AdMob and licensing in ai4a App Inventor projects

Gary

Jul 29, 2012, 8:35:09 AM7/29/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
I have tested AdMob in ai4a App Inventor projects. It works.

How you do it is even more developer oriented than my usual ;-)

There are two ways Google AdMob tells us we can include their ads in our apps, with some simple code or with some XML.

What I did uses a screen with the ad and then goes to your App Inventor Screen1. I want to have a way that we can have the ad on the Screen1 page in addition to how it currently works. I eventually want to have it so the app checks so a free app gets the ad, a licensed user does not.

There is a lot we can start looking at. I'll focus on AdMob and licensing till it becomes clear to me what I should do.

Anyone think AdMob is useful :-)

tribblehunter

Jul 29, 2012, 12:53:32 PM7/29/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Yes AdMob is useful.

And what we learn from utilizing your experiences will no doubt enhance our understanding of what else we can do with AI.

Thanks again for your persistence and advice on all things AI.

Gary

Jul 29, 2012, 1:44:23 PM7/29/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
:-)

and

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 11:53:32 AM UTC-5, tribblehunter wrote:
Yes AdMob is useful.

And what we learn from utilizing your experiences will no doubt enhance our understanding of what else we can do with AI.

I fought down the urge to say something about things we may be able to do (two different times!) as I was writing the first very short post.

One concern I have is what I have heard about AdMob pulling the plug on someone when they make an innocent mistake. If someone puts in AdMob and does not get test mode correct, they cope by yanking your account.

Another concern is I can get this to work so it should be easy for others,
uhhh no. We can get it smooth eventually, but for now some things are easy - - - if you have 30+ years of experience...

I have ideas, but they may not be good ones :-)

and

I was happy with V1.2+ being a Personal Server version. I am starting to think I need to get the online Public Server updated. That will cut down on install issues. There are still some but less. AND it has to do something with the AndroidManifest.xml. It is currently writing into a user's temp location, not a problem if it is a Personal Server, a big issues if it is a Public/Private Server.

-----
so many decisions
24 hours in the day

:-)

Sebastiano T.

Jul 30, 2012, 12:00:25 PM7/30/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary,
i've some experience with AdMob and i can tell you that YES, if you mess up with test mode and you click on your own ads you get banned very soon, and you'll not be able to recreate another account on your name anymore,
so be very careful with this and do all the tests on test mode before switching to "production" mode

also read carefully the terms and conditions for use of AdMob, you've to use their sdk and they don't want you to show ads in a webview of the app,
i still didn't understand fully how your method of AI + admob is working but if you have the ads in a view and below the app created in AI we should cope with admob T&C
if we have two choices, on top the button of the ads and below the button to run our AI application then this might be seen as "encouraging user to click on ads" which is severly prohibited.

I hope i cleared things up a bit, i'm very happy that you're making progresses so fast on ai4a, it's really an excellent project :)

Gary

Jul 30, 2012, 12:26:29 PM7/30/12
to ai...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

and

On Monday, July 30, 2012 11:00:25 AM UTC-5, Sebastiano T. wrote:
Hi Gary,
i've some experience with AdMob and i can tell you that YES, if you mess up with test mode and you click on your own ads you get banned very soon, and you'll not be able to recreate another account on your name anymore,
so be very careful with this and do all the tests on test mode before switching to "production" mode

also read carefully the terms and conditions for use of AdMob, you've to use their sdk and they don't want you to show ads in a webview of the app,
i still didn't understand fully how your method of AI + admob is working but if you have the ads in a view and below the app created in AI we should cope with admob T&C
if we have two choices, on top the button of the ads and below the button to run our AI application then this might be seen as "encouraging user to click on ads" which is severly prohibited.

It's a view using their sdk.

I'll see what I can do to put the ad in Screen1. That is harder
but I wanted to do that anyway

I hope i cleared things up a bit, i'm very happy that you're making progresses so fast on ai4a, it's really an excellent project :)

Thanks for the great info, I appreciate it.

Gary