Bangalore bicycle Championships

Rohan Kini

Apr 27, 2009, 11:33:23 AM4/27/09
to bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
Jagan/Vasu - good show guys (on the time trial event that you guys conducted over the weekend)
I missed the event, but did not miss the excitement - speaking to multiple 'contestants' and checking out the timing chat.

How about having a Bangalore bicycling Championships ?

One race a month (till MTB Himachal or something, so that folks can train for that too.) -  Time trails, Century+ road rides, trail riding, downhill etc etc.
Give each race some pointage (time, points, etc etc)
and end of the season (we can define this) we have a 'winner' or 'winners' and a ton of fun.

Stuff thoughts that I had around this
- we need a different folks who can organize. Not the same ol folks everytime - that way folks get to ride and some folks get to organize too (which is fun too)
- we need to make 'winning' meaningful - if we think its cash that will encourage folks to get up at 6am on Sundays and take part in an event, lets pool in cash for each event.
- we need to make sure it does not die down. Plan the whole thing well in advance and have a set plan. Maybe you enroll for the complete championship :)
- we can look at sponsorships etc - but lets not start on that note, then the whole thing becomes about how to get media, how to get freebies, how to get sponsorship, how to spread the news etc etc - we are doing this cause we love to bicycle. Period. Enjoy something and the rest will all drop into your lap.

thoughts ? Suggestions ? Ideas ?

does this excite anyone ? or is it just me spinning here ?

~ ROhan
@ http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com
awesome cycling group: http://bangalorebikersclub.com

varun murthy

Apr 27, 2009, 11:45:25 AM4/27/09
to Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
Woohoo..awesome..

Im up for volunteering on a few weekends..

Im sure competition itself will be motivation enough for people to turn up..But we could have something like a nominal registration fee and then split it up between the top 3, or even have a winner takes all..

--Varun

Shreelesh Kumar

Apr 27, 2009, 11:50:09 AM4/27/09
to varun murthy, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
Since I'll probably not be able to ride for a while to come, I volunteer to be part of the organising thingy till such time. Only problem is I dont have offs on all weekends but as long as I have one, will be there.

--
Shreelesh Kumar
http://twitter.com/shreelesh

Save Lalbagh. Protect the Trees. Save Bangalore | http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savelalbaghfrommetro/?e

Rohan Kini

Apr 27, 2009, 12:19:44 PM4/27/09
to Abhishek Bhuyan, varun murthy, bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
yup. We could take a nominal fee for the 'Championship'. It does 'pay' to put in that extra effort and train ;)

About the volunteering thing - I was just wondering how we can make this fair for every one (im sure most folks would rather ride than organize)
We could have 'x' number of races of which 'x-y' are mandatory. That way everyone can participate in the organizing in the 'y' bits that they can miss. That way you can also plan your 'season' :)

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:28 PM, Abhishek Bhuyan <abh...@gmail.com> wrote:
This sounds really cool. Varun is right, then people will take it more seriously.

Abhishek Bhuyan

Apr 27, 2009, 11:58:43 AM4/27/09
to varun murthy, Rohan Kini, bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
This sounds really cool. Varun is right, then people will take it more seriously.

Sudhir P

Apr 27, 2009, 12:45:19 PM4/27/09
to Rohan Kini, Abhishek Bhuyan, varun murthy, bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
Wow! Love this! The nominal fees plus top three takes wat remains after expenses of organising, seems a neat thing. But, just the existence of the competition should be motivation enuf. But, the cash part will definitely bring in more folks i guess.

Rohan's x-y funda kinda confuses me. Here's how i understand/misunderstand it: x-y races are mandatory. But, if someone participates in 'r' races, such that (x-y)<r<x.... then its the best of their results that are taken into account.... How will u add up different kinds of races (century/TT etc)? (i totally dunno how the seasons fundas work either)....

Also, another thing probably that needs to be tucked in is: there should be 'z' number of races that a person 'must' volunteer for if he/she wants to be considered for ranking.

Cheers,
Sudhir

p.s: sorry for throwing extra variables into it
--
================================
Sudhir.P

I do not suffer from insanity......
I enjoy it!
================================

rushi

Apr 27, 2009, 12:52:13 PM4/27/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I think there shouldn't be any money involved. No sponsorship,
nothing. Organizing the race should fetch some points..

If you win, you get respect (and/or doping accusations). If you lose,
you will be certified drug-free :-)

On Apr 27, 8:58 pm, Abhishek Bhuyan <abhu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds really cool. Varun is right, then people will take it more
> seriously.
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:15 PM, varun murthy <varun.s.mur...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Woohoo..awesome..
>
> > Im up for volunteering on a few weekends..
>
> > Im sure competition itself will be motivation enough for people to turn
> > up..But we could have something like a nominal registration fee and then
> > split it up between the top 3, or even have a winner takes all..
>
> > --Varun
>
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Rohan Kini <rohan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Jagan/Vasu - good show guys (*on the time trial event that you guys
> >> conducted over the weekend*)
> >> I missed the event, but did not miss the excitement - speaking to multiple
> >> 'contestants' and checking out the timing chat.
>
> >> How about having a *Bangalore bicycling Championship*s ?
>
> >> One race a month (*till MTB Himachal or something, so that folks can
> >> train for that too*.) -  Time trails, Century+ road rides, trail riding,
> >> downhill etc etc.
> >> Give each race some pointage (time, points, etc etc)
> >> and end of the season (we can define this) we have a 'winner' or 'winners'
> >> and a ton of fun.
>
> >> Stuff thoughts that I had around this
> >> - we need a different folks who can organize. Not the same ol folks
> >> everytime - that way folks get to ride and some folks get to organize too
> >> (which is fun too)
> >> - we need to make 'winning' meaningful - if we think its cash that will
> >> encourage folks to get up at 6am on Sundays and take part in an event, lets
> >> pool in cash for each event.
> >> - we need to make sure it does not die down. Plan the whole thing well in
> >> advance and have a set plan. Maybe you enroll for the complete championship
> >> :)
> >> - we can look at sponsorships etc - but lets not start on that note, then
> >> the whole thing becomes about how to get media, how to get freebies, how to
> >> get sponsorship, how to spread the news etc etc - we are doing this cause we
> >> love to bicycle. Period. Enjoy something and the rest will all drop into
> >> your lap.
>
> >> thoughts ? Suggestions ? Ideas ?
>
> >> does this excite anyone ? or is it just me spinning here ?
>
> >> ~ ROhan
> >> @http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com

Rohan Kini

Apr 27, 2009, 1:19:51 PM4/27/09
to rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
ideal world eh ? :)

Vikram Nats

Apr 27, 2009, 1:44:36 PM4/27/09
to Bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy
Hi Jagan,
Too add too what Rohan said we should have individual and team events.Another point I would like too add is that different weightage be given too riders depending on the equipment they are using. You cannot compare a guy riding a Binachi with a guy using a heavier bike in my case a Firefox,equipment in road cycling does make a difference.
As far as funding we can all contribute and we could nominate one person too handle the accounts and we can have a rotaional organizing comitte.

Vikram

Rohan Kini

Apr 27, 2009, 1:55:49 PM4/27/09
to Vikram Nats, Bangalor...@googlegroups.com, Jagannath Moorthy
Vikram, to tell you the truth - the Bianchi is not too much lighter than your Firefox. Not enough to make a difference at these levels of riding.

Dont worry about equipment - while equipment does matter, its more about enjoying the ride and being gamely competitive at the same time.
Its more about the rider on the equipment rather than the equipment under the rider :)

Hitesh Mamgain

Apr 27, 2009, 12:33:18 PM4/27/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
hi guys .. let me know ... i will volunteer no problem.

On Apr 27, 8:58 pm, Abhishek Bhuyan <abhu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This sounds really cool. Varun is right, then people will take it more
> seriously.
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:15 PM, varun murthy <varun.s.mur...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Woohoo..awesome..
>
> > Im up for volunteering on a few weekends..
>
> > Im sure competition itself will be motivation enough for people to turn
> > up..But we could have something like a nominal registration fee and then
> > split it up between the top 3, or even have a winner takes all..
>
> > --Varun
>
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:03 PM, Rohan Kini <rohan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Jagan/Vasu - good show guys (*on the time trial event that you guys
> >> conducted over the weekend*)
> >> I missed the event, but did not miss the excitement - speaking to multiple
> >> 'contestants' and checking out the timing chat.
>
> >> How about having a *Bangalore bicycling Championship*s ?
>
> >> One race a month (*till MTB Himachal or something, so that folks can
> >> train for that too*.) -  Time trails, Century+ road rides, trail riding,
> >> downhill etc etc.
> >> Give each race some pointage (time, points, etc etc)
> >> and end of the season (we can define this) we have a 'winner' or 'winners'
> >> and a ton of fun.
>
> >> Stuff thoughts that I had around this
> >> - we need a different folks who can organize. Not the same ol folks
> >> everytime - that way folks get to ride and some folks get to organize too
> >> (which is fun too)
> >> - we need to make 'winning' meaningful - if we think its cash that will
> >> encourage folks to get up at 6am on Sundays and take part in an event, lets
> >> pool in cash for each event.
> >> - we need to make sure it does not die down. Plan the whole thing well in
> >> advance and have a set plan. Maybe you enroll for the complete championship
> >> :)
> >> - we can look at sponsorships etc - but lets not start on that note, then
> >> the whole thing becomes about how to get media, how to get freebies, how to
> >> get sponsorship, how to spread the news etc etc - we are doing this cause we
> >> love to bicycle. Period. Enjoy something and the rest will all drop into
> >> your lap.
>
> >> thoughts ? Suggestions ? Ideas ?
>
> >> does this excite anyone ? or is it just me spinning here ?
>
> >> ~ ROhan
> >> @http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com

Jagannath Moorthy

Apr 27, 2009, 10:53:45 PM4/27/09
to Hitesh Mamgain, Bangalore Bikers Club
I agree with Rushi, let's not get into prize money at this stage. I am
not that supportive of an entry fee, because the cost of organization
is minimal (< 100 bucks for last Sunday's event) and it can easily be
shared by 3-4 people if it gets higher. The thing that is more
important (and difficult) is getting people to contribute their time
for organizing the events.

On the competition/championship thing, I have a couple of thoughts
- The fitness/skill level in the group varies quite a bit. The slower
riders do it for the love of riding and their own sense of achievement
rather than competing with the faster guys. They may have no issues
joining an informal event but a formal competition may be too
intimidating
- I'm in favour of taking it one event at a time. If we manage to hold
2-3 more events over the next few months and continue to have a good
response, then we will have good momentum to launch a proper
championship.

regards
jagan

Balu

Apr 27, 2009, 11:21:46 PM4/27/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Longer rides may not be all that easy to organize. It requires a lot
of volunteers, food, water, salts, first aid, backup vehicle etc.

Why not pull RFL into this? They are organizing the Duathlon next
month - they can also start organizing rides (of course if they so
desire!). They do fortnightly Sunday runs and have plenty of
experience in this.

Balu

On Apr 28, 7:53 am, Jagannath Moorthy <jaganm1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with Rushi, let's not get into prize money at this stage. I am
> not that supportive of an entry fee, because the cost of organization
> is minimal (< 100 bucks for last Sunday's event) and it can easily be
> shared by 3-4 people if it gets higher. The thing that is more
> important (and difficult) is getting people to contribute their time
> for organizing the events.
>
> On the competition/championship thing, I have a couple of thoughts
> - The fitness/skill level in the group varies quite a bit. The slower
> riders do it for the love of riding and their own sense of achievement
> rather than competing with the faster guys. They may have no issues
> joining an informal event but a formal competition may be too
> intimidating
> - I'm in favour of taking it one event at a time. If we manage to hold
> 2-3 more events over the next few months and continue to have a good
> response, then we will have good momentum to launch  a proper
> championship.
>
> regards
> jagan

Rajat Agrawal

Apr 27, 2009, 11:28:37 PM4/27/09
to Sudhir P, Rohan Kini, Abhishek Bhuyan, varun murthy, bangaloreBikers, thewhitefieldriders
My two cents, please feel free to ignore since I don't have a track record of enthusiastic participation or organization:

yup. We could take a nominal fee for the 'Championship'. It does 'pay' to put in that extra effort and train ;)

- nominal fee, sure bring it on or make it a BYOStuff and share if you can/want

About the volunteering thing - I was just wondering how we can make this fair for every one (im sure most folks would rather ride than organize)

- fair volunteering, does it even exist??  as you might have already experienced for some the love of volunteering and organizing is stronger and the success of an event is an achievement in itself. no point trying to make volunteering fair. it always works out better in the longer run if the organizers are good at delegation and aim not to do everything themselves.

We could have 'x' number of races of which 'x-y' are mandatory. That way everyone can participate in the organizing in the 'y' bits that they can miss. That way you can also plan your 'season' :)

- :) too much IPL eh? how about keeping it simple...
race on xx day; time, venue, type, distance;  come, bust your ass, go home; mail the results next day.
Everything else writeup, photos, videos, groupies!! will happen on its own and if it doesn't happen then no point sweating it.

- instead of prize money why not have a couple of bounty items, whatever, whoever sponsors. Hell most folks will race for nothing better than some official timing, so even if there is a pair of spokes or spare tube or even a bottle of decent lube in bargain its like a cherry.

In case you have something elaborate in mind then be ready to have a smaller audience and smaller participation.

rushi

Apr 28, 2009, 12:30:27 AM4/28/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Not idealistic. Simplistic and hopefully robust. Often these are
orthogonal. Let me uncompress a little bit:

Once we bring in all kinds of regulations and prizes, the proverbial
Argumentative Indian takes over and you're bound to make at least a
few people unhappy. As we'll find out in the next 3-4 days on this
thread :P

Re. support, cycling is easier: carry food in your pockets, hang it
from your bikes whatever. Worst case, stop and eat idlis. In a long
race it won't affect your time all that much. Hopefully, people won't
draft trucks on long road-rides. If they do, they won't survive crits
or short TTs so no worries anyway :)

Re. prizes, how many levels do you foresee? One prize for Samim,
another for road bikes, a third for MTB with slicks, fourth for MTBs,
and a fifth for single-speed? And where do hybrids fit?

Re. the complex algebra of participation vs. organization etc, soon
you'll find that the problem becomes PSPACE-hard. You're better off
taking the "economics way" and build incentive into the mechanism
rather than rules. Hence, offering points for organizing. Earn it the
physically hard way or the mentally hard way.

Taking a lot of possibilities off the table should speed up things by
eliminating a lot of debate. No more armchair cycling.

To give an example of Jagan's TT (JTT?) success, someone exulted after
his TT the other day "Not bad for an MTB!" when he compared his time
to road bikers' times. I think that's pretty good. People will extract
their own satisfaction out of participating.

On Apr 27, 10:19 pm, Rohan Kini <rohan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ideal world eh ? :)

Jagannath Moorthy

Apr 28, 2009, 4:56:39 AM4/28/09
to rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Exactly, for many the satisfaction is in the participation and achieving the targets they have set for themselves.

Let's keep it simple for the next few months, see where it goes and then decide whether bigger plans are feasible. We already have a possible venue for the next event suggested by Deepakrao (off Old Madras Road). Let's go out and do it.

Murali Krishna

Apr 28, 2009, 5:12:31 AM4/28/09
to Jagannath Moorthy, rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Off Old Madras Road???
Any clues on the location? I am surprised hearing that there is a good strech for cycling around old madras road....

- Murali

Rohan Kini

Apr 28, 2009, 11:20:23 AM4/28/09
to Jagannath Moorthy, rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
Like I mentioned initially .. money might/mightnot be a motivation. The idea is to motivate ppl to want to participate. Plan riding might not be enough :)
I dunno .. I am fine with both. We need to make this exciting for folks - we need folks to be pumped up for the next race.

Jagan - I think we have got to think big. Thats when things of substantial value happen. Like what you did with last weekend - you could have just gone for a short ride by yourself.
TfN is a classic example - if Ravi and Gang had decided to just got on a small ride instead of thinking big - thats all it would have been rather than what it turned out to be.
Its awesome to see folks training now for TFN 09. Its awesome to hear someone wanting to graduate his level or riding because of an event. And its all because of a bunch of folks who decided to make it big. Hats off to the tfn team.

When you keep things small - its good fun for a small set of ppl and it dies out sooner !
We are over 800 of us on thi sgroup - why not think a little bigger ? Worst case we have a small ride :) Big deal. Best case - we have a ton of pumped up folks who train for these monthly events. Who talk about this and whose enthu will hopefully convince more folks to give cycling a shot.

Come on guys - there are so many silent observers on this forum. Time to get out of the shell and talk and race :)

How about starting the season at the place Deepak suggsted ?

Sameer Panchangam

Apr 28, 2009, 11:30:58 AM4/28/09
to Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, rushi, Bangalore Bikers Club
yes.. just get started with the season ASAP!

Tweak it.. Make changes along the way.... it'll all get refined by the end of the season!

Idea is to start with bare minimum guidelines or points system to start with and have fun!

--
Thanks!
Sameer Panchangam

Jagannath Moorthy

Apr 28, 2009, 10:35:06 PM4/28/09
to Rohan Kini, Bangalore Bikers Club
Sure, let's start if off. The location is the road leading from OMR towards Devanahalli near the Grindwell Norton factory. When do we schedule it? May 24th ?

varun murthy

Apr 28, 2009, 10:46:44 PM4/28/09
to Jagannath Moorthy, Rohan Kini, Bangalore Bikers Club
Cool..Dates ok for me..

Im up for volunteering this time..

Rohan Kini

Apr 28, 2009, 11:08:46 PM4/28/09
to Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
May 24th seems good :)

we start with another TT ?
any thoughts on how things can be structured ?
- how many races make a season
- points in a race and for organizing
- different kinds of races
- getting folks interested in this
- and how to sustain the interest

Balu

Apr 28, 2009, 11:40:25 PM4/28/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
> - how many races make a season

1 every month?

> - points in a race and for organizing

Time taken for each ride - total points = sum(time_taken_per_race)

> - different kinds of races

Duathlon? :)

> - getting folks interested in this
> - and how to sustain the interest

BLOG/Newletter/Section in BOTS devoted to this?

On Apr 29, 8:08 am, Rohan Kini <rohan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> May 24th seems good :)
>
> we start with another TT ?
> any thoughts on how things can be structured ?
> - how many races make a season
> - points in a race and for organizing
> - different kinds of races
> - getting folks interested in this
> - and how to sustain the interest
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Jagannath Moorthy <jaganm1...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Sure, let's start if off. The location is the road leading from OMR towards
> > Devanahalli near the Grindwell Norton factory. When do we schedule it? May
> > 24th ?

modi

Apr 29, 2009, 2:25:08 AM4/29/09
to Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
how about this, i don't know if this sounds stupid...

we can split it into 4 zones (like N,S,E,W) and have riders from each zone participate in TT in their zone,

The idea is like this

1. Have a zone wise TT, so if its a North TT, then other riders from S,E,W can organize while North zone rider compete.
2. Winners(2/3) from each zone can compete against each other finally towards the end of the month.
3. So each week have 2 zone TT, so in 2 weeks we'll know the winners. And towards the end of the month all the winners can race against each other.

what do you guys think....is it too tough to organize or maintain this format

cheers
modi

Pradeep B V

Apr 29, 2009, 4:50:18 AM4/29/09
to modi, Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
Two things that can make this work

1. repeatability - will happen last sunday of every month
2. predictability - info about the race is available well ahead of time. say a month in advance.

So all it takes to start off is the calender and here is the rough draft to start with:

May 31th - ride to nandi hills from Hebbal and back. 100 kms.
June 28th - trail ride in Sarjapur area 60 kms
July 26th - time trial in ..

And we can adopt F1 scoring mechanism. 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 (10 for the first placed and 8th for the second  placed rider and so on).

Only categories will be for Men and Women.

No pros/amateurs, no road bikes/MTBs, no hybrids, its for the rider to choose the appropriate equipment for the race of the month. This way there can be different types of races over an year. (TT, road, criterium, mountain, downhill, etc .. )

People can participating in the monthly event by:

1. riding
2. volunteering
3. officiating
4. blogging
5. ...

Let the championships begin.

As suggested by wiser people lets not worry about prize money, sponsorships, registration fees...

lets score points first and burn some rubber :-)

- p

--
Pradeep B V

--

Mapunity
Social technology at work

Prashant

Apr 29, 2009, 6:58:52 AM4/29/09
to Pradeep B V, modi, Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
People can participating in the monthly event by:

1. riding
2. volunteering
3. officiating
4. blogging
5. ...
Photography/videpgraphy....

6....

Prashant
--
Thanks

Prashant GY
Go green Go Cycling - http://groups.google.co.in/group/Bangalore-bikers , http://groups.google.co.in/group/ggi-club , http://criticalmassbangalore.blogspot.com/
www.flickr.com/photos/prashantgy

Prashant

Apr 29, 2009, 6:59:15 AM4/29/09
to Pradeep B V, modi, Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
People can participating in the monthly event by:

1. riding
2. volunteering
3. officiating
4. blogging
5. ...
Photography/videography....

6....

Prashant

Sudhir P

Apr 29, 2009, 10:20:57 AM4/29/09
to Prashant, Pradeep B V, modi, Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
Awesome....

Pradeep's format of things seem perfect.... And riding for the honor and not for materialistic prizes. And if there are ~20 riders like there was in the last time trial, that's all we really need. The popularising and stuff will happen in due course, if all goes well

@Modi: Right now i guess we dont have enuf riders to split into zones.... And the more the riders in the particular event, the greater the immediate joy. And also considering the heterogenous distribution of serious riders across the city, a unified thing seems better. The only issue would be that folks will have to ride to the venue early morn... Just keep the start timing a little late as was done in the time trial, and that almost takes care of it.

Regards,
Sudhir

Jagannath Moorthy

Apr 29, 2009, 11:25:40 AM4/29/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
The format is good but I am not so sure of the distances. I think the one reason why people enjoyed the time trial was the duration, you bust your guts for an hour and leave satisfied at the end of it. Not spend 5-6 hours torturing yourself just wishing for the ride to end.  As Rushi mentioned, one of the MTB riders was quite pleased to come close to a road bike's time. On a longer ride, it is going to be very spread out and I doubt anyone is going to say "Wow, I took just 2 hours more than Samim to complete the Nandi ride". I'm sure there are people who will go for it but then you really start to limit the participation.

So, maybe we need to look at shorter distances. How about a 30-40km distance for road races, 20km for offroad and 10k for time trials.

Rohan Kini

Apr 29, 2009, 11:38:57 AM4/29/09
to Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
Good Idea Jagan .. for the 'first season' we could look at shorter distances
We want folks to enjoy this not kill themselves doing it :) - all rides should be short enough to be enjoyable and long enough so that folks can push themselves.
Maybe a good mix of the easy with some harder rides thrown in. We dont want Rushi to get up every race and brush his teeth while racing (nice timing in the TT Rushi :) EPO eh ? ).

Pradeep - good points dude... repeatability, predictability, the points system and the categories ! Fantastic.

Pradeep B V

Apr 29, 2009, 11:59:16 AM4/29/09
to Rohan Kini, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
So shall we go for the first sunday of the month? or the last sunday of the month?

- P

Rohan Kini

Apr 29, 2009, 12:03:00 PM4/29/09
to Pradeep B V, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
How about last Sunday of the month ?
May 31st being the date for the first event of the season.

varun murthy

Apr 29, 2009, 12:18:48 PM4/29/09
to Rohan Kini, Pradeep B V, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
Isnt that way too far away?? Wouldnt want all the hype to die out by the the time the first one starts..

Shreelesh Kumar

Rohan Kini

Apr 29, 2009, 3:03:12 PM4/29/09
to Shreelesh Kumar, varun murthy, Pradeep B V, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
good points .. we need to reconsider the date !

Anyone out here who 'loves' to organize and would like to be a part of the organizing rather than riding ? We could do with a few of these species too :)

sudhindra R

Apr 29, 2009, 4:57:22 PM4/29/09
to Rohan Kini, Shreelesh Kumar, varun murthy, Pradeep B V, Jagannath Moorthy, Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi All,

I am recent addition to the bangalore biker's club. I have started
cycling just few days back, just as a part of my daily exercise and I
have started to love it.

This is new to me and had never dreamed that I would be a part of any
club or so.

I would like to help you guys with the organizing of the event with
whatever best I can.
--
Sent from my mobile device

Thanks & Regards
Sudhindra.R

Rajaram

Apr 30, 2009, 6:27:09 AM4/30/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Rohan - I thinkyou have triggered a great stuff. .. and lot of
creative juices flowing through.

I would luv to volunteer... Let me know how I can chip in.

Rajaram
9845264685

On Apr 30, 1:57 am, sudhindra R <sudhindra....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am recent addition to the bangalore biker's club. I have started
> cycling just few days back, just as a part of my daily exercise and I
> have started to love it.
>
> This is new to me and had never dreamed that I would be a part of any
> club or so.
>
> I would like to help you guys with the organizing of the event with
> whatever best I can.
>
> On 4/30/09, Rohan Kini <rohan.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > good points .. we need to reconsider the date !
>
> > Anyone out here who 'loves' to organize and would like to be a part of the
> > organizing rather than riding ? We could do with a few of these species too
> > :)
>
> > On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Shreelesh Kumar
> > <shreel...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> CM and championship back to back days? Wont people want to rest the day
> >> previous to the championship? If so, wouldn't that eat into the attendance
> >> of CM? I dunno, I'm just guessing.

> >> --
> >> Shreelesh Kumar
> >>http://twitter.com/shreelesh
> >>www.shreeleshkumar.blogspot.com
> >>www.flickr.com/photos/shreeleshkumar
>
> >> Save Lalbagh. Protect the Trees. Save Bangalore |
> >>http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/savelalbaghfrommetro/?e
>
> --
> Sent from my mobile device
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Sudhindra.R- Hide quoted text -

Vasu

May 2, 2009, 7:14:39 AM5/2/09
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Folks,

After the time trial event in April this time its going to be on Old Madras Road heading towards Devanahalli. Detailed route and map to be given later by Jagan.

The format this time will have a couple of changes than the one we had at Sarjapura.

  • you start at point A and go to point B, take a U turn (or V turn, whichever :P) and come back to point A. The start place and end place will be the same.
  • you can (or rather, should) leave your back packs etc at the start point and collect it after the ride.
  • ppl who have clip in pedals will be given support so that they clip in before starting off so that they don't spend the little extra time in clipping in.
  • Ppl are requested to get some water for all of us. The idea is if you want some water at the U turn then instead of carrying water with you, we can have volunteers to hand out water in paper glasses when you take the U turn.
  • Any other ideas are most welcome.
Dates:

Sunday May 24th - Old Madras Road ride.
Sunday June 14th - Nandi Ride.
Sunday July 12th - Trail ride. (guys and gals pls suggest where can we do good trail riding? Sarjapura/Whitefield/Hesarghatta/??)

Poster:

Post it on your blog, put it up in your cubicle....whatever...

Volunteers are as important as riders, if not more. Will be sending out a google doc spreadsheet where in ppl can fill in names and contact numbers and mention if they want to ride or volunteer.

Lets get the wheels rolling soon!!!

Cheerio,
-Vasu

--
Tour of Nilgiris
http://www.tourofnilgiris.com

Rohan Kini

May 3, 2009, 1:46:06 AM5/3/09
to Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
kickass. Glad to see some time lines here !
Am moving the second event to the 21st of June as 14th is the date for the Duathlon that is being organized by RFL.

Am consolidating all the info on the two threads onto this page on the group -
http://groups.google.co.in/group/Bangalore-bikers/edit/bangalore-bicycle-championships

anyone can edit it and shape it up.

Please do share the link with other bikers in the city, blog about it .. speak to others about it.
Even if folks are not interested in participating atleast they know there are a lot of crazy ppl in the city who love to bicycle and would hopefully inspire them to give cycling a shot !

~ ROhan
@ http://blog.bumsonthesaddle.com

awesome cycling group: http://bangalorebikersclub.com

Rohan Kini

May 3, 2009, 2:02:38 AM5/3/09
to Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
yikes - can all of you please use this link - http://groups.google.co.in/group/Bangalore-bikers/web/bangalore-bicycle-championships
(the other link opens it in edit mode !!! )

Shreelesh Kumar

May 3, 2009, 3:21:06 AM5/3/09
to Rohan Kini, Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Do you think we need to obtain some sort of permission for the events? At least for some if not all? There can be potential legal issues with conducting races. Going for rides together is one thing but organising a race of sorts is enough reason for some cop to decide we are have broken some law. I'm started thinking of this cos after the March CM while returning home, we stopped at a shop to have water. We were about 8-10 people. A cop in a passing patrol jeep started barking what we are doing and whether we are 'racing'.

My photog friends and I have had quite a few run ins with rules and permissions, and some of the stuff we've faced is pretty absurd.

The one thing in our favour if we have a problem is that we don't have a sponsor. Its just an informal event, but then again, neither did the weekend drag racers at MG Rd I believe.

Better we plan what to argue/talk if we get questioned.

(the other link opens it in edit mode !!! )

Johnny Jacob

May 4, 2009, 1:16:25 AM5/4/09
to Rohan Kini, Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
A yellow tee-shirt for the winner of the event(stage) ? :)

- Johnny
--
Johnny [johnnyjacob.wordpress.com | johnnyjacob.org]

Jagannath Moorthy

May 4, 2009, 4:38:47 AM5/4/09
to Johnny Jacob, Rohan Kini, Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Great idea.

Does anyone know Samim's size:-)

Rohan Kini

May 4, 2009, 4:41:08 AM5/4/09
to Jagannath Moorthy, Johnny Jacob, Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
hahahaha ..

Johnny - thats a super idea !!! ok .. Yellow tees for winners of each 'stage' :)

modi

May 4, 2009, 5:00:51 AM5/4/09
to Vasu, Bangalore Bikers Club
Typo : Sunday June 14th - Nandi Race (not ride). Changed to 21st June due to Duathlon

We can also change the race venue's every month / have it at Nandi always, one other route i've noticed that is really good is Kanakpura Road (starting from NICE juntion) - Harohalli - Jigani - Bannerghatta - IIMB.  But as of now, near the junction where NICE meets Bannerghatta Road the traffic is chaotic. May be a few months from now the traffic will ease out.

I think we have to seek permission from the concerned authorities.
Conducting races has been in pipeline for a long time and its time for us to put some dates and work towards it (Which has already started)

I've already started preparing for the championships.....at a later point in time we can surely have a separate races MTBers.

Tee's is a good idea.....I can take up the responsibility of getting 2/3 printed. If someone can pitch in into designing one.

cheers
modi

modi

May 13, 2009, 6:43:39 AM5/13/09