Duplicate entries when getting keywords in adgroup with MatchType field

Eugene

Aug 2, 2012, 10:57:41 AM8/2/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
I encountered strange behavior of API.
I get duplicate entries when fetching keywords in adgroup with 'MatchType' field (3 copies of each row to be exact).
Everything works as expected when I remove 'MatchType' from the query.
I'm using PHP library v201109_1 with sandbox account.
Easy to reproduce: just add 'MatchType' field to BasicOperations\GetKeywords.php example.

So is it a bug or a feature?

David Torres

Aug 7, 2012, 12:54:12 PM8/7/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is the match type always the same? please also modify the example to print out the match type, my best guess is that your are getting the three different possible match types (BROAD, EXACT, PHRASE) therefore the repetitions.

Best,

-David Torres - AdWords API Team

Stefan Reichel

Aug 27, 2012, 10:40:19 AM8/27/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eugene,

same problem here, with the JAVA based API, Matchtype is always equal, in my case "PHRASE". Did you manage to circumnavigate that problem? As far as i can see the statistics data e.g. impression are different. Nevertheless i could not yet find a deeper sense or pattern behind it.

Regards
Stefan

David Torres

Aug 28, 2012, 3:09:22 PM8/28/12
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

Do you mind giving me the campaign id or ad group id against which your are running your code? I'll be glad to investigate.

Best,

-David Torres - AdWords API Team

Josh Radcliff (AdWords API Team)

Jan 21, 2014, 12:25:29 PM1/21/14
to adwor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefan,

This question arose again today so I thought I'd post an update here.

There's a subtle difference between MatchType and KeywordMatchType.  The former is based on how your ads were triggered, as described in the "Understanding the 'Match type' column" section of this help document.

If you are interested in retrieving the match type that you specified when creating your keywords, then use KeywordMatchType instead.  This will give you one row per keyword, as expected.  I'll look into updating the GetKeywords example to use KeywordMatchType as well to avoid any confusion going forward.

Cheers,
Josh, AdWords API Team