Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse

BusDeath

May 29, 2012, 8:01:32 AM5/29/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
What makes the class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse?

Jake Wharton

May 29, 2012, 11:30:28 AM5/29/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
It provides access to package-scoped things inside the support library which are not public.

---
Jake Wharton
http://about.me/jakewharton

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:01 AM, BusDeath <andre.ze...@googlemail.com> wrote:
What makes the class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse?

Mark Murphy

May 29, 2012, 11:40:22 AM5/29/12
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Jake Wharton <jakew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It provides access to package-scoped things inside the support library which
> are not public.

All else being equal, particularly if you're doing a bunch of other
refactoring, you might consider changing the name of the class. I have
had a couple of people comment on this to me, wondering why we are
adding a Trojan horse to our apps. It's the sort of thing where the
class name raises more questions than it may be worth.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.7 Available!

Shane Perry

May 29, 2012, 11:44:33 AM5/29/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
I would tend to agree with Mark on this one. The name change would be a wise move.

Shane

Christopher Jenkins

May 29, 2012, 12:36:31 PM5/29/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Ahh I quite like the name, maybe unlike some people I read the comments in the class before I asked questions..

Buuuut, I can see the issue (if) there was an exception and someone checked a stack trace could give your app a bad rep seeing TrojanHorse in the trace (or de-dex'ed for that matter). Rare I know.. but probably not a risk we should take...

Jonathan Steele

May 30, 2012, 1:21:03 AM5/30/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
I would rename to the ActionBarSherlockExtensions

Jake Wharton

Jun 3, 2012, 4:10:45 AM6/3/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com

Jake Wharton

Jun 3, 2012, 5:23:28 AM6/3/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Had to rename it to Watson.java since IntelliJ IDEA wouldn't compile the previous choice :(

ChrisR

Jun 24, 2012, 12:03:35 AM6/24/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a shame, the upside down characters were cool (although potentially confusing).