Year dropdown in Django admin

grimmus

Feb 20, 2012, 9:47:37 AM2/20/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a car model that contains many fields including a 'year' field. I need the dropdown for this field to display the current year as the first option and also display the previous 25 years as individual options.

I was thinking i could create a list object and then populate the list based on the current year and work my way back to 25 years earlier.

I am not sure how to implement this so it would work in the Django admin area.

Could someone please point me in the right direction with this ?

Thank you in advance.

Denis Darii

Feb 20, 2012, 9:55:43 AM2/20/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
I was in the same situation as you and I found this solution...
in your models.py:
import datetime
YEAR_CHOICES = [] for r in range(1980, (datetime.datetime.now().year+1)): YEAR_CHOICES.append((r,r))

so, your field can now use YEAR_CHOICES:
year = models.IntegerField(_('year'), max_length=4, choices=YEAR_CHOICES, default=datetime.datetime.now().year)

This e-mail and any file transmitted with it is intended only for the person or entity to which is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this communication and destroy all copies.

grimmus

Feb 20, 2012, 10:03:41 AM2/20/12
to django...@googlegroups.com
Excellent,