api version 201605

xtcsuk

Jul 30, 2016, 10:58:47 AM7/30/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

We have just moved to the above version, couple of issues, I would appreciate clarifications with:

1. The report service (arbitrary report types) seems to time out more frequently than v201601.  We have a retry logic in place, where these errors are retried and they eventually succeed.
2. The new batch job service, seems to work fine, however on getting the results, given a job id it returns a null value for the downUrl property, again this happened in only a handful number of batches, say just 3 out of 1000.

Has anyone else has come across this?

Thanks in advance,
Zia

Peter Oliquino

Aug 1, 2016, 1:16:02 AM8/1/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Zia,

Please see below my answers :

1. The report service (arbitrary report types) seems to time out more frequently than v201601.  We have a retry logic in place, where these errors are retried and they eventually succeed.

    One possible cause of the timeouts would be that you are processing extremely large reports as discussed here in our guide. If the issues persist, could you provide your complete report definition and any logs produced when you ran the report?

2. The new batch job service, seems to work fine, however on getting the results, given a job id it returns a null value for the downUrl property, again this happened in only a handful number of batches, say just 3 out of 1000.

    The downloadUrl is expected to be null while the batch job is still processing, or is canceled. However, if the issue occured outside of those conditions, could you provide your complete SOAP request and response so we can investigate further? Also, I would recommend that you     reply using Reply privately to author if you will send any of the information that I have requested from you.

Thanks and regards,
Peter
AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 1, 2016, 12:41:02 PM8/1/16
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks Peter,

On downloadUrl property of the BatchJob entity, I was wrong in assuming it to have a value all the time, irrespective of the status (cancelled/done).  So yes, thanks for clarifying that.
On report sides, nothing has changed in criteria on our side, will keep an eye and will do as suggested.

regards,
Zia

Peter Oliquino

Aug 1, 2016, 11:09:00 PM8/1/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Zia,

Feel free to contact us anytime if you encounter any issues.

Cheers,
Peter
AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 5, 2016, 7:33:18 AM8/5/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Pete,

We are still suffering from batchjobservice returning null downloadUrl (intermittently) for a completed (done) job, sent you the soap (request/response) privately, just wondering if you have received it.

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 5, 2016, 8:15:46 AM8/5/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

I took a look at the log you provided. It appears that in the case where the downloadUrl is omitted, there were also no operations performed, which means there would be no results to share via the downloadUrl anyway. Do you have logs of exactly what operations you uploaded for such a job? I'm not sure what would cause a job to kick off without having received any operations to perform, so I want to see if perhaps you're doing anything incorrect at that step in the process.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 5, 2016, 11:03:35 AM8/5/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply, our records show the job included some operations, but do not have the log to provide you with, will try to see if we can do this.
In the meantime, is it possible for a job change status from Active to Done with no operations attached to it?

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 5, 2016, 12:29:57 PM8/5/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

Under normal circumstances, the job shouldn't move to Done unless some data has been provided and processed. That's why I'm so curious about what exactly made it into your request that allowed this to happen.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 7, 2016, 5:17:10 PM8/7/16
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks again for your reply.

Based on our records that particular job should have contained at least 173 operations.  Our process in a nutshell, the system creates a batch, which contains >=1 jobs, this particular job was part of a batch which contained 218 jobs all of which finished with "Done" status and with N number of operation results except this one, this particular one as you now know, has "Done" status with no operations.

We have couple of more these instances, available upon request, however, cannot easily get to log the upload operation for any scenarios as such, as said earlier this has happened/happens intermittently.

On your side, would it be possible to clarify number of operations on upload/active stages for the aforementioned job?

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 8, 2016, 8:17:52 AM8/8/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

I apologize for the back and forth. I've contacted our engineering team to take a look at a specific job you provided and see if we can determine exactly what is going wrong from there. I'll let you know if I need more information from you or if I have any updates to share.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 8, 2016, 2:01:32 PM8/8/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

The engineering team has confirmed that they are aware of a bug that can put jobs into this state when they shouldn't be. They do have a process they can perform on these "stuck" jobs to force them to return a correct DownloadUrl.

If you provide me with a complete list of jobs that have made their way into this state, I can have engineering get them back on track for you.

In the meanwhile, the team is working hard on getting a permanent fix in place so this no longer happens going forward.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 9, 2016, 1:28:08 PM8/9/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

The engineering team has taken a look at your account and only identified the single ID that you had already provided as being affected by that issue. If you check it again, it should have results and a download URL.

Please let me know if this recurs with any future jobs.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 9, 2016, 1:47:13 PM8/9/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Mike,

Thank you,

As for the old jobs, they are no longer valid, as the system has moved on with new changes.
So, this has now been rectified, in case of a job with no operation, the api will throw or something on upload, and will not move the job status from pending to complete, right?

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 9, 2016, 2:04:36 PM8/9/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

The bug that caused this issue has still not been fully addressed. Engineering is hard at work on getting that in as soon as possible. This means that it is possible (but very unlikely) that a job with operations moves into a DONE status, but erroneously shows that it has no operations or download URL. This is what happened on your previous job.

In this case, the job likely finished successfully, but is simply reporting its results incorrectly. The engineering team can force the job to update from the backend and show its correct state, which is what they did for the one job you had reported where this happened.

If it happens again (hopefully it does not), let me know the job IDs and I can have engineering fix them as well. Otherwise, everything should be functioning normally.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 11, 2016, 8:10:54 AM8/11/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the clarification, looks like the empty download url bug still persists, for a handful number of jobs, at least.  Here is the list (been identified so far)

JobId,                       AccountId                   Approximate upload time
341004297                6985053702                2016-08-11 10:42:34.140
340653844                8690539277                2016-08-11 00:18:36.320

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 11, 2016, 9:25:14 AM8/11/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

I will pass these IDs along to engineering so they can get the download URL to show properly.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 12, 2016, 5:42:25 AM8/12/16
to AdWords API Forum
Thank you Mike,

I posted another issue on the 11th of August titled "api version 201605 - batchjobservice", but is marked as duplicate.  Can't open the thread anymore, its taking me here:
This is a different issue, we have downloadUrl, Done as job status, but the stats does not reflect the total number of operations, not sure why marked as duplicate, can provide the details again if needed.

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 12, 2016, 8:32:02 AM8/12/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

I apologize for that; it was simply a misunderstanding.

I have reopened the other thread for us to track that issue separately, and we will be responding there once we've had a chance to look into it.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 12, 2016, 1:14:56 PM8/12/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

As for the two job IDs you provided for this thread, engineering has just regenerated the download URLs, so you should be able to access the results now.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team

xtcsuk

Aug 15, 2016, 12:36:48 PM8/15/16
to AdWords API Forum
Thanks Mike,

Appreciating the feedback, as for the actual fix (patch to fix the api side), do we get notified, or should we just keep on looking out for this symptom?

regards,
Zia

Michael Cloonan (AdWords API Team)

Aug 16, 2016, 8:23:20 AM8/16/16
to AdWords API Forum
Hello,

There will be no notification when the server side fix is applied to prevent this from happening again. I would make sure to include code to check for this case and log the batch job ID just in case. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Mike, AdWords API Team