Suggestion: add new setting for (optional) variable number of day for filters 'Started by' and 'Due by'

G-Eric

Oct 15, 2015, 1:57:52 AM10/15/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
In the filters 'Started by' and 'Due by', there is a list item proposing 'J) Next 7 days'.

I suggest to have the current fixed number '7' to be replaced by a variable number, that would be managed in a new setting (in the 'Preferences').
This new setting would have a default value of '7', of course, to have a transparent introduction of this suggestion in the system.

One reason / usage of this setting would be e.g. to allow a '2 weeks' view by using a value of '14' as number in the new dedicated setting.

Thanks - Have a nice day
Eric

G-Eric

Dec 23, 2015, 3:31:42 AM12/23/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Dan,

Do you have a comment on the above suggestion?

If not possible / in line with your vision, could you please mark it as "complete" to terminate the item?
I can't see this option available for me in this discussion.

Merry Xmas & Happy New Year - Eric

Tony G

Dec 23, 2015, 2:54:00 PM12/23/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
With the power of Open Source Software this would be a very easy hard-coded change for your purposes, but sure, a user-configurable setting would be better.

Dan, if we can document the process of building ToDoList from source in the wiki then we can open the software a bit more for true FOSS contributions. I or someone else can provide a few of these little one-off changes. Everyone gets what they want and we get more mind-share around the actual development process.

.dan.g.

Dec 23, 2015, 8:44:30 PM12/23/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
>> if we can document the process of building ToDoList from source in the wiki

I'm definitely up for that Tony. The tricky bit is that people have many different versions of VS and the source currently only supports VC6, VS2003(WIP)VS2005/2008/2010.

I can also make it work for VS2012/2013 because I have those at work, but that's for the new year.

Dan

.dan.g.

Dec 23, 2015, 8:47:30 PM12/23/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I have no objection to this because the precedent for 'buddy' input is already set by '<specific date>' but I can't make any promises about whether it gets into 7.1.

Tony G

Dec 24, 2015, 12:34:02 AM12/24/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I'm running both 2010 and 2013 and can support C++ in both. However, it might be better to wait for the new year, and when you're ready to upgrade for your own reasons. Then perhaps you can jot down your process and I'll try to duplicate it and then document it. This will help to get people with a more current VS going. It would be better if we could attract another C++ developer (or a hundred) - I've already over-extended myself and want to get back to focusing on the Library, so I'm hoping we can attract other devs who wish to contribute to the code. One of my goals with the ecosystem has been to expand the presence of TDL to both new users and to developers who are used to picking up the FOSS gauntlet. I've been waiting for the ecosystem to get more established. The rest of this is also in my new year desires.

Best,

.dan.g.

Dec 26, 2015, 7:01:53 PM12/26/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hi Tony

Just a reminder that I do not intend to open-source TDL and allow commits to it.

People are welcome to compile the source and offer bug fixes but not features because I suspect that all they will do is want to add their own pet features.

If people really want to get involved then they can create plugins and add them to the 'Downloads' repository.

Dan

Tony G

Dec 29, 2015, 11:56:27 AM12/29/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Hmm, I didn't know how that worked. Will document. :)

@Eric, by 'buddy' input, Dan is referring to the extra control that pops in next to the filter when it needs additional data. Compare the two images:
Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2

Tony G

Dec 29, 2015, 11:58:02 AM12/29/15
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Got it. I didn't understand your position on that. I'll add a note in the doc.
Thanks!

Eric Gilon.

Dec 30, 2015, 2:55:19 AM12/30/15
to abstractspoon-t...@googlegroups.com
@Tony - Thanks for the explanation and visual support

--
Download Latest Version: http://abstractspoon.pbworks.com/f/todolist_exe.zip
Wiki and other resources: https://github.com/abstractspoon/ToDoList_Wiki/wiki

.dan.g.

Jan 1, 2016, 7:07:46 AM1/1/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Added to 7.1.DR2

G-Eric

Jan 2, 2016, 3:42:36 AM1/2/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
I just did some test, and it works fine so far - even with negative number, what is nice in my opinion as it allows e.g. to track tasks started '-7 days' ago as a relative date setting (i.e. self adjusting as time flies...) - Thanks Dan

@Tony - this new feature is a future candidate for the wiki documentation (i.e. publication after v7.1 will be released)

Tony G

Jan 4, 2016, 12:34:10 PM1/4/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
Yeah, this is a cool feature. I just checked it in DR2. It will certainly be documented. Your note for the wiki here is much appreciated. Please do flag other threads when you find gems like this - unless I flagged them first. :b

G-Eric

Jul 17, 2016, 2:47:58 PM7/17/16
to ToDoList (AbstractSpoon) Support
FYI - I did test again this new feature pending for release: still working fine in v7.1.A5 :-)