cannot access web page after fsck

SeeHeng Lee

Sep 14, 2012, 8:33:02 PM9/14/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have a problem with my flashed Alt-F DNS33 unit.

I recently had to remove power plug without a propse. shutdown. Since then, whenever I power up the DNS323, the status page show "Checking...x%".  I could access telnet at this stage. After I left it running till near completion, I cannot access the webpage or telnet anymore.

I tried booting the DNS323 without the HardDisk, and there was no problem.  Similarly, if I telnet into the DNS32 during the initial stage, I could kill the fsck process, and sometimes mounted the disk as RO.

I also read the wiki, and tried some recovery steps you mentioned in other threads in this forum, all without success.

Do you have any more ideas?

Joao Cardoso

Sep 15, 2012, 9:03:47 PM9/15/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:33:02 AM UTC+1, SeeHeng Lee wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with my flashed Alt-F DNS33 unit.

I recently had to remove power plug without a propse. shutdown. Since then, whenever I power up the DNS323, the status page show "Checking...x%".  I could access telnet at this stage. After I left it running till near completion,

Why don't you wait until it finishes?

I cannot access the webpage or telnet anymore.

This issue returned?! Only after the unclean shutdown, or before that also?

I tried booting the DNS323 without the HardDisk, and there was no problem.  Similarly, if I telnet into the DNS32 during the initial stage, I could kill the fsck process, and sometimes mounted the disk as RO.

After an unclean shutdown a 'fsck' has to be performed. Alt-F always performs a fsck at boot or disk insertion/detection; if the filesystems in the disk are clean, the fsck only takes a couple of seconds; if they are dirty, 'fsck' can take hours to complete; if there is some problem that fsck does not dare to automatically fix, the filesystems are mounted RO and manual intervention is needed.

Consult System->Utilities->Logs, System Log, and search for fsk and "manual intervention". If it appears in the logs, you have to ssh/telnet the box and perform a manual fsck, not supplying a '-p' option, and, optionally supplying a '-y' option, such as 'fsck -fy /dev/<your device here, such as sda2>'

Alt-F does not perform a fsck this way automatically as there is the possibility of data loss, that's why filesystems are mounted RO, so you might do a backup before performing the "force, yes (-fy)" fsck.

I also read the wiki, and tried some recovery steps you mentioned in other threads in this forum, all without success.

This has nothing to do with recovery.

SeeHeng Lee

Oct 20, 2012, 7:48:04 AM10/20/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:03:47 AM UTC+8, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:33:02 AM UTC+1, SeeHeng Lee wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with my flashed Alt-F DNS33 unit.

I recently had to remove power plug without a propse. shutdown. Since then, whenever I power up the DNS323, the status page show "Checking...x%".  I could access telnet at this stage. After I left it running till near completion,

Why don't you wait until it finishes?

The process "cannot" finish.  If I leave it running, eventually the web page becomes not responsive at all.  I cannot do anything after that.

I cannot access the webpage or telnet anymore.

This issue returned?! Only after the unclean shutdown, or before that also?

After waiting for fsck to complete for a long time.

Joao Cardoso

Oct 22, 2012, 3:34:00 PM10/22/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, October 20, 2012 12:48:04 PM UTC+1, SeeHeng Lee wrote:

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 9:03:47 AM UTC+8, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:33:02 AM UTC+1, SeeHeng Lee wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem with my flashed Alt-F DNS33 unit.

I recently had to remove power plug without a propse. shutdown. Since then, whenever I power up the DNS323, the status page show "Checking...x%".  I could access telnet at this stage. After I left it running till near completion,

Why don't you wait until it finishes?

The process "cannot" finish.  If I leave it running, eventually the web page becomes not responsive at all.  I cannot do anything after that.

If 'fsck' is taking so long, perhaps you don't have enough virtual memory (swap).
How was your disks partitioned?  What does appears as "Swap" the Status page?

SeeHeng Lee

Oct 24, 2012, 6:26:59 AM10/24/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

If 'fsck' is taking so long, perhaps you don't have enough virtual memory (swap).
How was your disks partitioned?  What does appears as "Swap" the Status page?

Sorry I have already reformatted so I do not have that number anymore.