Hotkey problem with GMail

Charles Carr

Oct 27, 2014, 4:03:13 PM10/27/14
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
LOVE this add-on (and have contributed buuut .. I'm experiencing a problem similar to others getting the hotkey combo to work in Firefox and GMail. It just beeps in the message body area but NOT in the address or subject line areas. Strange. Anyone got a solution?

Charles Carr

Oct 27, 2014, 4:54:06 PM10/27/14
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
(Firefox 33.0.1 - Clippings 4.1.1)

ateng

Oct 30, 2014, 11:38:16 PM10/30/14
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
Looks like Gmail is filtering out the shortcut key CTRL+ALT+V.  I've submitted a bug report to Gmail support.

Charles Carr

Nov 10, 2014, 1:11:33 PM11/10/14
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
Ctrl-Alt-V works in subject lines and address dialogs but NOT in the reply area (where it would be most useful). Does that get us any where nearer to a solution? Any chance of a workaround (user-selectable hotkey, perhaps)? Thanks! -=Chas

ateng

Dec 5, 2014, 12:38:40 AM12/5/14
I've tried changing the CTRL+ALT+V shortcut prefix (by using another extension, KeyConfig) to use a different key.  But that did not work.

It appears that Gmail is blocking these keypresses when the cursor is inside the message editor, preventing them from reaching the Clippings overlay code in the Firefox browser window that is listening for those keys.  But this is not happening in the Google Groups message editor which I'm using to type this reply!

I would suggest sending your feedback to Gmail support and tell them to fix it.  I have already done so myself.

Alex

---
AE Creations website
http://aecreations.sourceforge.net/

the AE Creations blog
http://aecreations.blogspot.com/

Charles Carr

Dec 5, 2014, 12:35:02 PM12/5/14
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Alex.

Submitted the report as you suggested..

In the meantime (sorry, this is probably going to come off as indelicate) do you or any users reading this forum happen to know of a plug-in similar to yours. I've got to run a public foundation and really need what Clippings did SO WELL.

Charles Carr
CharlesCarr.com
cha...@carrfamily.com

LINKEDIN: www.linkedin.com/pub/charles-carr/33/380/229
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/carrcharles
(760) 749-8229

Cox Cable documentary producer/director
San Diego Union Tribune, contributor
The Californian, columnist
The North County Times, columnist
News and Reviews Editor, ComputorEdge Magazine, San Diego/Denver
New Products Editor, ComputerScene Magazine, Albuquerque

President of the federally tax-exempt nonprofit corporation, Art Animates Life
Facebook.com/ArtAnimatesLife
ArtAnimatesLife.org

James Johnston

Jan 7, 2015, 12:07:40 AM1/7/15
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
Are there any updates for this?

We all are really missing this lost productivity by not being able to use clippings in Gmail..... can you please provide an update or workaround?

John McCormick

Jul 1, 2015, 8:18:21 PM7/1/15
to aecreati...@googlegroups.com
I don't know if this will help anybody else, but what I've been doing to work around this when processing a lot of mail is as follows:

Once-per-day setup:
1. Open gmail in a browser window that takes up the left 3/4 of my screen. That's plenty wide for gmail on my monitor.
2. Click the clippings icon in Firefox's toolbar to bring up the Clippings Manager and resize it so that it only takes up the right 1/4 of the screen*.

After doing this setup, I work through my messages normally in the gmail window. Whenever I'm writing out the body of a reply and I need a clipping, instead of pressing Ctrl-Alt-V, then the shortcut key, I use the mouse to double-click the name of the desired clipping in the Clippings Manager window on the right. Double-clicking the clipping name inserts the clipping text into the body of my message in gmail, prompting me for placeholders as needed, and I'm good to go!

I'm a heavily keyboard-oriented person, so breaking to use the mouse isn't great. However, keeping the clippings list and the compose window (which for me shows on the right-hand side of my gmail window) near each other makes this a pretty quick process.

* Actually, to de-clutter my workspace visually, I move the Clippings window over to where the "Description" and "Text" fields are off-screen and I just see a list of clippings, which is only about 1/10th of the screen for me, and then let gmail (or other windows) occupy the rest as needed, keeping gmail with its right side flush against the clippings list. This keeps things very clean and makes the clippings list an easy mouse target since it's at the edge of the screen.