Traffic Estimator Service (v201109) fails partially for some keywords

Sumanth MN

Jan 26, 2012, 8:16:11 PM1/26/12
to AdWords API Forum
Hi,

I am seeing an issue while attempting to use TrafficEstimatorService
for a list of keywords. Some of the keywords return "0" value
attempted individually.

I am able to reproduce the issue consistently.

Please find the response received below and follow keywords "company"
and "event". Both the keywords fail to get a valid response when all
the 11 keywords are sent via the API; "event" keyword comes back with
a valid response but "company" fails when only 4 keywords are request;
"company" keyword succeeds only when a single keyword is requested.

11 Keywords
=========

Results for the keyword with text 'computers' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.46
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 150
Estimated daily cost: 218667320

Results for the keyword with text 'laptop' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.51
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 212
Estimated daily cost: 321869392

Results for the keyword with text 'gadgets' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 0.51
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 62
Estimated daily cost: 31487347

Results for the keyword with text 'news' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.02
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 80
Estimated daily cost: 82350680

Results for the keyword with text 'newspaper' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.03
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 8
Estimated daily cost: 9190092

Results for the keyword with text 'rent' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 3.38
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 135
Estimated daily cost: 457892208

Results for the keyword with text 'lease' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.54
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 54
Estimated daily cost: 83611036

Results for the keyword with text 'company' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 0.00
Estimated ad position: 0.00
Estimated daily clicks: 0
Estimated daily cost: 0

Results for the keyword with text 'event' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 0.00
Estimated ad position: 0.00
Estimated daily clicks: 0
Estimated daily cost: 0

Results for the keyword with text 'real estate' and match type
'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.05
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 917
Estimated daily cost: 963152032

Results for the keyword with text 'property' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.03
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 5
Estimated daily cost: 5411178

===============
4 keywords
================

Results for the keyword with text 'company' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 0.00
Estimated ad position: 0.00
Estimated daily clicks: 0
Estimated daily cost: 0

Results for the keyword with text 'event' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 5.00
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 0
Estimated daily cost: 154416

Results for the keyword with text 'real estate' and match type
'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.05
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 910
Estimated daily cost: 958887200

Results for the keyword with text 'property' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.02
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 4
Estimated daily cost: 4198844

=========
1 keyword
=========

Results for the keyword with text 'company' and match type 'EXACT':
Estimated average CPC: 1.01
Estimated ad position: 1.00
Estimated daily clicks: 0
Estimated daily cost: 30778

Thanks,
Sumanth

Eric Koleda

Jan 30, 2012, 5:57:28 PM1/30/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sumanth,

All the keywords in an AdGroupEstimateRequest are evaluated as if they were in the same ad group, in which some keywords may "steal" traffic from other keywords if they are a better match for the search query.

Best,
- Eric Koleda, AdWords API Team
Message has been deleted

Sumanth MN

Apr 20, 2012, 5:04:51 PM4/20/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the response.

In the standalone Traffic Estimator Online Tool there is no concept of an Ad Group.

I still want to use bulk queries and there is no way to differentiate actual 0 values and the case where the keywords belong to a different group as you just described. Can you please let me know how I can resolve the issue using bulk queries?

Thanks,
Sumanth

Ian Knox

Apr 23, 2012, 9:57:29 AM4/23/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Sadly, the only way I know of is to submit each keyword in it's own campaign and adgroup which limits you to 5 (yes, 5) keywords per request.
I've asked about this in the past and the API team has referred me to the general adwords group, where my requests have fallen on deaf ears.

For reference:

Ian

Sumanth MN

May 24, 2012, 2:01:02 PM5/24/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ian,

Thanks a lot for the response.

I went through the posts. Did you hear back from the Adwords team regarding this issue?

Making a request with only 5 keywords would increase the number of calls that the PHP client would need to make resulting in eating up a lot of API quota.

Thanks,
Sumanth