Send hostname to nameserver

oceand

Sep 23, 2012, 12:42:00 AM9/23/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
Is there anything special I have to do to get Alt-f to send it's hostname via dhcp to the nameserver? It would be nice not to have to setup static leases on the router.

-Oce

Joao Cardoso

Sep 25, 2012, 1:17:57 PM9/25/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 5:42:00 AM UTC+1, oceand wrote:
Is there anything special I have to do to get Alt-f to send it's hostname via dhcp to the nameserver?

Busybox dhcp client (in fact the 'ifup' command) does not supports that.

You have to use the box MAC (that you can see in the status page) to associate it in your router DHCP to a fixed IP.
Then it is a matter of your router to have a dynamic nameserver that associates the MAC or fixed IP  to a name... my router has that capability (as well as the "dnsmasq" Alt-F embedded DHCP/DNS server)

It would be nice not to have to setup static leases on the router.

In my opinion, the 323 being a 24/7 server should have a fixed/static IP by itself, configured in the Setup->Host page.
Using the built in "dnsmasq" server (Services->Network) it could even replace your router DHCP/DHCP server entirely, as it will use the name servers configured in Setup->Host as a forward nameserver, i.e., when it can't resolve an address by itself.

-Oce

Ocean D

Sep 25, 2012, 2:37:26 PM9/25/12
to al...@googlegroups.com