Akka streaming 1.0-M4

Bogdan Nechyporenko

Mar 6, 2015, 5:08:14 AM3/6/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
I'm updating from

    com.typesafe.akka:akka-stream-experimental_2.10:1.0-M4

    com.typesafe.akka:akka-stream-experimental_2.10:1.0-M4

but there are no classes like UndefinedSource, UndefinedSink, BlackholeSink, SubscriberSink, OnCompleteSink and others.

There is no documentation why it was removed and which approach to be taken now instead of this class.

Though in the documentation of this version I still see the notion of UndefinedSource

> The way we constructed a Flow using a PartialFlowGraph is explained in
> detail in Constructing Sources, Sinks and Flows from Partial Graphs,
> however the basic concepts is rather simple– we can encapsulate
> arbitrarily complex logic within a Flow as long as it exposes the same
> interface, which means exposing exactly one UndefinedSink and exactly
> one UndefinedSource which will be connected to the TCP pipeline. In
> this example we use a Concat graph processing stage to inject the
> initial message, and then continue with handling all incoming data
> using the echo handler. You should use this pattern of encapsulating
> complex logic in Flows and attaching those to StreamIO in order to
> implement your custom and possibly sophisticated TCP servers.

Seems to be that the documentation is wrong or some extra dependencies are required now

Konrad Malawski

Mar 6, 2015, 5:22:57 AM3/6/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bogdan,
in M4 we changed the graph DSL to be "more typed" (we like types :-)), a brief introduction can be found in the announcement email:

Please do remember that the milestones are considered pre-alpha, everything can change, quite drastically.
These releases are aimed to gather feedback and stabilize the best possible API in 1.0 - thus the big changes.
Not all docs have been cleaned up yet - we'll catch up on these very soon! (There will be way more docs, a lot more - soon).

Hope this helps!

-- Konrad

Endre Varga

Mar 6, 2015, 5:44:24 AM3/6/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM, Bogdan Nechyporenko <bogdannec...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm updating from

    com.typesafe.akka:akka-stream-experimental_2.10:1.0-M4

    com.typesafe.akka:akka-stream-experimental_2.10:1.0-M4

but there are no classes like UndefinedSource, UndefinedSink, BlackholeSink, SubscriberSink, OnCompleteSink and others.

BlackholeSink, OnCompleteSink and SubscriberSink were available before through by calling Sink.ignore, Sink.onComplete, Sink.subscriber, and are still available through these factories. The actual classes are implementation detail and now are more hidden.

-Endre

There is no documentation why it was removed and which approach to be taken now instead of this class.

Though in the documentation of this version I still see the notion of UndefinedSource

> The way we constructed a Flow using a PartialFlowGraph is explained in
> detail in Constructing Sources, Sinks and Flows from Partial Graphs,
> however the basic concepts is rather simple– we can encapsulate
> arbitrarily complex logic within a Flow as long as it exposes the same
> interface, which means exposing exactly one UndefinedSink and exactly
> one UndefinedSource which will be connected to the TCP pipeline. In
> this example we use a Concat graph processing stage to inject the
> initial message, and then continue with handling all incoming data
> using the echo handler. You should use this pattern of encapsulating
> complex logic in Flows and attaching those to StreamIO in order to
> implement your custom and possibly sophisticated TCP servers.

Seems to be that the documentation is wrong or some extra dependencies are required now

---

Giovanni Alberto Caporaletti

Mar 6, 2015, 8:48:31 AM3/6/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konrad,
sorry if I go off topic, but since you consider the milestones pre-alpha, is the 1.0 final to be considered an alpha still? I thought it was something more more similar to "beta" (like everything flagged as experimental). For example in the persistence project the api changed but it looked stable and supported enough to be used in production, with the cost of having to update the source at each api change, of course. You even provided migration guides for major api changes (great work! best documentation ever).

Am I wrong?

Cheers

Roland Kuhn

Mar 6, 2015, 1:52:03 PM3/6/15
to akka-user
Hi Giovanni,

Akka Streams & HTTP are not yet in the state of Akka Persistence, they are development snapshots—quite literally. We know that this is a feature everyone is longing for, so we do maintain a certain level of quality, but production readiness will only be signaled by the 1.0.0 marker. There will be an RC period which you could call “beta phase”, but we are not there yet. Soon, almost there :-)

Regards,

Roland

---

Dr. Roland Kuhn
Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe – Reactive apps on the JVM.
twitter: @rolandkuhn

Giovanni Alberto Caporaletti

Mar 6, 2015, 2:43:01 PM3/6/15
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Roland,
that's what I wanted to know :)
Happy to have started testing the project in this early phase anyway!

Regards
Giovanni