android-plugin pinned to Gradle 1.8?

Davis Ford

Nov 18, 2013, 2:01:28 PM11/18/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I upgraded to > Gradle 1.9-rc-4 but my build now generates the error:

> Gradle version 1.8 is required. Current version is 1.9-rc-4.

The line it is complaining about:

apply plugin: 'android-library'

So, does this mean the current plugin is pinned to 1.8?

The plugin I'm using:

dependencies {
    classpath 'com.android.tools.build:gradle:0.6+'
  }

Jake Wharton

Nov 18, 2013, 4:29:13 PM11/18/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

You should use the Gradle wrapper in your projects so that your system Gradle version has no effect.

Davis Ford

Nov 18, 2013, 4:36:17 PM11/18/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jake,

I'm aware of the wrapper, but I was interested in upgrading to the newer version of Gradle, regardless.  I scanned the ADT tools release notes, and this mailing list for any mention of "1.9" and came up empty, so I was trying to ascertain if the plugin requires 1.8 and will not work with the newer version -- the answer appears to be yes.

Jake Wharton

Nov 18, 2013, 5:08:01 PM11/18/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
You can build and install a SNAPSHOT of the plugin locally to bump the version of Gradle that it is compatible with. Once 1.9 is actually released the plugin will be updated. The tools team has been timely in synchronizing across releases.

Xavier Ducrohet

Nov 18, 2013, 6:47:06 PM11/18/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
We are currently using internal API*, so we make the plugin compatible with only known versions. Right now this only includes 1.8.

Once 1.9 is out we'll release an update that will enable 1.9 support (we have already tested it).

(*) obviously we are working to stop using them, but it's a work in progress.
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead
Google Inc.
http://developer.android.com | http://tools.android.com

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!

Alexej Kubarev

Nov 21, 2013, 7:09:29 AM11/21/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
Is there a targeted release date for the updated Gradle plugin?
We are looking into starting to use 1.9 for many different reasons but Android plugin is currently setting a stop for it :-(
Also i did see that only "startsWith(MINIMAL_VERSION)" is used, where MINIMAL_VERSION is set to 1.8 (1.9 now in master).. Shouldn't it be possible to use both 1.8 and 1.9 at this point?

//Alex

Xavier Ducrohet

Nov 21, 2013, 2:22:00 PM11/21/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
it's going to be a couple of weeks.

Scott Battaglia

Dec 10, 2013, 5:16:49 PM12/10/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
Is there a new estimate for this?  (or did I miss an update?).  We're hitting a bug with doing local snapshot deployments that was fixed in 1.9 for which I am having trouble finding a workaround for in the current Gradle version.

Basically, in 1.8, the publish plugins don't respect the fact that when deploying a snapshot locally you don't use unique versions.

Thanks
Scott

Tom Billiet

Dec 11, 2013, 4:49:28 AM12/11/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com
I've seen the changelog of the android-gradle repo has been modified 7 days ago where now 1.9 is even mandatory: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/tools/build/+/master/changelog.txt
I'm wondering why 0.7.0 has not hit maven central yet?

Tom

Jake Wharton

Dec 11, 2013, 10:56:28 AM12/11/13
to adt...@googlegroups.com