Transmission Not Working after RC5 update

Damien Sturt

Jun 29, 2016, 4:19:04 PM6/29/16
to Alt-F
hi there,

just updated to the latest version and my Transmission no longer works. states that its installed but when i try to start it or configure it or tell it to load at start up it says it cant find it.

Error message when i try to start it states "services_proc.cgi: line 66: rctransmission: not found"

any ideas?

João Cardoso

Jun 30, 2016, 8:12:16 PM6/30/16
to Alt-F
Have you already rebooted? *What* is your box model and rev?
You have to resort to the command line to debug that.

rc<service>, such as rctransmission, rcsmb or rcminidlna are shortcuts to services init scripts. They can be found at folder /etc/init.d and are named as S<NN><service> where <NN> is a number. Transmission initscript is named /etc/init.d/S81transmission.

At boot time, for each S<NN><service> file found, a shortcut called rc<service> is created.
When a filesystem is mounted and the Alt-F folder is found at its root, the same happens for all S<NN><service> files found at /Alt-F/etc/init.d.

Now, for some fw/boxes, Transmission is pre-installed in the base firmware, while for other fw boxes(DNS-323/321) it has to be installed on disk. Also, when upgrading a pre-installed package, it will be done on disk, and that copy on disk overrides/shadows the one in the firmware.
So, what is your box model?
Is the Transmission "Remove" button under Packages->Alt-F active (on-disk installation or  upgraded) or is it disabled (pre-installed, not removable) ?

Does the initscript file exists? Can you post the output of the following command

ls -la /Alt-F/etc/init.d

If S81transmission appears in the list, what is the output of the following commands

sh /Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission status
sh
/Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission start

any ideas?

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jul 1, 2016, 10:47:29 AM7/1/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I updated mine today (DNS-323, Rev B1), and I got the same problem.

initscripts files are there, and when trying to start it, it does this:

[root@NAS]# sh /Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission start
transmission-daemon: Folders does not exist, you must configure Transmission first.

Looks like Transmission is updated to latest version, and the "Remove" button is active:

Curious thing is, when going in Services> User, que "transmission.backup" auto start is deactivated, and there's no way to activate it (I remember that it was activated before):

​I try to add a folder using GUI, but looks like the settings are not being saved.

On system log, I can only find this message related to Transmission, which appeared when I started the NAS:

Jul 1 14:11:31 NAS user.notice hot_aux: Restarting transmission-daemon: Stopping transmission-daemon: OK. Starting transmission-daemon: Fail.
Jul 1 14:11:32 NAS user.notice hot_aux: Restarting transmission-daemon: Stopping transmission-daemon: OK. Starting transmission-daemon: Fail.

When trying to edit manually file/link /var/lib/transmission/settings.json, it has the following content:

transmission-daemon: can't resolve symbol 'SSLv2_client_method'

Looks like all Transmission config files were overwritten by this content. And, of course, transmission folder was the ONLY folder I didn't make a backup to restore this file....

Does anyone has the settings.json file from transmission to send to me? Maybe replacing it there I would be able to see the next messages....

Thanks!

[]´s
Paulo

João Cardoso

Jul 1, 2016, 3:03:49 PM7/1/16
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, 1 July 2016 15:47:29 UTC+1, Paulo Elifaz Andrielli wrote:
Hi there,

I updated mine today (DNS-323, Rev B1), and I got the same problem.

initscripts files are there, and when trying to start it, it does this:

[root@NAS]# sh /Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission start
transmission-daemon: Folders does not exist, you must configure Transmission first.

That means that the configuration file was overwritten and the Transmission folder in it is set to "Public". Use the "Configure" button to change that.
BTW, the conf file is /etc/transmission/transmission.conf *not* /var/lib/settings.json. The init script creates a link from the last to the first.

Looks like Transmission is updated to latest version, and the "Remove" button is active:

It shouldn't be active! Try Remove it. Will 2.84 appears? Remove it!
Don't know what happened...

Edited: my mistake, it should be active, I misunderstood that your box was a 323. Anyway, try uninstall it. Verify also if libevent2-2.1.5 and libcurl-7.22.0-2 (transmission dependencies)

Curious thing is, when going in Services> User, que "transmission.backup" auto start is deactivated, and there's no way to activate it (I remember that it was activated before):

There is no such thing in Alt-F. That was you that create a S81transmission backup file.

​I try to add a folder using GUI, but looks like the settings are not b
eing saved.

On system log, I can only find this message related to Transmission, which appeared when I started the NAS:

Jul 1 14:11:31 NAS user.notice hot_aux: Restarting transmission-daemon: Stopping transmission-daemon: OK. Starting transmission-daemon: Fail.
Jul 1 14:11:32 NAS user.notice hot_aux: Restarting transmission-daemon: Stopping transmission-daemon: OK. Starting transmission-daemon: Fail.

When trying to edit manually file/link /var/lib/transmission/settings.json, it has the following content:

transmission-daemon: can't resolve symbol 'SSLv2_client_method'

hooowww!

RC5 contains a new openssl without SSLv2/v3 compiled-in. Python fails because of that.
Edited: libcurl (a Transmission dependency) depends on openssl.
That means that you are indeed running transmission 2.84 or something is very wrong.
Remove the conf file ("both" of them in /etc/... and /var/...), remove Transmission using the webUI, reinstall, and see if the SSL2 message reappears.

Looks like all Transmission config files were overwritten by this content. And, of course, transmission folder was the ONLY folder I didn't make a backup to restore this file....

The /var/lib/transmission folder and the user webUI setup transmission folder was *not*  removed.

Does anyone has the settings.json file from transmission to send to me?

When it is not found it is recreated -- the SSL2 error is the init script failed attempt to recreate it.

Hooligan99

Jul 4, 2016, 12:42:58 PM7/4/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Same issues with transmission probably caused by libevent2 2.1.5 (same error during update as when I tried a transmission re-install) so I removed everything. When re-installling transmission I still get the libevent2 errors and transmission will not install:

Installing transmission (2.92) to /Alt-F...
Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/transmission_2.92_arm.ipk
Installing libevent2 (2.1.5) to /Alt-F...
Downloading http://sourceforge.net/projects/alt-f/files/pkgs/unstable/libevent2_2.1.5_arm.ipk
An error ocurred, return value: 3.
Collected errors:
Package libevent2 wants to install file /Alt-F/usr/lib/libevent.so
	But that file is already provided by package libevent
Package libevent2 wants to install file /Alt-F/usr/lib/libevent_core.so
	But that file is already provided by package libevent
Package libevent2 wants to install file /Alt-F/usr/lib/libevent_extra.so
	But that file is already provided by package libevent

João Cardoso

Jul 4, 2016, 1:03:49 PM7/4/16
to Alt-F
That is a bug, both libevent and libevent2 use the same file names, and ipkg is complaining.
libevent is not used anymore (I believe), remove it before installing libevent2. If you get an error while trying to remove libevent please report back the error message. (and if it works fine report back also :-)

Thanks.

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jul 4, 2016, 2:52:02 PM7/4/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
In my case, I removed both libs, and transmission. Installed libs again, and then, Transmission. Same issue of download path not being accepted (like "read only file").

But now, since I started from the beginning, I will go with more details once I arrive home (I was doing this remotely on my lunch time).

[]´s
Paulo

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jul 4, 2016, 4:29:42 PM7/4/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

now I'm checking my Transmission.....

my config file indeed was replaced, even reinstalling Transmission.

As you recommended João, I removed both files/links, and reinstalled Transmission. Guess what? It created a new file, with the same content:

Even trying to setup a download folder in GUI, it takes a while once I press "Submit", and the folder is not saved. Could it be the corrupted config file (or, could it be because config file does not have any entry)?

Anyway, I would be glado if someone sends a config file for transmission, so I can start it over and test it.

Thanks!

[]´s
Paulo

Hooligan99

Jul 4, 2016, 5:05:37 PM7/4/16
to Alt-F
Thanks... That took are of that. Now I have the other problem of not being able to configure Transmission. I can set the folders but it is not saved when I hit submit. The folder permissions match my other working (RC4.1) 323

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jul 4, 2016, 5:09:35 PM7/4/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hooligan99, please paste here the contents of your file:

/etc/transmission/transmission.conf

(If there's any personal information, please remove it. Just to see the output...)

When you save the download folder in GUI, it saves the info inside that file.

[]´s
Paulo

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jul 4, 2016, 5:24:45 PM7/4/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Meanwhile, Im re-creating a config file based on the original ones:

But it takes a while, not all the commands are necessary, so I'm using the ones I remember....

[]´s
Paulo

Hooligan99

Jul 5, 2016, 5:54:28 AM7/5/16
to Alt-F
it doesn't contain transmission settings . it just contains:

transmission-daemon: can't load library 'libevent-2.1.so.5'

Hooligan99

Jul 5, 2016, 5:58:31 AM7/5/16
to Alt-F
Ok, I copied in the config file from my 4.1  323 and transmission is running. no idea if anything is missing from it for the new version...

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jul 5, 2016, 5:59:58 AM7/5/16
to al...@googlegroups.com

Can you please send your file to me?

You can remove the hashed password, ip settings and all this stuff. I just need a file to start over.

Thanks!

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android

yo tu el

Aug 1, 2016, 3:04:49 PM8/1/16
to Alt-F
I had the same problem. For me the solution was easy, I only must delete the corrputed configuration file.

The configuration file was in /etc/transmission and it's called transmission.conf and it's corrupted because this was the content after upgrade:

transmission-daemon: can't load library 'libevent-2.1.so.5'

I think it was a problem with a conflict between libevent and libevent2, when I upgraded it said that it can't install libevent2.

So, the solution is only delete this corrupted configuration file. After that, you must only go to the web interface to configure transmission directory (you can see now the default configuration /Public) and configure transmisstion to your directory and submit. That's all.

I hope this can help you.

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Aug 1, 2016, 4:27:36 PM8/1/16
to al...@googlegroups.com
Now one stranger thing....

I had some issues with network at home, and restarted everything (including DNS-323).

Trasmission (which was configured with a new config file, thanks to Holligan99 to provide me) is not working anymore. Even with the config file OK, when I try to start it, it gives the message:

"Starting transmission-daemon: transmission-daemon: can't resolve symbol 'SSLv2_client_method'Fail."

I was checking the transmission.conf, and everything is fine there. All my config and stuff.....

What could be the issue now?

I'm using rev4.1, but transmission is still the 2.92 (from new version).

[]´s
Paulo

Goolias Andreas

Aug 7, 2016, 6:19:52 AM8/7/16
to Alt-F

I have DNS323, I have problem like others with transmission 2.92 after RC5 upgrade.
Here's my problem
1. more settings.json, doesn't contain transmission setting but shown transmission-daemon: can't load library 'libevent-2.1.so.5'
2. Tried to configure transmission GUI for tranmission folder, unable to start transmission service prompted folder not found.

What I have done:
1. in cmdline ipkg remove transmission, noted the following:
        Removing package transmission from /Alt-F...
         Stopping transmission-daemon: OK.
        delgroup: 'amule' still has 'BT' as their primary group!

2. Ipkg remove amule
3. ipkg install transmission.
4. check settings.json, voila I have all transmission setting in place
5. Configure transmisssion folder in GUI, service started successfully.

Bryan Popka

Oct 19, 2016, 5:43:19 PM10/19/16
to Alt-F
I'm brand new to Alt-F and am running 0.1RC5. I installed Transmission, it is up and running, and I'm able to download torrents using the Transmission web interface. Am I supposed to be able to manage the configuration settings from within the Alt-F web interface? When I click through Packages->Alt-F->Transmission it just takes me to a blank page with the menu on the top and left. I can make changes from the command line by editing /etc/transmission/transmission.conf, but it says Transmission has a "web ui" interface on the main Alt-F page. I assume that means a management page within Alt-F rather than the Transmission web interface for downloading torrents. Am I confused or is there a bug in my Alt-F setup?

BTW, Alt-F is way better than the standard firmware I had using until this afternoon on my DNS-323! I wish I had known about it a long time ago. Thanks for all the hard work!

Bryan

João Cardoso

Oct 20, 2016, 2:29:40 PM10/20/16
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 22:43:19 UTC+1, Bryan Popka wrote:
I'm brand new to Alt-F and am running 0.1RC5. I installed Transmission, it is up and running, and I'm able to download torrents using the Transmission web interface. Am I supposed to be able to manage the configuration settings from within the Alt-F web interface?

No, only the download folder. Previously other configurations were possible, but as the most frequent ones can be done from withing Transmission webUI itself, I removed them

When I click through Packages->Alt-F->Transmission it just takes me to a blank page

That happens because Alt-F tries to "embed" the Transmission web page in its own page, and some sites (mostly https ones) forbids that -- its a security measure.

with the menu on the top and left. I can make changes from the command line by editing /etc/transmission/transmission.conf, but it says Transmission has a "web ui" interface on the main Alt-F page.

Having Transmission running (Services->User) and going to Configure it, a "webUI" button becomes enabled, and the Transmission webUI will be embedded in Alt-F own webUI; you can then even add a shortcut (Shortcut->Add) to the current page, to easy access to frequent pages.

I assume that means a management page within Alt-F rather than the Transmission web interface for downloading torrents. Am I confused or is there a bug in my Alt-F setup?

BTW, Alt-F is way better than the standard firmware I had using until this afternoon on my DNS-323! I wish I had known about it a long time ago. Thanks for all the hard work!

You are welcome :-)

Bryan Popka

Oct 20, 2016, 3:16:06 PM10/20/16
to Alt-F
Thanks for the reply. I noticed the icon for the blocked script on the "blank" page in my Chrome shortly after making the post.

One issue I do still have is how I go about editing the transmission.conf file for settings which do not appear in the web ui. I want to change my download queue size from 5 to 2 because I've noticed I get better performance with few simultaneous downloads.

When I edit the transmission.conf and save it, then issue a "sh /Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission restart", the settings changes are lost. From looking at the S81transmission script, it doesn't look as though transmission.conf is being overwritten from anywhere other than the symlink version at /var/lib/transmission/settings.json and when I edit one the other is updated as you'd expect, so they are always in sync. What am I missing? I'm sure this is simple, but apparently not idiot-proof...

Bryan

João Cardoso

Oct 20, 2016, 4:48:31 PM10/20/16
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 20:16:06 UTC+1, Bryan Popka wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I noticed the icon for the blocked script on the "blank" page in my Chrome shortly after making the post.

One issue I do still have is how I go about editing the transmission.conf file for settings which do not appear in the web ui. I want to change my download queue size from 5 to 2 because I've noticed I get better performance with few simultaneous downloads.

When I edit the transmission.conf and save it, then issue a "sh /Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission restart",

You can just use 'rctransmission restart'. All services support 'rc<service_name> [status|start|stop|restart|enable|disable]', some supports more, such as 'reload'

the settings changes are lost.

Probably Transmission will write to it before stopping; stop Tr first, edit the file, start Tr. Or use 'reload' instead of 'restart'; that will signal Tr that its conf file has changed (not all programs support that in a clean way, please try and tell us if it works for Tr)

Bryan Popka

Oct 20, 2016, 11:08:07 PM10/20/16
to Alt-F
Told you it wasn't "idiot-proof"! I should have remembered I need to STOP transmission before updating the .conf. That did the trick and using the "rctransmission reload" also seemed to work. Thanks for the reminder.

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 4:48 PM João Cardoso <whoami...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 20:16:06 UTC+1, Bryan Popka wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I noticed the icon for the blocked script on the "blank" page in my Chrome shortly after making the post.

One issue I do still have is how I go about editing the transmission.conf file for settings which do not appear in the web ui. I want to change my download queue size from 5 to 2 because I've noticed I get better performance with few simultaneous downloads.

When I edit the transmission.conf and save it, then issue a "sh /Alt-F/etc/init.d/S81transmission restart",

You can just use 'rctransmission restart'. All services support 'rc<service_name> [status|start|stop|restart|enable]', some supports more, such as 'reload'