Re: [NIDOA] Re: [abujaNig] Re: [TalkNigeria] RE: [NaijaElections] Re: Okereke Raises N100m At Obama Dinner

Mobolaji ALUKO

Aug 13, 2008, 2:09:48 PM8/13/08
to wg...@aol.com, i...@usa.net, NaijaEl...@yahoogroups.com, NaijaP...@yahoogroups.com, USAAfric...@googlegroups.com, nidoa...@yahoo.fr, nidoau...@optusnet.com.au, NIDOC...@yahoogroups.com, NI...@yahoogroups.com

wg...@aol.com:

Thank you o,  my brother - or sister.  This is what  am trying to get these my Nigerian brothers and sisters to understand - outside of IBK, Yemi Oke (and possibly Uche Gwam) who seem to have gotten it.

If you are a Nigerian, our numbers are increasing on the right side of this matter.

Bolaji Aluko
Esquare

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 1:26 PM, <wg...@aol.com> wrote:

I am a legal practitioner in the USA. Certainly, US law does not permit or prohibit the lady from engaging in funraising in Nigeria. (I assume no solicitations were made over the web to folks in the US)

However, anyone's use of these funds inside the USA, and the potential negative political consequences to the candidate are REAL issues.

From: i...@usa.net
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:11:00 +0000
To: <abuj...@yahoogroups.com>; <TalkN...@yahoogroups.com>; <NaijaEl...@yahoogroups.com>; <NaijaP...@yahoogroups.com>; <USAAfric...@googlegroups.com>; <nidoa...@yahoo.fr>; <nidoau...@optusnet.com.au>; <NIDOC...@yahoogroups.com>; <NI...@yahoogroups.com>; Afenmai<afe...@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [NIDOA] Re: [abujaNig] Re: [TalkNigeria] RE: [NaijaElections] Re: Okereke Raises N100m At Obama Dinner

SteveK,

My answer to you is simple. As long as she is not committing a crime, she can collect money for any legal cause of her choice.

You live and work in America so you should know this better than me.

IBK

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone provided by Celtel Tanzania

From: Stevek <stev...@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:54:18 -0700 (PDT)
To: <TalkN...@yahoogroups.com>; <abuj...@yahoogroups.com>; <NaijaEl...@yahoogroups.com>; <NaijaP...@yahoogroups.com>; <USAAfric...@googlegroups.com>; <nidoa...@yahoo.fr>; <nidoau...@optusnet.com.au>; <NIDOC...@yahoogroups.com>; <NI...@yahoogroups.com>; Afenmai<afe...@yahoogroups.com>

Okereke has committed no crime; no crime at all?

Now, ask yourself, in your 'deep thinking' fashion:

Should this woman be collecting money in Nigeria to send to the US to support a presidential candidate of the richest nation in the world while her own nation lie in shambles (even its electoral system) and many life and death causes await support from her and others like her?

Answer this to yourself ONLY. No drama.

Stevek
Washington, D.C., USA

A society of supine lambs breeds erect wolves.

From: Stevek <stevek941@yahoo. com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 06:06:40 -0700 (PDT)
To: <abujaNig@yahoogroup s.com>; <TalkNigeria@ yahoogroups. com>; <NaijaElections@ yahoogroups. com>; <NaijaPolitics@ yahoogroups. com>; <USAAfricaDialogue@ googlegroups. com>; <nidoabidjan@ yahoo.fr>; <nidoaustralia@ optusnet. com.au>; <NIDOCANADA@yahoogro ups.com>; <NIDOA@yahoogroups. com>; Afenmai<afenmai@yahoogroups .com>

The core objective is for one to have the moral fiber to condemn unsavory acts and not to prevaricate and play tackle for these unsavory characters.

You do that all the time!

From: "Igietseme, Joseph (CDC/CCID/NCPDCID) " <jb...@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:15:57 -0400
To: <NaijaElections@ yahoogroups. com>; <NaijaPolitics@ yahoogroups. com>; <USAAfricaDialogue@ googlegroups. com>; <nidoabidjan@ yahoo.fr>; <nidoaustralia@ optusnet. com.au>; <NIDOCANADA@yahoogro ups.com>; <NIDOA@yahoogroups. com>; <TalkNigeria@ yahoogroups. com>; <abujaNig@yahoogroup s.com>; Afenmai<afenmai@yahoogroups .com>

Let's hope that Okereke did her home-work before raising these funds on behalf of Obama; because if this was a thoughtless and impulsive act, it could be characterized as one of those high-powered 419 operations (people using the visibility and influence of their positions to raise enormous funds from the public and private sectors who may want to patronize for a future deal; and without a clear idea of how to remit the funds to Obama) and she will find it difficult to defend her action. I hope it does not lead to major embarrassment for Nigeria and some prominent Nigerians. My two pence opinion on this brewing/developing saga. Joe Igietseme

Aug 13, 2008, 7:09:08 PM8/13/08
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com

BusinnessDay

North’s poverty and its significance

By

Ebere Onwudiwe

13 August, 2008 02:00:00

Font size: Decrease fontEnlarge font

For many years Southerners seethed over resource allocation. The thrust of the complaint has been that successive Northern-led federal regimes inequitably directed national resources to the North. The grievance ultimately found expression in the armed insurgency in the Niger Delta. Now comes a stark revelation: despite the resource allocation, the problem of poverty is greater in the North than in the South.

That is the view of no less an authority than the governor of the Central Bank, Professor Charles Soludo. In a recent address in Kaduna, Soludo suggested that poverty is so prevalent in Northern Nigeria as to constitute a national calamity equivalent to the Niger Delta tragedy.

That raises the obvious question: Where has Nigeria’s oil wealth gone over the years? The South-South is seething. The South East is in distress. Now, we learn authoritatively, what we probably sensed all along, that Northerners are even more impoverished. Has all our wealth gone to the Southwest? It is improbable.

Previous Northern-led administrations would probably cite the poverty in the North as vindication regarding the equity in their allocation of resources. But, of course, it is not that simple. Perhaps, the most significant lesson of the poverty in the North is that judicious use of resources, more so than resource allocation per se, is the weightiest obstacle to national development.

This is a lesson that people of the Niger Delta should take to heart. As they clamor for a more equitable share of the wealth garnered from their territory, they should also work to ensure judicious and transparent use of the allocations. If a substantial portion ends up in European banks, Niger Deltans will remain impoverished, irrespective of what formula is used to share the oil wealth.

The Nigerian masses, in general, should also learn a lesson from the plight of the North. Rather than allow themselves to be used as tools for the enrichment of a few—through appeal to ethnic, regional, and religious differences—they should recognize the value of cross-sectional solidarity. Rather than fight the traditional battles, they should join forces to demand accountability to ensure that the wealth from their land is no longer squandered.

Concern for judicious use of resources, not misguided loyalties—which leaders routinely encourage and reinforce with miniscule gestures and bread crumbs— should guide the political behavior of the masses. Poverty does not discriminate. When resources are misused, ordinary people suffer, irrespective of where they were born or what they believe.

An equally important lesson of the poverty of the North is that economic development is a multifaceted phenomenon and requires a concerted effort and the appropriate value orientation on the part of the government and the governed. Several years ago the National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS) document stated that Nigeria’s plan for prosperity must address the observed paradox whereby some 67 percent of our citizens are dirt poor, despite living in a reasonably rich country. Since that assertion and billions of dollars worth of windfall profits from oil later, millions of Nigerians have fallen deeper into poverty—in the North as well as the South. Mismanagement and unconscionable graft are the heart of this paradox. But there is more than that.

Even when the government has embarked on programs aimed at poverty alleviation, the results have generally been disheartening. For instance, successive governments have recognized the importance of the agricultural sector and sought to make it the cornerstone of poverty alleviation—to no avail. (Even the United States, the largest economy in the world and one of the most industrialized, still considers its agricultural sector the backbone of its economy).

In 1972  Gowon’s  poverty alleviation was built on agriculture. His Accelerated  Food  Production  Programme complete with a dedicated bank, the  Nigerian  Agricultural  and  Co-operative  Bank, achieved nothing. Obasanjo’s 1976 Operation Feed the Nation failed even more woefully, given the huge amount of money sunk in it. Three years later another farming response to poverty, Shehu  Shagari’s Green Revolution Programme  focused on mechanized farming that created new millionaires among the rich and powerful but failed the poor again.

Enter Buhari with another agriculture focused response to poverty, his "Go Back to Land Programme." Another failure. Babangida’s more diversified approached in 1986 didn’t help the poor either, not even with its promised feeder  roads,  electricity,  potable water and toilet facilities  for  the  rural  dwellers through the agency of   Directorate  of  Food,  Roads  and  Rural  Infrastructure ( DFRRI ).

Analyzing the reasons for the failure of each of these programs, would require a book, perhaps several books. What can be said for certain is that either the programs were poorly (including fraudulently) implemented or the people they were supposed to help did not properly take advantage of them. Most likely the blame lies in both directions.

How much of the officially allocated revenues were actually ploughed into the substance of the program and how much were gobbled up by graft and bureaucracy? The lack of rural electrification alone makes poverty alleviation through agriculture of limited effectiveness. (Of course, even cities have no more than anemic electricity supply, but at least they have some.)

Then there is Nigeria’s white-collar culture and ethos of opulence. To be a non-mechanized farmer in our country is to be at the lowest rung of the social ladder. To many, farming is not for the educated, not even for those with only a secondary education. Meanwhile, everybody wants to be perceived as well-off.  In any case, of the money that actually got to the people from the poverty alleviation programs, how much did they invest in self-sustaining agricultural enterprises and how much did they waste on vanity?

As to the greater poverty in the North, it probably reflects a number of unique factors, not the least of which are the geographical expanse (with the resulting population dispersion), the traditional nomadic culture, and the lower rate of educational attainment. Of these factors, the lag in education is one that can readily be addressed.

Massive investment in education in the North will not only help lift the poor there out of poverty, it is in fact, an intelligent long-run economic development strategy for the country as a whole. The notion that we can achieve our 20/20 economic development target while a huge portion of our northern population remains unskilled and illiterate is clearly untenable.

The CBN governor captures this need when he recently said that "The poverty in the North is now becoming a thing of serious concern. The elite and stakeholders should come together to salvage it and they should not allow the region to be left behind ... we should all see the development effort in the country as inclusive."

A formal and vocational education ‘Marshall Plan’ funded by the federal and state governments is one answer. Such a plan should include the goal of gender equity in education for northern girls by funding a compulsory public education to university level. Those who cannot make the grade for admission into universities should be channeled through the vocational education option. The case can be made that the greater marginalization of women in the North is another factor of the region’s greater poverty.

Of course, the challenge in all this is money. Thank goodness revenues from oil and gas are flowing and would flow even more abundantly if the Niger Delta insurgency is brought to an end, now.

The crucial challenge is to ensure that the people—at all levels of government—who are entrusted with programs for uplifting the masses actually implement those programs with principle and dedication. Nigeria can ill afford to deal with another poverty-induced eruption in another region, even as it is seeking to resolve the Niger Delta crisis.

Ayotunde Bewaji

Aug 13, 2008, 7:41:11 PM8/13/08
to USAAfric...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prof.,

I am miffed to see that any one is surprised at poverty in the Northern Nigeria.  Why?  For a long time, we all know that any allocation of resources to Northern Nigeria was always shared among the elite in the North, and never invested in any form of infrastructural or employment empowerment of the people.  The strategic reason is, with poverty you can always have control over people.  When you impoverish people, you can always use them for whatever agendas you deign fit - Maitatsine, Talakawas, Al Majeris, Me Kayas, Me Guards, etc., etc., and they will continue to Rankadede you for the Friday Saras!

Now the Southern states have joined.  Long was the time of old Western Region and developmental mentality of Awolowo.  Amala politics has taken over, and government house in private houses now replace government money in government house - as bad as that was!

Ire o.

Tunde.

Dr. John Ayotunde (Tunde) Isola BEWAJI, FJIM
PhD Philosophy, MA Distance Education
Postgraduate Certificate in Philosophy for Children
Coordinator, Philosophy Section
Department of Language, Linguistics and Philosophy
University of the West Indies, Mona Campus
Kingston 7 Jamaica
Tel:   1-876-927-1661-9 Ext: 2586
        1-876-935-8586 (o)
Fax:  1-876-970-2949ve
Email: john....@uwimona.edu.jm (alternate)
          tunde....@gmail.com (alternate)

Ayoola Tokunbo

Aug 14, 2008, 3:24:57 AM8/14/08
Ebere wrote in his Business Day article:

[...]

In actual fact, the failures of all of these schemes have been examined by scholars. One recent and excellent book which has critically analysed the various agricultural programs and schemes in Nigeria right from  the 1960s up until the era of neoliberalism in Africa is Professor Jeremiah I. Dibua's book: "Modernization and the Crisis of Development in Africa. The Nigerian Experience (Aldershot, England: Ashgate Publishing Limited, 2006). Of particular relevance is the Chapter 6 of the book entitled: "The Dialetics of Agricultural Transformation." In this chapter, Dibua proved that in spite of the billions of dollars expended on IMF/World Bank driven agricultural modernization schemes, not only did the agriculture sector  in Nigeria stagnate, but hunger increased in the land.

Tokunbo Ayoola

Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:41:11 -0700
From: tunde...@yahoo.com
Subject: USA Africa Dialogue Series - Re: From BusinessDay