K-9 Angels Rescue Newsletter

Barbara Quattro

Feb 15, 2018, 12:04:19 AM2/15/18
to Alieflife New 2014
We're sending this newsletter so you can read about the The Empty Shelter Project.  It will be coming to Alief April 21st.  If you have a dog or cat that needs to be spayed or neutered, this project will do it for free.

We're going to need MANY volunteers for this project.   They have TWO big trucks that need to be loaded and unloaded -- twice!   There are hundreds of cages to be cleaned and that takes a small army.  Sign-up sheets will be distributed for (1) signing up your pets(s) and (2) volunteering for shifts over a three day period. (Set up begins Friday afternoon:  Equipment is loaded from storage and unloaded and set up at event site.  Saturday:  Check in begins and procedures start.  Saturday late afternoon.  Start clean-up.  Sunday:  Load equipment from event site and unload it at storage site.)

We will keep you updated as we get closer to the date.

On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 10:49 PM, K-9 Angels Rescue <volu...@k-9angelsrescue.org> wrote:

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.

 *CAMERON DIAZ*

Named after the actress, this long-legged beauty has a golden velveteen coat, and  the most striking sea green eyes. Born with microphthalmia (small eyes) her vision is slightly impaired. A home with a strong, playful dog would be great for Cameron.  Her foster family reports her impaired vision has given her no issues navigating around their home or backyard. She dutifully chases their dogs around the backyard with ease. She will sit for her food and is quickly learning how to walk on a leash with lots of positive reinforcement in the form of praise and treats. In every way, she is a typical active and happy puppy exploring the yard and galloping about the house searching for items to chew, wrestling with her foster brothers and finally napping. She loves toys and gathers them all under the kitchen table, her safe place, where she is entertained for long periods of time. She rotates between sleeping in the bed with her foster parents and the crate.  At three months, Cameron is mostly housetrained with frequent opportunities to go outside. We know mom is a small German Shepherd mix and dad was possibly a lab or Shar Pei mix. She will need a family willing to provide plenty of exercise, playtime, and lots of snuggles.

For more information about Cameron Diaz or any of our other adoptable dogs, please go to: http://www.k-9angelsrescue.org/index.html

*SADIE*
(FKA MCALLISTER)

Just a short update on our adoption of McAllister AKA Sadie.  She is settling in to her new home just fine and is slowly making friends with our cat Lucky, it will take a little getting used to.  Sadie loves to play in the back yard, chasing tennis balls is her favorite so far.  She is a great pup, very smart and is picking up on new things every day.  Thank you K-9 Angels for the great work you do and having faith in our family to adopt, we will send more updates as time goes by.

Thank you again,
John, Alisa and Addison Bruce

*PIGGLE*

She is doing great!  We’ve gotten her skin to clear up a lot.  Potty, leash and crate training are all going well and she enjoys our other dog and cat’s company!  She and Gus prefer to share a crate and nap together when we are out of the house, too.

If you would like to send us an update on your adopted K-9 Angels Rescue dog, please send a short update and photo(s) to happy...@k-9angelsrescue.org.  We LOVE to get updates!

KITTY KORNER

Although we are a dog rescue, we just couldn't stand to see so many adorable and adoptable cats and kittens get passed over in the shelter. Check out a couple of our adorable kitties of K-9 Angels! All cats/kittens are spayed or neutered, vaccinated and microchipped.
Adoption fees are $35 for kittens and $20 for adult cats.

*THOMASINA*

Hey you, my name is Thomasina and I'd love to be your new pal! I'm just a tiny girl with a huge personality. At first I was shy and skittish, but when I realized my foster mom meant well, I started to warm up. I discovered the dog bed and made that my favorite place to nap. When my foster mom comes home I make sure to hop up on the bed and greet her. My foster sister Eleanor ismore quiet than me, but I try to get her to jump up on the bed with me too. When I want my mom to pet me all I have to do is meow! I prefer to stay active and walk around while I'm being petted, but I'm glad to lay down and sleep on the end of the bed when it's bedtime. My favorite game is chasing the feather toy with my foster mom because I'm a very fast runner. I get very spunky when my foster sister decides to tumble around with me even though she's a little bigger than me. If you let me crawl up in your lap I'm sure to capture your heart with my loud purr!

Thomasina is a Female Tuxedo Mix that we estimate to be around 5 months old (as of 2/8/18)

EDUCATION & OUTREACH

K-9 Cares Academy
K-9 Angels is an all breed rescue, but also an all-inclusive life saving operation which includes education on spaying and neutering!

Part of our mission statement is to educate the public about the importance of this life-saving procedure, so we do not have so many unwanted animals crowding the streets and shelters. Join us for our class which is free and open to the public on how to talk to anyone about fixing their pets as well as a listing of free and low-cost services in the area.
NEXT CLASS TBA
These classes are open to the public, and will cover the following:

– Comprehensive listing of low-cost or free services available in the Houston/Harris County areas.
– Some basic pet care words in Spanish to aide in conversations with Spanish speakers.
– What to do when you find a dog.  Debunking shelter myths.
– How to have positive, non-judgmental conversations about spaying and neutering and pet care with animal owners.
This class and resources will be geared towards dogs, but can be useful for cat lovers as well! This can be a great opportunity for rescue groups to network and get to know each other.

JAXON'S PUP PICK OF THE WEEK

*WABI*

Jaxon's Story: Jaxon was all alone for a whole year waiting for a family to call his own.  Jaxon found his FURever family and they want to help other families learn about the joys of rescuing doggies (and vice versa).

In Jaxon’s honor a pup of the week is going to be named.  Jaxon’s pic will highlight doggies over a year old or a bit bigger than a lap dog who might take a bit longer to be adopted.

To read Jaxon's full story, please follow this link http://mailchi.mp/94d35a505706/k-9-angels-rescue-newsletter-829233
Wabi is Jaxon's Pup Pick of the Week!
Looking for a new best friend, look no more. Wabi is right here. I am a super sweet big boy that is ready to be there for you. Don’t let my size scare you as I am a big baby. Just about a year old or so, I am fully grown, but past those messy puppy issues of potty training. I know where I am supposed to go potty, just take me  out and I will take care of the rest. I do like toys and you might want to keep anything picked up you might not want me to confuse with one of my toys, things like books or papers. I have not chewed on anything major but better not to be tempted until I am little older. I sleep well at night and I don’t mind the crate until you can trust me when you are gone. I do love to cuddle on the couch so I hope there is room for me.

Come see me this weekend and bring me home for a great 2018!

Wabi is a Male Lab Mix that we estimate to be born around 10/1/2016 and weighs 60 lbs.

GET ALONG LITTLE DOGGIE FUNDRAISER!!! 🤠🐶😁
WHEN?     Thursday, March 8th 6p-9:30p
                WHERE?   The Hobbit Café (2243 Richmond Ave.)

Our "Helping Paw" section is reserved for when we have a special situation needing extra funds. We do not currently have any specific dogs needing extra funds, however, we are always needing funds to continue doing what we do!
You can also help just by spreading the word...
WILL YOU HELP SPREAD THE WORD?
You can forward this newsletter and/or post our subscription page to Facebook or Twitter, and maybe you'll get a few friends hooked on our weekly updates of finding homes or help get some of our dogs adopted or fostered. Or perhaps they will be interested in donating or attending one of our events. They may even enjoy reading the heartwarming "happy tails" stories about dogs who were adopted through our program. Thank you in advance for spreading the word!

It's crucial that all of our fosters write bios for their foster dogs.  A dog, without a bio, can be in our program for a very long time, since no one wants to adopt a dog without information on it.  Potential adopters want to know if a dog is house-trained, good with other dogs, kids, cats?  Information we would never know if the dog wasn't in foster care and if their foster didn't write a bio.  Please send bio info to bios@k-9angelsrescue.org so it can be added to the adoption websites and dog bio flyers. Thank you!

If you are fostering a dog and can take a video of him/her playing or just doing something really cute, please email it to vid...@k-9angelsrescue.org and it will upload directly on to the
K-9 Angels Rescue YouTube Channel. Please make sure to name the subject of the email (the dog's name is just fine) and to take out your email signature from your email before sending it.  Potential adopters LOVE when there is a video, so please try your best to get one uploaded. Also, please send an email to bi...@k-9angelsrescue.org when you send one to our YouTube page so we can make sure to add it to the dog's website postings. Thank you!

President
Randy Kissling
Vice President
Lauren Friedman
Director/Intake & Foster Coordinator
Mary Tipton
Director/Adoption Coordinator
Christine Morgan
Secretary/Grants Coordinator
Terri DiRosa
Treasurer
Jeff Kasowski

February 14, 2018

Hello Volunteers, Fosters, and Supporters of K-9 Angels Rescue.  Please see below for the latest news and updates.

THE EMPTY SHELTER PROJECT

For the third time in less than a year we were able to spay/neuter over 300 animals!

On Saturday, February 10, 2018, as a part of The Empty Shelter Project, we spayed/neutered, vaccinated, and chipped 176 dogs and 145 cats all at no cost to their owners!!! That’s a grand total of 321 animals!!!

In one long and rainy day we got 321 pets up to date on shots and rabies vaccinations, microchipped them to their owners should they ever get lost, and most importantly, prevented all 321 of those animals from ever contributing to our over population problem!

As usual we could not have done this without our amazingly talented veterinarians and vet techs, hardest working volunteers in the city, and of course the pet owners for making sure their pets get the best care possible!

We want to give a big thanks to Panera Bread for providing nutritious food for everyone there, and Lance McCullers of the The Houston Astros for coming out to bring much needed attention to our Project.

This event brings us one step closer to the goal of this project: one day having our shelters stay empty. We can’t host these events without hard work and donations. If you would like to help us host our next event, please consider making a tax deductible donation to the 501(c)3 group that sponsors these events: K-9 Angels Rescue - Houston, TX.
http://www.k-9angelsrescue.org/k9ar_m_donate.html (Please include a note that you would like your donation to go directly to the efforts of The Empty Shelter Project.)

We hope everyone involved had a great time. We look forward to seeing everyone at the next one!

FUNDRAISER AT HOBBIT CAFÉ

GET ALONG LITTLE DOGGIE FUNDRAISER!!! 🤠🐶😁
Please join us at The Hobbit Café (2243 Richmond Ave.) on Thursday, March 8, 2018 from 6pm-close (9:30pm).
The Hobbit has generously agreed to donate a percentage of sales from the evening (food & booze) to K9 Angels. They are doggy friendly! So grab a date, your pooch and go support a local restaurant who wants to give back!  Keep checking back for more details. Cheers!

BECOME A FOSTER

Foster homes are crucial to our mission at K-9 Angels. Without foster hones, we cannot save dogs from the shelter. The foster plays an important role in socializing the foster dog and learning about the dog so we can be sure to find a well suited home.

If you are interested in learning more about fostering, email fos...@K-9Angelsrescue.org.

Save a life - foster a dog!

ADOPTIONS

Adoptions:
We had another great weekend with 22 adoptions!!  We're off to a good start next weekend with Marcellette, Mopsy, BeeGee, Cream Soda, Sir Sandwich, Rosalina and Nougat getting adopted!!  Edwin is in trial homes this week -- wish him luck!  Here's a list of the lucky dogs who found homes this past weekend!

Brogan - brown/tan, Hound/Dachshund mix puppy - adopted by a nice couple with 3 boys!
Cardi B - buff/white, King Charles Cavalier mix - adopted by a very nice couple!
Clementine - tan, Black Mouth Cur puppy - adopted by a very nice family with a Labahoula :)
Crisco - white, Poodle - adopted by a nice couple!
Eggroll - brown, Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix puppy - adopted by a really sweet couple with 2 boys and a Chihuahua!!
Flintstone - blonde, Lab mix who had hip surgery - adopted by a very nice couple -- they're taking great care of him!
Gnocchi - black/brown, Shepherd mix puppy - adopted by a nice guy with a Pug!
Ivan - black/tan, Dachshund - adopted by a good friend of his long-term foster!
Ms. Pebbles - brown, Corgi mix - adopted by a very nice couple with another dog!
Puma - white/tan, Aussie Cattle Dog mix puppy - adopted by a nice couple with 3 kids!
Raven - black, Terrier mix - adopted by a very nice couple with another dog!  They also adopted Leesi last year who passed away suddenly :(
Ravioli - brown/black, Shepherd mix puppy - adopted by her nice foster!
Sake - brown fuzzy, Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix puppy - adopted by a nice couple!
Sammie - tan/white, Shepherd mix puppy - adopted by a sweet couple!
Spain - tricolor, Dachshund/Aussie mix - adopted by a nice couple with a daughter!
Special K - deaf & blind, Aussie mix puppy - adopted by a super nice family!!  They recently had a deaf dog who passed away and were actively looking for another deaf dog when they came across Special K.  They also have a Hound Dog to help guide her.
Sora - white/black, Bulldog mix puppy - adopted by a sweet couple!
Swoopes - tan, Lab/Boxer mix puppy - adopted by a nice man!
Taboo - black/brown, Dachshund/Chihuahua mix - adopted by a nice couple with a cat!
Tonkotsu - tricolor, Hound mix puppy - adopted by a nice couple with 2 other dogs!
Val - white/brown, JRT mix puppy - adopted by a nice couple!
Yogi - brindle, Mastiff mix puppy - adopted by a nice couple with another dog!!

Returns:
Dazzy - tan, Chihuahua mix puppy - returned due to mitral valve disease -- she probably won't live past 5 years old
Mojito - white/black, Terrier mix - returned due to seizures
Lollipop - cream, Cairn Terrier - returned due to nipping
Wexy - Shepherd mix - returned due to herding the children

FOSTER

We've been doing a great job of picking up puppy fosters due to Facebook. Puppies need to have 2 sets of vaccinations before they can come to the Adoption Center, so in order for us to be able to save them, we need fosters who are willing to keep them for at least 2 weeks, if not more. Facebook has been an amazing tool as we've found so many new fosters willing to take on these puppies, giving them a chance at life that they would have never had if these fosters had not stepped up to help out. But we can never have enough fosters!! So please, everyone, post our need for fosters on your Facebook pages and help save a life! Thank you!

Here are the current pick up and drop off times for fosters:

Saturday drop off: 9:00 - 9:30 am
Saturday pick up (optional): 5:30 - 6:00 pm
Sunday drop off (if picked up Saturday night): 10:30-11:00 am
Sunday pick up: 3:00 - 3:30 pm

Please make an effort to pick up and drop off your foster dogs during these times. Center volunteers cannot do their tasks properly if foster volunteers aren't sticking to the schedule. If you ever do need to pick up or drop off your foster dog at a different time, please contact our Foster Coordinator at fos...@k-9angelsrescue.org to make the proper arrangements ahead of time.

Fosters Needed:
Dog and puppy fosters are needed every single day.  Without fosters, we cannot save shelter dogs!! Follow our Facebook page for regular posts about dogs needing fosters.

If you are interested in fostering please fill out the registration through the following link: http://k9angelsfosters.questionpro.com/

In case you don't know, if anyone needs volunteer hours for work or school, you can get credit for fostering!

VOLUNTEER

K-9 Angels has THE BEST volunteers, but we can never have enough.  If you can’t get your fill of happy tails & wiggly butts and have a little time to spare on the weekend, we want you!  It’s easy to volunteer with K-9 Angels and new volunteers (minimum age of 16) are always welcome:
  1. Complete the online registration;
  2. Receive an email confirming your orientation date & time;
  3. Attend your assigned orientation where you’ll learn about K-9 Angels and what’s expected when you volunteer -- that’s it, you’re ready to volunteer!
All volunteers are required to wear name tags and check in with your team lead upon arrival. A schedule of weekend team leads and volunteers for each shift will be posted near the sign-in sheets.  New volunteers will receive a personalized K-9 Angels name tag at orientation.  If you’ve been with us for a while and you need a name tag, email volu...@k-9angelsrescue.org and we’ll fix you up.

Each weekend there are seven volunteer shifts where you can get your puppy-dog fix:  Saturdays from 9-12, 12-3, 3-6 & 8-9:30; Sundays from 7:30-10, 11-2 & 2-5.  Please arrive 5-10 minutes before the start of your shift for a quick team huddle.

How do you sign up to volunteer?  It’s simple!  If you’ve already attended orientation, just reply to this message or email volu...@k-9angelsrescue.orgLet us know your preferred shift and we’ll get back to you within a few hours to confirm your time.  Please be sure to schedule your shift prior to arrival at the adoption center.

All volunteer time is welcomed and appreciated.  We’re sure you’ll enjoy being a member of the K-9 Angels Volunteer Team and the pups will enjoy having you around, too.  Visit www.k-9angelsrescue.org for more information.

K-9 Angels is located at 1215 W. 19th St., Houston, Texas, 77008, between TC Jester & N. Durham.

FUNDS & GRANTS

MATCHING GIFT & GRANT PROGRAMS

Many companies offer programs that enable you to donate money to your favorite charity. They have Matching Gift Programs and also offer grants if you volunteer with a 501(c)3! With the Matching Gift Program, you don't even need to volunteer with us. All you need to do is make a donation to K-9 Angels Rescue and whatever amount of money you donate to us, your company will match your donation and send us a donation check for the same amount, after confirming your donation with us.

To be eligible for a grant, you'll need to put in a certain amount of volunteer hours with us (each company is different in the volunteers hours required). They will also need to confirm your hours with us and then send us a donation check. Some companies donate as much as $1,500 several times a year! Please check with your company to see if they offer such programs and the requirements necessary. It's an easy way to help us out! Thank you!

DONATE

KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS PROGRAM
Thank you to everyone who participates in the Kroger Community Rewards Program! Did you know every time you shop at Kroger you're able to help charities such as K-9 Angels? You must re-enroll your Kroger card every August 1st so Kroger can continue to donate to K-9 Angels for another year. And, if you haven't enrolled your Kroger card yet, no time like the present! Click HERE for simple instructions on how to enroll. Our rescue pups thank you!

MONTHLY DONATION
Did you know you can choose to set a recurring monthly donation to K-9 Angels Rescue? Click HERE to go to our donation page if you would like to become a monthly donor. Thank you!

I-GIVE BUTTON
Do you ever shop online? If so, please download the iGive Button to your computer (or go to iGive.com and shop your online stores through their website--click HERE to sign up)! Anytime you shop online with one of 1,271 partner stores, a percentage of your purchase will automatically be donated to K-9 Angels Rescue. You will not be charged anything more and it's a one-time quick and easy download (or quick and easy visit to their website)! Thank you!

DONATE A VEHICLE
Donate your car, truck, motorcycle, RV, tractor, airplane, heavy equipment, farm machinery, etc. to help K-9 Angels Rescue.
Like on Facebook
All donations are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Follow on Twitter
Copyright © 2018 K-9 Angels Rescue, Inc., All rights reserved.

You are receiving this e-mail because you either opted in on our web site, or adopted or fostered a dog from us, or signed up at one of our adoption locations.

Mailing Address:
K-9 Angels Rescue, Inc.
9415 Winsome Ln
Houston, TX 77063