582 The file attached violates our email policy

dg

Dec 12, 2007, 8:04:21 AM12/12/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps, in...@dme411.com
User sent from a foreign account an email with an attachment to
multiple recipients on our google .premier account

Receives bounces " The following recipient(s) could not be reached: (1
for each recipient.):

dgarley on 12/11/2007 5:43 PM
There was a SMTP communication problem with the
recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator.
<daytona.dmenet.com #5.5.0 smtp;582 The file attached
violates our email policy> "

She forwards it to to my non-google account so I can diagnose the
problem. I forward her email to my google premier account, get same
error.

I copy the attachment from her email to a new email I create on my
exchange server, and send to my google premeir account NO ERROR.

Forward hers again, same error.

WHY is the attachment triggering a filter when attached to her
message, but when I copy the attachment to a new email and send, it is
NOT triggering?

The attachment is a < 600k .jpg

My Postini filter settings:
Productivity - IGNORE
Compressed IGNORE
Message Size 30MB

The sending domain (dmenet.com) is whitelisted (approved sender) for
the organization.

FrankM

Dec 12, 2007, 8:15:46 AM12/12/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
You answered your own question by saying you whitelist your own
domain, not a a good practice. So when you send from your domain to
your domain, you told Postini it is ok.

dg

Dec 12, 2007, 2:38:31 PM12/12/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
We are BOTH on the same domain, sending from the same exchange
server.....

dg

Dec 12, 2007, 2:42:52 PM12/12/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
To clarify:
My google apps domain is dme411.com
My exchange server is dmenet.com

dmenet.com is whitelisted on dme411.com and postini, all emails from
dmenet.com should be allowed to go to the dme411.com domain.

She and I were both sending from the dmenet.com domain to the
dme411.com domain.

Hers bounce, mine don't. Same attachment. (I copied the attachment
from hers outgoing message to the one I created.)

t...@postini.com

Dec 13, 2007, 7:41:14 PM12/13/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Hi dg,

Check both your inbound and outbound attachment manage filters. Do
any of them have rules set to BOUNCE?

Also, what is the name of the file that's getting blocked?

Thanks,
Ted Prodromou
Postini Documentation

dg

Dec 14, 2007, 5:36:04 PM12/14/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Only inbound executables set to bounce.
Something I just noticed is that the file size changes slightly when I
copy the attachment from her email to mine, original size 591KB new
size 557KB wonder what is up with that.....I bet it is related to the
blocking though, what is getting removed by a simple right click copy
right click paste operation??

The fn is "toyota of noonan logo.jpg"

t...@postini.com

Dec 19, 2007, 9:18:50 PM12/19/07
to Postini Support for Google Apps
Hi dg,

I haven't seen this kind of problem before, so I think we should look
at some troubleshooting steps to see what's happening.

It looks like the mail is only quarantined when it's sent by this
particular sender. Can you try to have this sender send other jpg
files (maybe even a small file) and see if they get through? This
could be something about how the sending server handles file
attachments.

Let me know how this works out.

Thanks,
Ted Prodromou