. Winston-Salem vs. Dufflyn Lammers vs. Matt Flumerfelt
**8:00pm** Rylander Theater Southern Fried Finals - Top 4 Teams, Top 4 Individuals + Special Guests!!!
----

Of course, doing this "on paper" would be a much different excercise than live performance... but I understand how you'd pobably ace this one...

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 9:36:03 AM2/16/13
Will Dockery
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:27:54 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Just an idea based on an old rap battle/ poetry slam theme, Poet of The Month Contest - A monthly single elimination poetry tournament. Entries to be submitted to the contest organizer who posts them anonymously to the group, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. Winners of each round to be determined by votes in group by all entrants, and advancing to subsequent rounds. Each round requires a new, original poetry effort. Original authors retain all copyrights, of course. Any > interest?

<personal crap snip>

Of course, doing this "on paper" would be a much different excercise than live performance... but I understand how you'd pobably ace this one...

As you see, we're not writing on paper, and I have no interest in competing. I would volunteer to be the organizer if it were agreed upon by those interested in participating. Like you said, it's poetry/writing exercise, and it is live, or as lively as we can be, here on Usenet TV. Anyway, it's just an idea I ripped off from somebody else's idea who ripped it off from somebody else, and so on and so forth. It's just an unoriginal idea I thought we might try since nothing else seems to work around here in terms of group participation.

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 9:45:23 AM2/16/13
That's why I put it "on paper"... there's probably little doubt that this form of communication will replace paper eventually, just as it is slowly killing the US Postal service.

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 9:54:26 AM2/16/13
9:45 AMWill Dockery
That's why I put it "on paper"... there's probably little doubt that this form of communication will replace paper eventually, just as it is slowly killing the US Postal service.

Yeah, write.

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 10:13:21 AM2/16/13
By any means possible.

George Dance

Feb 16, 2013, 10:18:46 AM2/16/13
On Feb 16, 8:27 am, Hieronymous House <hieronymous...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Just an idea based on an old rap battle/ poetry slam theme, Poet of The Month Contest - A monthly single elimination poetry tournament. Entries to be submitted to the contest organizer who posts them anonymously to the group, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. Winners of each round to be determined by votes in group by all entrants, and advancing to subsequent rounds. Each round requires a new, original poetry effort. Original authors retain all copyrights, of course. Any interest?

I think it's a great idea. It's completely opposite to the way I
write, and I wouldn't want it to take me away from the wiki; but I
might give it a try -- it could get me writing some new poetry. And I
think it would be right up the alley of a number of regulars: Will,
double V, and you, for instance.

Questions:
(1) In subsequent rounds, would the poets have to come up with all new
poems, or would it be the same poems as in the previous rounds?
(2) If the latter, would the poets have an opportunity (not an
obligation) to revise their poems between rounds?

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 10:30:43 AM2/16/13
Sort of reminds me of our "Workers Do Not Dream" round-robin collaboration.

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 10:48:02 AM2/16/13
The idea is to be accommodating and inclusive of all types of poets and poetry as well as personally challenging enough to everyone so as to maintain and grow interest and involvement. I'm presently working on a set of proposed rulz that I'll post when I think them worthy of your inspection, which won't be until sometime this evening after I get back from meeting with my dad. Later.

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 12:12:03 PM2/16/13
10:30 AMWill Dockery

Sort of reminds me of our "Workers Do Not Dream" round-robin collaboration.

I'm not talking about a collaboration except in the most general sense. I'm talking about a real competition, a contest, with winners and losers. The winner wins the title to wear for the month, and some nominal prize to be determined later. The losers cheer, and vote, from the sidelines for those still competing and wait until next month to try again. The idea is to encourage those creative juices, get people thinking, writing, and critiquing one another again. It's supposed to be fun.

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 1:02:35 PM2/16/13
If we can get a few others interested, count me in... still think you should compete, but I also can see the role you envision for yourself here, preaching to the choir.

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 6:07:49 PM2/16/13

1:02 PMWill Dockery

If we can get a few others interested, count me in... still think you should compete, but I also can see the role you envision for yourself here, preaching to the choir.

I see my role as more contest facilitator than preacher, but you're right. If there isn't sufficient interest, it's hardly worth going through the motions. So far, not so much.

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 6:13:31 PM2/16/13
I think it's me and George Dance right now, which is enough for a mano-a-mano duel thread, which might generate interest for us to continue from.

Should we stay in character and make the poetry personal, non-heroic, non-didactic, subversive and funny, at least at first?

Hieronymous House

Feb 16, 2013, 6:32:28 PM2/16/13
6:13 PMWill Dockery

Should we stay in character and make the poetry personal, non-heroic, non-didactic, subversive and funny, at least at first?

I don't understand what you mean by stay in character, and I'm not interested in mirroring or competing with other challenges like that proposed by Peter. I'd actually like to enlist their participation.

Will Dockery

Feb 16, 2013, 6:40:39 PM2/16/13
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:32:28 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:

> I'm not interested in mirroring or competing with other challenges like that proposed by Peter. I'd actually like to enlist their participation.

Well, you come up with the concept and I'm sure George will be up to the game, as will I, obviously.

Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 17, 2013, 5:05:27 AM2/17/13
qwerty...@gmail.com
On Saturday, February 16, 2013 6:32:28 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
This will never happen. You will get a cliche-filled piece of tripe with mis-spellings and grammar errors as your winner while the actually good content loses.

No good writer is going to participate in this.

I expect you're right. It's democratic. bad writers get as much opportunity to participate and vote as good writers. if flooded with bad writers, their influence will dominate. Writers who consider themselves too good for such a contest probably won't or shouldn't participate. It's supposed to be a fun group writing exercise for people who want to learn something about how others see their work. For those who'd rather exercise their egos, this probably isn't the right exercise.

Hieronymous House

Feb 17, 2013, 6:18:30 AM2/17/13
To all potential players, a list of proposed rules:

1. All entries must be original to the author. Previously posted works are not allowed. The winner of each round has the option of resubmitting the same piece for subsequent rounds, or offering something new for consideration.

2. Deadlines are final. It's up to you to get your entries in on time. You will have at least 48 hours notice, posted in group, that entries are due.

3. Writing styles of some contributors may suggest their identity, but the contest is anonymous until the final around. Entries may not contain name dropping self-references.

4. First round entries limited to 32 lines.

5. Pieces will be paired and posted in the order that they are received. An ode may face-off against a sonnet, or a limerick against a villanelle, or a blank verse may face a rap rhyme, or whatever whatever, etc. etc.

6. Participants must vote in every round, and yes, you may vote for yourself.

7. Non-participants are encouraged to vote as well. Socks puppet comments are invited, but their votes won't count. You know who you are.

8. All entries get emailed to me at jcorey...@aol.com.

9. Votes will be accepted for 3 days after each round. Winners will be posted, and those moving on will have another 3 days to submit an entry.

That should be enough rules to get us started. Comments? Suggestions?

Will Dockery

Feb 17, 2013, 8:45:32 AM2/17/13
On Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:05:07 AM UTC-5, qwerty...@gmail.com wrote:

> This will never happen. You will get a cliche-filled piece of tripe with mis-spellings and grammar errors as your winner while the actually good content loses.

Well, the most entertaining poem will win by a popular vote, in theory.

Hieronymous House

Feb 17, 2013, 8:59:40 AM2/17/13
8:45 AMWill Dockery
On Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:05:07 AM UTC-5, qwerty...@gmail.com wrote:

> This will never happen. You will get a cliche-filled piece of tripe with mis-spellings and grammar errors as your winner while the actually good content loses.

Well, the most entertaining poem will win by a popular vote, in theory.

What entertains you doesn't necessarily entertain me, nor should it. People appreciate different things, but the one thing we all ostensibly have in common here, in this group, is an appreciation of poetry, although we may each define what constitutes a poem differently. In theory, the contest allows you to express yourself through your entries, and your opinions through your votes. In theory, the contest gets better as the contestants get better. A rising tide raises all boats. If March is a success, April should be better by virtue of experience and renewed, hopefully additional interest. The individual goal is to win, strut your stuff. The common goal is to improve the focus of the group on poetry rather than back biting, and of course making better writers.

Will Dockery

Feb 17, 2013, 9:08:53 AM2/17/13
Well, as you know, ego can work in mysterious ways.

What my ego finds entertaining and worth the effort, another's ego may find dull and unworthy of their effort.

I'm in, if seven others from the Rat Pack want to join me on this mission of certain doom...

oneb...@hotmail.com

Feb 17, 2013, 11:00:25 AM2/17/13
Got my submission on the way. Thanks!

Hieronymous House

Feb 17, 2013, 11:44:17 AM2/17/13
Great. I'll respond via email to confirm receipt.

George Dance

Feb 17, 2013, 2:00:53 PM2/17/13
On Feb 17, 6:18 am, Hieronymous House <hieronymous...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> To all potential players, a list of proposed rules:
>
> 1. All entries must be original to the author. Previously posted works are not allowed. The winner of each round has the option of resubmitting the same piece for subsequent rounds, or offering something new for consideration.
>
> 2. Deadlines are final. It's up to you to get your entries in on time. You will have at least 48 hours notice, posted in group, that entries are due.
>
> 3. Writing styles of some contributors may suggest their identity, but the contest is anonymous until the final around. Entries may not contain name dropping self-references.
>
> 4. First round entries limited to 32 lines.
>
> 5. Pieces will be paired and posted in the order that they are received. An ode may face-off against a sonnet, or a limerick against a villanelle, or a blank verse may face a rap rhyme, or whatever whatever, etc. etc.
>
> 6. Participants must vote in every round, and yes, you may vote for yourself.
>
> 7. Non-participants are encouraged to vote as well. Socks puppet comments are invited, but their votes won't count. You know who you are.
>
> 8. All entries get emailed to me at jcoreycon...@aol.com.
>
> 9. Votes will be accepted for 3 days after each round. Winners will be posted, and those moving on will have another 3 days to submit an entry.
>
> That should be enough rules to get us started. Comments? Suggestions?

I promised comments and suggestions; take em or leave em, you may have
already thought of each and have good reasons for ruling it out.

1. I like the new entry proviso, as the idea is to encourage people to
write. I'd prefer that the same piece be used throughout (though the
poet has the option of revising between rounds), as this should be
about poems, not poets.

2. Firm deadlines are a good thing. In theory these are to happen
monthly, so if someone misses one, there's always next month's.

3. I'm a firm believe in blind review. Too much of the "critique" that
we used to get here was based on the poet's name, not the poem.

4. Maximum length is a good idea. Do you want a minimum? Is a one-
letter "poem, like
<quote>
eyeyes
</q>
eligible?

5. I'm not a big fan of the elimination rounds: what happens if
there's only 3 poems submitted? Or any odd number, for that matter?
Also, there's the paradox of democracy, that preferences can be skewed
by the order the alternatives are presented in: some people may get
the idea their poems are being dealt with by being paired with the
strongest poems, while others are getting a free ride by being paired
with the weaker. My own preference would be a vote among all of them,
with a runoff between the top two. But if you think this will work ...

6. Good rule. No comments needed.

7. OK. You can't exclude them, but you can exclude their votes.
Judging from what I've been reading, I'd expect to see voting for the
worst poems, just to discredit the contest; and this is a good way to
handle that.

8. Yes. Making the contest is the first chance readers get to see the
poems, give a clear incentive to read the thread. Some people might
worry about their poems being ripped off, but there are other places
to post them to prove prior authorship; and if anyone has concerns
they can email me about that.

9. So that's: 2 days for first entries; 3 days for voting; 3 days
until the next round; another 3 days for voting on it. Assuming one
day in between each part just for you to post things, that's half the
month taken up already with only two rounds. I hope this doesn't
become too unwieldy.

Hieronymous House

Feb 17, 2013, 2:17:55 PM2/17/13
I want this to be head to head, thus the elimination rounds. Watching, cheering and heckling, is half the fun. This or that. Easy choices. Explain your vote or don't. You represent you. Everybody loses except one, and the winner suffers the envy of the group for a few days at the end of the month until the next month's contest begins. I see it as a win/win, but who knows. With H talking it down so much, we may never get enough people interested to make it worthwhile doing.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 17, 2013, 3:31:51 PM2/17/13
3:23 PMqwerty...@gmail.com

Well, I don't want to derail your "contest", just ease the sting of disappointment later.

Would that you could ease me sting.
Lubrication! That's the thing!
All I mean's, let's have a beer.
Don't think that I think you're queer.

Will Dockery

Feb 17, 2013, 6:32:01 PM2/17/13
On Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:44:17 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Great. I'll respond via email to confirm receipt.

Oh, Okay... "submission on the way", as in not sent yet.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 4:16:34 AM2/18/13
Well of course this is Usenet, and alt.arts.poetry.comments so the usual jealous jeering from the likes of burnouts such as ggamble and PJR will be expected, and even Horatio has promised to add a few.

But there will have to be a way to count legit votes, I reckon... you seem to have thought this contest out pretty well so far, so I feel you may have this covered, as well.

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 4:52:19 AM2/18/13
But there will have to be a way to count legit votes, I reckon... you seem to have thought this contest out pretty well so far, so I feel you may have this covered, as well.

Legitimacy is a matter of perspective. Those who jeer and heckle may be prompted to do so by the perception of an illegitimate contest. I think you're asking whether or not it's possible to cheat, or otherwise subvert our effort, and of course the answer is yes. Fortunately, the only people cheated are the cheaters. If successful, they stop the contest and prove we weren't serious enough to follow through. If someone joins the effort and cheats, they win a hollow victory, a yo-yo, and a couple atta-boys. Everybody else, the losers to the cheater, still gain from the experience, the exercise, and the focused comraderie and fellowship of cooperative competition. Votes will be cast publicly, in group, so it should be pretty easy to follow along. Questionable votes should be brought to my attention. Try to ignore the nay sayers like a pitcher ignores the drunk fat guy heckling from the cheap seats. just do the work. Throw the ball. Stay focused and positive about your entries and effort in the contest, and everything should be okay, fun. I'll tabulate all the votes, and you all will just have to trust me to do my best to count correctly.

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 4:37:27 PM2/18/13
Deadline for entries is Feb 27. Everybody
is invited and encouraged to spread the word
to others who might be interested. Thanks, and good luck!

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 8:15:24 PM2/18/13
On Monday, February 18, 2013 4:52:19 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> But there will have to be a way to count legit votes, I reckon... you seem to have thought this contest out pretty well so far, so I feel you may have this covered, as well.
>

> Legitimacy is a matter of perspective. Those who jeer and heckle may be prompted to do so by the perception of an illegitimate contest. I think you're asking whether or not it's possible to cheat, or otherwise subvert our effort, and of course the answer is yes. Fortunately, the only people cheated are the cheaters. If successful, they stop the contest and prove we weren't serious enough to follow through. If someone joins the effort and cheats, they win a hollow victory, a yo-yo, and a couple atta-boys. Everybody else, the losers to the cheater, still gain from the experience, the exercise, and the focused comraderie and fellowship of cooperative competition. Votes will be cast publicly, in group, so it should be pretty easy to follow along. Questionable votes should be brought to my attention. Try to ignore the nay sayers like a pitcher ignores the drunk fat guy heckling from the cheap seats. just do the work. Throw the ball. Stay focused and positive about your entries and effort in the contest, and everything should be okay, fun. I'll tabulate all the votes, and you all will just have to trust me to do my best to count correctly.

Okay, sounds good.

So there's no theme or anything, just a 32 line or so poem in whatever style, on whatever topic we like?

This is the sort of thing Patricia, and probably others including myself have been and will be asking.

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 8:30:54 PM2/18/13
8:15 PMWill Dockery
The theme is the contest itself, the format. Look your best. Try to win. Put as much or little into it as you want. Try to consider potential opponents and how your entry might be perceived by voters in contrast to them. Try to show off. Most of all, try to have fun whether you win or lose. Just try and you win by virtue of creative effort. You will learn something, and somebody who has never seen your writing will get a chance to see it and judge it in juxtaposition to somebody else's which helps everybody concerned. It's all good.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 8:36:23 PM2/18/13
The anonymous posting kind of bothers me about this, to be honest... I can forsee some problems with material slipping into a percieved "public domain" status, and then a fight to prove authorship.

Is there a way you've figured out to get around this possible problem?

At first when you presented the idea this anonymous situation didn't seem to be part of it.

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 8:42:37 PM2/18/13
8:36 PMWill Dockery

The anonymous posting kind of bothers me about this, to be honest... I can forsee some problems with material slipping into a percieved "public domain" status, and then a fight to prove authorship.

Is there a way you've figured out to get around this possible problem?

At first when you presented the idea this anonymous situation didn't seem to be part of it.

All entries come to me from the authors through date stamped email. It's easy enough to prove you originated the email and authored its material. Anonymous posting is to encourage voters to consider and compare the writings rather than the writers.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 8:47:10 PM2/18/13
Yes, I like that aspect, and as long as you have the ownership and rights problems covered then I'm good with it.

And of course at the end of the contest all will be revealed anyhow.

How many poets have signed on for this so far?

Just curious.

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 8:54:46 PM2/18/13

8:47 PMWill Dockery
Yes, I like that aspect, and as long as you have the ownership and rights problems covered then I'm good with it.

And of course at the end of the contest all will be revealed anyhow.

How many poets have signed on for this so far?

Just curious.

Like I said, I've received two entries plus your and George's promise, so we're half way to an eight seed tourney.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 9:11:34 PM2/18/13
Well, as soon as I determine the approach I want to take I'll write and send you something.

Of course the readers already knowing me and George are involved is a bit of a spoiler, but it could also make for a more interesting game, if we decide to try to disguise ourselves in different characters than the public usually sees us as.

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 9:15:40 PM2/18/13
9:11 PMWill Dockery
Well, as soon as I determine the approach I want to take I'll write and send you something.

Of course the readers already knowing me and George are involved is a bit of a spoiler, but it could also make for a more interesting game, if we decide to try to disguise ourselves in different characters than the public usually sees us as.

That's the value of anonymous posting. No one will know exactly who's who till the end.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 9:24:23 PM2/18/13
Looking forward to it, and did I get that right that you intend to do this every month?

Hieronymous House

Feb 18, 2013, 9:29:39 PM2/18/13

9:24 PMWill Dockery
Looking forward to it, and did I get that right that you intend to do this every month?

We'll see. First things first. If it takes off, it takes off. Poet of The Month suggests a monthly contest.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 9:44:54 PM2/18/13
True.

I got overly thrilled there for a moment.

Will Dockery

Feb 18, 2013, 10:14:43 PM2/18/13
On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:15:40 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 9:11 PMWill Dockery

> Well, as soon as I determine the approach I want to take I'll write and
> send you something.
>
> Of course the readers already knowing me and George are involved is a bit
> of a spoiler, but it could also make for a more interesting game, if we
> decide to try to disguise ourselves in different characters than the
> public usually sees us as.
>
> That's the value of anonymous posting. No one will know exactly who's who
> till the end.

We, me and George are such iconic figures that I doubt it'll be that well
hidden, but it'll be fun, no doubt.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

Hieronymous House

Feb 19, 2013, 4:36:30 AM2/19/13
Feb 18Will Dockery
On Monday, February 18, 2013 9:15:40 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 9:11 PMWill Dockery

> Well, as soon as I determine the approach I want to take I'll write and
> send you something.
>
> Of course the readers already knowing me and George are involved is a bit
> of a spoiler, but it could also make for a more interesting game, if we
> decide to try to disguise ourselves in different characters than the
> public usually sees us as.
>
> That's the value of anonymous posting. No one will know exactly who's who
> till the end.

We, me and George are such iconic figures that I doubt it'll be that well
hidden, but it'll be fun, no doubt.

That's the whole point, edutainment, learn and have fun at the same time.

Will Dockery

Feb 19, 2013, 7:12:35 AM2/19/13
On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:36:30 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Feb 18Will Dockery
>
> > Well, as soon as I determine the approach I want to take I'll write and
>
> > send you something.
>
> > Of course the readers already knowing me and George are involved is a bit
>
> > of a spoiler, but it could also make for a more interesting game, if we
>
> > decide to try to disguise ourselves in different characters than the
>
> > public usually sees us as.
>
> > That's the value of anonymous posting. No one will know exactly who's who
>
> > till the end.
>
> We, me and George are such iconic figures that I doubt it'll be that well
>
> hidden, but it'll be fun, no doubt.
>
> That's the whole point, edutainment, learn and have fun at the same time.

Okay, I'm pretty sure what I want to kick off with but want to wait until a little closer to deadline in case something I like better happens before then.

Hoping we get plenty of new folks involved, also, so am trying to get this link (to this thread) into places where as many poets as possible can find it.

Hieronymous House

Feb 19, 2013, 7:28:25 AM2/19/13
Good deal. Spread the word, Will. Thanks.

Will Dockery

Feb 19, 2013, 7:41:29 AM2/19/13
On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:28:25 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Good deal. Spread the word, Will. Thanks.

As I've hinted at/speculated on, I might be in disguise with my poem, a chance to break out of "character", and who knows, maybe make a step in my wayward evolution as a poet.

Or not.

Hieronymous House

Feb 19, 2013, 7:55:52 AM2/19/13
7:41 AMWill Dockery
All entries are presented anonymously, and in the order I receive them. No self-references allowed. Let people guess if it's you or not. Watch, you'll notice that the crits become less personal and more about the words and what they express and convey. The inherent irony of contests and games, and the chance they provide to cheat, is that they also provide us an opportunity to see and express things more openly and honestly. After all, it's just one little Usenet group Poet of The Month contest. Not much exposure. No big prizes. No big deal. No worries.

Will Dockery

Feb 19, 2013, 8:10:28 AM2/19/13
On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:55:52 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:

> All entries are presented anonymously, and in the order I receive them. No self-references allowed. Let people guess if it's you or not. Watch, you'll notice that the crits become less personal and more about the words and what they express and convey. The inherent irony of contests and games, and the chance they provide to cheat, is that they also provide us an opportunity to see and express things more openly and honestly. After all, it's just one little Usenet group Poet of The Month contest. Not much exposure. No big prizes. No big deal. No worries.

I'm aware of all this, but for folks following this thread information like this is valuable, sort of an FAQ.

Hieronymous House

Feb 19, 2013, 8:14:23 AM2/19/13
8:10 AMWill Dockery

I'm aware of all this, but for folks following this thread information like this is valuable, sort of an FAQ.

Oh, okay. That's perfect.
I'll just FAQ off now then.

Will Dockery

Feb 19, 2013, 8:21:38 AM2/19/13
Sounds like a plan.

Hieronymous House

Feb 19, 2013, 10:47:08 AM2/19/13
Sure, FAQ you too.

Will Dockery

Feb 26, 2013, 9:55:36 AM2/26/13

"Hieronymous House" <hierony...@gmail.com> wrote in message
The idea is to be accommodating and inclusive of all types of poets and
poetry as well as personally challenging enough to everyone so as to
maintain and grow interest and involvement.

Deadline is Midnight tonight... 32 line maximum.

Who-- will step into the Thunderdome agin me?

--
Twilight Girl / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:
http://youtu.be/BYETTK16jQI

Hieronymous House

Feb 26, 2013, 9:58:33 AM2/26/13

9:55 AMWill Dockery

"Hieronymous House" <hierony...@gmail.com> wrote in message
The idea is to be accommodating and inclusive of all types of poets and
poetry as well as personally challenging enough to everyone so as to
maintain and grow interest and involvement.

Deadline is Midnight tonight... 32 line maximum.

Who-- will step into the Thunderdome agin me?

You do have a little competition. Not much yet though.

Will Dockery

Feb 26, 2013, 10:08:17 AM2/26/13
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:58:33 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 9:55 AM Will Dockery
>> "Hieronymous House" <hierony...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The idea is to be accommodating and inclusive of all types of poets and
>
> poetry as well as personally challenging enough to everyone so as to
>
> maintain and grow interest and involvement.
>
>> Deadline is Midnight tonight... 32 line maximum.
>
>> Who-- will step into the Thunderdome agin me?
>
> You do have a little competition. Not much yet though.

How many poets do we need to get it rolling, again?

I'm sure you detailed that, but I forgot.

Hieronymous House

Feb 26, 2013, 10:58:53 AM2/26/13
Thanks.

Will Dockery

Feb 26, 2013, 8:36:51 PM2/26/13
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:58:53 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Thanks.

Well, I had what I thought was a short poem ready, addressed to you and everything, then made a "line count" before sending and somehow the poem had expanded to 47 lines, so I'm thinking on what to do there.

Probably won't be much of a problem since the line breaks seem a bit overdone anyhow, so that may fix it by retooling it once again.

Maybe a but more coffee and scope it out, probably needs more work anyhow.

Alternative will be to save this one and send something else which seems doubtful with deadline three hours away.

Hieronymous House

Feb 26, 2013, 8:39:20 PM2/26/13
8:36 PMWill Dockery
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 10:58:53 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Thanks.

Well, I had what I thought was a short poem ready, addressed to you and everything, then made a "line count" before sending and somehow the poem had expanded to 47 lines, so I'm thinking on what to do there.

Probably won't be much of a problem since the line breaks seem a bit overdone anyhow, so that may fix it by retooling it once again.

Maybe a but more coffee and scope it out, probably needs more work anyhow.

Alternative will be to save this one and send something else which seems doubtful with deadline three hours away.

Thanks again. Look forward to it!

Hieronymous House

Feb 26, 2013, 8:43:29 PM2/26/13
George,

To be fair to all contestants, please
resubmit your entry to the appropriate
email address as stipulated in the rules.

Thanks.

Will Dockery

Feb 26, 2013, 10:45:27 PM2/26/13
On Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:39:20 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 8:36 PM Will Dockery
Okay, I have it down to size, and giving it a going over, so it should be in your email box in a few minutes.

Kind of liking this one, myself.

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2013, 5:09:00 AM3/7/13
Congratulations to Dana Dodd... voted Poet of the Month!

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/LSS-3CTN6xM/9Hec4yZnXcAJ

All votes have been tabulated
and the winner is My Child by
Ms. Dana Dodd. Thanks for
All your interest and input.

--

My Child

Morning dew soaks bare feet
Walking in early hours of dawn
Honeysuckle sweet
And birds summer song
Fills the air
A child again out on the lawn
Down in the clover and daffodils
Looking for fairies
They must be real
Climbing up high
In the Chinaberry tree
White linen billows on a fair breeze
Nighttime falls and fireflies fly
We dance with the moon
And the stars in the sky

https://www.facebook.com/Jesamjeden/posts/343024242474084?notif_t=like

Just an idea based on an old rap battle/ poetry slam theme, Poet of The
Month Contest - A monthly single elimination poetry tournament. Entries to
be submitted to the contest organizer who posts them anonymously to the
group, 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc. Winners of each round to be determined by votes
in group by all entrants, and advancing to subsequent rounds. Each round
requires a new, original poetry effort. Original authors retain all
copyrights, of course. Any interest?

--
Idle Hour Night / The Shadowville All-Stars
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/15928895-idle-hour-night--dockery-mallard

Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 5:59:18 AM3/7/13
5:56 AMqwerty...@gmail.com

What did she end up winning?

Props.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 6:10:20 AM3/7/13
6:00 AMqwerty...@gmail.com

meh.
hope she owns a plane.
glad I didn't participate.

You didn't submit an entry, but your participation in the thread, and in the discussion of the contest and its merits, or lack thereof, was valuable, instructive and is greatly appreciated, if by no one else, me. Thanks.

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2013, 6:18:25 AM3/7/13
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:10:20 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 6:00 AMqwerty wrote:
>
>> meh.

?> hope she owns a plane.

>> glad I didn't participate.
>
> You didn't submit an entry, but your participation in the thread, and in the discussion of the contest and its merits, or lack thereof, was valuable, instructive and is greatly appreciated, if by no one else, me. Thanks.

H, your readings, comments, suggestions on my poem "Problems at Salisbury Fair" have been valuable to me and will certainly help with my expansion/rewrite of that poem.

Thanks again.

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & Friends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery
Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2013, 6:50:30 AM3/7/13
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:32:45 AM UTC-5, qwerty...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2013 6:18:25 AM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > H, your readings, comments, suggestions on my poem "Problems at Salisbury Fair" have been valuable to me and will certainly help with my expansion/rewrite of that poem.
>
> > Thanks again.
>
> yay!

The first rewrite will pop up here in a couple of days... I look forward to whatever you or anyone here has on it... even the off topic stuff can have a shaping influence on the poetry, is my opinion.

--
Truck Stop Woman / Will Dockery & Henry Conley:
http://youtu.be/Hv6u6GNe6Kk

THE COLONEL

Mar 7, 2013, 1:31:40 PM3/7/13
"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Congratulations to Dana Dodd... voted Poet of the Month!

Who the hell is this nobody?

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2013, 2:12:10 PM3/7/13
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:31:40 PM UTC-5, THE COLONEL wrote:
> "Will Dockery" wrote in message

> > Congratulations to Dana Dodd... voted Poet of the Month!
>
> Who the hell is this nobody?

Dana Dodd is the poet who won the contest, is your reading comprehension that lousy?

--
Swamp Street Exile / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_11676601

Will Dockery

Mar 7, 2013, 2:13:42 PM3/7/13
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 1:31:40 PM UTC-5, THE COLONEL wrote:
> "Will Dockery" wrote in message

> > Congratulations to Dana Dodd... voted Poet of the Month!
>
> Who the hell is this

More than you'll ever be, obviously.

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 2:38:39 PM3/7/13
1:31 PMTHE COLONEL
Nobody you know, obviously.
Message has been deleted

George Dance

Mar 7, 2013, 6:22:40 PM3/7/13
On Mar 7, 6:15 pm, Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> wrote:
> In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:31:40 -0800, THE
>
> COLONEL <dogpa...@caribbeancity.net> wrote:
> > "Will Dockery" <will.dock...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Congratulations to Dana Dodd... voted Poet of the Month!
>
> > Who the hell is this nobody?
>
> He's Dana Dodd!
> He prays to God
> to save him from the sinners!
>
> His face is odd!
> He dines on cod!
> And all his bets are winners!
>
> Like you, I haven't a clue who Dana Dodd is, but I suspect my poem is
> better than his. (Or perhaps better than hers.)

We'd have to see your poem first, ~PJ~. When are you planning to post
one?

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 7:09:14 PM3/7/13
6:22 PMGeorge Dance
We needn't see any poem from PJ for him to suspect his is better than Dana's, which is what he stated. He can suspect whatever he wants. You have your theories, remember? Well, PJ rounds up his usual suspects in the same way as you have your theories. Since Dana doesn't post here and the entry was submitted via email, the assertion that he hasn't a clue is true. I don't even know who Dana Dodd is. That's just the name the author of the poem identified themselves by in email.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 7:36:50 PM3/7/13
7:18 PMPeter J Ross
Dana Dodd allegedly wrote:

HTH.

Allegedly, your comments to Dana Dodd are about as helpful as the 'RIP, so-and-so' posts that one occasionally finds here on the passing of some well remembered so-and-so.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 7:51:29 PM3/7/13
7:47 PMqwerty...@gmail.com

His comments could help any writer that read them and applied them to their own writing.
Even you.

RIP, so-and-so has the exact same effect.

HTH

George Dance

Mar 7, 2013, 8:25:24 PM3/7/13
On Mar 7, 7:18 pm, Peter J Ross <p...@example.invalid> wrote:
> Dana Dodd allegedly wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> > Honeysuckle sweet
> > And birds summer song
> > Fills the air
>
> <...>
>
> Try to have your writing have appropriate apostrophes in it.
>
> Try not to natural word order invert.
>
> Try to be aware that the idea of honeysuckle being sweet has been used
> seventy billion times before.
>
> Alternatively, find a hobby that suits your talents (whatever they may
> be) better. Being a stooge for the copyright-abusers who temporarily
> infest AAPC doesn't count as a talent.
>
> HTH.
>
> --
> PJR :-)

What's your motive, ~PJ~: Jealousy, revenge, or (as you and your
friends like to claim when your stuff ic criticized) both?

If it bothers you that much, you can always recruit someone to come
onto the group, hold their own contest, and simply declare you the
winner. Oh, wait ...
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Mar 7, 2013, 8:36:10 PM3/7/13
8:32 PMqwerty...@gmail.com
Maybe on you, there are others reading here as well, you know.

HTH

Regards
-H

Exactly. Good point.
Good night. Rest in peace.

Regards, H.

HTH

George Dance

Mar 7, 2013, 9:37:13 PM3/7/13
On Mar 7, 7:47 pm, qwertyh123...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:36:50 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> > 7:18 PMPeter J Ross
>
> > HTH.
>
> > Allegedly, your comments to Dana Dodd are about as helpful as the 'RIP, so-and-so' posts that one occasionally finds here on the passing of some well remembered so-and-so.
>
> His comments could help any writer that read them and applied them to their own writing.

Show, don't tell. Read his comments and write a poem applying them,
and we'll see if it's any better than what you've produced previously.

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 5:06:07 AM3/8/13
Mar 7George Dance

Show, don't tell. Read his comments and write a poem applying them,
and we'll see if it's any better than what you've produced previously.

Before we can see if a poem applying his comments is any better,
we first have to agree on what constitutes a better poem, to whom
it is better, and for what reasons it is considered better; technical
merit, aesthetic sense, Whatever.

Will Dockery

Mar 8, 2013, 7:56:40 AM3/8/13

"Peter J Ross" <p...@example.invalid> wrote in message
> In alt.arts.poetry.comments on Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:31:40 -0800, THE
> COLONEL <dogp...@caribbeancity.net> wrote:
>> "Will Dockery" wrote in message
>
>> Congratulations to Dana Dodd... voted Poet of the Month!
>>
>> Who the hell is
>
> He's Dana Dodd!
> He prays to God
> to save him from the sinners!
>
> His face is odd!
> He dines on cod!
> And all his bets are winners!
>
> Like you, I haven't a clue who Dana Dodd is, but I suspect my poem is
> better than his. (Or perhaps better than hers.)

Your poem does have a certain Englishter charm.

Chuck Lysaght

Mar 8, 2013, 8:11:00 AM3/8/13
Poor Pete. Always whining.

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 8:12:28 AM3/8/13

8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.
8:11 AMChuck Lysaght
Poor Pete. Always whining.

Will Dockery

Mar 8, 2013, 9:16:51 AM3/8/13
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:18:44 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:

> Being a stooge for the copyright-abusers

Is Michael Cook posting (and stealing/copyright abusing) again, or are you
referring to when you defended and applauded Cook's thievery and copyright
abuse in previous years, PJR?

--
Idle Hour Night / The Shadowville All-Stars
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/15928895-idle-hour-night--dockery-mallard

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 9:24:45 AM3/8/13
9:16 AMWill Dockery
On Thursday, March 7, 2013 7:18:44 PM UTC-5, Peter J Ross wrote:

> Being a stooge for the copyright-abusers

Is Michael Cook posting (and stealing/copyright abusing) again, or are you
referring to when you defended and applauded Cook's thievery and copyright
abuse in previous years, PJR?

Neither, actually. He's just pulling your string
like you're a yo-yo. As long as you don't mind
being used like a child's plaything, no worries.

Will Dockery

Mar 8, 2013, 9:49:40 AM3/8/13
Hieronymous House wrote:
> 9:16 AM Will Dockery
>> Peter J Ross wrote:
>
> > Being a stooge for the copyright-abusers
>
>> Is Michael Cook posting (and stealing/copyright abusing) again, or are you
>> referring to when you defended and applauded Cook's thievery and copyright
>> abuse in previous years, PJR?
>
> Neither, actually. He's just pulling

<snip>

Pulling his usual hypocritical, lying trick?

"We know."

And I have no problem agreeing with him that he's just a stooge for a copyright abuser.

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 10:02:38 AM3/8/13

9:49 AMWill Dockery

And I have no problem agreeing with him that he's just a stooge for a copyright abuser.

I agree completely, although nobody can be shown to have actually abused your copyright unless you were forced to defend your copyright in court, which you didn't have to do because Cook apologized and backed off. Thus no real abuse occurred, no real damage done or need for any remuneration. You didn't lose anything, money or whatever, so he doesn't owe you anything. It's mindless child's play by a guy with too much time on his hands. You can either let it go, or keep jumping at the chance to remind yourself how somebody played with your poem once. It's just an ancient group memory now, really no big deal.

Chuck Lysaght

Mar 8, 2013, 12:50:46 PM3/8/13
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

Will Dockery

Mar 8, 2013, 1:31:55 PM3/8/13
On Friday, March 8, 2013 10:02:38 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 9:49 AM Will Dockery
Yes, I see your point and besically agree, but like almost everyone else here, including PJR, I like getting in the last word.

Who knows, maybe this will be that word.

--
Idle Hour Night / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars (Brian Mallard, Jack Snipe, Rusty Wood, Eric M. Gunter, Terry Gannon & Gary Frankfurth):
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/15928895-idle-hour-night--dockery-mallard

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 4:02:59 PM3/8/13
12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght
Michael Cook. What a fuckhead he was!

12:50 PMChuck Lysaght

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 4:19:18 PM3/8/13
1:31 PMWill Dockery
On Friday, March 8, 2013 10:02:38 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 9:49 AM Will Dockery
Yes, I see your point and besically agree, but like almost everyone else here, including PJR, I like getting in the last word.

Who knows, maybe this will be that word.

You got it. Different subject: Tell your brother I got his letter today, was very touched, and I'll get back to him ASAP. Thanks.

Cujo DeSockpuppet

Mar 8, 2013, 4:20:42 PM3/8/13
Chuck Lysaght <theguyo...@veryfast.biz> wrote in news:9adf5fa1-5b3c-
4d24-800a-e...@googlegroups.com:

> What a fuckhead
> http://skywriter.diaryland.com/

Don't sell yourself short, Kluckwit, you're a douchebag too.

"I have NEVER been incorrect!" - Ed in denial.

Chuck Lysaght

Mar 8, 2013, 4:52:29 PM3/8/13
Cujo. What the fuck is wrong with you?

George Dance

Mar 8, 2013, 6:15:08 PM3/8/13
That's obviously not true, since people have been classifying poems as
'better' or 'worse' (and even in absolute terms, as 'good' or bad')
here for years, and elsewhere for centuries, in the absence of any
such agreement.

Hieronymous House

Mar 8, 2013, 6:15:10 PM3/8/13
4:52 PMChuck Lysaght

[...]