RE: [EBSS] Digest for EB-skeptics@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Bob Marcus

Feb 21, 2016, 10:42:04 PM2/21/16
to EB-sk...@googlegroups.com

BTW

I agree that Scalia’s  decision on eminent domain was wrong but  he joined with other justices in suggesting that eminent domain was abusive (even if it didn’t rise to a constitutional foul)  and exhorting state legislatures to cure the problem, which some did in record time. Scalia read the constitution as it was written – as he saw it  - and didn’t try to improve on it. In earlier years he upheld the right to burning the American flag as a form of protected free speech, even though he found the practice abhorrent. If you look, you will find that he was pretty consistent.

He also had a sense of humor and was a personal friend with Justice Ginsberg, his regular antagonist, which suggests an open mind (except perhaps on religious matters).

Feb 22, 2016, 5:30:03 PM2/22/16
to EB-sk...@googlegroups.com
No text carries its own interpretation and any text can be interpreted in many ways.  So, saying, "as it was written,” is useless. The subject matter of the Second Amendment is militias, not individuals.   I, apparently unlike Scalia, have no access to the thoughts of the writers 200+ years ago.
This is not to say all interpretations are equally justified .

Bernie