Difference transfer rate when copying files: 20 MB/s using Dlink firmware and 10MB/s with ALT-F

Vincent Leplumey

Nov 27, 2012, 9:14:00 PM11/27/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have the following hardware:
 - 1 DNS 323 declared in JOBD
 - 1 router DIR 825
 - 1 gigabit Dlink switch
 - 1 desktop with a 1 giga network adapter

Desktop is connected to the router
Router is connected to the gigabit Dlink switch
DNS 323 is connected to the switch

When I copy a large file (MP4) of 3.5 giga from the NAS into the Desktop, the transfer rate is:
- around 10 MB per seconds when using ALT-F (reload method)
- around 20 MB per seconds when using DLink firmware

Is there a way to configure the ALT-F so I can get a better rate transfer?
Note: the information of the rate transfer comes from Win 7 window that appears when you run a copy and that you click on more details, line Speed: see attachment highlighted in yellow

Also when I mount a USB thumb the transfer rate is poor: around 5 Mb/s. Same question; is there a way to configure Alt-F to have a faster transfer rate?

Thank you

TransferRate.JPG

Joao Cardoso

Dec 5, 2012, 11:07:48 AM12/5/12

This is a recurrent question, and I always answer that the latest software versions (not only samba) are generally bloated, if compared with previous versions.

Now I decided to see if I was really right, or if I was just an unfair looser ;-)

So, I downloaded samba-3.0.24, that accordingly to http://dns323.kood.org/ is the samba version that ships with the DNS-323, compiled it with the same tools and options that the stock Alt-F samba is compiled, and installed and started it on the DNS-323.

I then used it to read a 1.5GB file on a RAID-1/ext3 filesystem in the nas to a MS-Vista computer over a 1Gbps network, and it measured 22.5MB/s, using the same method that you used.

The same file, using the current samba-3.5.15 version, transferred at 14.5MB/s.

So, I was right, and I'm not a bad sportsman (I always loose with a smile in my face :-)

As machines where software developers work become more and more powerful, both in CPU and memory, they (developers) start to neglect small (for their machines) performances issues, and start adding more and more features. That has a significant impact on lower performance boxes, but, who cares? buy a new machine!

[edited: the above phrase intended to be sarcastic, at least the planet cares]

Joao

Joao Cardoso

Nov 28, 2012, 11:36:37 PM11/28/12

Nov 29, 2012, 12:01:45 AM11/29/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Dec 5, 2012, 10:11:42 AM12/5/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Of course, the previous versions  burned into the firmware will become available again  if the disk where packages are installed is removed. And probably disks will no longer spin-down anymore, as programs are now running from them.

Very great idea ! Unfortunately no spin-down is a significant restriction for an usual usage

Dick O

Dec 7, 2012, 6:59:19 PM12/7/12

Very great idea ! Unfortunately no spin-down is a significant restriction for an usual usage

Maybe it's an option to install those packages on a usb flashdrive to avoid the lack of spin-down?

Joao Cardoso (Alt-F)

Dec 7, 2012, 9:37:04 PM12/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 07 December 2012 15:58:53 Dick O wrote:
> Op woensdag 5 december 2012 16:11:42 UTC+1 schreef Stealth het volgende:
> > Very great idea ! Unfortunately no spin-down is a significant
> > restrictionfor an usual usage
> Maybe it's an option to install those packages on a usb flashdrive to avoid
> the lack of spin-down?

All packages have to be installed in the same filesystem.
Of course it is possible to have several install locations, but that is not
going to be an Alt-F feature.

So, if anybody wants to avoid disk spindown problems with *any* *running*
package, it must specify as the install location a USB pen filesystem.

Beware that some packages services might do heavy writes to the USB, such as
updating databases, shortening the USB pen life.

It is possible, by using a few commands, to transfer a current Alt-F package
installation from one place to another.
A tentative, untested approach follows, please report back success or in-
success.

Start to stop all services, preferably after a reboot, to avoid possible
problems.
Use 'rcall status' to make sure that all services are stopped. Some services,
that use kernel modules that can't be unloaded, can't be fully "stopped"; so
these have to be boot disabled before the reboot.

---8<-------------
#!/bin/sh

new=/mnt/sdc1 # replace with new Alt-F root fs location
curr=$(readlink -f /Alt-F)

if ! mountpoint -q $new; then
echo "NO, $new has to be a filesystem mountpoint"
exit 1
fi

if test -d $new/Alt-F; then
echo "NO, $new/Alt-F already exists"