Re: [ADF EMG] Oracle ADF Essentials

Sveinn Halldór Oddsson Zoëga

Sep 24, 2012, 8:34:02 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Great news.

Now ADF adoption is possible for smaller users which are not big
enough to have the budget for Weblogic Server.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:37 AM, Dave <dvdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow... Exciting news.
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/adfessentials-1719844.html
>
> At first glance that is a great set of
> features.http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/adfessentialsfaq-1837249.pdf
>
> Looking forward to hearing more. Especially before regard the road map
> forward.
>
> I was about to start to scope a project requiring glassfish and was thinking
> of using Prime or ICE faces. Hope be using ADF now !
>
> --
>
> All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
> Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content
> sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google
> Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

Chad Thompson

Sep 24, 2012, 9:09:03 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:34 AM, Sveinn Halldór Oddsson Zoëga <sve...@gmail.com> wrote:

Great news.

Now ADF adoption is possible for smaller users which are not big
enough to have the budget for Weblogic Server.

Right - the express support for GlassFish will also help crack the "other" nut of promoting ADF as a framework suitable for general Java/JEE development and not an Oracle-specific UI technology…

Big thanks to the Oracle team!

- Chad

--
Chad Thompson
chad_t...@mac.com

Stephen Johnson

Sep 24, 2012, 9:11:42 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

The news made it out in time for me to include it in this week’s podcast.

Stephen Johnson

Manager, Systems Architecture

Integretas, Inc.

Chris Muir

Sep 24, 2012, 9:12:23 AM9/24/12
to ADF Enterprise Methodology Group
If you're a fan of the ADF Essentials announcement, it would be
appreciated if you could participate in some "totally unethical and
we'd never suggest you officially do this" vote-stacking at Dzone
please ;-)

http://www.dzone.com/links/oracle_adf_core_functionality_now_available_for_f.html

...from an ADF product manager's point of view, it'd be nice to see
ADF in the Dzone "hotlist" just for 1 day, seriously it'll bring a
tear to my eye.

CM.

On Sep 24, 9:09 pm, Chad Thompson <chad_thomp...@mac.com> wrote:
> On Sep 24, 2012, at 7:34 AM, Sveinn Halldór Oddsson Zoëga <svei...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Great news.
>
> > Now ADF adoption is possible for smaller users which are not big
> > enough to have the budget for Weblogic Server.
>
> Right - the express support for GlassFish will also help crack the "other" nut of promoting ADF as a framework suitable for general Java/JEE development and not an Oracle-specific UI technology…
>
> Big thanks to the Oracle team!
>
> - Chad
>
> --
> Chad Thompson
> chad_thomp...@mac.comhttp://chadthompson.me

Chris Muir

Sep 24, 2012, 10:19:11 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Certainly I cannot take any credit as these efforts predate my start at Oracle, but to say Ill pass on your thanks to the staff (not just PMs) involved, I'm sure they'll appreciate it. What I will add is the team members have been incredibly dedicated to pushing this through with a number of significant challenges overcome. We hope you'll be able to make good use of the results.

So anybody going to come up with a sexy name to compete with LAMP? We've a free version of the db, a free Java server, and now a free JSF framework.  I'm got GEX so far.

CM.

On 24/09/2012, at 10:08 PM, "Jernej Kaše" <jerne...@gmail.com> wrote:

This will take ADF to the next level, make it attractive for personal projects and so on.. We should see a great boost in developer ecosystem.

I don't know who exactly is behind this and how you convinced the bean counters, but Shay, Chris, Duncan, Frank, Dana and everybody else.. a big thank you!

On Monday, 24 September 2012 11:37:39 UTC+2, Dave van der Wende wrote:
Wow... Exciting news. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/adfessentials-1719844.html

Looking forward to hearing more. Especially before regard the road map forward.

I was about to start to scope a project requiring glassfish and was thinking of using Prime or ICE faces. Hope be using ADF now !

Stephen Johnson

Sep 24, 2012, 10:28:54 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

I think that’s a good acronym, provided we pronounce it “Geeks”.  J

Stephen Johnson

Manager, Systems Architecture

Integretas, Inc.

Sep 24, 2012, 10:23:42 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
This looks like great news! I'll give it my vote on DZone.

-Rob

Stephen Johnson

Sep 24, 2012, 10:34:15 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
And there needs to be a blog/site/group or something called "Oracle GEX for Oracle Geeks".

On Monday, September 24, 2012 10:29:07 AM UTC-4, Stephen Johnson wrote:

I think that’s a good acronym, provided we pronounce it “Geeks”.  J

So anybody going to come up with a sexy name to compete with LAMP? We've a free version of the db, a free Java server, and now a free JSF framework.  I'm got GEX so far.

CM.

Wes Fang

Sep 24, 2012, 12:01:21 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
This is really exciting news!!! I look forward to finally building a site at home, good bye php. Just told all my developers too, let the word spread! Thanks to everyone involved on getting this released!

Vijay Navaluri

Sep 24, 2012, 12:19:50 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. kind of dream come true as an Oracle Solutions Architect facing customers and justifying ADF framework over all those ever growing list of open point focused frameworks. This was my wish/ask for Larry (Oracle) when I was asked while joining ADF EMG group. Not sure it will be done so soon and if EMG got it done :) Great news for all the well wishing community of ADF and hoping for ADF mobile on same lines post OOW-12.

Thank you,
VJ

hasim

Sep 24, 2012, 11:13:14 AM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
This is great news.but at the same time , I would read "What is included in Oracle ADF Essentials?".
I would more consider is at trial version for production rather than free , I don't know how one will define security
without ADF security for taskflow. But this is good way forward so that ADF can be adopted by SME for production
deployment for testing.

Thanks, Hasim

Naresh Nalam

Stephen Johnson

Sep 24, 2012, 2:01:28 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com, adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure the ADF security is one of the main things people will miss, but it's not the only way to secure an app, and I'm sure you'll see lots of discussion about it in the ADF community over the weeks and months ahead.  In the meantime the question to ask is "How would I secure my app if I wasn't using ADF?"

We've already begun plans to use it for a couple of apps we had been looking at LAMP for, and security is one thing we'll have to figure out, but we're ok with that.

Stephen Johnson
Sent from I, Pad

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Stephen Johnson <sjoh...@integretasinc.com> wrote:
And there needs to be a blog/site/group or something called "Oracle GEX for Oracle Geeks".

ReI think that’s a good acronym, provided we pronounce it “Geeks”.  J

You received this message because you are subscribed to the ADF Enterprise Methodology Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology). To unsubscribe send email to adf-methodolo...@googlegroups.com

All content to the ADF EMG lies under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/). Any content sourced must be attributed back to the ADF EMG with a link to the Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/adf-methodology).

Luc Bors

Sep 24, 2012, 3:19:33 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

What about project GENIE ?
'They' only have the LAMP, 'we' have the 'GENIE' to grant all our wishes.

I know it's only three, but hey, it's three each....

Amr Gawish

Sep 24, 2012, 3:25:07 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Yea, and at least the DVT components are in

Rock on

Best Regards,
Amr Gawish

Jan Vervecken

Sep 24, 2012, 3:40:32 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi

The "Oracle ADF Essentials Overview and Frequently Asked Questions" [1] document points to the JDeveloper and ADF forum as to place for ADF Essentials community support.

Your feedback is welcome in these forum threads:
- "Is my application an ADF Essentials application?"
at https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2443570
- "ADF Essentials : ADF Security alternatives"
at https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2443571

- [1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/adfessentialsfaq-1837249.pdf

many thanks
Jan Vervecken

Shay Shmeltzer

Sep 24, 2012, 4:05:38 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
>>Are these new features already built into ADF 11.1.2.3.0 ?

There is no separate version of ADF libraries for the Essentials edition and the regular one.
The only "new feature" that Essentials has and the full ADF doesn't is the ability to deploy to GlassFish.

Shay

Stephen Johnson

Sep 24, 2012, 4:07:42 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

So it’s up to the developers to make sure they’re not using any of the ADF features not available in Essentials, there’s nothing in JDev 11.1.2.3 that prevents using the limited features?

Stephen Johnson

Manager, Systems Architecture

Integretas, Inc.

Sep 24, 2012, 4:12:47 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 24, 2012, at 3:07 PM, Stephen Johnson <sjoh...@integretasinc.com> wrote:

So it’s up to the developers to make sure they’re not using any of the ADF features not available in Essentials, there’s nothing in JDev 11.1.2.3 that prevents using the limited features?

Partially (similar to other Oracle licensing) - but I'm also guessing that one reason that some of the "non-Essential" parts of ADF are not available for GlassFish deployment is the dependencies that some of them have on WebLogic.  For example, I can see where the ADF Security features that rely on OPSS/WebLogic would need to be 'ported' to GlassFish - so attempting to use OPSS with an Essentials / GlassFish deployment simply wouldn't work.

… and if you're deploying to WebLogic, the "Essentials" tag is meaningless, because you have a full ADF license anyway!

- Chad

--
Chad Thompson
chad_t...@mac.com

Luc Bors

Sep 24, 2012, 4:20:18 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

Shay,
Short question.
I couldn't find t in the release notes, nor have I been able to test it yet, but is there full support for ADF libraries, and thus for modular development and reuse ?

Jan Vervecken

Sep 24, 2012, 4:22:38 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
hi Stephen Johnson

That is also what I am asking about in OTN forum thread:

- "Is my application an ADF Essentials application?"
at https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2443570

regards
Jan Vervecken

hasim

Sep 24, 2012, 2:03:55 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hey Stephen ,

I think we need to start up multiple thread for each component which is not licensed
and how to achieve it functionality without buying license like ADF Security , scalability , clustering.

Thanks, Hasim

Jhon Carrillo

Sep 24, 2012, 4:40:55 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I understood the ADF Essentials running on GlashFish does not support  the following features:

- ADF Security
- Web Services Control

And What else?

another question is:

How can we manage the security without ADF Security?

Jhon

Shay Shmeltzer

Sep 24, 2012, 6:45:55 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
The FAQ lists which components are in or out of ADF Essentials right now:
http://www-content.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/adfessentialsfaq-1837249.pdf

As far as security of ADF Essentials on GlassFish - think about ADF like any other Java EE application in that sense.
Both Java EE and GlassFish has security mechanisms in place that you should be able to use.
Some reading:
Securing Java EE apps: http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/5/tutorial/doc/bnbwj.html
Security in GlassFish: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26576_01/doc.312/e24940/toc.htm

We might be adding more components into ADF Essentials in the future - though I can't provide details or commitment on this right now.

Shay

Brian Fry

Sep 24, 2012, 9:03:29 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Yes, use of packaging in ADF libraries is supported with ADF Essentials.

 -- Brian

Brian Fry

Sep 24, 2012, 9:11:53 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
To add to Shay's response on Security, I just want to expand a bit on the Web Services comment.

As mentioned in the FAQ pointed to by Shay, the Web Service Data Control is not available in ADF Essentials. However, for SOAP services, you can generated a proxy class and wrap that with a Bean Data Control to achieve similar results with just a little more effort.

Also, note that for REST services, the "URL" Data control is included in ADF Essentials and supported on GlassFish.

 -- Brian

Brian Fry

Sep 24, 2012, 10:02:46 PM9/24/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Yep. Well said, but I'll just add a bit to this.

There's no automated tooling to help make sure you are not using ADF features that are not available in ADF Essentials (yet!). There are two things to watch for here:

1) Some familiar ADF components are covered by the ADF Essentials license agreement, some are not. See this list:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/adf/overview/components-1844931.html
To legally run an ADF Essentials application you need to abide by the license terms which means using only the ADF Essentials licensed components.

2) Within the licensed components of ADF Essentials, there are some features that are not supported. For example, exposing ADF Business Components as web services.
See the list here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/jdev/11gr2update3-1851251.html#11.1.2.3.0ShermanUpdate3-ReleaseNotesREPOSITORY-ADFEssentialsandGlassFishDeployment

In both cases, each restriction was carefully considered. Our goal is to create a compelling offering that helps drive and grow ADF adoption. Building out the ADF ecosystem and community is good for all of us!

 -- Brian

Chris Muir

Sep 26, 2012, 11:05:18 AM9/26/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Yes.

By accident Shay gave a link to an internal server for the FAQ, here's the correct URL which clearly says DVTs are included:

On 26/09/2012, at 10:59 PM, Jakub Pawłowski <kubapaw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

What about data visualization components. Does ADF Essentials cover them ?

John Flack

Sep 26, 2012, 1:07:15 PM9/26/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com

I LIKE it.  Except that you can use Eclipse with OEPE too, not just JDeveloper.

Sep 26, 2012, 6:53:36 PM9/26/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
and you can use tomcat also, check this post https://blogs.oracle.com/adfthoughts/entry/running_adf_essentials_in_tomcat
Best Regards,
Amr Gawish

Ramesh K

Sep 27, 2012, 10:58:09 AM9/27/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Great news, I wish ADF security was part of it too, just because not many applications are built these days without security.

Brian Fry

Sep 27, 2012, 2:59:20 PM9/27/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Of course, security is part of just about every app. The primary reason ADF Security is not included is because it has direct dependencies on OPSS, which in turn has deep dependencies on WLS.

Please note that the lack of ADF Security in ADF Essentials does not mean that you can't secure your ADF Essentials apps. See Shay's comments below.

-- Brian

Andreas Koop

Sep 28, 2012, 11:08:12 AM9/28/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

first of all: thx to Oracle making ADF Essentials become reality. One great opportunity that comes right into mind is beeing able to run ADF Applications in the cloud for free. Finally ;)

Thanks to Ulrich Gerkmann-Bartels he had the idea of setting up ADF Essentials on Glassfish on RedHats Openshift, since at this time it looks really promising for running Glassfish.

In the end actually it really worked. we have managed to run ADF Essentials on RedHats OpenShift Cloud. Feel free to do it on your own.

Sample running ADF 11.1.2.3 app accessible to the world

Instructions

Hope being able to do such experiments on Oracle Cloud soon.

Regards,

Andreas Koop

Co-Founder  & Consultant for Oracle Technologies
at enpit consulting OHG
--
Home: http://www.enpit-consulting.com
Blog: http://multikoop.blogspot.com

Ramesh K

Sep 28, 2012, 10:12:14 AM9/28/12
to adf-met...@googlegroups.com
I understand the dependencies and I do understand that we can implement the security in other ways as mentioned, but page defination file and bounded task flows are specific to ADF and implementing security with ADF security is easy compared to other choices. I hope this will be included in future...