Edit /root/.profile permanently

Adrián González

Oct 5, 2012, 7:21:37 AM10/5/12
to al...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to edit the .profile file in /root directory but when I reboot it returns to its default values.

I need this in order to enable color and mouse support in Midnight Commander (mc).

Just need to add a two export... lines.

Any help?

Joao Cardoso

Oct 5, 2012, 11:41:40 AM10/5/12
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, October 5, 2012 12:21:37 PM UTC+1, Adrián González wrote:
I'm trying to edit the .profile file in /root directory but when I reboot it returns to its default values.

Yes, as it is not a configuration file saved on flash.
As you seems to have Alt-F packages installed, do the following:

aufs.sh -n # remount aufs with inotify
mkdir
-p /Alt-F/root # create 'root' directory on disk
aufs
.sh -r # remount aufs with reval

From now on all files and folders created or modified on '/root' will effectively be under /Alt-F/root, where /Alt-F is the folder where Alt-F packages are installed. Use

ls -l /

to see where /Alt-F points to.

This is an advanced topic, read the How To Fix or Customize the Firmware wiki