Time Investment

Debra Scott

Sep 3, 2013, 2:43:11 PM9/3/13
to abc-instructi...@googlegroups.com
Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

lrf201011

May 6, 2014, 12:11:35 AM5/6/14
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:43:11 PM UTC-4, Debra Scott wrote:
> Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

I believe it does. This also provides a way for students to also communicate within an lMS, creating an online learning community. This blended format does take additional time but I think it also provides an avenue for students to be more involved, especially if they do not participate in class.

Christopher M.

Jun 3, 2014, 3:46:09 PM6/3/14
to abc-instructi...@googlegroups.com

Hello Ms. Scott.

Yes!  I firmly believe in the use of online resources.  In my opinion, the time investment is minimal when compared to the results.  If even one student makes a connect that otherwise wouldn’t have happened without online resources, then it was definitely worth whatever time was invested.

In the forum “Benefits of Online Instruction” I made my argument about how having online resources to support face-to-face instruction and gave examples of how they helped me as a student in college.  So, yes, I firmly believe in online resources.

D Smart

Jan 15, 2015, 1:26:24 PM1/15/15
to abc-instructi...@googlegroups.com
Certainly. Most students have access to the Internet via their smartphones, some other mobile tool like a tablet or laptop, or a PC at home, school or at work. Providing students with supplemental online resources only adds to the engaged student's learning. Of course, having this extra material available for students is no guarantee that they will make use of it. However, suitable material can help those students that seek improvement. Besides, the time put into finding, organizing and delivering online resources requires only an initial investment of time and energy that can pay off over and over in the future with little or no additional work. For example, build a wiki, post a helpful resource link and simply refer group after group to the same link.
:D

tamitu...@gmail.com

May 19, 2015, 8:49:58 PM5/19/15
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 11:43:11 AM UTC-7, Debra Scott wrote:
> Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

Definitely. I found that when students have an online structure to the course it makes it easier to stay engaged, particularly if they are absent. They can login, see what was covered, what is expected for the next class period, etc. It is more efficient and more in line with most other systems that are either exclusively or at least supplemented by online.

jkhbook...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2015, 6:29:01 PM7/12/15
to abc-instructi...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 11:43:11 AM UTC-7, Debra Scott wrote:
> Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

I see great value in spending the time to create online resources to support in class instruction. Since students do have different learning styles, and ways they enjoy learning, sometimes the online materials help solidify the concepts or increase interest level.

m_a...@ludlowps.org

Jul 23, 2015, 2:52:00 PM7/23/15
to ABC Instructional Designers
Definitely worth your time, you set up once and can go back and fix or add on information as years or months go by. Student being able to access information at home or on their devices allows them an opportunity to learn even when nothing is assigned.

michaeln...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2015, 2:01:46 PM8/2/15
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 8:43:11 PM UTC+2, Debra Scott wrote:
> Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

Yep, but it depends on the online resources. I would have loved having more activities in the course to apply the learned knowledge. It would have been great to have some peer assessment function to have a discussion about curricula we designed in class.

Darci Zuffo

Aug 26, 2015, 9:18:43 PM8/26/15
Em terça-feira, 3 de setembro de 2013 15:43:11 UTC-3, Debra Scott escreveu:
> Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

Yes, but that depends of the students. They have their own portion of responsability.

cnjso...@aol.com

Dec 3, 2015, 1:23:45 PM12/3/15
On Tuesday, September 3, 2013 at 2:43:11 PM UTC-4, Debra Scott wrote:
> Do the benefits resulting from providing online resources to support face-to-face instruction make it worth the time investment?

I believe it does it allows for interaction that is critical. Online will never replace the face-to-face experience, but it definitely extends the reach.

Yvette Biggs

Feb 24, 2016, 10:13:27 AM2/24/16
to ABC Instructional Designers
yes, timing is everything especially when you are trying to manage time and for me it is determining The One Thing that is most important for the day.  It doesn't matter if its doing something on a personal or professional level.  So when trying to juggle work and taking classes, it has to work; not sure how any of us would make it through without online learning with all of the demands that we deal with.  Online learning and communities help bridge the gap.