ForcedOverflow not appearing on ICS

Luca Santarelli

Mar 23, 2012, 11:10:14 AM3/23/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
I'm using the latest (stable) 4.0.0 release for some of my apps using the ForcedOverflow theme.
On my devices (Gingerbread and Froyo) it works as expected, with the indicator visible in the ActionBar.
I received some feedback on the Market claiming that there wasn't the indicator I show in the screenshot, and I was finally able to do some more tests today.
On a Honeycomb tablet (Acer Iconia A500) the overflow indicator is there.
On a HTC Desire running a custom ICS ROM, the indicator is not shown. Note that the HTC Desire has hardware buttons, I do not know if this may be related to the issue.

It could be an issue with the custom ROM, but the feedback in the Market were from a Galaxy Nexus, which has the "stock" IceCreamSandwich.

Is this a bug or am I missing something obvious?

TIA

SimonVT

Mar 23, 2012, 11:12:38 AM3/23/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
The native implementation is used on ICS, and as such forced overflow is not possible.

Luca Santarelli

Mar 23, 2012, 11:23:08 AM3/23/12
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 16:12, SimonVT <sim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The native implementation is used on ICS, and as such forced overflow is not
> possible.

From "Android Design Guidelines":
---
Action overflow

The action overflow in the action bar provides access to your app's
less frequently used actions. The overflow icon only appears on phones
that have no menu hardware keys. Phones with menu keys display the
action overflow when the user presses the key.
---
This means that if ABS uses the native implementation on API14+, only
devices w/o hardware buttons will have it? This sucks, but... I guess
my only hope is filing a request upstream (and have it ignored).

Thank you for the info.

L.

Jonathan Steele

Mar 23, 2012, 1:42:07 PM3/23/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
There is like
Theme.Sherlock.ForceOverflow

Jake Wharton

Mar 23, 2012, 1:50:27 PM3/23/12
to actionba...@googlegroups.com
You cannot force the overflow on ICS no matter what. If the device has a hardware keyboard and runs ICS the overflow will always be a "normal" options menu.

---
Jake Wharton
http://about.me/jakewharton