Alt-F 0.1RC2 problems when trying RAID1 on 3tb drives

Gaiko

Oct 30, 2012, 1:08:22 PM10/30/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

Hi I installed Alt-F and tried using the wizard to setup my DNS323 but i got a few errors so I went through and did it manually and setting up time host etc went fine no prob but setting up disks has been a bit more problematic.

They seem to be ok, this is what i am told on the status screen:

Disks
Bay Dev. Model Capacity Power Status Temp Health
right sda ST3000DM001-9YN166 3000.6 GB active or idle 43°C/109.4°F passed
left sdb Hitachi HDS5C3030ALA630 3000.6 GB active or idle 42°C/107.6°F passed

I think partitioning is in order, below is a screen shot for one disk (the other says practically the same)

When i go to the RAID section it doesn't let me setup RAID1 first time i tried i got:

Stopping all services and disks... done.

GPT partitioning disk sda.../dev/sda raid equal 5860531120 done.

GPT partitioning disk sdb.../dev/sdb raid equal 5860531120 done.

fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

Creating and activating swap in disk sda... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sdb... done.

Creating raid1... failed:

Then i tried formating the disks with ext4 then went back to the RAID section and tried again and got

mdadm: /dev/sda2 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
    size=-1365226024K  mtime=Tue Oct 30 20:48:32 2012
mdadm: /dev/sdb2 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
    size=-1365226024K  mtime=Tue Oct 30 20:49:46 2012

Sorry for my noobness but any help would really be appreciated!!

Cheers,

-Gaiko

Joao Cardoso

Oct 30, 2012, 2:33:32 PM10/30/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
The messages bellow are from the Disk Wizard, not the RAID page.
As you know by reading the forum, the Disk Wizard has problems with 3TB drives.
A fix that seems to work is posted in one of the topics (the 3TB debug thread)

Anyway, from the Disk Partitioner screen shot your manual partitioning seems to be OK.

-As the Disk Wizard that you run afterwards destroyed your manual partitioning, you have to re-partition again and then you should go to Disk->RAID, select RAID1 as the RAID type, select sda2 and sdb2 as the RAID components, and hit the Create button. Then, go to Disk->Filesystem, select the recently created RAID array, probably 'md0', create a filesystem on it and mount it. *But* you still have to create and activate swap *before* trying to create the filesystem!

The Disk Wizard does it all: partition, create and activate swap, create RAID, create filesystem, mount it.

-Or you could try the fix posted.

it doesn't let me setup RAID1 first time i tried i got:

Stopping all services and disks... done.

GPT partitioning disk sda.../dev/sda raid equal 5860531120 done.

GPT partitioning disk sdb.../dev/sdb raid equal 5860531120 done.

fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

Creating and activating swap in disk sda... done.

Creating and activating swap in disk sdb... done.

Creating raid1... failed:

Then i tried formating the disks with ext4 then went back to the RAID section and tried again and got

If the Disk Wizard RAID creation failed, why do think that you could format it?

Gaiko

Nov 1, 2012, 12:26:57 AM11/1/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao, Thanks for the response.
Sorry, i guess i didn't read it all carefully enough, i know there was an issue in RC1 but somehow i got it in my head it was fixed (apologies)

Anyway, from the Disk Partitioner screen shot your manual partitioning seems to be OK.

-As the Disk Wizard that you run afterwards destroyed your manual partitioning, you have to re-partition again and then you should go to Disk->RAID, select RAID1 as the RAID type, select sda2 and sdb2 as the RAID components, and hit the Create button. Then, go to Disk->Filesystem, select the recently created RAID array, probably 'md0', create a filesystem on it and mount it. *But* you still have to create and activate swap *before* trying to create the filesystem!

Two things i guess here. When i try to create the RAID1 drive it tells me "Creating RAID on  failed" but despite that when i look on Disk->Filesystems i see Md0 so i guess it worked? Second, and i am sorry to be asking such a basic question but how does one activate the swap partition? Normally a swap partition is made active when rebooting which i tried but when i try to create a filesystem on md0 it says formatting but when i go to status it shows nothing and when i go back to disk-filesystem md0 is no longer formatting and is well... unformated as far as i can tell (which i am thinking is because of my not having activated the swap partition?).

The Disk Wizard does it all: partition, create and activate swap, create RAID, create filesystem, mount it.

-Or you could try the fix posted.

Thanks, At the risk of being more annoying, I actually had read that post before but it wasn't clear to me how to apply the fix (I am assuming you are refering to the diskwiz_proc.cgi you posted on the 30th?)

Thanks for the help and patience,

-Gaiko

Joao Sousa Cardoso

Nov 1, 2012, 2:16:18 PM11/1/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday 31 October 2012 21:26:57 Gaiko wrote:

> Hi Joao, Thanks for the response.

> On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:33:32 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

> > On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:08:22 PM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

> Thanks, At the risk of being more annoying, I actually had read that post

> before but it wasn't clear to me how to apply the fix (I am assuming you

> are refering to the diskwiz_proc.cgi you posted on the 30th?)

Please use the group's top search entry-form and

search for 'As this is one of the most read topics' in Alt-F

You will find instructions there. Download all the 4 attached files, plus the updated diskwiz_proc.cgi posted in the "3TB debug topic".

Just a question: How did you partition the disks whose screen shoots you show in your first post? The partitioning is OK, did you used the command line? or the Disk Partitioner?

Gaiko

Nov 3, 2012, 11:10:21 AM11/3/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:16:24 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Wednesday 31 October 2012 21:26:57 Gaiko wrote:

> Hi Joao, Thanks for the response.

> On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:33:32 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

> > On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:08:22 PM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

> Thanks, At the risk of being more annoying, I actually had read that post

> before but it wasn't clear to me how to apply the fix (I am assuming you

> are refering to the diskwiz_proc.cgi you posted on the 30th?)

Please use the group's top search entry-form and

search for 'As this is one of the most read topics' in Alt-F

Found it, thank you very much! (Will read, hopefully no further questions)

You will find instructions there. Download all the 4 attached files, plus the updated diskwiz_proc.cgi posted in the "3TB debug topic".

Alright.

Just a question: How did you partition the disks whose screen shoots you show in your first post? The partitioning is OK, did you used the command line? or the Disk Partitioner?

Actually i used the "disk partitioner" (so far I have been too lazy to try remotely logging in)

Joao Cardoso

Nov 4, 2012, 9:23:50 PM11/4/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Then the Disk Partitioner is  doing its job alright on 3TB disks.
It also creates and activates swap, so the only think you have to do after using it is to create the RAID (using sda2/sdb2 as the RAID components to create the md0 RAID), then create the filesystem on the md0 RAID. That is all explained in the online help, read it hitting the question mark icon on the relevant pages.

Tom_1967

Nov 7, 2012, 5:45:55 PM11/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
This does not work. Pleas release RC3 including the fixes soon.

Thank you very much.

Joao Cardoso

Nov 7, 2012, 8:08:40 PM11/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:45 PM, Tom_1967 <imprez...@yahoo.de> wrote:
This does not work.

Please describe the problem

Pleas release RC3 including the fixes soon.

And how can I know that the fixes work without someone test them?.

Tom_1967

Nov 7, 2012, 11:59:03 PM11/7/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joao,

I apologize for my rude request before, but I was really annoyed with this 3 TB issue. I have two Seagat barracuda 3 TB drives and I prepared them as you described:

1. You have to re-partition again and then you should go to
2. Disk->RAID, select RAID1 as the RAID type, select sda2 and sdb2 as the RAID components, and hit the Create button.
3. Then, go to Disk->Filesystem, select the recently created RAID array, probably 'md0', create a filesystem on it and mount it.
4. *But* you still have to create and activate swap *before* trying to create the filesystem!

When it comes to step 2, I got the messages "sda 2 is in use and you must unmount it first" or "sda2 and sdb2 already contain an ext2 file format" and RAID generation stopped here. The hdd's are formatted in ext4! After some repartitioning and reformatting I got this more than 2x32 sectors error message which I cannot remove by reformat rials. I have not tried your patches yet as I am not living with the command line.

Once you have any beta RC3 file I am happy to test it. Or is there a way that I am preparing the hdd's at a linux system first, then put them in to the dns 323 and continue with RAID generation? Is the procedure as described above not correct?

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Thomas

Tom_1967

Nov 8, 2012, 11:56:28 AM11/8/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hello Joao,

I would be glad to test it. It cannot go worse as it already is.

Thank you very much.

Thomas

Joao Cardoso

Nov 8, 2012, 7:57:32 PM11/8/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:56:29 PM UTC, Tom_1967 wrote:
> Hello Joao,
>
> I would be glad to test it. It cannot go worse as it already is.

I'm currently "out of town".
Early next week I will start a new topic with instructions and files, as this subject is spread across several topics.

If you are in a hurry, you can search the several 3TB threads, as there are several partial succes reports.
Or perhaps someone can help you with the gory comand line details.

Gaiko

Nov 10, 2012, 4:18:50 AM11/10/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joao

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:57:33 AM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:56:29 PM UTC, Tom_1967 wrote:
> Hello Joao,
>
> I would be glad to test it. It cannot go worse as it already is.

I'm currently "out of town".

Funny, i just got back intown (hence my silence this past week)
Early next week I will start a new topic with instructions and files, as this subject is spread across several topics.

If you are in a hurry,  you can search the several 3TB threads, as there are several partial succes reports.
Or perhaps someone can help you with the gory comand line details.

Well while i am not cmd line guru I think i can hold my own (used/installed slackware back in the 90s, thats gotta count for something).

to kind of follow up on both my last post and tom's post.

 When i go to the disk/RAID page md0 is indeed an option and i select sda2/sdb2, see below:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/RAID1.jpg

but when i try to create i get an error:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/RAID2.jpg

not quite sure where to go there except the patches you posted which unfortunately lead me to my next question:

How to upload those files to my dns323?

I bit the bullet and putty'd (ssh) into my box just to make sure i could (all the necessary services seem to be running ftp, telnet, ssh) and was able to no prob. the problem comes when i tried to ftp in to put/mput the files on my dns323. It tells me it can't read the vsftpd.user_list (which is because it doesn't exist, i checked) and i don't think there are any other users setup by default other than root (but i can't ftp via root? [i know not exactly secure but in this case i am not worried]). Its been a loooong time since i have tried putting/getting anything via ftp so perhaps i am missing something? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Cheers

Joao Cardoso

Nov 11, 2012, 10:16:41 AM11/11/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:18:51 AM UTC, Gaiko wrote:
Hi Joao

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:57:33 AM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:56:29 PM UTC, Tom_1967 wrote:
> Hello Joao,
>
> I would be glad to test it. It cannot go worse as it already is.

I'm currently "out of town".

Funny, i just got back intown (hence my silence this past week)
Early next week I will start a new topic with instructions and files, as this subject is spread across several topics.

If you are in a hurry,  you can search the several 3TB threads, as there are several partial succes reports.
Or perhaps someone can help you with the gory comand line details.

Well while i am not cmd line guru I think i can hold my own (used/installed slackware back in the 90s, thats gotta count for something).

to kind of follow up on both my last post and tom's post.

 When i go to the disk/RAID page md0 is indeed an option and i select sda2/sdb2, see below:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/RAID1.jpg

Everything seems OK. You have partitioned the disks using the Disk Partitioner, right?

but when i try to create i get an error:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/RAID2.jpg

Can you please
telnet/ssh the box and login as the 'root' user, same password as the webgui password,
execute the following commands on the command line (copy/paste them) and post their output?

blkid
# show current filesystems
mdadm
--examine /dev/sda2 # show sda2/sdb2 RAID component status
mdadm --examine /dev/sdb2
mdadm
--create --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 # create the RAID
echo $
?

Gaiko

Nov 11, 2012, 12:52:45 PM11/11/12

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 7:16:41 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

On Saturday, November 10, 2012 9:18:51 AM UTC, Gaiko wrote:
Hi Joao

On Friday, November 9, 2012 4:57:33 AM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:
On Thursday, November 8, 2012 4:56:29 PM UTC, Tom_1967 wrote:
> Hello Joao,
>
> I would be glad to test it. It cannot go worse as it already is.

I'm currently "out of town".

Funny, i just got back intown (hence my silence this past week)
Early next week I will start a new topic with instructions and files, as this subject is spread across several topics.

If you are in a hurry,  you can search the several 3TB threads, as there are several partial succes reports.
Or perhaps someone can help you with the gory comand line details.

Well while i am not cmd line guru I think i can hold my own (used/installed slackware back in the 90s, thats gotta count for something).

to kind of follow up on both my last post and tom's post.

 When i go to the disk/RAID page md0 is indeed an option and i select sda2/sdb2, see below:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/RAID1.jpg

Everything seems OK. You have partitioned the disks using the Disk Partitioner, right?

yes

but when i try to create i get an error:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/RAID2.jpg

Can you please
telnet/ssh the box and login as the 'root' user, same password as the webgui password,
execute the following commands on the command line (copy/paste them) and post their output?

Sure!

blkid
# show current filesystems
mdadm
--examine /dev/sda2 # show sda2/sdb2 RAID component status
mdadm --examine /dev/sdb2
mdadm
--create --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 # create the RAID
echo $
?

# blkid
/dev/mtdblock0: TYPE="minix"
/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/mtdblock1: TYPE="minix"
/dev/sda1: TYPE="swap"
/dev/sdb1: TYPE="swap"
# mdadm --examine /dev/sda2
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sda2.
# mdadm --examine /dev/sdb2
mdadm: No md superblock detected on /dev/sdb2.
# mdadm --create --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-dev
ices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
# echo $?
1
#

Please let me know if there is anything thing else.

Cheers

Joao Cardoso

Nov 11, 2012, 8:16:58 PM11/11/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 11, 2012 5:46:50 PM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

[...]

hmmm, please try

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 # create the RAID
echo $?

If this works then an unnoticied/unreported bug exists in RC2.
If this does not works also, then I'm puzzled, as everything else looks fine.

Thanks

Gaiko

Nov 12, 2012, 8:55:21 AM11/12/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 # create the RAID
# echo $?
1

If this works then an unnoticied/unreported bug exists in RC2.
If this does not works also, then I'm puzzled, as everything else looks fine.

Hmmm, then i will hope it is a bug (not a common hope but better than an enigma) (though i am guessing an enigma as this is outputting the same "1" as before?)

Thanks

Thank you.

Joao Cardoso

Nov 13, 2012, 1:42:34 PM11/13/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 # create the RAID
echo $?

# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --metadata=0.9 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 # create the RAID
# echo $?
1

If this works then an unnoticied/unreported bug exists in RC2.
If this does not works also, then I'm puzzled, as everything else looks fine.

Hmmm, then i will hope it is a bug (not a common hope but better than an enigma) (though i am guessing an enigma as this is outputting the same "1" as before?)

It's an enigma :-O

The printed '1' means that the command failed. What is strange is that no error message appears, so we don't know what is wrong. Please try

But the mdadm manual says about the metadata option:

             metadat 0.90
                     Use  the  original  0.90  format superblock.  This format
                     ...  limits  component  devices of levels 1 and greater to 2 terabytes.

So it is explained!
So, removing the '--metadata 0.9' option make it use the now default 1.2 metadata format.

The reason why I use the 0.9 metadata is to enable users to revert the box to the DLink firmware, that only accepts the 0.9 format. But this is a nonsense, because the DLink firmware does not supports 3TB disks.

So, try

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 --verbose --verbose /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
echo $
?

If, again, a '1' is printed, meaning that the command failed, and in order to have more information on your setup, please post those commands output (otherwise just reply Worked! -- but don't forget that you still have to create a filesystem on the newly create md0 RAID device)

sfdisk -luS /dev/sda /dev/sdb
sgdisk -p /dev/sda
sgdisk -p /dev/sdb
cat /proc/mdstat
cat /etc/mdadm.conf
lsmod

If you remember: When you used the Disk Partitioner to partition your disks, how did you proceed? Used the Advanced Button and copied the start sector/lenght values from another thread? Or used the Size (GB) entry only?

Gaiko

Nov 14, 2012, 2:08:20 AM11/14/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 10:42:34 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

[...]

oi, i used to be so proud of myself being able to install slackware, mount disks via command line and even understand the basics of differences between filesystems... but this is a few levels above that :(  think i thought it though.

So, try

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2 --verbose --verbose /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
echo $
?

If, again, a '1' is printed, meaning that the command failed, and in order to have more information on your setup, please post those commands output (otherwise just reply Worked! -- but don't forget that you still have to create a filesystem on the newly create md0 RAID device)

sfdisk -luS /dev/sda /dev/sdb
sgdisk -p /dev/sda
sgdisk -p /dev/sdb
cat /proc/mdstat
cat /etc/mdadm.conf
lsmod

Alright, I will be back home tomorrow and will give it a try.

If you remember: When you used the Disk Partitioner to partition your disks, how did you proceed? Used the Advanced Button and copied the start sector/lenght values from another thread? Or used the Size (GB) entry only?

Forgive me but i honestly can't remember what i did after the partitioner. apologies.

Gaiko

Nov 14, 2012, 11:03:33 AM11/14/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 11:08:20 AM UTC+4, Gaiko wrote:

[...]

good news! (I think):

# mdadm --create /dev/md0 --run --level=raid1 --bitmap=internal --raid-devices=2
 --verbose --verbose /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
mdadm: Note: this array has metadata at the start and
    may not be suitable as a boot device.  If you plan to
    store '/boot' on this device please ensure that
    your boot-loader understands md/v1.x metadata, or use
    --metadata=0.90
mdadm: size set to 2929740112K
mdadm: creation continuing despite oddities due to --run
mdadm: Defaulting to version 1.2 metadata
mdadm: array /dev/md0 started.
# echo $?
0

If, again, a '1' is printed, meaning that the command failed, and in order to have more information on your setup, please post those commands output (otherwise just reply Worked! -- but don't forget that you still have to create a filesystem on the newly create md0 RAID device)

sfdisk -luS /dev/sda /dev/sdb
sgdisk -p /dev/sda
sgdisk -p /dev/sdb
cat /proc/mdstat
cat /etc/mdadm.conf
lsmod

Well i got a few warnings but a bigger issue was trying to show the mdadm.conf file, its not there (honestly i wasn't sure what modules should show up so wasn't sure what to make of the lsmod output):
# sfdisk -luS /dev/sda /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sda: 97451 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
  for C/H/S=*/256/63 (instead of 97451/255/63).
For this listing I'll assume that geometry.
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot    Start       End   #sectors  Id  System
/dev/sda1             1         - 4294967295  ee  Intel EFI GUID Partition Table
/dev/sda2             0         -          0   0  Empty
/dev/sda3             0         -          0   0  Empty
/dev/sda4             0         -          0   0  Empty

Disk /dev/sdb: 97451 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Warning: The partition table looks like it was made
  for C/H/S=*/256/63 (instead of 97451/255/63).
For this listing I'll assume that geometry.
Units = sectors of 512 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot    Start       End   #sectors  Id  System
/dev/sdb1             1         - 4294967295  ee  Intel EFI GUID Partition Table
/dev/sdb2             0         -          0   0  Empty
/dev/sdb3             0         -          0   0  Empty
/dev/sdb4             0         -          0   0  Empty
# sgdisk -p /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 5860533168 sectors, 2.7 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): C88A41D8-B130-473C-BA2F-065F3C40B5A7
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5860533134
Partitions will be aligned on 64-sector boundaries
Total free space is 1981 sectors (990.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              64         1048639   512.0 MiB   8200
   2         1048640      5860531183   2.7 TiB     FD00
# sgdisk -p /dev/sdb
Disk /dev/sdb: 5860533168 sectors, 2.7 TiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): C07D24DC-0409-4BA3-B11D-E3DEC3B411D1
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5860533134
Partitions will be aligned on 64-sector boundaries
Total free space is 1981 sectors (990.5 KiB)

Number  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size       Code  Name
   1              64         1048639   512.0 MiB   8200
   2         1048640      5860531183   2.7 TiB     FD00
# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdb2[1] sda2[0]
      2929740112 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
      [>....................]  resync =  1.4% (43474688/2929740112) finish=443.5min speed=108456K/sec
      bitmap: 22/22 pages [88KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices: <none>
# cat /etc/mdadm.conf
cat: can't open '/etc/mdadm.conf': No such file or directory
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
usblp                   7840  0
#

Gaiko

Nov 14, 2012, 12:30:11 PM11/14/12

Anyway, all seems to work. Yeah!!!!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/status.jpg
Before I start to fill up my box please let me know if there is anything you'd like me to try out first!

Thx again!

Joao Cardoso

Nov 14, 2012, 3:15:56 PM11/14/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:27:56 PM UTC, Gaiko wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2012 8:03:33 PM UTC+4, Gaiko wrote:
Anyway, all seems to work. Yeah!!!!
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/status.jpg

Yes, I think that the last 3TB issue was found and fixed, thanks to you.

Before I start to fill up my box please let me know if there is anything you'd like me to try out first!

Yes, please wait a couple of hours, I will post the fixed files for you to test.
Although I'm pretty confident that everything is fine now I would like to announce with certain that "3TB disks are now handled by the webgui"

Do you really had to wait 444 mins (7.5 hours) for the RAID resync to finish? I would hate to ask you to do it again...
Do you have an idea how long did the filesystem creation took?

Thanks

Thx again!

Joao Cardoso (Alt-F)

Nov 14, 2012, 8:04:34 PM11/14/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

> Yes, I think that the last 3TB issue was found and fixed, thanks to you.
>
> > Before I start to fill up my box please let me know if there is anything
> > you'd like me to try out first!
>
> Yes, please wait a couple of hours, I will post the fixed files for you to
> test.
> Although I'm pretty confident that everything is fine now I would like to
> announce with certain that "3TB disks are now handled by the webgui"
>
> Do you really had to wait 444 mins (7.5 hours) for the RAID resync to
> finish? I would hate to ask you to do it again...
> Do you have an idea how long did the filesystem creation took?
>
> Thanks

Instructions to whom might want to use/test 3TB disk with RC2:

I attach 8 files that deal with disks: Filesystem Maintenance, RAID Setup,
Disk Partitioner, and Disk Wizard.

To use them, copy them to the box /usr/www/cgi-bin folder and make them
executable, then use the relevant web pages as usual, look for weird error or
warning messages, and report back your findings.

-If you are using linux or have ssh, you can use on your desktop computer,
assuming that your current directory is where you downloaded the files:

scp disk*.cgi raid*.cgi root@nas:/usr/www/cgi-bin/

where 'nas' above is either the box hostname or its IP; when asked for the
password, use the same password as you use in the box webgui.

Then, ssh/telnet the box and login as the 'root' user using the same password
as you use in the box webgui and make the files executable using the commands

cd /usr/www/cgi-bin
chmod +x *.cgi

-If instead you want to use windows to transfer the files,
copy the files to a share, e.g., "Public (Read Write)", then using Services-
>Network->smb->Configure and take note of the box folder used by the share,
e.g. "/mnt/md0/Public/RW".

Then, ssh/telnet the box and login as the 'root' user using the same password
as you use in the box webgui and make the files executable using the commands

cd /mnt/md0/Public/RW/ # change for whatever the share folder is
mv disk*.cgi raid*.cgi /usr/www/cgi-bin
cd /usr/www/cgi-bin
chmod +x *.cgi

-you can instead use ftp to transfer the files, e.g.

> ftp root@nas
Connected to nas.homenet.
220 (vsFTPd 2.3.5)
331 Please specify the password.
Password:
230 Login successful.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> pwd
257 "/root"
ftp> mput disk*.cgi raid*.cgi

where 'nas' above is either the box hostname or its IP; when asked for the
password, use the same password as you use in the box webgui.

Then, ssh/telnet the box and login as the 'root' user using the same password
as you use in the box webgui and make the files executable using the commands

cd /root
mv disk*.cgi raid*.cgi /usr/www/cgi-bin
cd /usr/www/cgi-bin
chmod chmod +x *.cgi

I hope there are no errors. If you detect any please let me know.

Thanks
diskmaint.cgi
diskmaint_proc.cgi
diskpart.cgi
diskpart_proc.cgi
diskwiz_proc.cgi
diskwiz.cgi
raid.cgi
raid_proc.cgi

Gaiko

Nov 14, 2012, 11:10:03 PM11/14/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
yeah but i just let it run overnight, no biggie
Do you have an idea how long did the filesystem creation took?
it took about 30 min

Thanks
ditto
Message has been deleted

Gaiko

Nov 15, 2012, 9:59:11 AM11/15/12

Well i uploaded the files, overwrote the existing files made them executable (actually they already were rwx since copied from ntfs) tried out the wizard and got the following:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/Wizzard.jpg

Now this could be because of the fact that I have a RAID1 setup and didn't "break it up" (how would i do that?)

after trying to use the partition wizard:
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
HTTP/1.0 200 OK

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<center><h2>Disk Partitioner</h2></center>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.cursor = 'wait';
</script>
 done.</p>
 done</p><p>Setting up partitions details...
 done</p><p>Reloading all disks...
 done</p>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.cursor = '';
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function err() {
window.location.assign(document.referrer)
}
setTimeout("err()", 3000);
</script>

after trying partitionerm then tried wizard again:

Disk Wizard

Joao Cardoso

Nov 15, 2012, 12:57:27 PM11/15/12

Well i uploaded the files, overwrote the existing files made them executable (actually they already were rwx since copied from ntfs) tried out the wizard and got the following:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/Wizzard.jpg

Damn!

Can you please execute the following commands after using the Disk Wizard?

i=/dev/sda
nextstart
=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --first-in-largest $i)
nextend
=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --end-of-largest $i)
nextleng
=$(expr $nextend - $nextstart)
echo $nextstart $nextend $nextleng

Now this could be because of the fact that I have a RAID1 setup and didn't "break it up" (how would i do that?)

No, the partition table is erased at start.

after trying to use the partition wizard:

Damn again!

In the Disk Partitioner page itself, or after hitting the Partition button?

Have you used any other button/menu? Some of the "Partition Table" operations in the upper section (Loading/saving/Copying...) might yet not be working for 3TB.

can you please execute the following commands and post the output?

fdisk -l /dev/sda 2> /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar
cat
/tmp/foo
cat
/tmp/bar
rm
/tmp/foo /tmp/bar

[Added: the .cgi uploaded files do not survive a reboot, you have to copy them again.
And you should not have any Alt-F package installed before copying them. If you have, please hit the RemoveAll button in the "Installed packages" section of the Packages->Alt-F web page]

Thanks for your collaboration and patience,
Joao

fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
HTTP/1.0 200 OK

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<center><h2>Disk Partitioner</h2></center>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.cursor = 'wait';
</script>
 done.</p>
 done</p><p>Setting up partitions details...
 done</p><p>Reloading all disks...
 done</p>
<script type="text/javascript">
document.body.style.cursor = '';
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function err() {
window.location.assign(document.referrer)
}
setTimeout("err()", 3000);
</script>

Gaiko

Nov 15, 2012, 1:04:24 PM11/15/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:39:09 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

Well i uploaded the files, overwrote the existing files made them executable (actually they already were rwx since copied from ntfs) tried out the wizard and got the following:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/Wizzard.jpg

Damn!

sorry
Can you please execute the following commands after using the Disk Wizard?

i=/dev/sda
nextstart
=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --first-in-largest $i)
nextend
=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --end-of-largest $i)
nextleng
=$(expr $nextend - $nextstart)
echo $nextstart $nextend $nextleng

# i=/dev/sda
# nextstart=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --first-in-largest $i)
# nextend=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --end-of-largest $i)
# nextleng=$(expr $nextend - $nextstart)
# echo $nextstart $nextend $nextleng
5860531184 5860533134 1950

Now this could be because of the fact that I have a RAID1 setup and didn't "break it up" (how would i do that?)

No, the partition table is erased at start.
ah, got it.

after trying to use the partition wizard:

Damn again!

sorry again
In the Disk Partitioner page itself, or after hitting the Partition button?
After hitting the partition button

Have you used any other button/menu?
no, not yet.
Some of the "Partition Table" operations in the upper section (Loading/saving/Copying...) might yet not be working for 3TB.
I think you are right:

After trying loading for a disk:
File /tmp/saved_gpt_sda_part does not exists.

In order to Load, you have to first save the disk partition.

After trying to copy from sda to sdb:

Disk Partitioner

Stopping disk... done.

Copying partition table from sda to sdb... done

Reloading all disks... done

Success

After erasing sda:

Disk Partitioner

Stopping disk... done.

Erasing partition table from sda... done

Reloading all disks... done

Success

After trying to load; to be totally honest I didn't quite follow what i was "loading" but hey, all disks are blank didn't think it would brick my box so i tried it and:
File /tmp/saved_mbr_sda_part does not exists.

In order to Load, you have to first save the disk partition.

can you please execute the following commands and post the output?

fdisk -l /dev/sda 2> /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar
cat
/tmp/foo
cat
/tmp/bar
rm
/tmp/foo /tmp/bar

# fdisk -l /dev/sda 2> /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar
# cat /tmp/foo

fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
# cat /tmp/bar
Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT

Disk /dev/sda: 4294967295 sectors, 4095M
Logical sector size: 512
Disk identifier (GUID): 0f9a1402-8821-4949-9609-41f612d1887c

Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5860533134

   Device  Start (sector)    End (sector)  Size (sectors)   Code  Name
/dev/sda1              64         1048639         1048576   8200
/dev/sda2         1048640      5860531183      5859482544   fd00
# rm /tmp/foo /tmp/bar

Thanks for your collaboration and patience,
Joao

Well #1 I've been waiting to get 3tb drives for awhile (months) so i can wait a bit longer and #2 You spoon fed me through getting it working via cmd line so I'm trying to get my karma in order :)

let me know what else you want me to try.

Joao Cardoso (Alt-F)

Nov 15, 2012, 3:28:38 PM11/15/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday 15 November 2012 10:04:24 Gaiko wrote:

> On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:39:09 PM UTC+4, Joao Cardoso wrote:

> > Well i uploaded the files, overwrote the existing files

> > made them

> >> executable (actually they already were rwx since copied from ntfs)

> >> tried

> >> out the wizard and got the following:

> >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/507145/Wizzard.jpg

> > Damn!

> > sorry

> > Can you please execute the following commands after using the Disk

> > Wizard?

> > # i=/dev/sda

> > # nextstart=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --first-in-largest $i)

> > # nextend=$(sgdisk --set-alignment=8 --end-of-largest $i)

> > # nextleng=$(expr $nextend - $nextstart)

> > # echo $nextstart $nextend $nextleng

> > 5860531184 5860533134 1950

Something is not OK.

In the screenshot you posted, the message says that the start of partition 3 (tipically a small partition at the disk end) is at sector "1 565 565 839", about 801GB (which is wrong), but now it is at sector "5 860 531 184", about 3TB (which is OK).

I don't know if you have read the following, added some minutes after my post:

[Added: the .cgi uploaded files do not survive a reboot, you have to copy them again.

And you should not have any Alt-F package installed before copying them. If you have, please hit the RemoveAll button in the "Installed packages" section of the Packages->Alt-F web page]

I was expecting a message similar to "Error creating second partition...", what you posted is the RC2 stock message, so you was not using the files I posted.

Can you please repeat the procedure from the beginning?

To make sure you are using the right files, run the command

grep creating /usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz*

after putting the files in the box, and you should get something like:

/usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating swap: $res"

/usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating first partition: $res"

/usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating second partition: $res"

Make sure that you have no Alt-F packages installed, the command

ls -l /

should *not* display a 'Alt-F -> /mnt/<anything>/Alt-F'

Then run the Disk Wizard and after getting the error, if any, don't do anything more, just run at the command line

sgdisk -p /dev/sda

sgdisk -p /dev/sdb

> >> after trying to use the partition wizard:

> > Damn again!

> > sorry again

> > In the Disk Partitioner page itself, or after hitting the Partition

> > button?

> After hitting the partition button

> > Have you used any other button/menu?

> no, not yet.

OK.

> > can you please execute the following commands and post the output?

> > fdisk -l /dev/sda 2> /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar

> > cat /tmp/foo

> > cat /tmp/bar

> > rm /tmp/foo /tmp/bar

> > # fdisk -l /dev/sda 2> /tmp/foo > /tmp/bar

> > # cat /tmp/foo

> > fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them

> > # cat /tmp/bar

> > Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT

> > Disk /dev/sda: 4294967295 sectors, 4095M

> > Logical sector size: 512

> > Disk identifier (GUID): 0f9a1402-8821-4949-9609-41f612d1887c

> > Partition table holds up to 128 entries

> > First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5860533134

> > Device Start (sector) End (sector) Size (sectors) Code

> > Name

> > /dev/sda1 64 1048639 1048576 8200

> > /dev/sda2 1048640 5860531183 5859482544 fd00

> > # rm /tmp/foo /tmp/bar

Thanks.

That will help removing the "fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them" error message.

I will post the fixed files as soon as I write them, now I've to cook the dinner :-)

> > Thanks for your collaboration and patience,

> > Joao

> Well #1 I've been waiting to get 3tb drives for awhile (months) so i can

> wait a bit longer and #2 You spoon fed me through getting it working via

> cmd line so I'm trying to get my karma in order :)

Your karma is OK for me :-), you already helped with the metadata issue, there is more people interested in using 3TB disks, so let them improve their karma!

Thanks,

Joao

Gaiko

Nov 16, 2012, 11:09:35 AM11/16/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
yeah, i think i missed that detail. sorry.

I was expecting a message similar to "Error creating second partition...", what you posted is the RC2 stock message, so you was not using the files I posted.

Can you please repeat the procedure from the beginning?

To make sure you are using the right files, run the command

grep creating /usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz*

after putting the files in the box, and you should get something like:

/usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating swap: $res"

/usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating first partition: $res"

/usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating second partition: $res"

ok, this is a bit of a stumper, i did the above and got:
# /usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating first partition: $res"
-sh: /usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi:: not found
# /usr/www/cgi-bin/diskwiz_proc.cgi: err "Error creating second partition: $res"

Thing is when i go to the /usr/www/cgi-bin/ director and type:
# ls diskwiz_proc.cgi
I get:
diskwiz_proc.cgi

the file exists, its executable, etc and i tried the diskwizard via the webpage and get:

404 Not Found

The requested URL was not found

not sure what to do about a missing file when it is there as far as i can tell.

Make sure that you have no Alt-F packages installed, the command

ls -l /

should *not* display a 'Alt-F -> /mnt/<anything>/Alt-F'

not there, or at least no Alt-F  director/symb link
I didn't try to go any further than this.

Joao Cardoso (Alt-F)

Nov 16, 2012, 11:50:32 AM11/16/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
On Friday 16 November 2012 08:09:35 Gaiko wrote:
OK, thanks for your efforts.

I'm setting-up an experimental RC3 release that should make testing the
changes easier.
I will not tested it as for a release, it just represents Alt-F current state,
but should be stable enough for testing. It should be ready for the end of
the/my day.

Thanks again and I expect your feedback under that new topic.

Joao

Gaiko

Nov 17, 2012, 9:54:45 AM11/17/12
to al...@googlegroups.com